We are so lucky...

sidsutton

Surprised nobody has picked up on this. I think our great club has seen more complete players, Paul Scholes being one; Cantona another and Bryan Robson a further example, from the Fergie era.

Rooney is terrific and in electric form, but he must show consistency and do it in the biggest games against the best opposition. He needs to perform in a Champions League final, for a start. He's played in two and was shit in both.

Loving his work at the moment, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
I'll give you Scholes and Robbo as complete players but not Cantona. I think Rooney's got more strings to his bow than Cantona had.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
...That we have Wayne Rooney. He is the most complete player I have ever seen. And it is not fair that many of our fans hold bitter feelings towards him. He has given unbelievable service to the club for nearly 7 seasons. He is simply a remarkable player, and I don't think he is given the appreciation he deserves.
Nonsense.

Great player. Most complete ever? Feck off.

Seveneric

I was so sure this thread was about Fergie tbh as he's imo the only one United's truly lucky to have and probably the only manager who could have gotten this much out of the present team.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Ive said it for years give me a 15 goal 15 assists Rooney playing off the front behind a proper number 9 to a 30 goal a season Rooney poaching off others creativity, the gulf in class is there for all to see, Rooney where hes playing now is one of the best players on the planet, playing as a poacher wastes so much of his game its almost criminal.

mufcwarm92

Another great asset to Rooney's game is his ability to form strong partnerships with strike partners. He's been brilliant alongside Heskey and Owen for England, and he's formed a formidable pair with the likes of Van Nistelrooy, Saha, Tevez, Berbatov and now Hernandez. He's clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed off the pitch but his intelligence on it is nothing short of exceptional.

Widnes

Ronaldo is still the best then Messi, Rooney is certainly one of the best players in world football though.

andualem

In my opinion he is in the best form of his career! Last year he scored heaps of goals but his general play was not as good.

Aaron

:lol:

So naive.
Whereas you'd have to be really clued up, like you, to think that constantly attacking who is our best player, is a positive thing for the club.

Acting like the perennial scorned and jealous lover, isn't an attractive thing.

The funny thing is, people like you probably have all the time in the world for a player like George Best. Rightfully so but you're nothing short of a hypocrite for doing so as Best, when he walked out on the club at his peak, committed a far more offensive act against Manchester United than Rooney ever did.

But I suspect there's little attention to be gained from 'not forgiving' George Best. Which makes any assertion that you've not forgiven Rooney out of principle, to look complete and utter bollocks.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Rooney only did it a few months ago, And Keane and Rio never actually put in transfer requests and say that their team mates are not good enough to match his ambitions, something they are now proving him wrong on.

Although when Keane did question if certain players where good enough he was shown the door.
I'm fine with people deciding they won't forgive him. That's their perogative. But please, please stop perpetuating this bullshit myth that he said his current team mates don't match his ambitions. He never said that (nor did he hand in a transfer request fwiw)

He questioned whether the club was willing or able to sign player IN THE FUTURE who will keep United competing on all fronts. Bearing in mind this exact same concern weighs heavy on the mind of all United fans, it's important we're absolutely clear about what he said.

Fergie's gum

Love you too John, sweetiepie. ;)

In all seriousness, I still fail to see how he dare criticise the ambition of the club and the ability of our players. It was a very bizzare rant, in an attempt to increase wages one would guess. It was an insult and embarrassment to the club and manager, the greatest one of all time. His interview after the incident showed what an impact it had on him. Hard to forgive him for that.
TBF that's what half of our fans where doing over the summer too. I mean when we started the season without signing a CM, we were all wondering how we'll manage

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
I'll give you Scholes and Robbo as complete players but not Cantona. I think Rooney's got more strings to his bow than Cantona had.
I don't say Cantona is 'the' complete player, but in my opinion more than Rooney. Cantona could've played in just about any position. He could've played centre-half and bossed it.

Either way, whether we agree on Cantona or not, the opening statement was ridiculous.

Another great asset to Rooney's game is his ability to form strong partnerships with strike partners. He's been brilliant alongside Heskey and Owen for England, and he's formed a formidable pair with the likes of Van Nistelrooy, Saha, Tevez, Berbatov and now Hernandez. He's clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed off the pitch but his intelligence on it is nothing short of exceptional.
I don't agree with those two.

In my opinion, Rooney and Owen have never had a good partnership. Not for England, not for United. For England, they never really gelled and certainly not on a regular basis. For United there's been limited opportunity but last season it was tried a few times at home and they just never seem to combine or click.

There have been a few flitters and signs this season, but Rooney-Berbatov has never properly worked, for me. He looks more natural with Hernandez in the shorter time he's been with us.

I'm all for the Rooney-love, guys and girls, but lets just not make shit up to suit, eh?!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We are lucky to have Fergie. He's behind everything, and I love our current team set up and the attitude

Treble

We are very lucky to have Sir Alex. Every player would be lucky to play for Manchester United under Sir Alex.

