g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

FA Premier League

West Ham United 3:1 Manchester United

London Stadium

Kick-off
Sat, 29 September 2018 @ 12:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 52 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Long term gain.

We're not winning the league again until Woodward and the Glazers go so if any right minded fan as you put it should be putting his or her energies into that instead of worrying about a dead rubber against West Ham.
    Woodward and The Glazers will be here for a long while, yet. The Glazers are making too much money from this cash cow which keeps giving. Why on Earth would The Glazers sell the club?
    And Woodward is doing a fantastic job turning MUFC into the biggest money making machine in World football. Why on Earth would he be asked to leave?

The objective is to spend the least amount of money, while earning the most. Simple. The Summer transfer window with a net spend of about £50M was all part of that business plan. If Jose fails to get top 4, Woodward will have egg on his face and his bosses won't be pleased. And Jose....he'll get fired.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    But he backed Van Gaal too.

In fact he has a history of doing that with managers.

The fact that he didn't back him in the market and even briefed why speaks greater volumes.
    The damage during LVG's time at MUFC, occurred during that December, when we lost/drew every match. We went from 1st place to 6th (I think). At no stage that I remember, did Woodward speak to investors stating that LVG would take us to the top. He may have told the press that he is backing the manager, but speaking to investors is a completely different story, as money is involved.

Redo91

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    It will be interesting to see if Pogba starts, is on the bench or not even in the squad. It will be very telling regarding what's been happenning.
    However, I don't see a win but I felt like that before Watford so who knows ? Is Arnautovic back ?

Also I think McTominay needs to ask to go on loan in Jan - he won't develop sitting on the bench every week.

CA1

Woodward and The Glazers will be here for a long while, yet. The Glazers are making too much money from this cash cow which keeps giving. Why on Earth would The Glazers sell the club?
    And Woodward is doing a fantastic job turning MUFC into the biggest money making machine in World football. Why on Earth would he be asked to leave?

The objective is to spend the least amount of money, while earning the most. Simple. The Summer transfer window with a net spend of about £50M was all part of that business plan. If Jose fails to get top 4, Woodward will have egg on his face and his bosses won't be pleased. And Jose....he'll get fired.
    I never said they do want to sell or that they want Woodward to leave did I?

Quite the opposite actually. Woodward does a good job in their eyes. Makes them money. And while they're making money they won't sell up.

So like I say we can kiss goodbye to success as a club unless the fans unite and do something more.

Canagel

It will be interesting to see if Pogba starts, is on the bench or not even in the squad. It will be very telling regarding what's been happenning.
    However, I don't see a win but I felt like that before Watford so who knows ? Is Arnautovic back ?
    He starts. Mourinho said today in the press conference.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
    To be fair, Valencia's form has dipped massively this season.

J_XO

McTominay gets the nod over Pereira because of his height. Can’t be anything else.

Mcking

Young should play right-back if reports are correct.
    After Young' Brighton performance, I'd rather Darmian tbh. Whoever it is anyway will be up against Anderson and even Azpilicueta struggled to contain him at times.

Red Royal

Struggling to get at all excited for this. The last week on and off the pitch have been a bad joke and is an embarrassment to this great club. Part of me wants Mou and Pogba to feck off and leave us in the hands of Carrick and McTominay instead. I still hope though (fading hope) that this is just some media stunt and somehow we get over it.
    Im sure by 12.30 tomorrow i will be up for the game and be desperate for us to perform well and win.

Difference between a fan and someone just here for the pay cheque i guess

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    My respect for Mourinho will go up a few notches if he leaves Lukaku and Matic on the bench.

J_XO

Can already imagine tomorrow’s main topic will be why didn’t we sign Felipe Anderson/Arnautovic

Irrational.

I have a bad feeling about this game. Our bad form, combined with West Ham getting their shit together and generally being a bogey side for us (I will never forgive them for costing us a CL place under LvG at the last ever game to be played at the Boleyn Ground) does not bode well. I will be delighted with a point.

Canagel

Cheers bro. Maybe the whole thing is being blown out of proportion then :wenger: ?
    Of course it is. Morninho needs to win games and to do that you need your best players. He's not in a position to even think about dropping Pogba. I mean we barely create enough with him in the team so imagine without? They have to put their differences aside for now and focus on the football.

The Red Roman

Telecast Schedule and Info

...VS....

Date - Saturday, September 29 2018
    Kickoff Time - 1230 Hrs BST
    Venue - London Stadium, Stratford, London

League standings and form guide

7. Manchester United: LLWWD

17. West Ham: LLLWD

Previous Meetings

West Ham 0—0 Manchester United

Manchester United 4—0 West Ham

West Ham 0—2 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—1 West Ham

West Ham 3—2 Manchester United

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 58
    West Ham wins: 38
    Draws: 28

Pre-Match Pressers

José Mourinho

Manuel Pellegrini

Team News

Manchester United

Marcos Rojo and Sergio Romero ruled out. Marcus Rashford returns from suspension.

