Westminster Politics

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
'Following his press conference, some 59% of Britons think Dominic Cummings should resign from his role as Boris Johnson’s senior adviser following questions about his conduct during lockdown, a new poll suggests.

YouGov also said 27% of those surveyed believe Cummings should not resign while 14% answered “don’t know”.

The data showed 52% of those surveyed who voted Leave at the 2016 EU referendum want Mr Cummings to resign, with 38% answering “should not resign” and 10% “don’t know”.

YouGov said it surveyed 1,160 adults on Tuesday.'

Smores

I wonder how much input Cummings had on the new PHE slogan? Given he knew he'd been caught and has been going to lengths to re-edit content since the initial enquiries weeks ago.

That's the question they should be asking because if there's any implication he's altered messaging to suit his needs that's as bad as the original offence.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
'A street heckler once shouted at David Hasselhoff: “Oi! Hasselhoff! You’re nothing without your talking car!” Cummings is the talking car to Johnson’s Hasselhoff.'

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-boris-johnson-terrified-sack-him#maincontent
Just like the 'Trump is Bannon's biatch' memes prickled Trumps shallow ego into sacking Bannon, so Cummings detractors need to repeat the same narrative until Boris also cracks. Hope we see this in the days ahead.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Opposition leaders write joint letter to the PM calling for Cummings to go

'The leaders of the opposition parties (excluding Labour) have sent a joint letter to the prime minister, urging him to sack Dominic Cummings over his lockdown breaches.

The letter, which was also forwarded to Sir Patrick Vallance, chair of Sage, reads:

'It is now a matter of record that Mr Dominic Cummings broke multiple lockdown rules.

He is yet to express any apology or contrition for these actions. There cannot be one rule for those involved in formulating public health advice and another for the rest of us.

This is an issue that transcends politics. It has united people of every party and political persuasion, who believe strongly that it is now your responsibility as Prime Minister to return clarity and trust in public health messaging.

We are clear that this can now only be achieved by removing Dominic Cummings from his post without further delay.'

The letter was signed by

Ian Blackford, SNP
Sir Ed Davey, Liberal Democrats
Liz Saville Roberts, Plaid Cymru
Colum Eastwood, Social Democratic and Labour party
Caroline Lucas, Green party
Stephen Farry, Alliance party'

Ian Blackford, SNP

Ian Blackford, SNP

This lot are all largely irrelevant and will lobby/ complain and oppose the government in everything they do - boy who cries wolf.

the fact that labour haven’t done this make it a complete non story and smacks of jumping in the bandwagon.

Ian Blackford in particular is an odious windbag.

Drawfull

Few comments elsewhere that The Spectator have pay-walled his wife's article. They have and they haven't (because they're incompetent).

If you'd like to read it, click its link and add /amp to the URL

Click Here if you prefer.

It's pretty galling, but they can't really edit it as so many will have already seen it, but they can hide it away... or so they thought.

Fingeredmouse

Ian Blackford, SNP

This lot are all largely irrelevant and will lobby/ complain and oppose the government in everything they do - boy who cries wolf.

the fact that labour haven’t done this make it a complete non story and smacks of jumping in the bandwagon.

I've always been fairly neutral on him but I must he's up shot in my estimations dramatically in the last 21 minutes.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Opposition leaders write joint letter to the PM calling for Cummings to go

'The leaders of the opposition parties (excluding Labour) have sent a joint letter to the prime minister, urging him to sack Dominic Cummings over his lockdown breaches.

The letter, which was also forwarded to Sir Patrick Vallance, chair of Sage, reads:

'It is now a matter of record that Mr Dominic Cummings broke multiple lockdown rules.

He is yet to express any apology or contrition for these actions. There cannot be one rule for those involved in formulating public health advice and another for the rest of us.

This is an issue that transcends politics. It has united people of every party and political persuasion, who believe strongly that it is now your responsibility as Prime Minister to return clarity and trust in public health messaging.

We are clear that this can now only be achieved by removing Dominic Cummings from his post without further delay.'

