What to do with Wayne Rooney?

berbasloth4

He does tend to have a good season when he has had a full pre season with no injuries or international tournaments. So fingers crossed

Kazi

What to do with Wayne Rooney? Seems like LvG's plan is to start him as a striker in every meaningful match. And I am more than happy with that.

Infra-red

My preference would be to play him as a striker or not at all (while also signing some meaningful competition for him in the spot up front).

HabeasC

No doubt that his best position is at CF and with very good players behind him, he should hopefully need to come back less.

marlowe78

We need Rooney out of the MF so getting Schneiderlin or someone comparable is going to be big. If we don't, Rooney is back in MF and same cycle repeats itself.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Definitely could see Memphis up front with Rooney in behind. Would at least like to see that so we'd have some speed at the front. Breakaways with Memphis and di Maria (assuming he stays) could be deadly.

lilcurt

If we play 4-3-3 as many expect for the majority of next season, I'm going to be gutted seeing Rooney start week in and week out.

When in form he is an absolute must, but an off form Rooney drops off so far from his usual level its frightening and we all know there will be points in the season when he is really off the pace.

carlosp

Rooney will be an outright striker this season I am sure. I can't see Schweinsteiger in the midfield and Rooney next to him. We have let RvP go so Rooney will be our main striker I have no doubt.

We could do with someone like Kane but can't see us getting him.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If we play 4-3-3 as many expect for the majority of next season, I'm going to be gutted seeing Rooney start week in and week out.

When in form he is an absolute must, but an off form Rooney drops off so far from his usual level its frightening and we all know there will be points in the season when he is really off the pace.
Even an off-form Rooney is productive though. How many times did we see him have a poor game and yet stills produces an assist or even a tap in goal himself. If RVP/Falcao did that when they were off it, they might still be here.

I have faith in Rooney. I honestly do think this is his last season as a guaranteed starter unless he has a magic season.

I say give him the chance of playing a full season in his best position, with Memphis and ADM next to him and watch him strive.

20+ goals for him next season.

Rooney will be an outright striker this season I am sure. I can't see Schweinsteiger in the midfield and Rooney next to him. We have let RvP go so Rooney will be our main striker I have no doubt.

We could do with someone like Kane but can't see us getting him.
I think LVG is planning for Depay - Rooney - Di Maria next season, and two of them getting 20 goals each.

Wilson will get plenty of game time and a full season to show he can step it up, otherwise we will be buying a top striker next summer.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I'm actually excited at the prospect of playing Rooney up top again.

When he's off form, his general touch, build up play and passing go to shit, but he still manages to score more often than not. So playing him up top limits the damage he can do when he's on a bad run.

Jev

With LVG's latest comments about us having enough strikers, it seems like he won't have much competition this season. I am happy with Rooney as a starter but quite surprised that we would go from Rooney, RvP and Falcao to Rooney, Hernandez and Wilson.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
For a neutral the Caf is sometimes a weird place. There are players, who will never be rated as high outside the Caf as in here(I won´t name names here in an attempt to not derail the thread) and then there is the case Wayne Rooney. I get that he is not the favourite of a lot of people on here because he dared to contemplate leaving the club, being concerned about the strength of the squad or being on massive wages, but it shouldn´t cloud the judgement of the people that much to not see what kind of blessing the player has been on the pitch for the club.

This can actually be put very clearly in numbers: Excluding last season, when Van Gaal clearly did not figure out where to play him, he had in every season since 2005a scorer/minute ratio of at least around 100. In some seasons (e.g. 2013/2014 and 2011/2012) he got as low as around 80. That basically means, that even if we include the last season Wayne Rooney has on average scored either an assist or a goal in every single game for a decade.

Several world class strikers manage to get similar numbers. Some do it for a season, some for two, very few for longer. Rooney does it for ten years, while often playing the void filler in the offensive midfield, the wing or on occasion even the central midfield.

Rooney is also more than about scoring. He is a well balanced offensive allrounder with next to no glaring weaknesses, an impressive football intelligence, a rock solid passing game (especially for a striker) and strong overall technique. On top of that he is one of the most hard working strikers around, clearly caring about the success of the team.

I honestly think that if Rooney would be playing for a different club and United would be linked with him the muppets would go overboard in his transfer thread.

