What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Erik the Red

To be honest I think we may have a definitive back line at the moment.

We just need a new top cm to take over from Eriksen and a striker, the rest would be reinforcements.
This is the kind of thinking we need. As I posted on the Kim Min Jae thread, we need to make better use of the free transfer market. Kane and Fernandez would change the face of the team, and if we could use frees like Skriniar, Ndicka, Sommer, Laimer & Moukoko, supplemented by some youth players, we would have good strength in depth.

First team:
De Gea (on reduced wages)
Dalot
Varane
Martinez
Shaw
Casemiro
Fernandez
Antony
Fernandes
Rashford
Kane

This would be a really stable team, with only two changes from the current first XI.

This would be supplemented with a second team properly capable of competing for first team places:
Sommer
Laird
Skriniar
Ndicka
Malacia
Laimer
Eriksen
Pellistri
Sancho
Garnacho
Moukoko

Thuram could be another alternative option at centre forward.

To offset the cost of the two big purchases (Kane and Fernandez), which might cost almost £200m, there are a lot of players we could potentially move on:
Henderson
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Jones
Bailly
Tunazebe
Williams
Mctominay
Fred
Amad
VDB
Elanga
Martial

I can't think of any of those players that I would classify as of the required quality, so this would remove our deadwood, and make our squad more lean. I would happily use some of the kids like Mainoo, Bennett, McNeill, etc. in the league Cup and to give them cameos in the league.

Obviously if we get mega wealthy new owners we will be fishing in a different pond, but the squad named above would be achievable if we are on a budget.

Cathy Ferguson

This is the kind of thinking we need. As I posted on the Kim Min Jae thread, we need to make better use of the free transfer market. Kane and Fernandez would change the face of the team, and if we could use frees like Skriniar, Ndicka, Sommer, Laimer & Moukoko, supplemented by some youth players, we would have good strength in depth.

First team:
Dalot
Varane
Martinez
Shaw
Casemiro
Fernandez
Antony
Fernandes
Rashford
Kane

This would be a really stable team, with only two changes from the current first XI.

This would be supplemented with a second team properly capable of competing for first team places:
Sommer
Laird
Skriniar
Ndicka
Malacia
Laimer
Eriksen
Pellistri
Sancho
Garnacho
Moukoko

To offset the cost of the two big purchases (Kane and Fernandez), which might cost almost £200m, there are a lot of players we could potentially move on:
Henderson
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Jones
Bailly
Tunazebe
Williams
Mctominay
Fred
Amad
VDB
Elanga
Martial

I can't think of any of those players that I would classify as of the required quality, so this would remove our deadwood, and make our squad more lean. I would happily use some of the kids like Mainoo, Bennett, McNeill, etc. in the league Cup and to give them cameos in the league.

Obviously if we get mega wealthy new owners we will be fishing in a different pond, but the squad named above would be achievable if we are on a budget.
Good analysis, I would keep McTominay if we are selling Fred and I think Amad might be ready to challenge Antony who is not outstanding. If our sales generate at least 80m we should afford a world class striker and CM.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

First team:
Dalot
Varane
Martinez
Shaw
Casemiro
Fernandez
Antony
Fernandes
Rashford
Kane

Sommer
Laird
Skriniar
Ndicka
Malacia
Laimer
Eriksen
Pellistri
Sancho
Garnacho
Moukoko

Henderson
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Jones
Bailly
Tunazebe
Williams
Mctominay
Fred
Amad
VDB
Elanga
Martial

You're spot on, we just have to wait and see how the takeover goes.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
James Ward-Prowse if Soton go down. Tireless runner, great on the ball, could be our Henderson in a midfield three, Casemiro at the base, JWP and Bruno. Effectively replaces Eriksen and has a better deliver from set pieces.

Harry Kane is a must in my opinion. Go get the (now) second or third best goal scorer in the league. Add him as a #9 with Rashford, Martial, Antony, Sancho and Bruno running off him will be devastating. He can get a goal from nothing but his build up play, link up play is superb. Great from set pieces, good in the air and reliable. All those crap teams that sit in, getting a scrappy, old school striker goal in the first twenty, opens them up and we can smash them and get our three points. Think him and Bruno would be like Kane and Alli.

