Westminster Politics

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Party campaigners in London said Gaza had driven voters in the inner city away from the party, while the controversy over the clean air ultra-low emissions zone had cost it in outer boroughs. A shock Conservative win in London would dominate the political agenda for days, renew questions over Labour’s environmental policies and provoke anger from the left of the party. One senior Labour source said: “Losing London would be devastating, but most of the country is fine and this won’t affect the general election.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...oses-ground-in-urban-and-heavily-muslim-areas
The results overall are quite a vindication for them - an increase even while actively spiting their activist base, and that too in an election where the "permission" to vote 3rd party or sit it out is higher (would expect a lot of protest votes to come home for the GE). Winning the mayoralty against the incumbent ex-Labour guy also shows the drastic limits of independent left campaigns against them.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's such a indictment this country when the average Joe is more outraged over their taxes going to people on benefits (even ones who need them) than they are over them going on David Cameron's private jet.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It's such a indictment this country when the average Joe is more outraged over their taxes going to people on benefits (even ones who need them) than they are over them going on David Cameron's private jet.

When the angry gammon agrees too you know it’s shocking.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth

At least super anti capitalism champions like Purkiss and Blakely give away their show tickets and books for free. We'd hate it if they were hypocrites.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
At least super anti capitalism champions like Purkiss and Blakely give away their show tickets and books for free. We'd hate it if they were hypocrites.
Didn't even know that they did shows but this isn't the point you think it is. We live in a capitalist society so unless you're mega rich, yes, you'll have to charge tickets for your show. That's common sense, the money for the tickets goes to far more than just the talent and I doubt either are rich enough to cover all fees and expenses of a free show.

Also, weird that's where your anger lies considering what they're talking about...

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Didn't even know that they did shows but this isn't the point you think it is. We live in a capitalist society so unless you're mega rich, yes, you'll have to charge tickets for your show. That's common sense, the money for the tickets goes to far more than just the talent and I doubt either are rich enough to cover all fees and expenses of a free show.

Also, weird that's where your anger lies considering what they're talking about...
No anger from me, more an observation.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Maybe. But I feel like being provocative while I'm waiting to laugh (hopefully) at Susan Hall.

But, yeah I'm well aware you can't say anything critical about two good looking ladies from the **** of corbyn.
No one take this bait.

DanH

It's looking like the London race was a bit of expectation management so far. Pretty decent results for Khan so far. Shame about West Mids but Street is a strong candidate.

WPMUFC

West Central London backs Sadiq Khan
Another vote in one of London's mayoral regions has gone Sadiq Khan's way.
The Labour mayor has beaten Tory Susan Hall by 54,481 to 43,405 in West Central.
It suggests Khan is on track to be re-elected.

That's now a third London mayoral constituency declaration, albeit again from the inner part of the city.

It shows a 5% swing from Conservative to Labour in a constituency where the Conservatives were ahead in 2021 - but has now been won by Sadiq Khan.

We again have a further indication that Khan should be re-elected as mayor of London.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-68609732?src_origin=BBCS_BBC

WPMUFC

Pre count: "Susan Hall might win"

Actual count: "Khan picks up region that has never voted labour":

:lol: :lol:

Kaos

So thats West Central, North East and South West all going to Khan.

It would take a monumental upset in the other wards for Khan to lose this now. Doom mongers in the mud.

Kaos

Boris tried to use a magazine as a form of ID yesterday:

I think its pretty clear this was just a publicity stunt. Either to keep him in the limelight (another woopsie, aint he a laugh moment), or an attempt by the Tories to convey that their new ID checks are not intended to carry out voter suppression considering even a former Tory PM was not beyond the new rules.

WPMUFC

First outer borough result suggests ULEZ not a big factor on election

Professor Sir John Curtice
Polling expert
The South West London result is the first declaration from an outer London constituency.
It is a constituency in which the Conservatives were ahead last time but Labour have won this time.
It looks as though outer London is swinging to Labour in much the same way as inner London, and that the ULEZ row is not going to have a significant impact on the result of the mayoral election.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-68609732?src_origin=BBCS_BBC

marktan

Genuinely very happy to see the Labour vote significantly drop in the Muslim population and that the Greens have made large gains. Some positive news in what has been 7 months of sadness over Gaza.

The Muslim voting block is a very big one, and yet doesn't feel anywhere near as influential or organised as say the Jewish voting block in America is. I'm very glad to see that people backed the Greens who very early on called for a ceasefire.

In London, Khan winning was always pretty likely in my view. He's insulated from the Gaza stuff because he's always strayed from the Labour line, and I expect most Londoners are actually pro less polluting cars. Of course the Conservatives fielding three terrible candidates in a row hasn't helped them. You don't need another Boris but just some regular professional guy with no history of xenophobic comments would've helped them tremendously, something all of the last three have failed to be.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think its pretty clear this was just a publicity stunt. Either to keep him in the limelight (another woopsie, aint he a laugh moment), or an attempt by the Tories to convey that their new ID checks are not intended to carry out voter suppression considering even a former Tory PM was not beyond the new rules.
Yeah, it's all just one big show.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Conservatives take Bexley & Bromley

The Conservatives have held the constituency of Bexley & Bromley, marking their first win in this year's mayoral race.
Susan Hall received 111,216 votes - or 54.6% - while Sadiq Khan received 48,952 - 24.1%.

Those percentages are exactly the same as those won by the Conservatives and Labour in 2021, meaning there was no swing in this result.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Solihull suggests West Midlands too close to call

In the West Midlands mayoral race, results in Solihull have been declared.

They show a 5% swing from Conservative to Labour. Labour need a 4.5% swing to win the mayoralty.

The early intelligence that this contest is too close to call is, on this evidence, correct.

marktan

What the increase of rape and knife crime?
Crime is up pretty much everywhere, no? Same as a lot of other major cities in other countries I believe. Probably a mix of things like policing cuts, social services cuts, living standards erosions (things getting more expensive, stagnating wages) all making crime more attractive

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Why was the decision made to switch from PR to FPTP in London? I'm guessing it's above the Mayor's authority for obvious reasons, but seems a very backwards step in general?