Westminster Politics

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As I’ve said before. It’s not this tag tag bunch of 2 bit dimwits I’m worried about. It’s that they’re creating the conditions for an extremely dangerous authoritarian regime to capitalise on their erosion of government ethics and standards.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Another evidence of our constitution being shit. I can't believe we aren't having a discussion about it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
As I’ve said before. It’s not this tag tag bunch of 2 bit dimwits I’m worried about. It’s that they’re creating the conditions for an extremely dangerous authoritarian regime to capitalise on their erosion of government ethics and standards.
I'd say that we should all go out and protest but they've made that illegal.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Poacher turned gamekeeper eh.
Despicable and shameless. Next thing, he will ask for his fine to be recinded.
And Tories say it is time to move on.
Move on to what?
And I doubt very much that the family and friends of the 175,000+ who died from covid just think we should forget what was done and simply move on.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Poacher turned gamekeeper eh.
Despicable and shameless. Next thing, he will ask for his fine to be recinded.
And Tories say it is time to move on.
Move on to what?
And I doubt very much that the family and friends of the 175,000+ who died from covid just think we should forget what was done and simply move on.
"The British people are more interested in..." Insert whatever the government mouthpiece wants everyone to focus on instead.

Roane

"The British people are more interested in..." Insert whatever the government mouthpiece wants everyone to focus on instead.
Think it's much deeper than that. I'm from an Asian background and worked in regeneration. What I'm seeing, certainly amongst the Asian community, is the irrelevance of central govt.

I'm not saying it's necessarily true across the country, although for me it is. Certainly locally where I have been involved the rise in Asian Tory councillors has been big. Their linkage to political parties "back home" is of greater importance than links to Boris Johnson. No one likes him but will vote for Tories based on local councillor. I've often wondered if that's why we have seen likes of Patel and Sunak as big players.

I know it sounds very conspiracy theory but what has happened at local level is staggering for me. The traditional labour vote was very much about the local councillor and not who was at the head of the party. The status these councillors get from country of origin is huge. But as the labour candidates limited people others have joined Tory and even Ukip to get elected. It's created factions and literal turf wars locally. And people will vote for the MP the local guy wants them to vote for and they will even if the local MP is disliked. Because he is irrelevant, the local councillor is who is seen to be being supported.

Our local councillor is Tory now, was Labour, and he doesn't like the govt or the MP. But he will canvass when the time comes.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Quite a good read this.

Standards have been allowed to slip in Labour, too many only care about Instagram and not putting a shift in. It's time to ship out most of them and get lads in who will press the tories.

Maticmaker

Any Labour leader with a 'Sir' in front of their name has a massive handicap to start with, even in today's world.

Of course now Sir Keir has told everyone he had a beer with his workmates, then went back to work (in certain occupations, drinking alcohol on the job would be a dismissal offence) so perhaps his credibility, as 'one of the workers' or 'jack the lad' has been restored.

no wait, whats that.... the beer was non-alcoholic ... oh blast!

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Any Labour leader with a 'Sir' in front of their name has a massive handicap to start with, even in today's world.

Of course now Sir Keir has told everyone he had a beer with his workmates, then went back to work (in certain occupations, drinking alcohol on the job would be a dismissal offence) so perhaps his credibility, as 'one of the workers' or 'jack the lad' has been restored.

no wait, whats that.... the beer was non-alcoholic ... oh blast!
Are you really bringing up drinking on the job being a dismissal offence? Your rabble wouldn’t have anyone left. They’re basically permanently drunk.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Also strong rumours on Twitter that Carrie Antoinette has been having an affair with Zac Goldsmith and she and Johnson have actually separated.

Maticmaker

Are you really bringing up drinking on the job being a dismissal offence
:lol: No, not really just underling 'Sir Keir's' credentials as a genuine working chap... as anyone here can see, when he's had a couple of beers in his office, with the lads.... Labour belongs to him" (to the tune of "I belong to Glasgow') :lol:

MUW4Eva

:lol: No, not really just underling 'Sir Keir's' credentials as a genuine working chap... as anyone here can see, when he's had a couple of beers in his office, with the lads.... Labour belongs to him" (to the tune of "I belong to Glasgow') :lol:
If they were non alcoholic beers, would that alter things in any way??

Maticmaker

If they were non alcoholic beers, would that alter things in any way??
No, its 'having a drink with the lads" that is the message, especially if it's straight out of the bottle and he shunned the offer of a glass... that's the way to go 'Sir Keir'!!

MUW4Eva

No, its 'having a drink with the lads" that is the message, especially if it's straight out of the bottle and he shunned the offer of a glass... that's the way to go 'Sir Keir'!!
What is the difference between having a non alcoholic drink, and say a cup of tea or coffee?

Surely a drink is a drink?

Maticmaker

What is the difference between having a non alcoholic drink, and say a cup of tea or coffee?

Surely a drink is a drink?
Nothing whatsoever, its 'Sir Keir' being seen to drink with his minions... because as we all know, he's just like the rest of the lads, he's just a working guy!! :lol:

MUW4Eva

Nothing whatsoever, its 'Sir Keir' being seen to drink with his minions... because as we all know, he's just like the rest of the lads, he's just a working guy!! :lol:
Well he is a working guy, he is a guy who unlike Boris, works, so not exactly sure what your criticism here is??

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Seeing as his mum was a nurse and his dad made tools in a factory, he's certainly got more right to that classification than Boris "my rich as feck family taught me to act better than everyone else" Johnson.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well he is a working guy, he is a guy who unlike Boris, works, so not exactly sure what your criticism here is??
The definition of what is Working Class is now so convoluted.
I have always classed myself as Working Class on the basis I had to go to work to provide for myself and my family.
I passed my 11+ and went to a grammar school (nothing remotely clever in that).
And toward the end of my working life set up my own limited company. But I was and am working class.

Maticmaker

The definition of what is Working Class is now so convoluted.
I have always classed myself as Working Class on the basis I had to go to work to provide for myself and my family.
I passed my 11+ and went to a grammar school (nothing remotely clever in that).
And toward the end of my working life set up my own limited company. But I was and am working class.
-ditto- for me too! (except the 11+) went to an all age church school 5-15

I think with Sir Keir its much more difficult, he undoubted has some working class roots, but his experience of life is removed from that of say his parents; his current life style is what it is, but by any stretch its not a working class existence. Plus he comes across sometimes as being a 'bit too clever'; an excellent Politician in the eyes of his peers, but in the eyes of the general public, in particular those whose votes he needs, not so... 'he's not one of us'!
In my opinion its why he needs Angela Rayner; but for her to be a proper deputy leader someone he has real confidence in, not just to please his left wingers... when was the last time these two were photographed together especially in the press? Is it their fault for not providing the photo opportunities, or is it the wicked right wing press deliberately not taking any photos of these two together?