Young cover for defence, one injury to Varane and we are in trouble. Ideally Lavia from Southampton or someone more established but some better cover than Jones/Lindelof/Maguire.

croadyman

James Ward-Prowse if Soton go down. Tireless runner, great on the ball, could be our Henderson in a midfield three, Casemiro at the base, JWP and Bruno. Effectively replaces Eriksen and has a better deliver from set pieces.

Harry Kane is a must in my opinion. Go get the (now) second or third best goal scorer in the league. Add him as a #9 with Rashford, Martial, Antony, Sancho and Bruno running off him will be devastating. He can get a goal from nothing but his build up play, link up play is superb. Great from set pieces, good in the air and reliable. All those crap teams that sit in, getting a scrappy, old school striker goal in the first twenty, opens them up and we can smash them and get our three points. Think him and Bruno would be like Kane and Alli.

Young cover for defence, one injury to Varane and we are in trouble. Ideally Lavia from Southampton or someone more established but some better cover than Jones/Lindelof/Maguire.
Yeah JWP could be our shrewd relegation price buy like Grealish could have been in 2020 had Villa gone down then,in terms of Kane I have always felt he would fit Utd but won't be until the summer and Levy is a pain in the arse to deal with.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Yeah JWP could be our shrewd relegation price buy like Grealish could have been in 2020 had Villa gone down then,in terms of Kane I have always felt he would fit Utd but won't be until the summer and Levy is a pain in the arse to deal with.
I don't think Levy is. Do you want money now or no money later?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m not sold on the Kane idea. Do I think he will score goals? Yes
But there are signs of decline in his game. He’s getting deeper every season. Maybe this is the coaching idea but I’m not sure. I think he’s peaked and he’s on the other side now.
but to be left with a striker on high wages in a couple of years is another nightmare, once he stops being a top goalscorer

BlueHaze

Unpopular opinion, but I think Matty Cash would be a good option for RB depending on how much Villa would want. There's potential in that guy.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thinking squad building wise for the immediate season and next 2 or so...

GK - De Gea probably gets renewed for another year or so, but summer 2024 we bring in a starter like Diogo Costa. Backup no idea what we do, probably constant turnover but it's pretty irrelevant.

RB - Dalot is the current and long term guy. Backup, Wan Bissaka is capable, but i get the feeling we'll sell and replace with Frimpong.

RCB - Varane will be the starter for the next 3 seasons whenever fit. But past that I'd guess he'd decline and we'd replace as a starter. Lindelof is fine as cover til then, but could also see us go for someone like Ahmedhodzic as a long term replacement. Not sure any of the youth has any hope for that, maybe at most being backup to the next starter.

LCB - Martinez is the guy now and long term. Maguire will be sold soon I'd guess, and we'll look to replace him with a left footer who is content with being a squad player. Probably an older guy.

LB - sorted for starter and competition between Shaw and Malacia. No business needs to be done long term here barring really bad injury luck.

DM - Casemiro is the guy for the next 3-4 years as a starter with his professionalism. McTominay is a good depth for him. Nothing needs to be done until Casemiro declines and probably leaves.

CM - one of the priority positions IMO. Eriksen is decent, but should probably be squad player. Fred is decent, but also squad player. Nobody else here whether it's adequate depth or big youth potential. Fred probably will leave in the summer and we should sign someone. Enzo, Nunes, Bellingham all look like they're heading elsewhere, so it's kind of Frenkie or bust for us. We'll see who we go for.

AM - Bruno the guy obviously, VdB useless and should leave asap, Amad has high potential and I could see him in the summer coming to be the competition/depth for #10 and RW. Don't need any signings. Don't think any of the other youth will amount to much here.

LW - we love our LW's. Rashford is the guy whether it is ultimately CF or LW. Garnacho also high potential. Sancho should eventually show his talent and he'll get time. If Rashford goes central long term, then I bet we sign someone like Felix to play off the left (or just have Sancho step up to that role)

RW - Antony is the guy long term, we invested a shit ton so he'll get time. Amad in the summer to come as depth, Sancho also depth.

ST - priority position along with CM. Maybe Rashford moves here. Martial is an enigma where he shows a decent enough level but not enough for where we want to be, but requires a huge spend to give more than what he does (100m signing). Would be good as competition if he didn't just crumble when he isn't a starter.
I'd guess Martial is moved on in 2024 and replaced with someone like Felix, and we have Felix/Rashford interchange between ST and LW.

