What should we do for the right wing if we don't get Sancho in the upcoming window?

Redcy

If Sancho cannot be acquired I would seriously try lure Saint-Maximum from Newcastle, there is definitely something there that could give us a boost and has played in the League, that or Grealish but not for the 80m Villa reportedly want.
why would villa sell for less?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It does not make sense tbh, I have seen Shaw put in some great through balls to Rashford in the past. Not just Jose, LVG did also mention that Shaw needs to be fitter because he wants his full backs to be able to get up and down, it seems he has motivational issues. If he got his mentality right, I am less worried about Shaw.

Yep, you can see how quick teams have caught on, let Manutd go wide, they will never cross the ball in. this is where sometimes we should just whip it in and have 2/3 players in the box, we dont need the biggest team. Man City and Liverpool score loads from crosses.

I do not think we have the money to spend this summer, we will look to get a couple players to help out but not what we all think.
Shaw can make good passes on the ground and between the lines but he doesn't whip crosses in sadly.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It depends. If we think we can still get Sancho next year then we should go for a short term fix - Bale on loan would be ideal, with Greenwood able to give rotation to keep them all fresh.

If we are giving up on Sancho then I don’t know.

Web of Bissaka

Gareth Bale. On loan.
This.

Real would be more than willing to negotiate.
And Bale would also get the chance to play now that we're qualified for CL.

Think Bale would only agreed if Real still play his wages.

Win-win-win situation for all three parties.
Real to get rid of Bale happily albeit temporarily.
Bale to play and keep wages.
United to get a top world class winger, on loan.

Falcow

Greenwood will score 15+ if he starts the next season as our first choice RW. Don't think there are so many options in the market that can hit that mark.
That is an excellent point. I have no doubt that his overall output in terms of assist etc will improve next season. Why look for a solution to wide right when it is already in our squad.

My only concern would be burn out. We dont want to overplay him at his age.

I'm more worried about the imbalance we appear to have in midfield than whether or not we get Sancho as Sancho wont address that.

wolvored

This.

Real would be more than willing to negotiate.
And Bale would also get the chance to play now that we're qualified for CL.

Think Bale would only agreed if Real still play his wages.

Win-win-win situation for all three parties.
Real to get rid of Bale happily albeit temporarily.
Bale to play and keep wages.
United to get a top world class winger, on loan.
Why would Real loan to us and pay all his wages? They might as well keep him as backup. No, they would expect us to pay at least half around £300k a week. What if he then gets injured (he is injury prone) after 4-5 games and hes out for the next 3-4 months? Too much of a risk I think.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If we can’t get sancho then it does make sense to just let Greenwood play as first choice. However, we can’t go into the season with just MMM so we need to sign someone to help cover in case of drops in from or injuries. I like Chiesa as a player and he is young enough that he can rotate in and out. As I’ve said earlier I think Dembele would be a great signing at the right cost or on a loan deal. What we can’t do is sign no one.

romufc

If we can’t get sancho then it does make sense to just let Greenwood play as first choice. However, we can’t go into the season with just MMM so we need to sign someone to help cover in case of drops in from or injuries. I like Chiesa as a player and he is young enough that he can rotate in and out. As I’ve said earlier I think Dembele would be a great signing at the right cost or on a loan deal. What we can’t do is sign no one.
Would it be worth changing formation?

Hear me out on this, I might be wrong but I think it could work in most games except v City and Pool.

Play a 4-4-2 diamond.

.DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
DM
Grealish Pogba
Bruno
Martial Rashford

The games we have played post lockdown, we have lacked midfield control, Greenwood and Rashfrod both came infield, so why not enforce the midfield which will let us dominate games ?

If we cannot get Sancho, do we spend the money on another RW or do we wait one more year? We could go sign a Grealish and a DM or a Van de Beek and a DM.

Obviously, my preference is to get a RW and play our usual formation but we need to look at alternatives.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Hear me out on this, I might be wrong but I think it could work in most games except v City and Pool.

Play a 4-4-2 diamond.

.DDG
DM
Grealish Pogba
Bruno
Martial Rashford

The games we have played post lockdown, we have lacked midfield control, Greenwood and Rashfrod both came infield, so why not enforce the midfield which will let us dominate games ?

If we cannot get Sancho, do we spend the money on another RW or do we wait one more year? We could go sign a Grealish and a DM or a Van de Beek and a DM.

Obviously, my preference is to get a RW and play our usual formation but we need to look at alternatives.
Honestly I don’t think it would.

We’d be far too narrow and so many teams drop deep and block the central areas that we’d struggle massively to make this work.

Bwuk

I don’t think Bale would want to come here.

Think he’s quite happy to play golf in the sun.

Bwuk

Play a 4-4-2 diamond.

