Where to fit Pogba?

Mr PG

This place will be in meltdown when Ole drops Fred and slots Pogba in alongside McTom.
I doubt Ole is that dumb. Fred is simply a more complete player than Pogba. Pogba has never dominated a full game the way Fred has the last two games against Tottenham and City. Was excellent against PSG last season and I always maintain Ole's greatest oversight this season was benching Fred for the first month .

romufc

Suspect he'll start getting game time in late December, just in time to be put in the shop window for January onwards.
Interesting Pogba hasn't played a Europa League game this season either which means he is not cup tied either.

This may have been to preserve some value?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Whichever of the two plays, plaus a selfless part of the 4 man attack. This role is similar to Firminho’s role at Liverpool But both are far inferior to Bobby. However if you can’t see the role they play in our fast, counterattacking tactic in terms of pressing and link-up play, then give me strength.
What are you, Klopp? :lol:

Also saying that Lingard and Pereira are the reason why we play well is downright ridiculous. Even in the last 2 games where we've performed well Pereira still managed to look mediocre.

Lingard finally managing to do the basics and not looking completely horrible in the last 2 games doesn't mean he's suddenly become indispensable.

crossy1686

career ending
Interesting Pogba hasn't played a Europa League game this season either which means he is not cup tied either.

This may have been to preserve some value?
Can't see him moving to another team in the Europa League though, I don't think playing in it would cup tie him for the Champions League. He seems to have his heart set on Madrid or Juventus and I seriously doubt either one of those two will make a move before the summer unless they both really want him.

romufc

Can't see him moving to another team in the Europa League though, I don't think playing in it would cup tie him for the Champions League. He seems to have his heart set on Madrid or Juventus and I seriously doubt either one of those two will make a move before the summer unless they both really want him.
Yes you are correct they amended the rule recently. I don't actually think Juventus is a possible destination. Real is the only club that he wants.

I also read Real need to raise £84m to meet FFP? if this is the case they will need to sell a few players? most likely Bale, Isco.

fps

If deployed at 10, with the freedom to roam and create at his leisure, I'm sure we will see a more consistent and influential Pogba.

The guy has literally everything in his locker to become an exceptional number 10 - he has a wide range of passing, dribbling ability, a blistering shot (that's bizarrely attracted to the opposition crossbar), he has vision, awareness, pace, strength in abundance and is one the few players in the PL with the ability to steamroll through an entire midfield. He looks like a man playing with boys on his day.

He's the type of player you build a team around.
I agree he should be ten and think if that doesn’t work he should go. Efforts to build a team around him have so far failed and he needs to work hard in that ten position as part of the pressing.

I doubt United will get 140m for him, people speak as if these figures are common now but the flops of Dembele and coutinho have tempered that I think.

ThinkTank@Cafe

The last thing I’d do is building a team around Pogba. Teams built around a players are thing of the past. With the decline of CR7 and Messi there are no players worthy of building team around at the highest level. Pogba is nowhere near that level. Don’t bother to mention France team. The best creator is pressing, not a player. That’s how modern metrics driven football works. Look at Liverpool midfield. You think Klopp would buy a Pogba to replace Henderson. A lot of fans are still like those scouts from Moneyball: “the kids know how to play, we saw him, blah”. The time to assess players on their own, without the team has passed.

romufc

PSG will struggle to get into top 4 in England.
I am not talking about PSG.. I am referring to the point in respects to there is no player worthy of building a team around.

Mbappe has shown he is the next big thing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Where has this "he won't press" suddenly come from? people talking like it's gospel.

Pogba is one of the fittest players in the squad, if he needs to press he will. Running 10-15 metres to press is much easier than running 60m up and down the pitch like he usually has to.

Having just 1 job will be alot simpler for him with Fred and Mctominay doing the leg work. He can concentrate on creating and scoring, which is Pogba's main attributes.