I don't think any of the other youth will step in to be first team starting or potential starting with depth roles at the time over the next 3 years past Amad and Garnacho. Only if we struggle to fill a gap and just plug youth players there to temporarily fill those roles but without thinking that they'll be long term guys. Don't see the required level with most of them, but that's pretty normal as you only ever get 1 or 2 actual first team guys every few years.

So transfer wise:
Summer 2023 - need a CM, and an attacker. Possibly RB and CB depth to replace AWB and Maguire

Summer 2024 - need GK, probably another attacker to replace Martial and be more of a target man role (whether it's a sub or a starter level if our 2023 guy doesn't pan out).

And then the rest of our transfer business will be addressing issues that pop up (big injuries), backup goalkeepers, young prospects etc.

ForlansHair

Thinking squad building wise for the immediate season and next 2 or so...

GK - De Gea probably gets renewed for another year or so, but summer 2024 we bring in a starter like Diogo Costa. Backup no idea what we do, probably constant turnover but it's pretty irrelevant.

RB - Dalot is the current and long term guy. Backup, Wan Bissaka is capable, but i get the feeling we'll sell and replace with Frimpong.

RCB - Varane will be the starter for the next 3 seasons whenever fit. But past that I'd guess he'd decline and we'd replace as a starter. Lindelof is fine as cover til then, but could also see us go for someone like Ahmedhodzic as a long term replacement. Not sure any of the youth has any hope for that, maybe at most being backup to the next starter.

LCB - Martinez is the guy now and long term. Maguire will be sold soon I'd guess, and we'll look to replace him with a left footer who is content with being a squad player. Probably an older guy.

LB - sorted for starter and competition between Shaw and Malacia. No business needs to be done long term here barring really bad injury luck.

DM - Casemiro is the guy for the next 3-4 years as a starter with his professionalism. McTominay is a good depth for him. Nothing needs to be done until Casemiro declines and probably leaves.

CM - one of the priority positions IMO. Eriksen is decent, but should probably be squad player. Fred is decent, but also squad player. Nobody else here whether it's adequate depth or big youth potential. Fred probably will leave in the summer and we should sign someone. Enzo, Nunes, Bellingham all look like they're heading elsewhere, so it's kind of Frenkie or bust for us. We'll see who we go for.

AM - Bruno the guy obviously, VdB useless and should leave asap, Amad has high potential and I could see him in the summer coming to be the competition/depth for #10 and RW. Don't need any signings. Don't think any of the other youth will amount to much here.

LW - we love our LW's. Rashford is the guy whether it is ultimately CF or LW. Garnacho also high potential. Sancho should eventually show his talent and he'll get time. If Rashford goes central long term, then I bet we sign someone like Felix to play off the left (or just have Sancho step up to that role)

RW - Antony is the guy long term, we invested a shit ton so he'll get time. Amad in the summer to come as depth, Sancho also depth.

ST - priority position along with CM. Maybe Rashford moves here. Martial is an enigma where he shows a decent enough level but not enough for where we want to be, but requires a huge spend to give more than what he does (100m signing). Would be good as competition if he didn't just crumble when he isn't a starter.
I'd guess Martial is moved on in 2024 and replaced with someone like Felix, and we have Felix/Rashford interchange between ST and LW.

I don't think any of the other youth will step in to be first team starting or potential starting with depth roles at the time over the next 3 years past Amad and Garnacho. Only if we struggle to fill a gap and just plug youth players there to temporarily fill those roles but without thinking that they'll be long term guys. Don't see the required level with most of them, but that's pretty normal as you only ever get 1 or 2 actual first team guys every few years.

So transfer wise:
Summer 2023 - need a CM, and an attacker. Possibly RB and CB depth to replace AWB and Maguire

Summer 2024 - need GK, probably another attacker to replace Martial and be more of a target man role (whether it's a sub or a starter level if our 2023 guy doesn't pan out).

And then the rest of our transfer business will be addressing issues that pop up (big injuries), backup goalkeepers, young prospects etc.
Agree with this, as long as we can get new contracts sorted for Rashford, Dalot and Shaw. I'm quite nervous about Rashford and Dalot in particular, the PSG chairman won't shut up about Rashford and there's always mumblings about Dalot and the likes of Barcelona. Ducker said the other day in a tweet we hadn't even started talks with Shaw yet so we really do need to get a move on. It would cost over £100m to replace Rashford adequately let alone the other two.

