Westminster Politics

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
There was a Barack who was a renowned military commander in olden days. No doubt this would be the in first resort of excuses if an explanation was sought.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
"Minor breach", the fecker drove to Durham ffs.
Minor breach in Durham notes by Durham police. Breaches in every county he stopped. Major and absolute breaches in London.

The mans not got a leg to stand on. Also, his wife needs to be named in every single article. She’s more culpable than he is. No idea why she’s getting a free ride.

They are both terrible people.

SteveJ

Scout
Laura K really doesn't help herself, or perhaps she simply doesn't care: she's tweeted that Cummings 'might' have broken lockdown regulations when the actual police conclusion is that they 'might' have chosen to intervene.

Spark

Genuine question, is there any other country in Europe as prone to elitism as the UK?

I'm thinking it might be a genuine problem that we breed those that govern us.
Britain is far more class orientated vs the continent, from what I can tell. Every country has their aristocracy to a degree but Britain seems to be the only one where it’s so engrained in public discourse and consciousness. E.g. accents are not only a regional identifier but also lead to generalisations of upbringing and therefore wealth.

On my dutch side of the family this is far less prevalent.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Added to that is a kind of fear, I think. A fear of being honest with ourselves about the shady behaviour of our politicians, and a refusal to admit that many of them are - to some extent or other - corrupt(ed) or at best frequently dishonest. At the extreme best, there are too many pure careerists amongst them.
British politics has always had inherent corruption and immorality at its core. In true British fashion, illegality is acceptable so long as the person committing has a posh accent, is gentle and polite: the colonial era of the empire was conducted with the utmost of grace and good manners.

You see that in modern day with people like BJ and Gove, telling barefaced lies under high pressured scrutiny. And yet always affable, polite and never lose their cool. It's one of the key social skills required to pull off such charades, taught at a very early age.

Last edited:

SteveJ

Scout
British politics has always had inherent corruption and immorality at its core. In true British fashion, illegality is acceptable so long the person committing has a posh accent, is gentle and polite: the colonial era of the empire was conducted with the utmost of grace and good manners.

You see that in modern day with people like BJ and Gove, telling barefaced lies under high pressured scrutiny. And yet always affable, polite and never lose their cool. It's one of the key social skills required to pull off such charades, taught at a very early age.
I've mentioned this before but...it was drummed into me at school that the British were 'the best' at everything from governing to military endeavours, from honest and selfless public service to objective justice. In contrast, other countries' peoples were framed as, effectively, a disorganised and corrupted idle rabble. And my school wasn't strict or authoritarian at all - far from it. And despite what I just wrote, I saw very little sign of racism or 'casual' xenophobia there either. So I wonder how widespread across Britain this kind of 'teaching' was.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Laura K really doesn't help herself, or perhaps she simply doesn't care: she's tweeted that Cummings 'might' have broken lockdown regulations when the actual police conclusion is that they 'might' have chosen to intervene.
That's not actually true, it does say 'might'.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
That's not actually true, it does say 'might'.

To be fair I can forgive Laura making this mistake as anyone without a legal background such as myself would likely interpret that ‘might’ differently, but then again, it is her job to do a little research and it’s another “mistake” that conveniently favours one side once more

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Cummings travelled to a second home after his wife displayed Covid-19 symptoms. Blackford travelled to his actual home from London in order to self-isolate without any symptoms or reason to suspect he had it in order to safeguard his wife who is in the at-risk category. They are incomparable. Blackford travelled from work (London) to home (Skye) without symptoms - please tell me how that breaks the guidelines.

Jippy

Staff

To be fair I can forgive Laura making this mistake as anyone without a legal background such as myself would likely interpret that ‘might’ differently, but then again, it is her job to do a little research and it’s another “mistake” that conveniently favours one side once more
There isn't a mistake and Guardian and Tel both have the same tbf.

'Durham Police have concluded there might have been a minor breach.'

https://www.google.com/search?q=dur...i61l2j69i60.1492j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

SteveJ

Scout
I don't believe that Laura K is truly biased towards the Conservatives - I think, rather, that she's friends with Boris and co. and this affects her reporting. Plus, of course, she's extremely keen to stay onside with her source(s).

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I don't think it is a mistake and Guardian and Tel both have the same tbf.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dur...i61l2j69i60.1492j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
It’s not a mistake per se but it is misleading, that’s the point the legal experts seem to be making. The conclusion is Cummings did breach the guidelines, the ‘might’ refers to what action would have been taken. So saying Cummings ‘might’ have broken the rules is not true as Laura’s tweet says, Durham Police have concluded that he did. No ‘might’ about it.