.DDG
DM
Grealish Pogba
Bruno
Martial Rashford

Wed be relying on our full backs to create width and creativity from wide. Not really Shaw or AWB skill set.

iHicksy

We need two quality attackers. One for the right and one for the left. Our attacking three is fine but the drop off in quality on the bench is what will cause is not to challenge for the title. One injury to Greenwood or Rashford (Ighalo is a good enough backup for Tony) and we're screwed. Not to mention the issue of burnout or having to rush people back from injury too soon because the other options aren't good enough.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Tonnes of options really. Chiesa, Dembele, Berardi, Buendia, potential arguement for Plea. Any that would occupy a few positions and still let Greenwood get a good chunk of minutes.

romufc

Honestly I don’t think it would.

We’d be far too narrow and so many teams drop deep and block the central areas that we’d struggle massively to make this work.
Aren't we narrow right now? Have a look at Greenwood's average position in a game, he likes to stay infield. Rashford can still drift out wide.

The criticism this team has is Bruno plays too close to Martial, in this formation, he can drop deeper and make it a 3 with Pogba and another CM.

romufc

Wed be relying on our full backs to create width and creativity from wide. Not really Shaw or AWB skill set.
We have done that for the last few games, which is why in this formation we need a RW.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Aren't we narrow right now? Have a look at Greenwood's average position in a game, he likes to stay infield. Rashford can still drift out wide.

The criticism this team has is Bruno plays too close to Martial, in this formation, he can drop deeper and make it a 3 with Pogba and another CM.
I’d say no. Because we use the wide space to cut inside. We don’t just occupy central areas.

I think you’d end up with Rashford and Martial marked by two CBs and be relying on AWB and Shaw who would have less support. Not trying to be rude but it would be a terrible idea.

romufc

I’d say no. Because we use the wide space to cut inside. We don’t just occupy central areas.

I think you’d end up with Rashford and Martial marked by two CBs and be relying on AWB and Shaw who would have less support. Not trying to be rude but it would be a terrible idea.
Point taken, as I said in my initial post, would it be worth changing it?

I am not 100% keen on it either, but let me tell you one thing, if we persist with this formation and no natural wingers, we will find ourselves in the same position next year.

Womp

idiot
Vinicus? Not sure if he can play on the right, but he'd be my pick along with Dembele, who I think would be far more suited to our training/game methods

Lee565

I reckon felix would be open to a move away from Atletico, before moving to Atletico he was touted pretty much as the best under 20 player in the world.

Crustanoid

We absolutely need to keep upping the stakes on quality - we were lucky to get third in the end and there will be stronger competition, plus the CL is a step up too. I don't think we can rely on this squad and should be getting rid of some of the Lingaards, Matas, etc too rather than relying on them. We might also get injuries. #

Hopefully our massive global scouting team have a few alternatives we can bring in for quality and depth

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Vinicus? Not sure if he can play on the right, but he'd be my pick along with Dembele, who I think would be far more suited to our training/game methods
Vinicius would be a lovely option but far too expensive and Real have literally no reason to offload him.
I reckon felix would be open to a move away from Atletico, before moving to Atletico he was touted pretty much as the best under 20 player in the world.
Felix operates better as a second striker than a RW. Would be playing him out of position.

Paul_Scholes18

Put our faith in the current squad under a new manager? Let Ole try to improve Lingard,Mata and Pereira as options?
Splash the cash on something else?

Anybody's Guess

As long as it doesn't involve playing James there and just hoping he turns into a footballer at some point.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
If we can’t get Sancho, then I’d go for Dembele. If not Dembele, then Coman. No one else possesses much quality to offset the loss of not getting Sancho. Or even come close to it.

On a side note: I just entered this thread and jumped straight to the 17th page. Is there really anyone out there if we can’t get Dembele or Coman?

Maybe Fati.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If we can’t get Sancho, then I’d go for Dembele. If not Dembele, then Coman. No one else possesses much quality to offset the loss of not getting Sancho. Or even come close to it.

On a side note: I just entered this thread and jumped straight to the 17th page. Is there really anyone out there if we can’t get Dembele or Coman?

Maybe Fati.
Dembele is far too injury prone and Coman isn’t effective enough.

Traore would be my not ideal but very good pick. Comfortable keeping width. Great ability to scare teams and his output has improved massively.

Also a fan of Ismailia Sarr too but I think the next best thing would be Adama.

romufc

What if we went for Memphis, Van de Beek, and a backup LB?

This is based on us not having too much to spend. £40m for VDB, £40m for Memphis and £15m Jamal Lewis?

Sell Perreira, Smalling, Jones, Rojo for £30m = net spend of £65m.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

This is based on us not having too much to spend. £40m for VDB, £40m for Memphis and £15m Jamal Lewis?

I wouldn’t be at all opposed to that.

Memphis would be an excellent option for ST, LW and CAM potentially decent at RW too and seems to have matured into a superior player to his United days.

