Where are the United incomings?

ur2cdanger

I beg to differ to most of the people here. Our squad was way big. It is difficult to coach a big side while satisfying playing time for everyone. By getting rid of numbers, it would be easier to manage the team. I would have preferred a central midfielder but I would rather play Jones in CM than sign someone average. With good playing time for Rashford, Lingard, Sancho on the wings with Elanga, and Edinson and Ronaldo for strikers, there is a good chance to develop good chemistry. I personally think we would be much better the second half of the season that the first.

OldRed1

I really don't understand whether the posters who say everything is fine and going exactly as planned , really put that for the sake of posting or really believe that the club will buy 5-6 players in key positions in one summer or some other poster was saying not buying anyone this window means we have a "huuuuge" kitty for summer, as if the club is some kind of bank and funds are deposited before every window.
It's obvious from some of the posts on here that we are destined for the championship with every other premiership team signing new players.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We haven't won a trophy in 5 years mate. Welcome to the real world.
My point was to rebuild. Write the season off in order to justify blooding younger players. If we win the cup, great - we should have it in us to win another 3 or 4 matches in that competition. If we don't, but have blooded young players, then we'll have taken a step forward for next season.

Caesar2290

And what if we get a few injuries and don’t make 4th? Then our summer players won’t even come unless we overpay them. Which is how we got into this huge mess in the first place. I think 4th was worth throwing 10m at for Kamara or 3m for Zakaria.
It's part of football. We had great sides who were denied tittles because of injuries. As I mentioned, we have 6 players for 3 positions. Usually 2 players per position is more than enough.

And how is Kamara and Zakaria better than the current options we have? You assume they will be a Bruno type signing. What if they turn into a Sancho, Fred, or even an Evra or Vidic type signing where they need 6 months to learn the new league. Then they become useless.

As things stand we have a squad to finish Top 4. Ralf seems to be doing a good enough job so far. The reason it seems we are so far off, is that Ole decided to leave us with a Derby like handicap.

Caesar2290

I really don't understand whether the posters who say everything is fine and going exactly as planned , really put that for the sake of posting or really believe that the club will buy 5-6 players in key positions in one summer or some other poster was saying not buying anyone this window means we have a "huuuuge" kitty for summer, as if the club is some kind of bank and funds are deposited before every window.
We don't need 5-6 key players. We just need 2: a DM and a CF.

As for not being able to sign a lot of players in 1 window: last summer we signed Sancho, Varane, Ronaldo and Heaton. In 2014 we signed Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera(a very complicated transfer) and Shaw. It's clearly our club knows how to sign players.

Now that Woody is out and Mortough and Ragnick have more power, we should see an improvement in this department.

Telsim

Good move not signing anyone, saved a lot of money on wages and transfers. We have the squad to challenge 4th place. With good coaching and a bit of luck we will get it. However, now the expectation is we go big in the summer. We will see what happens then.

Frank Grimes

My point was to rebuild. Write the season off in order to justify blooding younger players. If we win the cup, great - we should have it in us to win another 3 or 4 matches in that competition. If we don't, but have blooded young players, then we'll have taken a step forward for next season.
Too much still to play for, cant afford to be 'blooding kids'.

Seems like the Glazers have successfully lowered expectations amongst fans now.

People happy we didn’t sign anyone when our club is in the mud and the Glazers took dividend in the January transfer window rather than buy anyone.

Real Name

What kids are we blooding in anyway?

We trimmed the squad if anything and its a start. Sure it could have been better if we signed someone too but I guess we'll do that in the summer. And contrary to popular belief we dont need to go big.

Gordon Godot

We trimmed the squad if anything and its a start. Sure it could have been better if we signed someone too but I guess we'll do that in the summer. And contrary to popular belief we dont need to go big anyway.
Glazers and the incompetent football structure doing what they do. Seems we are happy to give up on top 4, not back Ralf with an effective midfield recruit (which rather undermines the idea that his consulting role is real and meaningful) and then in summer if not in top 4 we wont sanction big spending either. We know we have leaking moaners like Lingard and Henderson yet we keep them, Lingard just about understandable given that Greenwood unlikely to ever play for the club again, but we keep yet another player we dont ever play.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

We trimmed the squad if anything and its a start. Sure it could have been better if we signed someone too but I guess we'll do that in the summer. And contrary to popular belief we dont need to go big.
Elanga has already been in he starting 11 a few times - how about Mejbri too for example? There must be another 1 or 2 who could be brought in.