West Ham

Winston Reid, Manuel Lanzini, Andy Carroll and Jack Wilshere ruled out.

Know the opposition

West Ham United Football Club (nicknamed The Irons, The Hammers, and The Academy of Football) are a professional football club based in Upton Park, East London. They were founded in 1895 by foreman and local league referee Dave Taylor and owner Arnold Hills as Thames Ironworks F.C. - a strictly amateur football club with a team featuring a number of works employees. During the summer of 1898, Thames Ironworks F.C. became a professional outfit for the first time, to match their new status as members of the Southern League Second Division, and were promoted to the First Division at the first attempt following a decision to enlarge the top division of the Southern League to 19 teams. After growing disputes over the running and financing of the club in June 1900, Thames Ironworks F.C. resigned from the Southern League and were officially wound up. On 5 July 1900 they reformed under the new name of West Ham United and accepted an offer of the Southern League place left vacant by Thames Ironworks.

West Ham's most successful period started with the appointment of Ron Greenwood in 1961 - leading to FA Cup, League Cup and Cup Winners' Cup titles - with youth team graduates Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters at the forefront. Their nickname The Academy of Football pays homage to the club's proud tradition in English football for playing entertaining, attacking football - and the success of the club in coaching future greats - which includes that aforementioned trio of World Cup winners, Trevor Brooking, Paul Ince, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Jermaine Defoe and Michael Carrick. West Ham's most prominent rivals are local clubs Millwall (Dockers derby - one of the longest-standing and most bitter in English football), Chelsea (East versus West London rivalry), and Tottenham Hotspur (East versus North London derby). They played their home games at the now demolished Boleyn Ground (often referred to as Upton Park) from 1904 to 2016, and moved to the London Olympic Stadium at the start of the 2016/ 2017 League season.

Referee

Michael Oliver.

Familiar Faces

Javier Hernández (2010-2015)

It has been such a demoralising start to the season, just when it seemed the team where turning a corner after the back to back defeats to Brighton and Tottenham, we drop points at home to a newly promoted team and go out of the league cup to a Championship club. We are now extremely unlikely to be where we need to be when the 10 game mark comes. We literally have to win our next four games to still be in the mix and we have some tricky games against West Ham, Everton and Chelsea in that run. "A draw at home against a Championship team – a good Championship team, but against a Championship team – is not a good result for us. The same as the draw against Wolverhampton: a good team, but a team that we have to beat at Old Trafford. Five matches in September: zero defeats, three victories, two draws, but it's not good enough. And of course we want to finish this September month with a good match, with a good performance, with a good result." We are really under pressure in these next four matches to get things back on course, only wins will do. West Ham have recorded a couple of good results in recent weeks, and this fixture might be more evenly-contested than we'd have expected a couple of weeks ago.

The vibe around the club has not been great from day one and that has been Jose’s doing. He played public politics with the board about the club’s transfer policy, he way downbeat on the clubs pre-season preparation, the media have smelled blood and really provoked him in press conferences which is always unsettling to see and now we have this saga with him and our most talented player Pogba. I have no problem with a manager taking a player down a peg or two if needed which I think Pogba does deserve, but it is certainly not helpful to the team’s morale which is not ideal when we are under pressure. It will be fascinating to see how Pogba reacts on the pitch to the events of this week. Mourinho claims he has been pleased with his performance in training; "Nobody trained better than Paul on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday – nobody trained better than him. Tomorrow he plays, so end of the story."

West Ham have demonstrated their counter-attacking potential in recent weeks and seem to have found more structure in midfield since Jack Wilshere got injured which as a result has meant their defence has been better protected. They are likely to defend deep and look to cause us problem on the break with the dangerous Arnautovic. He might not be a natural centre-forward, but he has adjusted excellently to playing in that position over the past year or so and makes excellent runs into the channels. Felipe Anderson offers speed down the left and right-winger Andriy Yarmolenko, helped himself to two goals on debut against Everton. They have the quality to test United’s back-line although United, have looked more nervous when playing against strong, old-fashioned sides with a physical presence up-front. Pogba will continue in midfield Nemanja Matic likely to return in the holding role to offer us more passing quality. Fred, who was impressive in last weekend's contest against Wolves, scoring a fine opener, should also continue. Going forward, Alexis Sanchez could now be vulnerable as he continues to frustrate on the left. Anthony Martial, could have played his way into the side after his midweek performance. Pablo Zabaleta never liked playing against quick left-wingers, even at his peak, and here he could be targeted with Martial and the overlapping Shaw. The only other decision is Jesse Lingard or Juan Mata drifting inside from the right, with Valencia coming up in the week it makes sense to play with Lingard and hold Mata back for midweek against his former club. West Ham have the attacking threat to cause us problems so I think United will need to score at least two goals to get something from this game.