The letter was signed by

Ian Blackford, SNP
Wonder why Keir Starmer hasn't signed this letter off.

probably because he doesn’t want to be associated with these minority parties.

labour (even in disarray) have clout, none of these parties do. If he signs it, he acknowledges that labour are on a par with these leaders.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He doesn't really need to in fairness, he has far more clout than the others do and will continue chipping away in the media and PMQs.

He and labour don't really gain anything from signing that letter with the other parties and Johnson won't care if the the SDLP and Greens are against Cummings. He'll only start to pay attention when more Tories kick up a fuss.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think he's very cognisant of the fact that it is the media and the public who will possibly see Cummings off, and not a united Opposition who have such a large deficit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would imagine the reasoning is that it's best to keep it as Tories vs the people rather than make it Tories vs Labour. Whether they're right to take that approach or whether they'll continue with it indefinitely, who knows?

Compton22

probably because he doesn’t want to be associated with these minority parties.

labour (even in disarray) have clout, none of these parties do. If he signs it, he acknowledges that labour are on a par with these leaders.
He doesn't really need to in fairness, he has far more clout than the others do and will continue chipping away in the media and PMQs.

He and labour don't really gain anything from signing that letter with the other parties and Johnson won't care if the the SDLP and Greens are against Cummings. He'll only start to pay attention when more Tories kick up a fuss.
I think he's very cognisant of the fact that it is the media and the public who will possibly see Cummings off, and not a united Opposition who have such a large deficit.
I would imagine the reasoning is that it's best to keep it as Tories vs the people rather than make it Tories vs Labour. Whether they're right to take that approach or whether they'll continue with it indefinitely, who knows?
Ah, makes sense I suppose

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
No PMQ's this week ... wonder how much traction it will have in a week - not sure what other tools starmer has for keeping the pressure on?

Perhaps
https://assets.publishing.service.g...1612_Code_of_Conduct_for_Special_Advisers.pdf

Report Cummings to the Civil Service commission?

caid

Cummings might be a twat but I don't think he's done all that much wrong really. He should be punished but he's hardly been partying and snorting coke of hookers up in the North East has he?
I've seen a few people say this, really dont get how you can come to that conclusion.
Its entirely plausible that his he or his kid could have given Covid to his sister and when she went to do shopping for him, for her to pass it onto the community.
ie the precise situation that limiting how far people can travel is designed to prevent.
His actions were utterly selfish and put the wider community in danger.
So before you get into the various nonsense details or the other breaches he clearly did something wrong.

No one care what he did in the North East, him snorting coke off hookers or not is largely irrelevant. He shouldn't have been in the North East.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ian Blackford, SNP

Other than your comments about Blackford - which I'll just put down to "SNP boooooo" and something you'd say about whoever was the leader in the same way I would happily shart in my hand and throw it at whoever was in charge of the Tories - I think you're right. What is the point of this letter? It's not even a sidenote in the story. I guess it's a quick chance to get their party names out there but without Labour cosigning it won't make a damn bit of difference. The polls suggesting that the people want Cummings fired, and moreso after that crap press conference, hold infinitely more weight than a "strongly worded letter".

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The thing I don't get is that for someone who lies all the time, Cummings doesn't seem to know how a lie works. He had three days and managed to come up with a lie that was somehow not only completely unbelievable, but also worse and more irresponsible than any actual true reason why he might have visited a castle.

Examples of lies that would have been better and no less believable than "I wanted to check I could see properly"
- I like castles
- It was my wife's birthday
- I forgot I didn't live at the castle
- It's my first day
- Jeremy Corbyn did it
- What castle?

Then not only that but he throws some bonus lie in about predicting corona virus in his blog, which is basically akin to trying to claim you knew what the winning lottery numbers three weeks ago would be, but then played and somehow selected the wrong numbers anyway.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Examples of lies that would have been better and no less believable than "I wanted to check I could see properly"
- I like castles
- It's my first day
- Jeremy Corbyn did it
- What castle?
:lol: :lol:

F-Red

I've seen a few people say this, really dont get how you can come to that conclusion.
Its entirely plausible that his he or his kid could have given Covid to his sister and when she went to do shopping for him, for her to pass it onto the community.
ie the precise situation that limiting how far people can travel is designed to prevent.
His actions were utterly selfish and put the wider community in danger.
So before you get into the various nonsense details or the other breaches he clearly did something wrong.