DVB is a great midfield option for a reasonable fee and Lewis I think is a very good young LB however I can’t see us displacing Williams (even though I like him his lack of left foot does hamper us)

romufc

I wouldn’t be at all opposed to that.

Memphis would be an excellent option for ST, LW and CAM potentially decent at RW too and seems to have matured into a superior player to his United days.

DVB is a great midfield option for a reasonable fee and Lewis I think is a very good young LB however I can’t see us displacing Williams (even though I like him his lack of left foot does hamper us)
Obviously not everyone will want this, we all want Sanchio but if its not feasible we need to find the most economical way of getting our window right.

We need to improve on our first 11 and squad. Memphis has a buy back clause or some sort of option for us to get him, Lyon may not have European football.

Memphis has come out and said he would have preferred playing for this Manutd team.

VDB we know is £40m so it would be an easy transfer.

I only mentioned Lewis because I think if Shaw does get injured the lack of a left footed player will cost us heavily.

If we don't get Sancho and we do something dumb like spend £60-80m on Grealish, I will be annoyed.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Obviously not everyone will want this, we all want Sanchio but if its not feasible we need to find the most economical way of getting our window right.

We need to improve on our first 11 and squad. Memphis has a buy back clause or some sort of option for us to get him, Lyon may not have European football.

Memphis has come out and said he would have preferred playing for this Manutd team.

I only mentioned Lewis because I think if Shaw does get injured the lack of a left footed player will cost us heavily.

If we don't get Sancho and we do something dumb like spend £60-80m on Grealish, I will be annoyed.
I think everyone’s going to moan if we don’t get Sancho but at least this option does exactly as you say. Offers a few quality but sensible transfers.

Id sooner see us bring back Memphis and sign DVB than pay anywhere near £80m for Grealish.

Sea-Cow

Haha yes I would be annoyed as well. However, if we signed Memphis I would go absolutely fecking mental. He is a false 9 player now, and in absolutely no universe is he a winger.

Honestly none of these back-up options really do much for me. But I have to believe that there are options out there who could instantly come in and improve our squad, if not our starting 11.

I think Brooks could be a good option for squad depth. He might not be an instant starter but he could force some good competition for places. I think Sarr could be good, but I am not sure about his effort.

But I hope we stay far far away from the ex-Dortmund Barca lad who's name escapes me now, and far away from Coman as well. And of course, stay far far away from Grealish and fecking Memphis.

romufc

Haha yes I would be annoyed as well. However, if we signed Memphis I would go absolutely fecking mental. He is a false 9 player now, and in absolutely no universe is he a winger.

Honestly none of these back-up options really do much for me. But I have to believe that there are options out there who could instantly come in and improve our squad, if not our starting 11.

I think Brooks could be a good option for squad depth. He might not be an instant starter but he could force some good competition for places. I think Sarr could be good, but I am not sure about his effort.

But I hope we stay far far away from the ex-Dortmund Barca lad who's name escapes me now, and far away from Coman as well. And of course, stay far far away from Grealish and fecking Memphis.
That is why I gave those options very cautiously. The problem with Memphis is that he is similar to Rashford, not really a winger on the right, he could be used as inside left.

Brooks is good, so is Sarr but we would have to spend £40m on them, to be squad options. When we need a starting 11 RW. If we dont get Sancho, my preference would be a left footer RW because we lack that in our game.

Sea-Cow

That is why I gave those options very cautiously. The problem with Memphis is that he is similar to Rashford, not really a winger on the right, he could be used as inside left.

Brooks is good, so is Sarr but we would have to spend £40m on them, to be squad options. When we need a starting 11 RW. If we dont get Sancho, my preference would be a left footer RW because we lack that in our game.
Agreed. And apart from Sancho I have no clue. But you would hope that our army of international scouts can find one freaking alternative between them.

romufc

Agreed. And apart from Sancho I have no clue. But you would hope that our army of international scouts can find one freaking alternative between them.
When was the last time we got a player that was scouted?

The last few signings have been well known players.

AWB - obvious choice
Maguire - Obvious choice, no need to scout
Bruno - Was putting in extreme numbers, was touted by Spurs first
James - Giggs recommended him to us.

RW - We have lacked a RW for 7 years and have not signed a competent one.

Lee565

AWB - obvious choice

The fact that they ignored the idea of signing bruno inthe summer and we really only panicked about buying him january because of all the lengthy injuries that were building up in midfield and attack shows how inept our scouts are.

Sea-Cow

AWB - obvious choice

I have no idea how it works but I would assume that all of the youth lads from abroad were the results of our scouts, for example Mejbri.

Edit, to add to it -- But lets see some of these scouts pull out an out of left field signing that can impact our first 11. I think Baily has been close to this in recent years, but I'm not sure on others.

Artorias

If we miss Sancho, i actually like your idea. Depay has improved a lot and could be of use. Sadly the Sancho saga is far of being decided and we can't wait forever.