Subs - Grant, Young, Bailly, Fellani, Mata, Rashford, Sanchez.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
    Staff
    Confirmed United squad members
    De Gea, Grant; Young, Smalling, Shaw, Bailly, Darmian, Lindelof; Pogba, Fellaini, Mata, Herrera, Fred, McTominay, Matic; Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Sanchez.
    Gone by train again.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/manchester-united-west-ham-squad-15214026
    Think the only questions are:
    • who will be the third midfielder to join Matic and Pogba - either Fred or Fellaini.
    • who will start with Lukaku and Sanchez - Martial, Mata or Rashford? I think Martial should get a chance with his record against West Ham but it'll probably be Rashford as he's rested from being suspended the last few games.

MrBest

Confident we won't concede more than 2. Not confident we will win.

minoo-utd

If Jose got balls he should drop all the ones who are not in form for this massive game. Drop Sanchez, Valencia, Lukaku, Matic and Lingaaaard.
    Play Dalot, Rashford, Martial, Fellaini and put Pogba as number 10.

DDG
    Dalot-Smalling-Bailly-Shaw
    Fellaini-Herrera-Fred
    Pogba
    Rashford-Martial

I know it will never ever happen though.

Janson

Cheers bro. Maybe the whole thing is being blown out of proportion then :wenger: ?
    People were already assuming the worst before a game has even been played after what happened. I bet they will be disappointed if this just settles down.

marktan

If Jose got balls he should drop all the ones who are not in form for this massive game. Drop Sanchez, Valencia, Lukaku, Matic and Lingaaaard.
    Play Dalot, Rashford, Martial, Fellaini and put Pogba as number 10.

DDG
    Dalot-Smalling-Bailly-Shaw
    Fellaini-Herrera-Fred
    Pogba
    Rashford-Martial

I know it will never ever happen though.
    I think that would work well, what annoys me about Mou is that he doesn't ever try to change the team up. I guess we were spoiled under SAF, who'd sometimes come out with bat shit crazy looking lineups that'd somehow work. With Jose it's always the same week in, week out.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
    Struggling to get at all excited for this. The last week on and off the pitch have been a bad joke and is an embarrassment to this great club. Part of me wants Mou and Pogba to feck off and leave us in the hands of Carrick and McTominay instead. I still hope though (fading hope) that this is just some media stunt and somehow we get over it.
    Im sure by 12.30 tomorrow i will be up for the game and be desperate for us to perform well and win.

Difference between a fan and someone just here for the pay cheque i guess
    Good news is that the exciting U18s are playing at the same time.

On the train

The following players were seen at Stockport train station on the way to London for the game:

Goalkeepers (2): David de Gea, Lee Grant
    Defenders (6): Ashley Young, Chris Smalling, Luke Shaw, Eric Bailly, Matteo Darmian, Victor Lindelof
    Midfielders (6): Paul Pogba, Marouane Fellaini, Ander Herrera, Fred, Scott McTominay, Nemanja Matic
    Forwards (5): Romelu Lukaku, Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford, Alexis Sanchez, Juan Mata

Only players definitely ruled out for the match are Marcos Rojo and Sergio Romero. Jesse Lingard, Phil Jones, Diogo Dalot, Andreas Pereira and Antonio Valencia weren't spotted by photographers but have not been ruled out from being in the squad. I would say it is unlikely any of them traveled though.

Last minute lineup questions (kinda)

There are over six hours until lineup predictions close but I likely won't be around an hour before then so doing this now.

There is no question of who the back four will be. With Valencia and Dalot apparently not traveling, it will likely be Young there with Lindelof, Smalling and Shaw as the usual suspects for the rest of the back line.

In midfield, Matic and Pogba should definitely start. Only question is over the third midfielder and I think Mourinho will prefer Fellaini for this game.

Martial was pretty much our best performer in midweek but the last time he started a midweek game and did well, Mourinho ruled him out of starting the weekend fixture. Personally I would go for a front three of either Martial-Lukaku-Sanchez or Martial-Lukaku-Rashford but with Sanchez not playing a minute in midweek and Rashford being well rested too thanks to his suspension, I can see them joining Lukaku in the starting lineup.

Damien's predicted XI

De Gea

Young Lindelof Smalling Shaw
    Matic
    Fellaini Pogba
    Rashford Lukaku Sanchez​

On a related note, I was second before the Derby game and am joint second on points (technically third) after despite only getting 8 points! You can all do better. Give it a go.

IAmAWinner

I have a feeling Martial and Sanchez will both start this time, Sanchez on the right wing. Think Mourinho is also quite fed up with him and will try him in a new position. Hopefully.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 332 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw