Weird feelings of football

jem

United went through a rapid, two-year modernization transformation, whereby the United of 2001 to this day seems relatively recent and doesn't appear to be from another era (Beckham and with their shaved heads, Scholes looking much like he would for the rest of his career...) while the 1999 side looks like it belongs to a completely different time - shirts tucked in, goals scored in that slightly awkward scrappy way that's the hallmark of old football compilations. Even Fergie seemed to age in dog years over that time span.

jem

Adem Ljajic is still a raw, up and coming prospect who may yet end up at United.

Reddy Rederson

I hate city more than I hate liverpool. Im very conflicted about it. The city manufactured pop team just gets under my skin and I find my self despising it for its shameful approach to success and the disneyfication of football to white wash the reputation of the Saudis. I know what Im supposed to say when asked who should win the league, but I just cant bring myself to say it should be those cnuts.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
United went through a rapid, two-year modernization transformation, whereby the United of 2001 to this day seems relatively recent and doesn't appear to be from another era (Beckham and with their shaved heads, Scholes looking much like he would for the rest of his career...) while the 1999 side looks like it belongs to a completely different time - shirts tucked in, goals scored in that slightly awkward scrappy way that's the hallmark of old football compilations. Even Fergie seemed to age in dog years over that time span.
Incredible, I always felt the same way too. Maybe it was the switch from Sharp to Vodafone as our shirt sponsor (followed shortly by the switch from Umbro to Nike).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Watching the "old" premier league games, early 90s every goal seems to come from a long ball and defender completely misjudging the ball or being out of position.

Winrar

Morten gamst pedersen is still at Blackburn waiting to be promoted to PL so that he can have the game of his life against us once again

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
2019 is pretty strong
2017/2018 Equally
2016/2017 FAcup by far, also best semis ever
2015/2016 league cup
2014/2015 league cup only slight
2013/2014 league cup
2012/2013 FA cup
2011/2012 FA cup

so it's pretty much a tie for me
How are you rating these because it seems to make no sense?

2019 has a League One side in the League Cup semis, I doubt we'll be seeing that in the FA Cup, so without even seeing the draw I'll say FA Cup.
2018 had a Championship side there, while the FA Cup had four Premier League sides. FA Cup.
2017 had a Hull side that were relegated that season, and Southampton, while the FA Cup had four teams from the top 6. FA Cup.
2016 was an all Premier League affair for both competitions, slightly edged by the League Cup.
2015 was three Premier League sides in each, except a League One side played in the League Cup, and a Championship side in the FA Cup, so the FA Cup just edges it.
2014 was League Cup quite easily.
2013 was FA Cup easily, by virtue of a League Two side not being there.
2012 was FA Cup too, because it as all Premier League while the League Cup had an all Championship tie.

That makes it six FA Cups stronger in the last eight years, and I'd wager that number just increases the further back you go. You weirdly had 2018 as equal, despite there being a Championship side in the League Cup, then said 2017 was FA Cup by far when it as all Premier League in both sets.

Red00012

Nobody replicated the Tomas Brolin free kick goal he scored in 94 World Cup goal for Sweden v Romania

RochaRoja

It may have happened over a decade in reality but “Fergie” becoming “Sir Alex”, and him starting to wear glasses and that massive black coat all happened at the exact same time.

Wenger also stopped wearing glasses as soon as Fergie started.

IronCroos37

How are you rating these because it seems to make no sense?

2019 has a League One side in the League Cup semis, I doubt we'll be seeing that in the FA Cup, so without even seeing the draw I'll say FA Cup.
2018 had a Championship side there, while the FA Cup had four Premier League sides. FA Cup.
2017 had a Hull side that were relegated that season, and Southampton, while the FA Cup had four teams from the top 6. FA Cup.
2016 was an all Premier League affair for both competitions, slightly edged by the League Cup.
2015 was three Premier League sides in each, except a League One side played in the League Cup, and a Championship side in the FA Cup, so the FA Cup just edges it.
2014 was League Cup quite easily.
2013 was FA Cup easily, by virtue of a League Two side not being there.
2012 was FA Cup too, because it as all Premier League while the League Cup had an all Championship tie.

That makes it six FA Cups stronger in the last eight years, and I'd wager that number just increases the further back you go. You weirdly had 2018 as equal, despite there being a Championship side in the League Cup, then said 2017 was FA Cup by far when it as all Premier League in both sets.
I only care about the presence of top6 teams in the semis, and finals. Dont give a damn if there is CH or PL or L1.

Sara125

Ashley young and lingard are both still only 20 years old

Edit: also, young never played for villa- he has been at united his whole career

Last edited:

jem

Watching the "old" premier league games, early 90s every goal seems to come from a long ball and defender completely misjudging the ball or being out of position.
Or from the simplest of Giggsy hip swivels, or the most insouciant of Cantona backheels. Or else it was an outrageous Hughes overhead from over 20 yards out. In any event, Brian McClair is inevitably the first on the scene to celebrate with the scorer.

jem

Every time I watch a Le Tissier greatest goal competition, there is a new belter that I have never seen before.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Or from the simplest of Giggsy hip swivels, or the most insouciant of Cantona backheels. Or else it was an outrageous Hughes overhead from over 20 yards out. In any event, Brian McClair is inevitably the first on the scene to celebrate with the scorer.
I saw a United 90-92 vid the other day, and Hughes really didn't score easy goals.
Literally every single goal was some ridiculous finish. I can't think of a player since who has been like that

JSArsenal

No goalkeeper has ever saved a great penalty kick. Every penalty save ever has been because the kicker took an awful penalty.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Pogba always plays his best when he doesn't have any stupid hairstyles or dye in his hair.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Sergio Romero has a built-in ball magnet that makes every shot hit him. That’s why he appears to be so good.