I´m absolutely positive that if Rooney would finally be constantly trusted with his natural role as center forward, he could still be scoring 25+ goals per season and additionally assist half of that. And that is more than what can be said of nearly every possible solution on the transfer market.

It´s kinda sad to see that a portion (probably a small one, though) of the United supporter don´t regard him as the legend he is. I know for sure, that I could not shut up about Reus, if he would stay as long and score like that for such a huge amount of time.
Great post, I agree with the assessment of the player and what you highlight about the perception on here. However, I get the feeling it's mainly down to this forum, I don't get the feeling that the fans at OT are really that split about him. I think overall he is regarded as a legend, it's just the nature of a message board that will lead to some arguing he's not.

psychdelicblues

I hope so i am probably one of the few who doesn't want a striker to come in this season and just stick with Rooney, Hernandez and Wilson (as long as we are playing one striker up front). I really don't want Rooney playing anywhere else on the pitch only the #9. Next season we should get a world class striker to take over from Rooney up top.
Why next season? Why not this season?

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Great post, I agree with the assessment of the player and what you highlight about the perception on here. However, I get the feeling it's mainly down to this forum, I don't get the feeling that the fans at OT are really that split about him. I think overall he is regarded as a legend, it's just the nature of a message board that will lead to some arguing he's not.
Don't think many people doubt what he's done in the "past" except he's not really done it (as in scoring a bucket load) since 2012 has he? His stats have been less and his performances even more hit and miss since then.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
For a neutral the Caf is sometimes a weird place. There are players, who will never be rated as high outside the Caf as in here(I won´t name names here in an attempt to not derail the thread) and then there is the case Wayne Rooney. I get that he is not the favourite of a lot of people on here because he dared to contemplate leaving the club, being concerned about the strength of the squad or being on massive wages, but it shouldn´t cloud the judgement of the people that much to not see what kind of blessing the player has been on the pitch for the club.

This can actually be put very clearly in numbers: Excluding last season, when Van Gaal clearly did not figure out where to play him, he had in every season since 2005a scorer/minute ratio of at least around 100. In some seasons (e.g. 2013/2014 and 2011/2012) he got as low as around 80. That basically means, that even if we include the last season Wayne Rooney has on average scored either an assist or a goal in every single game for a decade.

Several world class strikers manage to get similar numbers. Some do it for a season, some for two, very few for longer. Rooney does it for ten years, while often playing the void filler in the offensive midfield, the wing or on occasion even the central midfield.

Rooney is also more than about scoring. He is a well balanced offensive allrounder with next to no glaring weaknesses, an impressive football intelligence, a rock solid passing game (especially for a striker) and strong overall technique. On top of that he is one of the most hard working strikers around, clearly caring about the success of the team.

I honestly think that if Rooney would be playing for a different club and United would be linked with him the muppets would go overboard in his transfer thread.

I´m absolutely positive that if Rooney would finally be constantly trusted with his natural role as center forward, he could still be scoring 25+ goals per season and additionally assist half of that. And that is more than what can be said of nearly every possible solution on the transfer market.

It´s kinda sad to see that a portion (probably a small one, though) of the United supporter don´t regard him as the legend he is. I know for sure, that I could not shut up about Reus, if he would stay as long and score like that for such a huge amount of time.
Just saw this. Good post. Amazing bolded stat too - goes hand in hand with what I said earlier, even when he's off form he is still productive bagging the odd tap in or an assist.

slir32

Why next season? Why not this season?
I prefer Rooney as the #9 not in the midfield or #10 which is why i don't want a striker coming in this season, captain always starts.

Also I doubt Chicharito is in LVG long term plans so when his gone we will need a striker that will compete with and eventually take over from Rooney.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
All the opposition fans I know love his ability and desire; most United fans too.

The doubts are about his ability to play as a lone striker and be good enough for a team that wants to win trophies.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
All the opposition fans I know love his ability and desire; most United fans too.

The doubts are about his ability to play as a lone striker and be good enough for a team that wants to win trophies.
He's rated really highly in France and among my friends who follow the PL.

Mani

Keep playing him upfront and we can see what best he is.He'd carried too many responsibility in the past which had hampered his goal scoring.We are about tobe watch best of Rooney this season.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius

Brilliant post. The anti-Rooney sentiment harbored by a section of people on this forum is not only sad, it's downright apalling.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He's rated really highly in France and among my friends who follow the PL.
Nearly all the opposition fans I have talked to are envious that we have had a player like him in our ranks. He is also the most popular English player in our part of the world. Even the people who do not follow football closely have heard of Rooney.

Started randomly chit chatting with this Italian Milan fan while smoking a cigratte outside the lobby of a Delhi hotel and he was all praise for Rooney. I said United and the first thing that came out of his mouth was, "Eh, Rooney, great player".

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Nearly all the opposition fans I have talked to are envious that we have had a player like him in our ranks. He is also the most popular English player in our part of the world. Even the people who do not follow football closely have heard of Rooney.

Started randomly chit chatting with this Italian Milan fan while smoking a cigratte outside the lobby of a Delhi hotel and he was all praise for Rooney. I said United and the first thing that came out of his mouth was, "Eh, Rooney, great player".
So too here in the US. A Japanese-American friend of mine came home one day and when she saw Rooney's poster on my wall, she was like "Oh Rooney! The goals he scores are awesome. I have seen his videos. But, I'm a Chelsea fan"

In my mind, she went from being totally hot to being downright ugly in just two sentences! :lol::lol:

Hed Zitin

What do you do with Wayne Rooney? Play him up top because there isn't anyone out there better than him available by a good margin.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hoping for a big season from him. He'll always be "efficient". There's no doubt about that. His composure information of goal and endeavour will ensure that. But with his talent he can do so much more. Would be great if he could have a season of genuinely great performances. Been awhile since that happened.

It's not a transformation that's required. It's little things he's regressed at and hopefully with the help of lvg, working on. Things such as his work with his back to goal. We haven't had a striker so that really effectively since Rvp in 2012 and Rooney in 2009. That striker who just holds players off intelligently and strongly, and brings everyone into play. Or consistently taking the effective touch under pressure. Too often for a player of his standard, things get away from him.

Overall, he's still got loads to offer. But rather than just meander along with good statistics I'm hoping he's still got a few seasons of proper brilliance in him. Hopefully with a better team around him and lvg's guidance he finds it this season.

togg

Spot on. I'm constantly blowing the horn for Rooney on here, it will only be once he is gone and the stats are heralded by the experts and press that people will really understand just how much he has contributed to United for more than a decade. These types of players are so rare, we have been lucky to have him and to have retained him. I know people resented him for threatening to leave the club, but goodness, it has become a very common part of the game these days and he certainly didn't do a Sterling. At the end of the day, for such a great player in so many areas and an amazing winning mentality who is very team minded, he should be remembered above all once he finishes as giving practically all his footballing years to one club. That is some loyalty these days....

Roman Bellic

Prick

He has only done that for 2 full seasons for us and he was spectacular,Rooney is one of the few players in the world who has a new role every season, he always has to adjust...one week he is training to play at the CM position, the other as a main striker, I really can't defend his performances and stats last season, but he was still our best striker....people are overly critical of things (Rooney did last season)hthey are in the RVP thread praising RVP about, it's like Rooney is either World Class or he is a problem.

Ainu

He has only done that for 2 full seasons for us and he was spectacular,Rooney is one of the few players in the world who has a new role every season, he always has to adjust...one week he is training to play at the CM position, the other as a main striker, I really can't defend his performances and stats last season, but he was still our best striker....people are overly critical of things (Rooney did last season)hthey are in the RVP thread praising RVP about, it's like Rooney is either World Class or he is a problem.
Some boring cnut will turn up and claim that the fact we didn't win the league those 2 seasons is evidence he can't play that role effectively. I for one can't wait to see him play there week in week out. A well rested Rooney with a good pre-season behind him in a clearly defined position could be invaluable to us.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
If he stops that silent domination shit (i.e. playing shit), maybe he would score a few more goals. He was unspectacular when actually given a run in the team as a striker. He's perhaps better than Van Persie there but the difference in quality is marginal. If I'm being honest, I'd rather see Van Persie run out his contract here. He gives us another option if Rooney's playing crap, and with better players around him, I expect him to improve.