What would be the most worthy ‘double’ ?

Varun

Staff
If there is a year to win the CL then it's this one. No side looks too strong...PSG loses against off-form Real, Barca can always struggle in the defense, bayern is meh.
That's the beauty of the tournament though, the Real that turn up for the CL KO stages are a different beast altogether. Regardless of their form, you know Barca, Bayern etc will come all guns blazing in the KO stages too. The glory/satisfaction/thrill of beating these top teams from all over Europe is on a higher level to winning a league campaign imo. Nothing sends shivers down the spine and has you a nervous wreck when the CL anthem is on as your side prepares to play the CL final.

wolvored

When Madrid won the CL in both 2014 and 2016, they weren't the league winners, however they got all the credit, x10 more than anything Barcelona got these 2 seasons.

CL are always more prestigious than any league title, even so I can agree on winning the league somewhat harder and needs more consistency, it's the pinnacle of football. They took most of the credit by the end of the season and rightly so.

We used to have a very competitive league in England and used to dominate it under SAF so we always favored the league more than CL, but CL is far more prestigious Imo.
When we won the treble we wasnt champions the year before either

wolvored

Dont think we will win the Ch League but got a good chance of the FA cup I think. I would take Ch League and FA cup for a season or two as we are poor in the one (for being one of the biggest clubs in the world) and 2 FA cups would mean we had won it the most times.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I always find winning your domestic league the bread and butter. I hold Bayern and Juve in higher regard than I do Real Madrid.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The league.

Real (apart from last year) gets too much credit for their recent CL trophies. Barcelona were the better team in 2 of those 3 years. It's just about getting the lucky draw and doing enough to make it over the line. Paired with a league title? Excellent. Without one? Hyped by this new generation, but a bit hollow all the same.

They really need to kick non-champions out the CL. Keep the league runners up at best.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
The league.

Real (apart from last year) gets too much credit for their recent CL trophies. Barcelona were the better team in 2 of those 3 years. It's just about getting the lucky draw and doing enough to make it over the line. Paired with a league title? Excellent. Without one? Hyped by this new generation, but a bit hollow all the same.

They really need to kick non-champions out the CL. Keep the league runners up at best.
Haha, that is simply never going to happen.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
I always find winning your domestic league the bread and butter. I hold Bayern and Juve in higher regard than I do Real Madrid.

But why?
Real Madrid has won the most number of league titles(joint with Juve, 33) in the top 5 leagues, has won more main domestic cups than both Juve and Munich, while being miles of ahead of anyone in UCL.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
CL > PL although in some cases like Liverpool right now PL probably means more than a CL. And FA cup is clearly better than a league cup

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For me it's near impossible to call any team that don't win their domestic league but win CL as the best in Europe. It's like Liverpool 2005 or Chelsea 2012 or 13, how can they be best in Europe when they are not even the best in their domestic league, in these 2 cases they were not even in top 4.

But considering our position I don't give a shit about being called as best in Europe if we fluke CL. Would love to see our team lift the big cup again, it's been 10 years since we won our last one.

For me it's near impossible to call any team that don't win their domestic league but win CL as the best in Europe. It's like Liverpool 2005 or Chelsea 2012 or 13, how can they be best in Europe when they are not even the best in their domestic league, in these 2 cases they were not even in top 4.
Really @roonster09 ? So when you think back to Real's 2002 win and that Zidane goal, you also think "well yeah, that's nice but Valencia were better than them that season."?

roonster09

Scout
Really @roonster09 ? So when you think back to Real's 2002 win and that Zidane goal, you also think "well yeah, that's nice but Valencia were better than them that season."?
Why not, over the 38 league games Valencia proved to be better than Madrid.

So you thought Chelsea and Liverpool were the best in Europe when they won CL or Liverpool were second best in 2007 when ManUtd were so good winning league playing great football?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Winning the league is hard.

The prestige for me is always when a double involves the league title. Without that, it’s a little bit empty.

I find it weird that the champions of Europe may have got into the CL without winning their league in the previous season, and also not win in the current season.

Why not, over the 38 league games Valencia proved to be better than Madrid.
Bullshit, you, like everyone else have almost certainly forgotten that Valencia won the league that year, just like you forget Juve won Serie A the following season when Pirlo, Seedorf and co. were lifting the Champions League. That Zidane goal gets replayed again and again whereas Valencia's league win is long forgotten by 99% of neutral fans.

Last edited:

Dyslexic Untied

The league for me right now at least. It is just so important that we manage to get a league victory again post SAF. The CL is always a bonus.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
There is like a 2% chance of us winning the CL. Why are we even discussing this?
I proper laugh at people suggesting it. We are no way near the level needed to win this. Yes teams have won it before that weren't the best, but this isn't the rule, it is the odd exception.

AidanMUFC

So, as unbiased as you can be, which double do you think would carry the most kudos this season (or any season for that matter)....City winning the PL and League Cup or us winning the CL and FA Cup ?

Both are still very much on !!!
Being BIASED here I would say the FA Cup and Champions League.

Simply because that's the team we support and I love seen United win trophies!

adexkola

Supports
But why?
Real Madrid has won the most number of league titles(joint with Juve, 33) in the top 5 leagues, has won more main domestic cups than both Juve and Munich, while being miles of ahead of anyone in UCL.
I think he's referring to accomplishments in recent years (5-10).