Adding the CM and ST will complete the squad in terms of numbers, I'm sure ETH would like to adjust some of the profiles in a couple of positions (left footed CB, attacker more comfortable on the right with better 1v1 than Antony, a CM technically better than Fred etc.), so hopefully we can sell well too

bosnian_red

Agree with this, as long as we can get new contracts sorted for Rashford, Dalot and Shaw. I'm quite nervous about Rashford and Dalot in particular, the PSG chairman won't shut up about Rashford and there's always mumblings about Dalot and the likes of Barcelona. Ducker said the other day in a tweet we hadn't even started talks with Shaw yet so we really do need to get a move on. It would cost over £100m to replace Rashford adequately let alone the other two.

Adding the CM and ST will complete the squad in terms of numbers, I'm sure ETH would like to adjust some of the profiles in a couple of positions (left footed CB, attacker more comfortable on the right with better 1v1 than Antony, a CM technically better than Fred etc.), so hopefully we can sell well too
Ten Hag personally wanted Antony over anyone, so you bet that he's going to get at least 3-4 seasons as a starter to get it right, especially if at bare minimum Antony stays decent technique wise and with work rate.

croadyman

Ten Hag personally wanted Antony over anyone, so you bet that he's going to get at least 3-4 seasons as a starter to get it right, especially if at bare minimum Antony stays decent technique wise and with work rate.
He does look very raw but confident he will get there under Erik who clearly trusts him

ForlansHair

Sure, I meant to compliment him and add another option rather than replace. I like Antony and we are a lot worse on that side when he doesn't play, as we don't have adequate back up (we do in numbers, just not in quality). I could easily see ETH wanting to sell Sancho in 18 months and replacing him with a better profile on the right, for example.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Need:
* A top class CF

Should have:
* CM to rotate with Eriksen
* Backup CB
* Backup RB(if AWB leaves)

That's honestly it. We just lack a clinical finisher up front and more squad depth.

And then sell Maguire, AWB, Martial and McTominay or Van de Beek. Send Elanga out on loan and maybe bring Amad back.

croadyman

Need:
* A top class CF

Should have:
* Backup CB

That's honestly it. We just lack a clinical finisher up front and more squad depth.

And then sell Maguire, AWB, Martial and McTominay or Van de Beek. Send Elanga out on loan and maybe bring Amad back.
Won't get the should have's until the summer,also options are limited on the top class CF's but still need some cover there now

Erik the Red

Need:
* A top class CF

Should have:
* Backup CB

I would argue that we need two centre forwards. Dream scenario would be to bring in Moukoko now for say £10m (contract ends in the summer), and he can cover/ rotate with Martial for six months, and then we go for Kane in the Summer.

Each of the three offer quite different things, and because of their situations, all could do with managing their playing time. Kane will be over 30, so not able to play Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday every week, Martial is often injured, and arguably not the required level of quality, and Moukoko is still raw, and you wouldn't want him having the pressure of being first choice striker at United as a teenager. Kane guarantees goals for a few years, and gives us time to properly assess the number 9 market, both Martial and Moukoko from within, Osimhen and Sesko (at Napoli and RB), and anyone else who steps up. Or we just go for the outstanding candidate - Kylian Mbappe, finances permitting.

CM the obvious candidate is FDJ.

CB we need someone capable of slotting straight into the first team, and good enough to replace Varane. I wouldn't be averse to Kim Min Jae, but not sure how quick he is if we are playing a high line.

RB looks like ETH is comfortable using AWB, or letting him go if we can find a buyer and bring someone else in, so not fussed on this one.

GK looks like it may be sorted this week, with DDG taking a wage cut and Butland as cover.

The final luxury player I would bring in would be Musiala, from Bayern Munich, who looks future Ballon d'or material, to rotate with Bruno for the number 10 role, with Bruno potentially sharing right wing duties with Antony. I think Musiala and Moukoko could build a great partnership as the future of German football, and getting Moukoko in now may help persuade Musiala to join him down the line.

croadyman

I would argue that we need two centre forwards. Dream scenario would be to bring in Moukoko now for say £10m (contract ends in the summer), and he can cover/ rotate with Martial for six months, and then we go for Kane in the Summer.

Each of the three offer quite different things, and because of their situations, all could do with managing their playing time. Kane will be over 30, so not able to play Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday every week, Martial is often injured, and arguably not the required level of quality, and Moukoko is still raw, and you wouldn't want him having the pressure of being first choice striker at United as a teenager. Kane guarantees goals for a few years, and gives us time to properly assess the number 9 market, both Martial and Moukoko from within, Osimhen and Sesko (at Napoli and RB), and anyone else who steps up. Or we just go for the outstanding candidate - Kylian Mbappe, finances permitting.

CB we need someone capable of slotting straight into the first team, and good enough to replace Varane. I wouldn't be averse to Kim Min Jae, but not sure how quick he is if we are playing a high line.

RB looks like ETH is comfortable using AWB, or letting him go if we can find a buyer and bring someone else in, so not fussed on this one.

GK looks like it may be sorted this week, with DDG taking a wage cut and Butland as cover.

The final luxury player I would bring in would be Musiala, from Bayern Munich, who looks future Ballon d'or material, to rotate with Bruno for the number 10 role, with Bruno potentially sharing right wing duties with Antony. I think Musiala and Moukoko could build a great partnership as the future of German football, and getting Moukoko in now may help persuade Musiala to join him down the line.
Totally agree we need two centre forwards with one a cheap deal/loan in January then go big for a proper number 9 in the summer.

Wouldn't be averse to a Bennacer/Caqueret in CM if De Jong still hasn't got it to leave Barca even with Champions League football.

There looks to a few options around for additional CB like that N'dicka who I believe will be a free agent in the summer.

Would be amazing if we could get someone in the mould of Vanderson/Gusto at RB but can't expect everything to get sorted.

AneRu

I think Moukoko now and Kane in the summer would be nice but I worry about Kane's decline even though I can appreciate that its a great little succession plan if we can get him. Kane wont play three times a week and the young gun can fill in depending on the opponent and importance of a match.

In CM Enzo Fernandez would have been ideal but Chelsea have gone crazy so its done. I no longer see it with De Jong and whether he has the mental strength to succeed in midfield in this league. But he would be a central cog in a system he knows under a manager who he enjoys mutual trust with. I do feel that with Casemiro's age we need a younger potential successor to rotate in and manage his minutes so that he is stays fresh for the important matches.

In defence, we need a third choice CB like you said who can replace Varane without a significant drop in quality. I wouldn't touch the RB unless there is a top talent available who is a clear upgrade, say we spot a young Haikimi or Cancelo on brink of a breakout season.

The reality though is that AWB, Maguire and Lindelof were once starters in a team that finished second a couple of years ago. They can be improved on but they are more than good enough for a back up role if they regularly used to maintain sharpness. At the end of the day its a squad game.

In attack I think a lot will depend on hw much we buy a striker and CM but if Sancho doesn't come back and do well I think we should sell him for 40m or so to an Aston Villa and look to pick up a versatile forward who can play both left left and right primarily to insure us against Anthony potentially flopping or turning out to be injury prone. Rashford and Garnacho are ok on LW for a few seasons at least.

So the must haves are
- 2 strikers
- 1 CM

And those I would like too funds permitting are:
- a young DM
- 3rd choice CB with the desirable physical attributes for a high line in a possession team
- a young winger.

bosnian_red

So with Enzo falling through and me realizing Kane has only 1 season left on his contract... I think I've got a new somewhat realistic dream 2 signings. Genuinely think we have a chance at them.

For Kane, I think there would only be 2 clubs in for him - United and Bayern. We'd be a distant 2nd to Bayern probably, but they tend to not want to stump up the cash and might prefer a younger player. So it's just on United to show a good 2nd half of the season to convince Kane he can win here. Don't see him renewing his contract when they miss out on CL, nor would they let him run it down for a free I think.

For Enzo... I think it'd be Chelsea, Liverpool and United in for him. And I think Liverpool would drop out due to price and get Nunes. And I think we'll be far more attractive than Chelsea in the summer.

Then Diogo Costa in the following summer and we are complete :drool:

eire-red

If 150m gets us Kane and De Jong in the summer, or equivalent type of signings, then we're looking like almost the finished article in my eyes.

I know we say this probably every year, but this transfer window is crucial. Reminds me of when Liverpool signed Alisson and Fabinho in the same window. Our key signings need to have the same type of impact.

croadyman

If 150m gets us Kane and De Jong in the summer, or equivalent type of signings, then we're looking like almost the finished article in my eyes.

I know we say this probably every year, but this transfer window is crucial. Reminds me of when Liverpool signed Alisson and Fabinho in the same window. Our key signings need to have the same type of impact.
We still need to take some action for CF now before even thinking about the summer

bosnian_red

Yep. It's hard to make the jump up to true title challengers, but if we managed to bring in Kane up top and Frenkie or Enzo in midfield, then we'd definitely make that jump IMO. Being able to put out:
Rashford Kane Antony
Enzo Casemiro Bruno
Shaw Martinez Varane Dalot
De Gea​

Such a complete lineup. De Gea can be upgraded on, but is fine, and the rest are all the perfect profiles that we need with an excellent blend of youth, experience, pace, aggression etc. The striker position is absolutely key though. Getting a CF like Kane, like Barca did with Lewandowski, where they are target men, creators, scorers... very hard to find, but can be the difference.

daba

Yep. It's hard to make the jump up to true title challengers, but if we managed to bring in Kane up top and Frenkie or Enzo in midfield, then we'd definitely make that jump IMO. Being able to put out:
Rashford Kane Antony
Enzo Casemiro Bruno
De Gea​

Such a complete lineup. De Gea can be upgraded on, but is fine, and the rest are all the perfect profiles that we need with an excellent blend of youth, experience, pace, aggression etc. The striker position is absolutely key though. Getting a CF like Kane, like Barca did with Lewandowski, where they are target men, creators, scorers... very hard to find, but can be the difference.
I have to say, that line-up does makes me tingly.

Throw in a free/decent value CB to replace Maguire/Lindelof like Ndicka (free - no idea how he’s doing this year?), Skriniar (free - may be harder to convince to be a rotational CB) or Disasi (30-35m - seen he’s linked today) - then our squad is looking pretty tasty.

Will be super interesting to see who we do go for across both the CF and CM position come the summer.

Bojan Djordjic

Not a priority by any means but now that Donny is injured and hasn't really convinced that he can be part of the team's future, I think we should think about a succession plan or apprentice for Bruno. Arda Guler at Fenerbace is seventeen and apparently has a €5mn release clause this summer should he not play 1500mins in the league this season. Given he's played 37mins so far (and scored two goals in that limited time), it's likely this clause can be triggered. He's a really outstanding prospect by all accounts and seems to be considered to have the potential to be one of the best Turkish players ever. €5mn would be a snip for this level of talent and would be very smart purchase while the opportunity presents itself.

bosnian_red

Not a priority by any means but now that Donny is injured and hasn't really convinced that he can be part of the team's future, I think we should think about a succession plan or apprentice for Bruno. Arda Guler at Fenerbace is seventeen and apparently has a €5mn release clause this summer should he not play 1500mins in the league this season. Given he's played 37mins so far (and scored two goals in that limited time), it's likely this clause can be triggered. He's a really outstanding prospect by all accounts and seems to be considered to have the potential to be one of the best Turkish players ever. €5mn would be a snip for this level of talent and would be very smart purchase while the opportunity presents itself.
We already have Amad as the succession plan to Bruno!

Bojan Djordjic

We already have Amad as the succession plan to Bruno!
Amad is one of the only left footed forwards we have. I just think his profile is too valuable for us at right wing for that not to be the position he gets most of his minutes at for us.

I really love watching Amad and he's very gifted but I have to say as well as he is doing at Sunderland, I don't see him being a United player long-term. I can't pin my finger on it but he's missing something whether its aggression or physicality or even tactical awareness. I think he can still go on to be an excellent player but I don't think he'll get the time he needs to develop into that player here. Amad isn't considered one of the elite players of his age group but Guler definitely is so I think for €5mn it is definitely worth the flutter and in an ideal world but him and Amad thrive.

bosnian_red

Amad is one of the only left footed forwards we have. I just think his profile is too valuable for us at right wing for that not to be the position he gets most of his minutes at for us.