Laphroaig

Tevez and Rooney was never a formidable pairing.

When Rooney plays like he's doing now, he's such a joy to watch. But it is a shame that every season he'll go through at least one rather long spell of being shite. At his best, he's one of the best, but he'll need to perform consistently to deserve to be mentioned with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi, in my opinion.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We are very lucky to have Sir Alex. Every player would be lucky to play for Manchester United under Sir Alex.
Agree. And to play for Manchester United in general IMO. We're lucky as United supporters as well.

I don't think this club is particularly lucky to have Rooney. It's had better and it actually went ahead and signed him. It's not like he decided to do some charity and bless United with his talent.

Fletcher's Jilted Lover

He's the man!
Rooneys a great player, but hes nowhere near the level of Messi, to be fair no one is though so its no disgrace.
I'd go with that, but I wouldn't trade Rooney for Messi. Same like when we had Ronaldo here, and at a choice out of keeping Rooney or Ronaldo at the time, although Ronaldo was/is the better player, I'd have chosen to keep Rooney as he is more important for the us, hes the heartbeat of the team, and should be kept at all costs, even with his 200k a week....

Aint gota Kalou

He's still too inconsistent to be considered one of the top 4 or 5 players in the world. Once he sorts that out he'll be in the top 3 comfortably, such a talented player.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
12 goals and 7 assists for Rooney, 17 goals and 4 assists for Ronaldo.

12 games he's not scored in since January compared to Rooney's 11.

Ronaldo scored the winner against Barcelona, the equaliser against Barcelona, the winner against Atletico, a winning hattrick against Villareal and a winning double against Getafe.

Rooney scored the winner against Chelsea, the equaliser against Chelsea, the winner against City, a winning hattrick against West Ham, a winning double against Villa.

They've been very similar in their decisiveness and productivity but I don't think Ronaldo can quite match the performance level.

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
...That we have Wayne Rooney. He is the most complete player I have ever seen. And it is not fair that many of our fans hold bitter feelings towards him. He has given unbelievable service to the club for nearly 7 seasons. He is simply a remarkable player, and I don't think he is given the appreciation he deserves.
He might be the most complete player you've ever seen, but he's not a patch on Georgie Best or Bobby Charlton.

You do realise that this is the same Wayne Rooney that held this club to ransom, stating that he didn't think this team was good enough to win the trophies he craved for. But then of course completely changed his mind when a big fat increase in wages was slapped on the table.

pauldyson1uk

In all seriousness, I still fail to see how he dare criticise the ambition of the club and the ability of our players. It was a very bizzare rant, in an attempt to increase wages one would guess. It was an insult and embarrassment to the club and manager, the greatest one of all time. His interview after the incident showed what an impact it had on him. Hard to forgive him for that.
Excellent post and sums up my feelings 100%

Aaron

I love the way people, like you, think that these things are set by catalogue number. As if you look it up in the index and cross reference it to find out the precise names of all the top 10 players in the world. Like it's the same as measuring a countries landmass, number of oceans or how many planets in a solar system.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
12 goals and 7 assists for Rooney, 17 goals and 4 assists for Ronaldo.

12 games he's not scored in since January compared to Rooney's 11.

Ronaldo scored the winner against Barcelona, the equaliser against Barcelona, the winner against Atletico, a winning hattrick against Villareal and a winning double against Getafe.

Rooney scored the winner against Chelsea, the equaliser against Chelsea, the winner against City, a winning hattrick against West Ham, a winning double against Villa.

They've been very similar in their decisiveness and productivity but I don't think Ronaldo can quite match the performance level.
Fair enough.

Aaron

Rooney and Ronaldo are different types of players. I don't see the need for direct comparison. They don't really perform the same role for the team. Ronaldo, for example, will seldom, if ever, be asked to drop deep or to hold from midfield or any of the other duties Rooney is often asked to do.

amolbhatia50k

I love the way people, like you, think that these things are set by catalogue number. As if you look it up in the index and cross reference it to find out the precise names of all the top 10 players in the world. Like it's the same as measuring a countries landmass, number of oceans or how many planets in a solar system.
I have no idea what you're on about.

Mess is better than Rooney by quite a good bit.

amolbhatia50k

How exactly does one make that specific (and incorrect) a judgement based on a laughing smiley ?

DocRockter

The best outfield player in 2011.. Does it all and finally starts to find the net after frustrating fall and winter..

Aaron

How exactly does one make that specific (and incorrect) a judgement based on a laughing smiley ?
It isn't incorrect at all. You laughed, indicating you disagreed with it. Now if you didn't THINK what the person said was correct, why not say so and make a point. When you dismiss someone's post like that you're seen to dismiss the content and dismissing the content whilst providing absolutely no counter to what the person said, is poor.