Idxomer

Every Atletico Madrid win is 1-nil with Griezmann scoring.

Roy Keane never played in a World Cup.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
TV used to show SAF chewing gum furiously only when the game and outcome were on the line .

The Firestarter

Keepers shooting the ball from hands always appear to be going outside the penalty area but it's never sanctioned.

Eplel

No goalkeeper has ever saved a great penalty kick. Every penalty save ever has been because the kicker took an awful penalty.
Correction: every penalty kick save ever has been because the goalkeeper cheated and moved forward before the kick was taken.

Take a look at the 2005 final. Dudek and Dida did that in almost every kick.

EDIT: CORRECTION ON MYSELF, ONLY DUDEK DID IT.

Cockney Phil

I could never get my head around why gifted players like Wilkins, Webb and even Carrick, with the ability to shoot with lethal accuracy always seemed to hold back even when in range. Wilkins scored that goal against Brighton but he always looked constricted when he played for us. We went delirious when Webb scored that cracker on his debut at OT against the Groaners, but then he also faded away. Presently: Andreas Pereira has scored some great goals but against Reading, I saw his shot in the last minutes, and thought there fades another one.

I could never get my head around why gifted players like Wilkins, Webb and even Carrick, with the ability to shoot with lethal accuracy always seemed to hold back even when in range. Wilkins scored that goal against Brighton but he always looked constricted when he played for us. We went delirious when Webb scored that cracker on his debut at OT against the Groaners, but then he also faded away. Presently: Andreas Pereira has scored some great goals but against Reading, I saw his shot in the last minutes, and thought there fades another one.
You could say the same for Pogba.
Think he's only scored 3 goals for us outside the box.
I thought long distant shooting was one of his strengths.

Pughnichi

Every time I watch a Le Tissier greatest goal competition, there is a new belter that I have never seen before.
Would have loved him to sign. Would have been an earlier version of the Sheringham effect. Class plyer

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
You could say the same for Pogba.
Think he's only scored 3 goals for us outside the box.
I thought long distant shooting was one of his strengths.
Long distance shooting is inefficient, even if you are very good at it. It is also very predictable, many footballers need some time to adjust themselves while shooting from long range and a smart midfielder / defender will figure it out.

For a very low probability to score, you lose two things most of the time: (1) the Ball and (2) the opportunity to create a chance with a higher chance of scoring

It can be good in some scenarios if you are extremely dominant against a side which is parking the bus and you are regularly on the edge of the box, then it makes sense to have as many shots on goal as possible. But in usual matches where both sides have a go, losing the ball is worse.

Would have loved him to sign. Would have been an earlier version of the Sheringham effect. Class plyer
Nah,Soton was perfect for him.
He had the ability/talent to play for a bigger club but not the right mentality.
Numerous stories out there of him missing games due to going on a bender with the lads.

Tarrou

Everton have never been a good or bad PL team since its started, they've always been bang average

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’ve noticed this before but it even applies to football in general. Everything looks old as shit in 1999 but really modern by 2001, 2 and 3.

Cockney Phil

Long distance shooting is inefficient, even if you are very good at it. It is also very predictable, many footballers need some time to adjust themselves while shooting from long range and a smart midfielder / defender will figure it out.

For a very low probability to score, you lose two things most of the time: (1) the Ball and (2) the opportunity to create a chance with a higher chance of scoring

It can be good in some scenarios if you are extremely dominant against a side which is parking the bus and you are regularly on the edge of the box, then it makes sense to have as many shots on goal as possible. But in usual matches where both sides have a go, losing the ball is worse.
Long range shooting is only inefficient and predictable with good or average players. But we had a legend called Sir Bobby Charlton. Portugal ignored his skills and he won the Semi. West Germany was so scared of his long range shooting they put Beckenbauer on him. His record at United was only beaten by Rooney. It’s actualy about ability and mind set. Modern players are programmed to pass even when the chance to shoot is in front of them. The great players like Ronnie rise above it and let loose from all distances.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Long distance shooting is inefficient, even if you are very good at it.
That's just not true. You think that's the case because of stats that say that for every 30 long shots only 1 goes in, but the thing is that out of the other 29, plenty will lead to corners, freekicks, chances, etc.. in this sport you can't measure what's efficient or not even close to accurately. Stats are a load of nonsense more often than not.

Possession isn't that valuable in football that makes losing the ball to a goal kick a problem, it might be inefficient if you're Barcelona and value possession that highly as a strategy but for most teams it's not a problem.

If it's effective or not depends entirely on the team's strategy and the circumstances of the play.

Last edited:

sugar_kane

David De Gea erroneously believes that goalkeepers are permitted to use their feet but only if their eyes are closed when they kick the ball.