No one care what he did in the North East, him snorting coke off hookers or not is largely irrelevant. He shouldn't have been in the North East.
Precisely. He is arguably a very key part of policy making and policy that he feels he doesn't have to follow. Some people are struggling to get their heads around it and bring in these pointless whataboutery arguments for him, but failing to grasp the simple double standards and hypocrisy coming from Cummings.

In reality, i see no difference between this guy's reasoning and Cumming's, both are as loose as possible. Two very different punishments. Also, a different outcome to an advisor similarly 'flouting' the rules of the policy from government.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
The thing I don't get is that for someone who lies all the time, Cummings doesn't seem to know how a lie works. He had three days and managed to come up with a lie that was somehow not only completely unbelievable, but also worse and more irresponsible than any actual true reason why he might have visited a castle.

- I like castles
- It's my first day
- Jeremy Corbyn did it
- What castle?

Then not only that but he throws some bonus lie in about predicting corona virus in his blog, which is basically akin to trying to claim you knew what the winning lottery numbers three weeks ago would be, but then played and somehow selected the wrong numbers anyway.
I think the lie is deliberately ridiculous. From that part of the conference, the main talking point has been the ludicrousness of the lie, rather than the fact he’s admitted a second trip against the rules did indeed occur. It’s so baffling there is no way he and the people around him sat down and concluded that was the most legitimate excuse they could come up with, no matter how dumb or arrogant they are.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Few comments elsewhere that The Spectator have pay-walled his wife's article. They have and they haven't (because they're incompetent).

If you'd like to read it, click its link and add /amp to the URL

Click Here if you prefer.

It's pretty galling, but they can't really edit it as so many will have already seen it, but they can hide it away... or so they thought.

That seems to imply that they stayed at home and self-isolated. Looks dodgy to me.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think the lie is deliberately ridiculous. From that part of the conference, the main talking point has been the ludicrousness of the lie, rather than the fact he’s admitted a second trip against the rules did indeed occur. It’s so baffling there is no way he and the people around him sat down and concluded that was the most legitimate excuse they could come up with, no matter how dumb or arrogant they are.
Exactly. A man is shown on video robbing a bank, he makes a statement saying that he did indeed rob a bank and that he did it using a catapult since it is the superior siege weapon. People start arguing over what the superior siege weapon is. Hopefully, after enough time has passed, people forget why the argument over catapults started and then one of the man's friends puts his knob up a horse and everyone's attentions turn towards that story.

Woodzy

That seems to imply that they stayed at home and self-isolated. Looks dodgy to me.
Seems clear as day they were at home during the events in the article to me. When are they supposed to have travelled to his parents'?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Exactly. A man is shown on video robbing a bank, he makes a statement saying that he did indeed rob a bank and that he did it using a catapult since it is the superior siege weapon. People start arguing over what the superior siege weapon is. Hopefully, after enough time has passed, people forget why the argument over catapults started and then one of the man's friends puts his knob up a horse and everyone's attentions turn towards that story.
That was my favourite episode of The Bill. Man I wish they’d bring that show back!

Compton22

Still doesn't absolve him of the trip to Barnard Castle trip though does it?

Maticmaker

Then they will all go home again, grim and determining but still hopelessly outnumbered.
Have the numbskulls not realized yet the only way they can bring down Cummings and Boris is from the inside, Tory rebels hold the key if there is enough of them. Strangely Boris sacked thirty Tory rebels over Brexit, when he had no majority, will he now risk a night of the long knives, now he has a stonking majority?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Still doesn't absolve him of the trip to Barnard Castle trip though does it?
So will all of the UK's laws now be up for retrospective adaptation as per the behaviour and morals of Dominic Cummings?

Full bodied red

Ian Blackford, SNP

350,000 people are dead

The Western economies are trashed for decades to come

We're all or have been subjected to restrictions on our civil and professional liberties which have previously been unheard of outside world wars.

A man in the UK makes a 500 mile journey to his parents and the MSM and Joe Public go off-the-scale-apeshit.

It's a genuine pity that they and the nobodies on your list can't generate the same degree of anger towards Communist China for creating our current situation.