Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Toby
Sandro / Tierney
Fred
Bale
Savic / Jorginho
Mandzukic
And an understudy / backup for Valencia if that's possible.

Sell: Darmian, Blind, Jones/Smalling/Rojo (or loan Lindelof), Fellaini. Also can sell Martial, Mata and Shaw/Young if we must to generate some €.

We do this and we are right there with City.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Lenglet
Sandro
Sidibe
Neves

However I'm expecting:
Fred
Willian
Sandro
Sneaky suspicion we might get Fabinho too.
Brazilian theme.

automaticflare

Toby
Sandro / Tierney
Fred
Bale
Savic / Jorginho
Mandzukic
And an understudy / backup for Valencia if that's possible.

Sell: Darmian, Blind, Jones/Smalling/Rojo (or loan Lindelof), Fellaini. Also can sell Martial, Mata and Shaw/Young if we must to generate some €.

We do this and we are right there with City.
Can’t believe you spend all that cash and then want a Valencia understudy/backup

Tom Foster

Just 4.......?
That’s just for starters.
Ok, I’m going down the realistic road. Definitely Harry Kane, Fergie would already be on his case. Lukaku will be gone at the end of next season in whatever capacity. No use to us if he can’t be arsed for a season-defining cup final.
Then, I can’t believe we never tried to get Harry Maguire after those Hull semi-finals.
Two to go, I’d take a punt on Mahrez, who’s itching to take a step up.
Finally, an off the wall signing with Jack Grealish from Villa.

Woziak

Every Post which was posted after the CL final says;

Bale or Ronaldo
Fred
Sandro
Toby

I wonder after the World Cup if we have maybe signed 2 of that list that we will demand a new list of 4 which looks like this based on WC performances ;

Sergej Milinkovavik-Savic
James Rodriguez
Tino Warner
Jao Cancelo

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Can’t believe you spend all that cash and then want a Valencia understudy/backup
You mean, replacing Valencia is a must? I know that Valencia must be replaced with a better quality player. But may be that can wait another year and we can use Valencia and TFM at RB for a year and see how TFM fares.

Regarding my list of players to buy; it shows the sad state of our current squad. The gap between Utd and City is huge and with the addition of Keita, Fekir and a GK, liverpool will also be a commendable force next season. We must spend around 250-300 mil now if we want to challenge for title next season.

automaticflare

You mean, replacing Valencia is a must? I know that Valencia must be replaced with a better quality player. But may be that can wait another year and we can use Valencia and TFM at RB for a year and see how TFM fares.

Regarding my list of players to buy; it shows the sad state of our current squad. The gap between Utd and City is huge and with the addition of Keita, Fekir and a GK, liverpool will also be a commendable force next season. We must spend around 250-300 mil now if we want to challenge for title next season.
Would much rather young over Valencia on the right and buy a natural left back personally if it is one or the other

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Would much rather young over Valencia on the right and buy a natural left back personally if it is one or the other
Considering the urgent need for upgrades/replacements in other positions, Young and Valencia competing for RB for a year is not that bad. Regarding LB, i have mentioned Sandro on my list as the first choice LB.

Sterling Archer

Bale AND William?
What would be your first eleven?
Listen, that's the manager's problem not mine :wenger:

Half joking there because we don't exactly have a 'selection dilemma' now. I see it as more than a best 11. It really needs to be a best 13 or 14 realistically if we want to be competing for the PL with this City side and in the Champions League as well with a very impressive selection of well-oiled teams in it now. It doesn't seem so crazy thinking back to when Jose talked about two excellent players for every position .

So here are two of numerous possible ideas in my head that may or may not work:

------------ Sanchez ----- Lukaku
------------------------- Bale
-------------Pogba --- Matic ---- Fred
Sandro ---- Alderweireld -- Bailly ---- Sidibe
------------------------ DDG

So attackers and CMs left out: Willian, Lingard, Rashford, Mata, Martial, Herrera, McTominay

I see that and think healthy competition and mix of experienced world beaters. One of our best seasons in the last ten years saw Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez all vying for starting spots. And for the sake of balance it just didn't make sense to play them all at the same time yet they all got plenty of minutes. You keep them as long as they can accept the role. Heck, Bale just did that and has four CLs. It's not an impossible ask of a player.

Heres another possibility that is pretty much how we lined up against CSKA and played arguably one of our best games this season:

-------------------- Lukaku
----------- Sanchez ---- Bale
Sandro -- Fred ----- Matic ---- Willian
---- Alderweireld -- Smalling ---- Lindelof
------------------------ DDG

No Pogba here..and in that match it was Herrera and Matic in the center. Worked really well.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Buy:

Sessegnon/Tierney/Sandro (In that order)
Alderweireld
SMS/Fred
Bale (I was initially against his signing due to his injury record. However, he's grown on me since the final) :devil:
Some obscure cheap over the hill 6'13'' striker to stop Jose moaning about Martial and Rashford.
Promote a couple of kids from the academy

Sell:

Blind
Rojo
Shaw (I personally think he's very good, but Jose wants to get rid for some reason)
Lindelof
Fellaini (Free)
Mata
McTom (Loan)

yo@Kirk

FBs are a must have to provide width in attack so I want Sandro and Sidibe. I want to play a midfield 3 so I need a box to box CM that fits with Matic and Pogba so I want Fred. I think an experienced, composed, ball playing CB with a lot PL experience would solidify the back 4 so I want Alderweireld. I would line up in a 4-3-1-2 because I think that puts United's most talented players in position to be United's best team. This is the line up.

-------------------------de God-------------------------
---Sidibe--------Bailly-----------Alderweireld--------Sandro
-------------------------Matic-----------------
-----------Fred--------------------------------Pogba
-------------------------Sanchez-----------------------
--------------Lukaku--------------------Martial

Fer

FBs are a must have to provide width in attack so I want Sandro and Sidibe. I want to play a midfield 3 so I need a box to box CM that fits with Matic and Pogba so I want Fred. I think an experienced, composed, ball playing CB with a lot PL experience would solidify the back 4 so I want Alderweireld. I would line up in a 4-3-1-2 because I think that puts United's most talented players in position to be United's best team. This is the line up.

-------------------------de God-------------------------
---Sidibe--------Bailly-----------Alderweireld--------Sandro
-------------------------Matic-----------------
-----------Fred--------------------------------Pogba
-------------------------Sanchez-----------------------
--------------Lukaku--------------------Martial
IMO Sanchez would be better up front with Lukaku. He loses the ball to often in midfield... Someone like Fekir would be better behind the forwards. I agree that 4312 could work for us with proper fullbacks.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sandro
Alderweireld
Fred
Bale

Seems to be lining up that way, hopefully.

——-———De Gea
Valencia Bailly Alderweireld Sandro
——————Matic
——--Fred ———- Pogba
Bale———Lukaku——-Sánchez
That’s a very good side but think we still need a new attacking right back to allow Bale to cut inside at will. Also we may go with SMS (a diamond formation) instead of Bale if cost or even Willian. But a very good team that’s shaping up here.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Buy:

Sessegnon/Tierney/Sandro (In that order)
Alderweireld
SMS/Fred
Bale (I was initially against his signing due to his injury record. However, he's grown on me since the final) :devil:
Some obscure cheap over the hill 6'13'' striker to stop Jose moaning about Martial and Rashford.
Promote a couple of kids from the academy

Sell:

Blind
Rojo
Shaw (I personally think he's very good, but Jose wants to get rid for some reason)
Lindelof
Fellaini (Free)
Mata
McTom (Loan)
Sandro or Tierney for me @Sultan over Sessegnon. What makes you think differently or you not saw enough of tierney? That kid is pure quality. I’ve saw quite a bit of Sessegnon good young prospect but imo at this stage he’d struggle for us at left back just now. Could become a top player though but we need ready made just now and in Sandro we have one and tierney is nearly in that bracket already with massive potential to really kick on.

RedNed77

Tierney
Alderwiereld
Shelvey
Bale

I know I'm going to get pelters for Shelvey, but if you can get past;

1. He played for Liverpool
2. He's a bit of a nutcase
3. He played for Liverpool

He's pretty much exactly what we need in midfield. He's looked ultra competitive when he's played against the top 6 teams, has been on the winning side in 5 of the last 7 games he has played against us, owned Pogba when we played them up at their place, will add bite in midfield, has a great eye for a pass and can play in a couple of positions in the midfield, as a 6 & 8. Plus he's English.