Jippy

Staff
It’s not a mistake per se but it is misleading, that’s the point the legal experts seem to be making. The conclusion is Cummings did breach the guidelines, the ‘might’ refers to what action would have been taken. So saying Cummings ‘might’ have broken the rules is not true as Laura’s tweet says, Durham Police have concluded that he did. No ‘might’ about it.
I don't think it's misleading and given the Guardian and telegraph are reporting it the same way, it's wrong to single Laura K out for this one. It's saying the going to self-isolate might have been a minor breach and if a police officer had spoken to Cummings re Barnard Castle they'd have 'likely' told him to go home. It's very weak wording from the police and certainly no smoking gun.
I think people are getting a bit desperate with the Laura K bashing on this story.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I don't believe that Laura K is truly biased towards the Conservatives - I think, rather, that she's friends with Boris and co. and this affects her reporting. Plus, of course, she's extremely keen to stay onside with her source(s).
True to a point, but she seems ideologically hostile to left-wing politics. Chief example being the claim that Corbyn made the ‘political compass wonky’ (whatever the feck that means) and that it was a bad thing for British politics. No mention of what effect Johnson cuddling up with Cummings and pursuing a hard Brexit and sacking numerous moderate Tory MPs such as Ken Clarke had on this ‘compass’.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Let’s not let debate over a word suck the air out of the room.

Durham police are only commenting on events in Durham.

The bald cnut drove Coronavirus from London to Durham. He lied about his eyesight. He lied about the purpose of the trip. He lied about EVERYTHING. He broke all of the rules. So did she. She wrote a column abo being locked down in London. Narrowing criticism down to whether his invented story Broke the rules in Durham is inane.

It’s obfuscation. Eye on the prize folks. They are a pair of terrible humans.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I don't think it's misleading and given the Guardian and telegraph are reporting it the same way, it's wrong to single Laura K out for this one. It's saying the going to self-isolate might have been a minor breach and if a police officer had spoken to Cummings re Barnard Castle they'd have 'likely' told him to go home. It's very weak wording from the police and certainly no smoking gun.
I think people are getting a bit desperate with the Laura K bashing on this story.
Well if the people with experience of the law are adamant it’s misleading to use the ‘might’ in the statement to refer to whether or not he broke the rules when they say the statement is in no doubt that he did, I’ll defer to their viewpoint seen as neither you or I are legal experts.

As for it being a ‘weak’ statement and ‘no smoking gun’, that’s beside the point. There was no police action in the other two high-profile resignations. Nobody is saying Cummings committed a crime that merits strong police action. The point is a precedent has been set for leading figures who break the guidelines they helped to set to resign. He has not even apologised and refused to acknowledge any wrongdoing. Now we have Durham Police confirming he did (not ‘might’ have done) breach guidelines visiting Barnard Castle. That is hugely significant, as the legal opinion now officially contradicts that of No. 10.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Let’s not let debate over a word suck the air out of the room.
Durham police are only commenting on events in Durham.
The bald cnut drove Coronavirus from London to Durham. He lied about his eyesight. He lied about the purpose of the trip. He lied about EVERYTHING. He broke all of the rules. So did she. She wrote a column abo being locked down in London. Narrowing criticism down to whether his invented story Broke the rules in Durham is inane.
It’s obfuscation. Eye on the prize folks. They are a pair of terrible humans.
Cant imagine the nefarious influencing tactics senior Tory's have used with the Police on this.

I'm sure Durham police have been blackmailed and coerced into writing this statement in its weakest form.

@TheReligion

Last edited:

Jippy

Staff
Well if the people with experience of the law are adamant it’s misleading to use the ‘might’ in the statement to refer to whether or not he broke the rules when they say the statement is in no doubt that he did, I’ll defer to their viewpoint seen as neither you or I are legal experts.

As for it being a ‘weak’ statement and ‘no smoking gun’, that’s beside the point. There was no police action in the other two high-profile resignations. Nobody is saying Cummings committed a crime that merits strong police action. The point is a precedent has been set for leading figures who break the guidelines they helped to set to resign. He has not even apologised and refused to acknowledge any wrongdoing. Now we have Durham Police confirming he did (not ‘might’ have done) breach guidelines visiting Barnard Castle. That is hugely significant, as the legal opinion now officially contradicts that of No. 10.
Rereading, I can see where they are coming from, it's just such hedged language. They don't directly say it's a breach- it hinges on the fact that he'd have been told to go home and if he adhered to that, no enforcement action would have been taken, ie it implies he was in breach.
As evidence goes, it's likely too caveated to resonate with the wider public and Durham Police looking like clowns or puppets, depending on your view, doesn't help either.

Had a Durham Constabulary police officer stopped Mr Cummings driving to or from Barnard Castle, the officer would have spoken to him, and, havingestablished the facts, likely advised Mr Cummings to return to the address in Durham, providing advice on the dangers of travelling during the pandemic crisis. Had this advice been accepted by Mr Cummings, no enforcement action would have been taken.

Full bodied red

Cummings travelled to a second home after his wife displayed Covid-19 symptoms. Blackford travelled to his actual home from London in order to self-isolate without any symptoms or reason to suspect he had it in order to safeguard his wife who is in the at-risk category. They are incomparable. Blackford travelled from work (London) to home (Skye) without symptoms - please tell me how that breaks the guidelines.

He was already in his London home - sorry, Tax Payer paid for London Home -and two days after Lockdown started, chose to leave his wife in his Tax Payer paid for London home - and fly / drive / ferry / whatever - to another home 600 miles away.