I really love watching Amad and he's very gifted but I have to say as well as he is doing at Sunderland, I don't see him being a United player long-term. I can't pin my finger on it but he's missing something whether its aggression or physicality or even tactical awareness. I think he can still go on to be an excellent player but I don't think he'll get the time he needs to develop into that player here. Amad isn't considered one of the elite players of his age group but Guler definitely is so I think for €5mn it is definitely worth the flutter and in an ideal world but him and Amad thrive.
I don't see Amad having what it takes on the wing, but he's now being used centrally and excelling and showing a really high potential level IMO, definitely one that he could step in and be a top player. Bruno's still got plenty of years left, so Amad as the cover and eventual replacement is fine to be viewed as that for the next 4-5 years. In general though, yeah you still go for all elite talents at the age group and see how it shakes up later, but that's separate from any actual squad building IMO. That's not a player who comes in and is useful in any way. That's one who goes to the reserves for a while, signings like Garnacho/Hannibal/Amad etc.

eire-red

We still need to take some action for CF now before even thinking about the summer
I think we'll be fine IF, and only IF we don't suffer any injuries to Rashford. So with that conditional, yeah you're probably right that we need backup players. Who could we realistically get that would score 10-15 goals in the second half of the season? Martial could probably score close to 10 if he properly tried (could being the big word there), so it's a tricky one.

Antony and Bruno can definitely up those output numbers I think as well. If we keep very solid at the back, I can see us churn out a lot of 1-0's this season. Also, we're finally scoring from set pieces again. It's been huge for us to get those first goals and force teams to open up against us.

However, we'll feel it if we compete deep in any cups, not having that clinical striker. I think we can secure top 4 without buying anyone though.

eire-red

Rashford Kane Antony
Enzo Casemiro Bruno
De Gea​

Yeah I think we can win the league with that starting 11. If ETH gets Sancho back to form, Martial on board as second string, and Amad coming back with a very good loan under his belt and competing for first team with Garnacho, we have decent depth there.

I feel like we need a top CM, and maybe a punt on a more potential-type signing (I liked the look of Majer in the WC), because an injury to Casemiro or FDJ/Enzo in this hypothetical, and we're back to looking a bit sketchy. I think we'll see Elanga, McTominay and Williams sold in the summer. Decent funds there to buy a third choice CM.

I prefer FDJ as I think he can play alongside Casemiro, and also deputise in the holding role, but I can't see us prising him from Barca. Enzo looks Chelsea-bound, so it will be interesting to see who we have lined up as alternatives.

croadyman

Yeah I think we can win the league with that starting 11. If ETH gets Sancho back to form, Martial on board as second string, and Amad coming back with a very good loan under his belt and competing for first team with Garnacho, we have decent depth there.

I feel like we need a top CM, and maybe a punt on a more potential-type signing (I liked the look of Majer in the WC), because an injury to Casemiro or FDJ/Enzo in this hypothetical, and we're back to looking a bit sketchy. I think we'll see Elanga, McTominay and Williams sold in the summer. Decent funds there to buy a third choice CM.

I prefer FDJ as I think he can play alongside Casemiro, and also deputise in the holding role, but I can't see us prising him from Barca. Enzo looks Chelsea-bound, so it will be interesting to see who we have lined up as alternatives.
Do you think a third choice CM would be more important than CB/RB cover or did you mean in addition to those two

eire-red

Do you think a third choice CM would be more important than CB/RB cover or did you mean in addition to those two
I think the drop in quality going from Casemiro or equivalent to Fred/McTominay in that starting role is much bigger than Dalot to AWB.

Watching Maguire and Lindelof vs Bournemouth gave me some unpleasantness flashbacks, but think we have to sell Maguire before we buy a CB. If we recouped even half of the fee for Maguire and could afford Kim from Napoli, we'd look v strong.

croadyman

I think the drop in quality going from Casemiro or equivalent to Fred/McTominay in that starting role is much bigger than Dalot to AWB.

Watching Maguire and Lindelof vs Bournemouth gave me some unpleasantness flashbacks, but think we have to sell Maguire before we buy a CB. If we recouped even half of the fee for Maguire and could afford Kim from Napoli, we'd look v strong.
That N'dicka is a free agent

Mainoldo

RB - replace AWB hopefully in the summer and not January

CM - Progressive 8 which fortunately we now have a few names to juggle between

ST - Will probably be Kane. Even though I wanted someone younger. I think we have to attempt to go for the Prem next season and he will be onboard for his career goals to meaning anything.

CB - To replace Maguire who I can’t see staying on the bench. Varane profile would be great. Hopefully Tomori and not Timber.

AM can be looked at the season after.