Real Name

Elanga has already been in he starting 11 a few times - how about Mejbri too for example? There must be another 1 or 2 who could be brought in.
2 players, that's not so bad. On the contrary. Its not as if we'll play with a whole squad of youngsters.

justsomebloke

It's part of football. We had great sides who were denied tittles because of injuries. As I mentioned, we have 6 players for 3 positions. Usually 2 players per position is more than enough.

And how is Kamara and Zakaria better than the current options we have? You assume they will be a Bruno type signing. What if they turn into a Sancho, Fred, or even an Evra or Vidic type signing where they need 6 months to learn the new league. Then they become useless.

As things stand we have a squad to finish Top 4. Ralf seems to be doing a good enough job so far. The reason it seems we are so far off, is that Ole decided to leave us with a Derby like handicap.
Yes, but we don't have 2 players per position - not players one could feel confident about giving regular roles, anyway. You can believe as much as you like that Hannibal Mejbri is 1st team cover, but the fact is he has practically zero PL experience, and has not played a single minute of competitive senior level club football this year. Maybe they'll bring him up and maybe he'll do well, but that isn't something anyone has good reason to count on at this point. Pogba's return will ease the situation in midfield, provided he's prepared to give it his best shot, and 5 players for three spots is adequate. But there's not much room for injuries.

A bigger problem is the two flank positions however, where we now essentially have Rashford, Elanga and Sancho. Three players for two slots. Surely no one is assuming that we can or should rely on Lingard for regular game-time - this is a player who was desperate to move in the window that just ended, and where both club and player have been actively burning bridges over the past couple of weeks. And Mata is simply past it. There is no one else, other than playing full backs up front or bringing up further youngsters from the U23. Put an injury or two into that mix, and we're not merely scraping the floor - we're actively exploring the basement. Even without injuries, the demands of the schedule will put pressure on that.

I'm not criticising the exits - they all make sense, and the net effect is to remove several centres of disaffection from the squad. But what we're left with is worryingly thin in a couple of key areas. It's really Greenwood's disappearance that has left the biggest hole. But I suppose it was not realistic that they'd address that, given how close to the deadline it happened and also that they can't really be certain at this stage what the outcome of his case will be.

Several competitors have added some real quality during the window (though thankfully neither Arsenal or West Ham got what they were looking for). The hope for us now is that a slimmed-down squad with malcontents purged will continue to snap into focus, build on the last two games and gel as a group around that. And that we get lucky on the injury front.

Ixion

We actually have United fans now saying "our squad isn't short at all we can play Mata on the wing and Jones in midfield if we need to". I look forward to the game we start Mata, Cavani, Ronaldo, Jones and Matic.

We need far more than 2 players, we're miles behind City. Why do people still think we have some title winning squad??

ForeverRed1

Why would they want to add players into this toxic environment. Imagine being a new player at united and coming into this mess.

Get the house in order first. Get rid of the toxic/not good enough players and replace with hungry, hard working players who want to play for the shirt.

Pughnichi

Wow. Squad trimmed then. I buy into in. A large group is harder to coach/implement new ideas.

Not questioning ability but DVB was becoming a circus. The attention every game re how many minutes he played. Distraction removed.

Martial appeared to have zero fight and won’t be missed.

Amad, whilst lauded as a real talent hasn’t played and won’t be missed.

What RR desperately needs is Rashford back on form and Pogba to return from injury.

Defence has been steadily improving. He said that was priority number one. Hopefully he can start to address issues further up the field

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I can’t believe we haven’t brought in at least one player. Also I know the club wasn’t to blame for the Greenwood mess but we really should have reacted and brought someone else in even on loan. He’s been our best RW this season and now we are left with an underperforming Sancho who is clearly struggling to adapt and Rashford who’s form has been nothing short of shocking. I really hope one/or both of them can get going soon because we are going to need them massively.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Wow. Squad trimmed then. I buy into in. A large group is harder to coach/implement new ideas.