This probably should be in that unpopular opinions thread tbf.

Edit: TBF I don't know what I was thinking here, dearie me :houllier:

Last edited:

kbbear

Got to love this thread. 90% of us pick 4 names that are currently linked and not 4 names based on players we've actually watched and independently thought would be good for us. I'm just a guilty of the same but i can only name 2 being Manolas and Kovacic (both previously linked but very value than current favours on the month Alderweirweld and Savic.

Robbo*

Other than Griezmann, is the Athletico team likely to stay together? Have always thought that Gimenez, Niguez and Koke would probably be good value for their level of talent and experience for their age.

yo@Kirk

IMO Sanchez would be better up front with Lukaku. He loses the ball to often in midfield... Someone like Fekir would be better behind the forwards. I agree that 4312 could work for us with proper fullbacks.
I would love to have Fekir instead of Sanchez. But I'd rather have Martial at left forward than Sanchez because he's been a better attacking player from the left side for United this season than Sanchez.

Mercurial

In:
Sidibe / Sandro
Toby
Fred
Bale

Keep:
Martial, unless he insists
Pogba

Out:
Darmian
Blind
Jones
Herrera
Shaw

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Must keep:
Pogba
DDG

In:
Toby
Sandro
SMS
Willian

Out:
Lindelof(loan)
Jones
Darmian
Blind
Fellaini
Martial (if only he insists)

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Got to love this thread. 90% of us pick 4 names that are currently linked and not 4 names based on players we've actually watched and independently thought would be good for us. I'm just a guilty of the same but i can only name 2 being Manolas and Kovacic (both previously linked but very value than current favours on the month Alderweirweld and Savic.
Because whatever players you want won't be available otherwise the club would be wise enough to court them instead. Better to snap up those who are good and available. I would like to have Messi but it doesn't work like that.

Alderweirald and Savic flavor of the month? One is in the seria A team of the season and other is one of the most reliable centre backs in the PL.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Got a feeling we might end up with:
  1. Fred
  2. Sidibe
  3. One of N'Dombele or Torreira
  4. Bale

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Only 4? In that case:

RW: Bale
CM: Fred
LB: Tierney
RB: Fabinho

Sanchez-----Lukaku-------Bale
------Pogba---Matic---Fred----
Tierney---Rojo--Bailly---Fabinho
---------------DDG----------------

Ideally, I'd like to add Alderweirald to that list.

Fer

Lenglet
Sandro
Sidibe
Neves

However I'm expecting:
Fred
Willian
Sandro
Sneaky suspicion we might get Fabinho too.
Brazilian theme.
I think Fred and maybe Sandro are the Brazilian players we are going to sign.

TehRed

I'm no longer able to stick to just four. My list now is Fred, Milinkovic-Savic, Sidibe, Sandro, Alderweireld and Bale. It'll never happen in a million years, but I think we do need at least four of those six. Just not sure which four.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
As long as they aren’t all 30+ years old on massive wages, whatever four players the manager wants. We have no DoF and the team needs to be built in a coherent vision. He should be the one to provide that.

Also, please stop listing Sessegnon as a LB.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It's funny that at the start of this thread, only a couple of months ago, every other person wanted Jorginho (quite a few Fabinho mentions as well) and now recently it has shifted to Fred!

For the record mine were:

Alderweireld CB
Sandro LB
Kimmich RB
Kroos CM
Bale AM

Fer

If we play 4312... Which top No.10/CAM/SS would you sign to play behind Lukaku?

Sanchez - Lukaku
New No.10
Pogba - Matic - Fred
NewLB- NewCB - Bailly - NewRB
De Gea
Griezmann, Bale, Dybala, Isco, Fekir, Draxler, Eriksen?

MrSingh2002

De Gea
Dalot Bailly CB Sandro
Matic
Pogba Fred
Sanchez Lukaku Martial
4 signings and done. Jose needs to make Sanchez play from the right wing and take over the Mata role. We're only two defenders away from this right now in Sandro plus a world class centre back.

If Jose did this I think we could win the league next season. Until he doesn't start Martial and Sanchez together in the same attack I can't see us getting anywhere unless one is replaced.