Other Weird youtube rabbit holes

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The algorithm recommended me Not Just Bikes today and now I've watched seven videos or so about urban planning and its effects on culture and behaviour.

Suv666

The algorithm recommended me Not Just Bikes today and now I've watched seven videos or so about urban planning and its effects on culture and behaviour.

Wow this is incredibly fascinating

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Got recommended him a few months ago and lead me down a rabbit hole where I wondered if I should've become an urban planner

Abizzz

I've watched a few dozen of his videos too but grown tired of his arrogant tone and blindness to the fact that not everyone wants to live and work within a 5mile radius. Basing everything on bicycles is fine if your country is as flat as a pancake and the size of Massachusetts, but it isn't for everyone.

Maagge

I've watched a few dozen of his videos too but grown tired of his arrogant tone and blindness to the fact that not everyone wants to live and work within a 5mile radius. Basing everything on bicycles is fine if your country is as flat as a pancake and the size of Massachusetts, but it isn't for everyone.
No one is forcing anyone to live close to their workplace. I'm sure Dutch people commute as well. However, making residential zones purely residential and killing all modes of transport except cars is surely nonsensical no matter how far you prefer to live from your workplace. And it's not like the roads are great at moving cars anyway under the American design philosophy.

Abizzz

No one is forcing anyone to live close to their workplace.
If motorized transport becomes so prohibitively complicated that the costs outweigh the benefit (the premise of most of his videos) one is changing people's behavior. I didn't say anyone was forced, I merely said not everyone preferred what he constantly advocates as the solution to basically everything.
I'm sure Dutch people commute as well. However, making residential zones purely residential and killing all modes of transport except cars is surely nonsensical no matter how far you prefer to live from your workplace. And it's not like the roads are great at moving cars anyway under the American design philosophy.
The thing is American roads, at least the highways, were never designed with that in mind. They were thought of by a former military leader after his experiences in a military campaign. They don't just move all those cars, they move all the trucks with all the stuff too... and buses, and emeregency vehicles etc. American roads don't suck because of the roads, they suck because the railroads suck, because local transport sucks, because everyone is forced to drive because driving has been so successful it killed of all other means (besides flying) of transport.

That said traffic in Rotterdam, between Utrecht and Amsterdam, in the Hague or Eindhoven parallels anything in the US (outside NYC and California maybe, i've not been everywhere... yet).

If I flew a drone over a bunch of Favelas and told everyone how horrible non car communities are it would be similarly one sided.

Last edited:

Sparky Rhiwabon

I'm concerned that a series called “Not just bikes” is still going to be a lot about bikes.

Maagge

If motorized transport becomes so prohibitively complicated that the costs outweigh the benefit (the premise of most of his videos) one is changing people's behavior. I didn't say anyone was forced, I merely said not everyone preferred what he constantly advocates as the solution to basically everything.
No but your sole reason for dismissing his points about urban planning in your first post on the topic was that not everyone wants to live and work within a five mile radius. There was nothing else to discuss. And that's obviously not a great argument as having suburbs with shops and other businesses and public transport doesn't mean people can't live further away from their workplace than five miles if they so please. This post is much more interesting.
The thing is American roads, at least the highways, were never designed with that in mind. They were thought of by a former military leader after his experiences in a military campaign. They don't just move all those cars, they move all the trucks with all the stuff too... and buses, and emeregency vehicles etc. American roads don't suck because of the roads, they suck because the railroads suck, because local transport sucks, because everyone is forced to drive because driving has been so successful it killed of all other means (besides flying) of transport.

That said traffic in Rotterdam, between Utrecht and Amsterdam, in the Hague or Eindhoven parallels anything in the US (outside NYC and California maybe, i've not been everywhere... yet).

If I flew a drone over a bunch of Favelas and told everyone how horrible non car communities are it would be similarly one sided.
I agree that cars are successful because all other modes of transport suck, but I'd say it's more a case of people "being forced" into cars because the infrastructure has been designed to be car friendly and pedestrian/cyclist hostile. Of course people are welcome to think that that's great. Personally I like being able to walk from my home to various places (maybe because cars are very expensive here and that I like not having to drive home after a drink).

I think you have to explain to me how a very rich country designing their suburbs to only be accessible by car and comparing that to another rich country designing their cities to be accessible by different modes of transport is similar to poor people living in a place where they can't afford a car and where it probably would be impractical anyway.

EDIT: Although I guess you're actually saying American urban planning is the favelas with regards to motorism.