Not questioning ability but DVB was becoming a circus. The attention every game re how many minutes he played. Distraction removed.

Martial appeared to have zero fight and won’t be missed.

Amad, whilst lauded as a real talent hasn’t played and won’t be missed.

What RR desperately needs is Rashford back on form and Pogba to return from injury.

Defence has been steadily improving. He said that was priority number one. Hopefully he can start to address issues further up the field
So your response to a talented player who is not playing is to label him a ‘distraction’ and remove him from the club?! Sorry but that’s ever so slightly harsh. Sounds like you have decided to be supportive of the manager almost regardless of what they do:

justsomebloke

As for not being able to sign a lot of players in 1 window: last summer we signed Sancho, Varane, Ronaldo and Heaton. In 2014 we signed Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera(a very complicated transfer) and Shaw. It's clearly our club knows how to sign players.

Now that Woody is out and Mortough and Ragnick have more power, we should see an improvement in this department.
If only. But we will need at least two, not one, midfielder because we a) need an upgrade in the no 6 role, b) will have two players to replace if both Pogba and Donny leave and c) we're shifting to a three-man midfield. Bruno, new guy, Fred and McTominay is not enough to cover 3 slots, and if there's just a 5th guy and not a 6th in addition, that should not be Matic.

In the forward three, assuming Cavani, Martial and Greenwood are gone, we are threadbare. One striker - Ronaldo - , and otherwise Rashford, Sancho, Elanga and Amad. You need at least one, and preferably two, players brought in there.

And then, barring a dramatic improvement by AWB or Dalot over the remainder of the season, we need a viable first XI Right Back. I don't think that is in question anymore.

So, we are certainly looking at five players. Of whom at least 3 need to be first XI calibre. Which is unlikely to happen in a single window.

Banana Republic

Incoming?
D’Mani Mellor has just returned from his loan spell at Salford.

We haven’t actually sold anybody, except James at the beginning of this campaign.
Martial, DVB, Tuenzebe & Pereira will all be returning at the end of the season, as will youngsters out on loan, Diallo, Garner, Pellistri, Williams, Galbraith, Mengi, Laird & Chong

Mata, Grant, Bailly, Cavani, Lingard & Pogba will all be out of contract in 4 months time and most of them certain to leave.

Matic, Jones, Shaw, Dalot & Fred have one year left on their contracts.

We will have to sell some players, arrange further loan spells for others and renegotiate new contracts for a few.
How capable are our management team of handling that lot and being able to bid and negotiate for more than a couple of new players in the summer?

Last edited:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Incoming?
D’Mani Mellor has just returned from his loan spell at Salford.

We haven’t actually sold anybody, except James at the beginning of this campaign.
Martial, DVB, Tuenzebe & Pereira will all be returning at the end of the season, as will youngsters, Diallo, Garner, Pellistri, Williams, Galbraith, Mengi, Laird & Chong

Mata, Grant, Bailly, Cavani, Lingard & Pogba will all be out of contract in 4 months time and most of them certain to leave.

Matic, Jones, Shaw, Dalot & Fred have one year left on their contracts.

Sorry, but i’m doing a bit of a snigger at the players you class as incoming!

wolvored

Glazers and the incompetent football structure doing what they do. Seems we are happy to give up on top 4, not back Ralf with an effective midfield recruit (which rather undermines the idea that his consulting role is real and meaningful) and then in summer if not in top 4 we wont sanction big spending either. We know we have leaking moaners like Lingard and Henderson yet we keep them, Lingard just about understandable given that Greenwood unlikely to ever play for the club again, but we keep yet another player we dont ever play.
Think you have it backwards. They usually sanction big spending if not in top 4. However that was under Woodward and he's gone. Maybe a different outcome this time

Banana Republic

Sorry, but i’m doing a bit of a snigger at the players you class as incoming!
I wasn’t suggesting anything, for or against.
Just appraising the comings and likely goings of the existing squad.

That’s an awful lot of selling and maybe further loan deals to negotiate, as well as possible contract extensions.
How many new players will need to be brought in and will they be able to do all those deals on top of managing the existing roster of to’ings and fro‘ings?

