Where do you expect us to finish this season?

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Martinez is getting the best out of an inferior Everton team, Pochettino is getting the best out of an inferior Southampton team both of whom are playing a better brand of football than us. Moyes currently isn't getting this team to play to its potential for whatever reason and he will be given time to do so. People act like the team is shit and we need to throw money at it and overhaul it. This team is good enough imo.

The team as a whole is better than the current league position yes, but I think last season strikers bailed you out where midfield and defence failed and now without the same resolve and firepower every game the rest of the side is shown up. Players like Smalling, Rafael, and Evans, are still good players , but are not at the highest level, and not as great as touted at times.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
I think if we fell out of the Top 4, van Persie and Rooney would leave right away... That would make it very difficult, as finding players of that quality to get our goals would be a tremendous task (we could still even lose both of those players this season/end of the season if rumours are true no matter our position).

I do think we'll finish in at least the Top 4 still, though. We still have the squad to compete on all fronts, but Moyes may be able to put together some January buys considering how much ground we need to make up for a title challenge. On current form, I'd say Man City will win it, but that could all change if they don't keep picking up results away from home. We need to sort everything out though!
Where would RVP go if he left? His wages are huge and not many clubs would take a chance on him given his age...he IS a striker and not exactly getting younger.

Untied

Martinez is getting the best out of an inferior Everton team, Pochettino is getting the best out of an inferior Southampton team both of whom are playing a better brand of football than us. Moyes currently isn't getting this team to play to its potential for whatever reason and he will be given time to do so. People act like the team is shit and we need to throw money at it and overhaul it. This team is good enough imo.
This comparison of Moyes to Martinez has come up quite a lot recently, in particular that he has made Everton more attacking/attractive (this may be true, to be honest I do not watch enough of Everton to compare them in this year's fixtures to last year's equivalents). Anyway I had a bit of a trawl through the results from last year, comparing the equivalent fixtures (instead of just taking the first 14 games, its United away this year and last year, etc. I substituted relegated sides for promoted ones):

Everton this season:

7 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss. 27 points.

For 22, Against 13. Goal difference 9.

They have failed to score 4 times but have kept 8 clean sheets.

Everton last season for the equivalent fixtures:

6 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses. 23 points

For 23, Against 19. Goal Difference 4.

They failed to score just once, but also only managed 1 clean sheet.

This suggests Martinez has improved them defensively rather than nurtured a more potent attack. Anyway feel free to dismiss this as an entirely pointless exercise. I thought it was at least vaguely interesting.

binary bot
Could be a case of Everton's better attack negating the opposition's attacking threat; something we could pick up on. Although they were very good defensively on Wednesday.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This comparison of Moyes to Martinez has come up quite a lot recently, in particular that he has made Everton more attacking/attractive (this may be true, to be honest I do not watch enough of Everton to compare them in this year's fixtures to last year's equivalents). Anyway I had a bit of a trawl through the results from last year, comparing the equivalent fixtures (instead of just taking the first 14 games, its United away this year and last year, etc. I substituted relegated sides for promoted ones):

Everton this season:

7 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss. 27 points.

For 22, Against 13. Goal difference 9.

They have failed to score 4 times but have kept 8 clean sheets.

Everton last season for the equivalent fixtures:

6 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses. 23 points

For 23, Against 19. Goal Difference 4.

They failed to score just once, but also only managed 1 clean sheet.

This suggests Martinez has improved them defensively rather than nurtured a more potent attack. Anyway feel free to dismiss this as an entirely pointless exercise. I thought it was at least vaguely interesting.

You make a good comparison with the stats but I think when the brand of football is mentioned, goals scored and conceded aren't taken into account that much. The point a lot of people are making is that Everton and Southampton are currently more enjoyable. I realize that the number of goal scored plays a significant role in that but it is what it is.

Amir

You make a good comparison with the stats but I think when the brand of football is mentioned, goals scored and conceded aren't taken into account that much. The point a lot of people are making is that Everton and Southampton are currently more enjoyable. I realize that the number of goal scored plays a significant role in that but it is what it is.
Enjoyable or not, they are at least playing a defined style. They know what they want to do an do that. Southampton, until their three recent defeats, weren't free scoring and their strength was actually in conceding very few goals. Our football isn't defensive or boring. It's just not good or clever, based on what individuals can create and mostly crosses - most of which end up with nothing.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I am not for one second saying we will or even can win in Europe but I have just had this feeling, probably from the first Bayer game at Old Trafford that we are going to finish 4th or lower but win the Champions League. It would be typical. I think we are able to use Kagawa better in Europe and it shows.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Realistically I have to sadly say that we will finish at least 4th place and at best, 3rd place. We need a minor miracle to win it. Not impossible though.

Anduin

Funny thing is that last season Everton seemed to play their best football under Moyes, it was quite enjoyable. We aren't even close to this brand of football at the moment, but contrary to popular belief I think Moyes has it in him to get his team play decent football.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Where were the condescendent Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime who scoffed at people suggesting we wouldn't get top 4?

Seems like muppets are oftentimes right, but because of their 'radical' opinion in TOP RED eyes, they will get dismissed but you will not hear a thing when it turns out the muppets were correct.

Mongppets seem to reason based on facts whereas TOP REDS seem to reason based on "WE ARE MANCHESTER UNITED" arrogance... heh...

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Realistically I have to sadly say that we will finish at least 4th place and at best, 3rd place. We need a minor miracle to win it. Not impossible though.
Posted this in the match thread.
If we win every single game until the end of the season, the maximum points would be 87. At best out of the remaining 22 games we win 16 draw 3 and lose 3. That gives us 72 points. That is boarder line champions league. It's safe to say that I'm worried.
Arsenal had 73 points in 4th last year.

Eirik Raude

I think it is crucial for Moyes to finish top 4 this season. Will be a real struggle to get back next season without Champions League football. Sadly, I think we'll finish just outside the top 4.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I am not for one second saying we will or even can win in Europe but I have just had this feeling, probably from the first Bayer game at Old Trafford that we are going to finish 4th or lower but win the Champions League. It would be typical. I think we are able to use Kagawa better in Europe and it shows.

I have hoped that we do a Chelsea, but seriously, it would make the plot of your average Rocky film look like a documentary.