Television What's been the best TV show of the decade?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I know the OP put his criteria but I think it should be shows that solely aired in this decade. In which case, The Leftovers is a clean sweep for that criteria.
Yeah that probably makes more sense. But majority of Breaking Bad/Mad Men episodes aired in this decade.

AaronRedDevil

Besides the last season. Game of thrones is most likely the best TV show ever. It's simply too big for any show to beat it. But my other picks are

Mad Men
The Walking dead
Peaky blinders
Billions
Boardwalk empire
Breaking bad
Vikings
Stranger things
Dr Who
Black Mirror

Last edited:

James_42

Surprised to see Mr Robot not mentioned a single time, although I found season 2 not as good initially, I think a rewatch will be very good since the revelations about Elliot in season 4.

This final season has been absolutely amazing, can't think of a single bad episode so far.

I know there haven't been many seasons but Succession has been awesome, and along with Mr Robot it has been my favourite thing to watch on tv this year.

With that said I would probably have to go with Breaking Bad as my favourite show of the decade, based on how many times I've rewatched it and still get chills even after knowing what is going to happen in each episode.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Spartacus

"That shit feck! Beckons me to the city only to spurn me like a thin wasted whore. Once again the gods spread the cheeks and ram cock in fecking ass!" - Batiatus

Castia

My Top 3:

Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Chernobyl

Shout out to South Park too, coming up to season 24 and it still brilliant.

evil_geko

I will not mention the obvious ones that everyone mentions, I will only mention the most underrated one, Black Sails, while Season 1 is mediocre, everything after that is brilliant writing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
No more love for Sharp Objects? :(

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I mean, it was .. good, but not a patch on other mini series mentioned here like Chernobyl, When They See Us, and the first season of True Detective

Personally I found it incredibly slow throughout, though the payoff in the final episode was arguably worth the overall journey.

Stevondo8

I know the OP put his criteria but I think it should be shows that solely aired in this decade. In which case, The Leftovers is a clean sweep for that criteria.
Richard Osman ran a twitter poll - World Cup of the decade thing for tv shows that we’re new for this decade. 4 groups of 4, came down to game of thrones vs Sherlock in the final. Result to be announced along with various other categories in a show on channel 4 over Christmas in one of those review of the decade panel show type things.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I mean, it was .. good, but not a patch on other mini series mentioned here like Chernobyl, When They See Us, and the first season of True Detective

Personally I found it incredibly slow throughout, though the payoff in the final episode was arguably worth the overall journey.
Chernobyl was great - I just wish I hadn't read so much about the event beforehand, as this lessened the series' impact a little.

True Detective S1: Probably my favourite of the decade. The interest generated from the actual mystery/crime at its centre is peripheral to the study of the characters & personalities; and that, IMO, is telling. It's revealing that few of the characters ever spoke of getting justice for the murdered women.

Sharp Objects: I loved the series all-round, really, but the sheer horror - and furious hate - of the reveal chills me to the bone. The memory of it has stayed with me.

Member 39557

Richard Osman ran a twitter poll - World Cup of the decade thing for tv shows that we’re new for this decade. 4 groups of 4, came down to game of thrones vs Sherlock in the final. Result to be announced along with various other categories in a show on channel 4 over Christmas in one of those review of the decade panel show type things.
Sherlock's 1st series was great. After that it got gradually worse until it became truly awful at the end.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sherlock's 1st series was great. After that it got gradually worse until it became truly awful at the end.
Forgot about Sherlock - you are right about the decline in the series but for me the first couple of series were up there with the very best tv I've ever watched.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Only one correct answer: Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Set cock to purpose or see it removed from this world. Or something.

Also:
The Expanse
Game of Thrones (first 6 seasons)
Peaky Blinders
House of Cards (first 2 seasons)

And hopefully The Witcher will be great.

baskinginthesun

Brilliant show. I loved the ending.

There has been some good shows out there. For me, Black Mirror, Parks and Rec, Breaking Bad and Shameless (US version) are at the top of my list.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Planet Earth 2
Frozen Planet 2
Life
Our Planet
Black Mirror
IASIP

The Boys has had a great first season, but then so did GoT and Stranger Things and they went downhill IMO, so it's too early to call perhaps.

Sylar

Game of Thrones had more great seasons than any other show this decade, imo, even with the limp to the end.
And thats not even taking into consideration how it crossed over into the force it became.

Only one correct answer: Spartacus: Blood and Sand
Jupiters Cock.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
Detectorists (maybe my pick for very best)
Derry Girls
Toast of London
Game of Thrones (especially until Tyrion’s escape)
Downton Abbey
Veep
Would I Lie to You?
8 Out of 10 Cats does Countdown
Mock the Week
The IT Crowd, even though it’s become harder to watch with Graham Linehan playing the fool on Twitter.

There are some very good comedies out there (P&R, IASIP for example), but I don't think you can put up a 20 minute plot comedy up against a 45-60 minute drama show. If done proper the latter is just infinitely more complex, challenging and engaging.
I haven’t got very far in any straight drama apart from GoT and DA. I must try Breaking Bad someday.

I find it hard to get involved in dramas, since too often they just carry on until they’ve bored away enough of their audience to not be profitable anymore and you seldom know at the start.

Stringer

True Detective season 1 is probably my favourite single season of television released this decade. However, taking into account the entire show, my list would be:

Mad Men
Hannibal
The Leftovers
Breaking Bad
The Deuce
Spartacus
Chernobyl

Best comedies would include Rick and Morty, Fleabag and Community.