Last edited:

Oranges038

True. And based on previous experience, how successful do you think this board will be at negotiating and buying said 5 major players plus a manager?
Not very.

The squad is a bloated mess, there's too many players in there who just don't cut the mustard, others who are just finished. It won't be resolved in one window, doesn't matter who the manager is.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the club splash 100m+ on Rice and leave it at that.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I’m glad with didn’t buy anyone.

leave the funds for the next manager. Any panic buy could potentially of been another lump of wood for the incoming manager to deal with.

julianfr

Gee wiz...this place! Relax people. It's the January transfer window. So we didn't bring anyone in. No biggie.

We've moved some off on loan who will either get better with actual game time or stay crap and get sold. Either way win for us.

As for buying, when was January ever a good time to get anyone? Bruno being the exception of course. If this was the summer window I'd be as furious as everyone else but I actually think we still have a decent squad who can get us over the line to 4th.

Let's focus on finishing on a high and then b!tch only IF we manage to f**k up the summer transfer window (which is something this club is more than capable of doing)

BigRon1985

We've trimmed the excess fat - now we should be a mean, lean fighting machine for the rest of the season! :cool:

Hughes35

Surely this means the new manager (or Ralf if it's him) will be given a proper warchest backing in the summer ?

The squad needed thinning out and I'm happy with most of the players that have left. Cavani, Mata and Lingard will also go this summer, along with possibly Jones or Bailly. That's a huge (much needed) clearout.

We will desperately need a striker, RW and a minimum of one CM/CDM.

Next summer is absolutely massive. Get it right and it's a proper reset for the club and squad...... get it wrong and we may not make top 4 next year and our spell in the wilderness continues.

Polar

I’m glad with didn’t buy anyone.
Agree. Counterproductive to bring new players into the existing squad mess or chaos. We have to sort certain things out first., among other things get rid of many players.

Many players will leave this summer (hip hip hooray:drool:) and United by then has decided the new manager. Coming summer is the perfect moment for new signings. I expect two mega signings and a couple of more signings for the future:)

Ixion

There are fans that will insist we can challenge for the title as long as we field 11 players with a pulse. The Glazers make a big signing every few years and they'll never demand more.

Our squad is so far behind City's and some fans still don't see it and think signing a midfielder is all we need.

Last edited:

Corwin

The squad needed thinning out and I'm happy with most of the players that have left.
It would be great but unfortunately it's only loans and all of them will return in the summer leaving us with the same problem.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I wasn’t suggesting anything, for or against.
Just appraising the comings and likely goings of the existing squad.

That’s an awful lot of selling and maybe further loan deals to negotiate, as well as possible contract extensions.
How many new players will need to be brought in and will they be able to do all those deals on top of managing the existing roster of to’ings and fro‘ings?
You’re absolutely right and reasonable, I wasn’t trying to denigrate, I just thought t was funny, that’s all.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I just don't understand why we gamble so much for the cost of so relatively little. We don't need superstar, functional players (well we do, but that could've waited), but we could have bolstered the midfield with bodies that afforded rest and rotation and enabled us to cope with a heavy fixture list and any eventuality with injuries.

If our midfield is so low on the totem as is believed, getting equivalent level talent in to at least offer balance and options, would not have been difficult.

Another benefit of a loan is the player is going to try he is absolute best to impress in pursuit of a potential contract or at the least to put himself in the shop window for other suitors. Even if that player doesn't work out or contribute much, it's not any great issue because he just gets sent back to his club.

I can understand not spending significant amounts on permanent signings for so many reasons that could be outlined, but not getting a loan or two in in an area with clear and apparent vulnerability and susceptibility (Fred or McTominay go down injured or have a serious loss of form, and we're practically done for) is downright negligent with potentially £100's of millions at stake should we not make the CL next season.

I don't think I emote about the things the club does anymore, but I certainly feel as though I'm resigned to us fecking up and then being absolutely compromised in what will already be a tumultuous summer.

I sincerely hope Ralf can prove me wrong and that we make the CL with Hannibal and whoever else who comes into the squad from now being shining lights. But, should anything happen to our 'key' midfielders now, it will be farcical if that leads to us capitulating and missing out on qualification.