The CL wins are like gold paint IMO.

adexkola

Supports
Bullshit, you, like everyone have almost certainly forgotten that Valencia won the league that year, just like you forget Juve won Serie A the following season when Pirlo, Seedorf and co. were lifting the Champions League. That Zidane goal gets replayed again and again whereas Valencia's league win is long forgotten by 99% of neutral fans.
Then 99% of neutral fans are ignorant. Read a book, do your research. The ignorance of the masses shouldn't be the standard for determining what's relevant.

Liverpool has Istanbul, but anyone knowledgeable knows that Chelsea we're the better side that year. By far. And so on.

Rista

And probably rightly so, given that the English league is generally more competive than the continental leagues.
More competitive doesn't mean better. How can the league be a better judge of a team's ability when you only get to play against clubs from one single country? Perhaps "more consistent at beating weaker teams" would be more appropriate. Absolutely no one aside from a few forum members cares about CL winners not winning their league as well. If we were to win the CL, nobody aside from City fans would think it's less of an achievement than winning the league.

Then 99% of neutral fans are ignorant. Read a book, do your research. The ignorance of the masses shouldn't be the standard for determining what's relevant.
Read a book? What book, Old Moore's Almanac :lol:

The point is, that Zidane goal and final is etched into every single football fan's memory, it's worth a shit load more than Valencia's domestic title*, whether you like it or not.

*except for Valencia fans of course.

adexkola

Supports
Read a book? What book, Old Moore's Almanac :lol:

The point is, that Zidane goal and final is etched into every single football fan's memory, it's worth a shit load more than Valencia's domestic title, whether you like it or not.
Next you'll tell me Liverpool's CL victory was worth more than any of our league titles in non double years because "people remember it more". Nice work genius.

Next you'll tell me Liverpool's CL victory was worth more than any of our league titles in non double years because "people remember it more". Nice work genius.
Yeah I will, sadly it is and fecking annoyingly is replayed again and again on Champions League shows, best comebacks etc etc. It's a massive massive moment in football.

It's worth more than United's 1996-97 league title* for sure "genius".

*that league title is long forgotten for the masses, and even for a huge section of our own fanbase. Liverpool's night in Istanbul never will be.

Revan

Assumptionman
Anyway, this thread would be flipped if we were miles ahead in the league. Nothing new to see.
That's a bit of nonsense considering that City has much more chance to win UCL than us to do so.

Only United fans claim to like a league win over an UCL league. An inferiority complex - considering that our greatest rival has more European trophies than us - same as 'the biggest club in the world' bullshit. In the eyes of absolute majority of fans, players and coaches, the league and UCL aren't even in the same level.

Fergie who used to say that he likes league more yadda yadda, the moment he started cracking UCL, he was playing weaker teams in the league (even if they were title deciding clashes) in order to prepare the team better for UCL.

That's a bit of nonsense considering that City has much more chance to win UCL than us to do so.

Only United fans claim to like a league win over an UCL league
. An inferiority complex - considering that our greatest rival has more European trophies than us - same as 'the biggest club in the world' bullshit. In the eyes of absolute majority of fans, players and coaches, the league and UCL aren't even in the same level.

Fergie who used to say that he likes league more yadda yadda, the moment he started cracking UCL, he was playing weaker teams in the league (even if they were title deciding clashes) in order to prepare the team better for UCL.
Agreed.

Does @adexkola think our 1968 EC win is less worthy because City won the league? Does he feck.

I used to peddle that shit too so I know where these fans are coming from, but sometime after our two CL final loses to Barca I started to get so frustrated at how shit our CL record is compared to the other big European clubs. Bollocks is the league worth more, undoubtedly the biggest nights in United's history are '68, '99 and ´08, added to our '92 league win against Blackburn (I was in the stretty too that day :) ).

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Seriously?
You think blocking teams such as Real Madrid, Manchester United, Manchester City & PSG and replace them with the champions of Albania, Latvia and The Faroe Islands somehow makes the Champions League better, more competitive and valid?

overrated 92's

Champions League > Premier League > Europa League > FA Cup > League Cup
That is a very European way to look at it, I can't speak for younger fans than myself, but the league is still #1, although we need more CL's to our honours list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Revan

Assumptionman
Agreed.

Does @adexkola think our 1968 EC win is less worthy because City won the league? Does he feck.

I used to peddle that shit too so I know where these fans are coming from, but sometime after our two CL final loses to Barca I started to get so frustrated at how shit our CL record is compared to the other big European clubs. Bollocks is the league worth more, undoubtedly the biggest nights in United's history are '68, '99 and ´08, added to our '92 league win against Blackburn (I was in the stretty too that day :) ).
Most of United fans don't know that, and the rest don't care.
Seriously?
You think blocking teams such as Real Madrid, Manchester United, Manchester City & PSG and replace them with the champions of Albania, Latvia and The Faroe Islands somehow makes the Champions League better, more competitive and valid?
Apparently giving stupid opinions is cool nowadays. The idea of throwing non champions out of EPL should actually be in contention for worst post of the year. One single line of true madness.

Cloud7

CL + FA Cup. Champions league is head and shoulders above any other club trophy for me.

roonster09

Scout
Bullshit, you, like everyone else have almost certainly forgotten that Valencia won the league that year, just like you forget Juve won Serie A the following season when Pirlo, Seedorf and co. were lifting the Champions League. That Zidane goal gets replayed again and again whereas Valencia's league win is long forgotten by 99% of neutral fans.
:lol::houllier:

So you are going about what is more memorable now?

You didn't answer the question.