Anyone with half a brain would probably figure out that by following the STAY AT HOME message from the government two days earlier, he'd have been safer in his London home than his home on the Isle of Skye which is about 150 miles from the nearest ICU. Fortunately for him, if he'd left just 48 hours later he probably would have seen the large STAY OUT OF SCOTLAND signs by the roadside to encourage people NOT to go to their second homes in Scotland in order to spend a more genteel, pleasant period of Lockdown.

Two wrongs don't make a right, of course, but it confirms what everyone has been saying is absolutely correct - one law for politicians and another one for the rest of us. And that all politiciands are arseholes when you scratch the surface.

And right / wrong, in these two cases, depends entirely on your personal interpretation of events.

Smores

He was already in his London home - sorry, Tax Payer paid for London Home -and two days after Lockdown started, chose to leave his wife in his Tax Payer paid for London home - and fly / drive / ferry / whatever - to another home 600 miles away.

Anyone with half a brain would probably figure out that by following the STAY AT HOME message from the government two days earlier, he'd have been safer in his London home than his home on the Isle of Skye which is about 150 miles from the nearest ICU. Fortunately for him, if he'd left just 48 hours later he probably would have seen the large STAY OUT OF SCOTLAND signs by the roadside to encourage people NOT to go to their second homes in Scotland in order to spend a more genteel, pleasant period of Lockdown.

Two wrongs don't make a right, of course, but it confirms what everyone has been saying is absolutely correct - one law for politicians and another one for the rest of us. And that all politiciands are arseholes when you scratch the surface.

And right / wrong, in these two cases, depends entirely on your personal interpretation of events.
I'm not sure 'man goes back to primary residence' is really the comparable scandal you think it is.

FireballXL5

That exactly defines her bias.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So Boris, it can no longer be a question of public opinion now can it? It's there in black and white. He broke the rules.
Even using public opinion he should go since the majority thing he should be sacked. But we all know that when Boris said "it's up to the public" what he meant was "it's up to the public whether they like it or not, but it won't change my mind".

Full bodied red

I'm not sure 'man goes back to primary residence' is really the comparable scandal you think it is.

Strange that his Mrs wasn't already at his primary residence. Maybe it isn't his primary residence after all.

But Tax Payer paid for second homes for MPs is something else, of course....

I don't think it's a scandal....I'm simply trying to point out the stupidity of a politician who's been screaming for Cummings to be sacked yet did more or less the same thing himself - only difference appears to be he didn't have his wife with him when he did it.

TheReligion

Abusive
No one really expected the police to take retrospective action on this did they? It would go against the spirit in which the regulations are being enforced in and irrespective of your personal thoughts on Cummings would not be appropriate. I think it's clear the regulations were broken and Durham Constabulary say as much when describing the Barnard Castle incident.

I don't think the government will be happy with the police statement as adds more pressure to the Cummings resignation.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
There was a Barack who was a renowned military commander in olden days. No doubt this would be the in first resort of excuses if an explanation was sought.
This guy:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Boris now muzzling health officials from commenting on medical matters related to Cummings affair.

How do people feel about that: Fair or not?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Boris now muzzling health officials from commenting on medical matters related to Cummings affair.

Obviously not fair as while it is a political question it also undeniably pertains to public health too. It's important because there is a clear divide between public opinion (and that of Durham Police after today) and the government on what is acceptable as per the guidelines, reflected in the differing opinions on the Cummings' transgressions. It's vital that it is cleared up to remove any source of confusion and to prevent any possible discontent with adhering to the guidelines from spreading.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Clearly they don't want to be drawn into the political shitstorm.

That's 6/7 journalists asking a question on Cummings. They're given a platform to ask a question on the back of some major announcements. It's damning that the questions asked by the public brought more informative answers than those of the media. They're supposed to report the news, not create it.

Genuine question. Do you think the action of Cummings is the most important thing to be discussed at this time? Does it matter THAT much?

vodrake

The medical officials are just there as window dressings to give scientific weight to Boris's proclamations, he would like to minimize them actually talking in case they contradict his guff. They got dangerously close already by mentioning that the R value wasn't dropping as fast as they hoped after Boris had relaxed lockdown further and gone on about how great everything was

If they had any spine, they'd refuse to be allowed to be used like this

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Clearly they don't want to be drawn into the political shitstorm.
That's 6/7 journalists asking a question on Cummings. They're given a platform to ask a question on the back of some major announcements. It's damning that the questions asked by the public brought more informative answers than those of the media. They're supposed to report the news, not create it.
Genuine question. Do you think the action of Cummings is the most important thing to be discussed at this time? Does it matter THAT much?
For me, yes. Every time Boris or his cabinet now say something, I feel tension rise up my back into my head. I absorb the information through the cloud of feeling aggrieved and so don't feel willing to 'take one for the team' when his advisor is let off. Perhaps that's nor rational, but this issue is entirely emotional; as has been stated, people complaining feel like mugs.

For me, this is blowing up to Blair 'dodgy dossier' defining moment status: despite Blair being my hero in those days, I was never able to see him or his future actions in the same feelings ever again.

Last edited: