Westminster Politics

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Boris is a fecking coward. Even May had the balls to turn up to answer difficult questions. She talked shite but at least she was there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48744724

All this does is show you what will happen in future if he becomes PM. He'll take no accountability for his actions. Is that really what people want?!
Didn't May also avoid a televised debate though? But yeah, sums it up and exposes the contempt for which the likes of Johnson hold the British public. As of now he only needs to appeal to his own party's membership, so the public become utterly irrelevant and an inconvenience to him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
And Cameron tried to avoid them too.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I think you're giving the Conservative membership far too much credit. They're predominantly a bunch of xenophobic, Islamophobic, bigoted old white people who want a no deal Brexit irrespective of the obvious damage it will cause. That's why they want Johnson. They also fear a Corbyn government above all else. They're not going to vote for someone who they anticipate will be a disaster and consequently pave the pathway for Corbyn to enter Downing Street.
Whatever about the membership, what the party fears above all else is Nigel Farage and the Brexit Party.

Sweet Square

Ok, I concede that I didn't know the actual conservative votes on gay marriage, and that was my bad. I'm trying to get my head around the liberal sympathetic view of Islam when muslim countries strongly oppose LGBT.
I understand that the rights of all people should be protected, but the muslim view of LGBT is very severe. Sort this out for me.
Simple - There is no liberal sympathetic view towards Islam. There is a liberal view toward individual freedom - such as being able to worship freely, being to wear religious clothing of your choice etc.

The recent case about a group of muslims parents protesting against a school for including LGBT lessons is a good example of this. Nowhere was there people on the liberal/left who were sympathetic to the views of the muslims parents.

Last edited:

vidic blood & sand

You've just been shown that only six years ago 136 Conservative MPs believed that gay people should not even be allowed to marry. The Ottoman Empire decriminalised homosexuality in 1858. It took the United Kingdom until 1967 to do so. Our government pushed a hero of WWII to suicide because he was gay. Was religion a driving factor behind these disparate decisions? You talk in very general terms and make broad sweeping statements which serve only to reveal your own prejudice. There are problems with homophobia everywhere. It is not an issue exclusive to certain followers of Islam.
Wait a minute. Are you saying that it's ok for muslims to condemn LGBT, but not conservatives?
I conceded the conservative gay marriage issue, although it was technically a conservative primeminister who introduce gay marriage with close to 50% backing from his own party. Let's not forget that.
You say that I'm prejudice, and say I make sweeping statements, but the fact remains you are critical of conservatives being homophobes and islamaphobes. Are you also willing to accept that Muslims are also homophobes?

Sweet Square

Wait a minute. Are you saying that it's ok for muslims to condemn LGBT, but not conservatives?
I conceded the conservative gay marriage issue, although it was technically a conservative primeminister who introduce gay marriage with close to 50% backing from his own party. Let's not forget that.
You say that I'm prejudice, and say I make sweeping statements, but the fact remains you are critical of conservatives being homophobes and islamaphobes. Are you also willing to accept that Muslims are also homophobes?
He needed labour votes it get it passed.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
What a bizarre interpretation of what I actually said. Also, Muslims and conservatives are not mutually exclusive categories. You seem intent on defining people by their religion.

Am I willing to accept that 'Muslims' are homophobes? Again, what a ridiculous question. The way you frame questions is very telling. There are over a billion Muslims in the world. I'm sure there are plenty of homophobes, plenty of people who have no problem with homosexuals, and plenty of people who belong to the LGBT community themselves.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Whatever about the membership, what the party fears above all else is Nigel Farage and the Brexit Party.
The only thing that the Conservative membership polled as accepting as a term too unacceptable for a no deal Brexit was if it entailed Corbyn entering power. I find it hard to fathom why these extreme Brexiteers would thus object more to the presence of Farage and the Brexit Party in power.

vidic blood & sand

I think you're giving the Conservative membership far too much credit. They're predominantly a bunch of xenophobic, Islamophobic, bigoted old white people.........
Muslims and conservatives are not mutually exclusive categories. You seem intent on defining people by their religion.

Am I willing to accept that 'Muslims' are homophobes? Again, what a ridiculous question. The way you frame questions is very telling. There are over a billion Muslims in the world. I'm sure there are plenty of homophobes, plenty of people who have no problem with homosexuals, and plenty of people who belong to the LGBT community themselves.
It's ok to define people by their political view but not religious view?
Nearly half of conservatives do not fit your description of them.

Ultimately you should take your own advise.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It's ok to define people by their political view but not religious view?
Nearly half of conservatives do not fit your description of them.

Ultimately you should take your own advise.
Ha. No. Re-read what I said. I'm talking about a specific sub-section of conservatives, chiefly the membership of the Conservative party. What I'm saying is based on their actions and the result of polls where they freely express their own views. If you were to talk about a specific group of Muslims, for instance members of the Saudi Arabia ruling elites, then we'd have a different discussion. You did not. You referred to 'Muslims' as a whole and lumped together over a billion people into one cohesive identity.

I believe that the Conservative party membership is predominantly xenophobic, Islamophobic, bigoted and made up of mostly old white men. I do not believe that this applies, certainly not to the same extent, to the typical person who identifies as a conservative. The former is a more extreme strata of the latter.

But also this, to an extent.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Ok, I concede that I didn't know the actual conservative votes on gay marriage, and that was my bad. I'm trying to get my head around the liberal sympathetic view of Islam when muslim countries strongly oppose LGBT.
I understand that the rights of all people should be protected, but the muslim view of LGBT is very severe. Sort this out for me.
It's possible to disagree with and condemn certain backwards views of Islam whilst also thinking Muslims shouldn't be discriminated against and aren't one homogeneous bloc.

Sweet Square

But also this, to an extent.
Especially in a democracy like the UK. Those shit head parents who didn't want their children to go to a school because of LBGT lessons have no actual power in society, they aren't going to influence politics on local level yet alone national one, the only power they have is sadly the one over their children. Whereas in the next few weeks less than 200,000 tory members are going to chose the prime minster for a country of 60 million people. That is power to shape society.

vidic blood & sand

It's possible to disagree with and condemn certain backwards views of Islam whilst also thinking Muslims shouldn't be discriminated against and aren't one homogeneous bloc.
The obvious view is that no one should be discriminated against, regardless of belief. Political or religious.

vidic blood & sand

...so stop espousing bigoted views against Muslims then.
I haven't been doing that. Islam is a religion, and this country gives people religious freedom. As long as beliefs do not cause people to violate the laws of the land, there's no problem.
It is a fact that the overwhelming majority of Muslims believe that homosexuality is a sin against Allah. Make of that what you will, but religious freedom in this country gives muslims the right to believe this way.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How would you think this compares with the Labour, Liberal, Greens and Brexit Parties?
We haven't seen the polls in thoae parties. This is about Tories. Have we seen polls on anti semitism on Tories or Libs?
Imagine a poll of Labour memebers showed 43% did not want a Jew as PM. Wouldn't we say that is a problem?

Wow this is pretty pathetic.
Photo courtesy of Damage Control Media:

"Get off my fecking laptop...darling."
Fecking hate politicians.

Strachans Cigar

Re: Lab/Con perceived/proven Anti-Semitism, Islamophobia

It’s simple, you don’t share those views & suspect the party at least in part holds them, whether publically or secretly, don’t vote for them. Any attempt to deal with it will be insincere anyway no doubt, so hit them in the ballots.

I’m sure the Lib Dems & Greens will be grateful for your vote if either of the above are a big enough issue for you. I’d have thought that’s who the majority of this forum should be voting for, rather than doggedly insisting on trying to give the Labour Party some kinda Electoralconvulsive Therapy. They’re clearly not listening to you & probably, all things considered, not worth the effort.

Meanwhile, Tories are a utter shambles, they should have gone with Gove the consistent Brexiteer, Johnson is a d**khead and his MP Lapdogs can’t see the wood for the trees & Hunt will be May Mark II, a Remainer Sheep in Wolf’s clothing, with similar results.

Why the feck anyone would want to vote Lab/Con at the moment? Because they’ve got the established brand names? Is that it?

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
The only thing that the Conservative membership polled as accepting as a term too unacceptable for a no deal Brexit was if it entailed Corbyn entering power. I find it hard to fathom why these extreme Brexiteers would thus object more to the presence of Farage and the Brexit Party in power.
I'm referring to the MPs, not the membership.

Dobba

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Who was that toad on Newsnight tonight claiming Britain would be “quids in” in case of a hard Brexit and that it’s more in the EU’s interest to negotiate a trade deal than in Britain’s??? The tw@t is either lying through his teeth or he lives in cloud cuckoo land and has complete lack of grasp of economics and it’s manufacturing & agricultural supply lines.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Who was that toad on Newsnight tonight claiming Britain would be “quids in” in case of a hard Brexit and that it’s more in the EU’s interest to negotiate a trade deal than in Britain’s??? The tw@t is either lying through his teeth or he lives in cloud cuckoo land and has complete lack of grasp of economics and it’s manufacturing & agricultural supply lines.
That was Bernard Jenkin, the noted fantasist.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Boris' proposal is to renegotiate with the EU before October by.... well, he didn't go into specifics. But if he said he can do it then, by golly, he can do it! Just like he got that £350M for the NHS.

The sad thing is, the dumb fecks who believed his bullshit the last time around will believe him again.

Infra-red

About what? Why he didn't bring a bottle of the good stuff to the Spectator summer party?
:lol: To be fair, he's an abrasive right winger but he's also the best political interviewer on TV. He also doesn't care who he takes apart eg here he is eviscerating Steve Baker live on the BBC last year:

Last edited:

Smores

It's incredible that some journalists give certain politicians a free ride. I mean this is probably the biggest event they'll ever cover and they don't see it as part of their job to ask the tough questions.