Last edited:

Abizzz

No but your sole reason for dismissing his points about urban planning in your first post on the topic was that not everyone wants to live and work within a five mile radius. There was nothing else to discuss. And that's obviously not a great argument as having suburbs with shops and other businesses and public transport doesn't mean people can't live further away from their workplace than five miles if they so please. This post is much more interesting.
I did not dismiss every single point he has ever made. I simply stated why I've grown tired of him.
I agree that cars are successful because all other modes of transport suck,
You have this the wrong way around. The US used to have among the best trains for such a vast country, every larger city had trams of some sort. However the automobil at one point made it viable for everyone of modest means to live on their own piece of land with the freedom of travelling anywhere within a certain range. And people chose that over what had previously existed (which wasn't luxury highrises or modern dutch row houses, it was the tenements the free market had on offer). To be clear i'm all in favor of modern developments to reignite whats been lost (tram in Detroit, the big dig in Boston etc.), however I don't think it benefits anyone to continually blame 1 form of transport for the woes of all the others.

Dutch cities are an entirely different proposition with a different past and different social and economical structures. The one I've briefly lived in (Utrecht) was essentially still planned around the canals. That layout obviously suited bikes a lot better than cars, and they've built to that strength (fine by me). Being able to walk anywhere was also nice. However anyone my age who wanted a home with a garden would need to win the lottery. People with limited means (not the poor!) basically have no opportunity to own anything other than a flat, if that. The young professionals around me pretty much all shared flats with others (and they earned decent). If they wanted a garden they'd have to move so far that it wouldn't be practical nor financially doable to drive in every day.
but I'd say it's more a case of people "being forced" into cars because the infrastructure has been designed to be car friendly and pedestrian/cyclist hostile. Of course people are welcome to think that that's great. Personally I like being able to walk from my home to various places (maybe because cars are very expensive here and that I like not having to drive home after a drink).
Trust me, me not loving his videos won't keep you from walking from work. You're safe.
I think you have to explain to me how a very rich country designing their suburbs to only be accessible by car and comparing that to another rich country designing their cities to be accessible by different modes of transport is similar to poor people living in a place where they can't afford a car and where it probably would be impractical anyway.

EDIT: Although I guess you're actually saying American urban planning is the favelas with regards to motorism.
I'm referring to his constant focusing on walmart parking lots etc. He doesn't show suburbs like Royal Oak
that exist in practically every north American city. He act's like the lessons of Levittown were never learned and every car centered metropolitan area is like the worst example he can find.

It's like me saying every non car centric community is shit and showing a Favela as proof.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Just stumbled across this shouty angry Irish guy who’s obsessed with watches and I’ve been laughing my bollocks off watching some of his videos.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Over the last days I've spent way too much time watching videos of animals getting groomed. Mostly cats and dogs, but I also found one of a sheep that ran into a forest and hadn't been sheared for six years. Sometimes it's just satisfying, sometimes they're funny as hell.

This one made me laugh quite hard

Here's that poor sheep

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Over the last days I've spent way too much time watching videos of animals getting groomed. Mostly cats and dogs, but I also found one of a sheep that ran into a forest and hadn't been sheared for six years. Sometimes it's just satisfying, sometimes they're funny as hell.

This one made me laugh quite hard

Here's that poor sheep

Mr Sheep really felt that lockdown.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I started 7 or 8 hours ago watching these videos, and still haven't stopped :nervous: what a fecking rabbit hole and messed up people there are in the world!
I would apologize if the channel wasn't great. :D

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Never thought I could sit for hours like that but I did :lol: Even made my wife sit and watch the case of Dalia that hired a hitman to kill her husband! :lol:

That channel is brilliant I've watched every single one.

Much Better than tv programmes.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Brilliant I need some stuff to watch before bed.
It’s funny how that’s exactly when most fans of the stuff like to watch it and it helps them relax and wind down and how that would be unfathomable to plenty of other people. I have to use headphones when my gf stays over because she always says it gives her freaky dreams? I sleep very well:lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Hey JP you might like this. We could have similar taste? I also like true crime and psychology stuff.

I like psychology but not so much true crime. I like science in general.

JPRouve

Scout
Do you have any other psychology recommendations?
Unfortunately not in that kind of format. I think that this channel reached my feed through MIT opecourseware, there are a few psychology courses in the channel.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Unfortunately not in that kind of format. I think that this channel reached my feed through MIT opecourseware, there are a few psychology courses in the channel.
Nice one. Cheers for the heads up. I’ve seen those MIT videos but they are usually long lectures and maybe slightly intimidating not knowing where to start but I’ll have a better rummage this evening.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Hey JP you might like this. We could have similar taste? I also like true crime and psychology stuff.

this could seriously push people towards violent crime, just by listening and seeing his face

what an annoying tit!

edit: if you like criminal psychology stuff you probably seen this already, but in case you haven't: JCS - Criminal Psychology - YouTube,
it's kind of watchable, even though the author's insights are very, very basic and obvious. But some of the cases are interesting.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Girl with the Dogs. I don't know how it ended up in my recommendations but I've watched about 20 videos of dogs being groomed now.