No surprise that Jose used to try and use him as a 10 when the match got more stretched, his speed and strength carrying the ball will enhance our counter attacking abilities, not make them worse.

I genuinely can't believe people are promoting using Pereira in the 10 instead of Pogba :lol:

Gator Nate

Pogba can hold onto the ball too long. I think Pogba in the 10 against packed defenses can be immense, provided his teammates move.
This is a complaint that keeps coming up, but...

Not really. Pogba tends to dwell in the ball and slows down transition for a #10.

Look at the gaps by both wingers during the City match. Pogba would hold on to the ball and then those gaps would evaporate. That's why Olé played him deep like a #6 last season.
But we were too ponderous then.
I think with the very functional partnership of McTominay and Fred, Pogba won't hold on to the ball too long - he'll have at least five options for a pass. One of the things that's really improved with our midfield, regardless of the 3rd member, is the speed coming out of it. Also, Pogba didn't have the pace on the front line to work with last year like he will now. All that pace surrounding him will alleviate the need to hold onto the ball so long. Unless he's just not all that...

I doubt Ole is that dumb. Fred is simply a more complete player than Pogba. Pogba has never dominated a full game the way Fred has the last two games against Tottenham and City. Was excellent against PSG last season and I always maintain Ole's greatest oversight this season was benching Fred for the first month .
Fred missed most (all?) of the preseason, so I think fitness was in question. I have no problem with the way he worked Fred into the team this year. Oh, and married life seems to agree with him, no?

AndyMUFC

Just in front of McTominay and Fred in a free role. I just hope we don't drop one of them to put him back into the deep lying midfield position.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Been watching the guy...impressed by his movement, passing and, especially shooting ability. A lot of first touch shots. Powerful shots, weighted shots, curled shots, set pieces, whatever...Most of the goals come from just outside or just into the box, 20 m. We often get touches in that area but rarely score. Looks like he’s worth of the reported 60M gamble.
Big temptation to see McFred with this guy as 10

Jonno

What are you, Klopp? :lol:

Also saying that Lingard and Pereira are the reason why we play well is downright ridiculous. Even in the last 2 games where we've performed well Pereira still managed to look mediocre.

Lingard finally managing to do the basics and not looking completely horrible in the last 2 games doesn't mean he's suddenly become indispensable.
Ok, so firstly I didnt say that Lingard and or Pereira are THE reason why we play well. Secondly I didn’t say Lingard was indispensible. Cool read though lad, keep going.

keener

I've wanted him at the top of a 3 man midfield triangle for a while. The whole idea of him playing deeper just doesn't work with his skillset. he wants to create, put and keep the ball on his feet, get to the top of the box and send in shots...

He is the most creative player that we have, he has touch and vision along with strength and uncanny ball skill. With Fred's current form, Pogba could be that missing piece to our midfield that will unlock everyone around him and allow the goals to fly in. I think he plays:

Rashford-Martial-James
Pogba
Fred-McTom

This is a role he was made for and it'll strengthen our team to not have Pereira making the odd shift.... he's just not up to standard.

SAFMUTD

It's blatantly obvious for Ole's system to work the 10 needs to press and work hard? If you allow Pogba to not do that, the system doesn't function. We don't win that game on Saturday without Lingard working so hard and doing brilliantly. That's the whole point. If Pogba can't do that task, he doesn't really fit. Yes the main job is to create, but we don't have the luxury where we can allow that to be all he does.

Pogba does work hard though, its a bit of a myth that he doesn't, I'm just making the point there's more to being a number 10 in the system we played on Saturday than simply assisting goals.
The pressing is made by all the team, the system doesnt relies on the number 10 running like crazy pressing the opposition, if anything Pogba would be required less defensive work as an 8/10 than as a 6.

I don’t really see any controversy at all, we’re not having a debate on weather we should bench Rashford or McTominay, it’s about benching Lingard/Pereira FFS.

Stadjer

That's because one suits our current system and the other doesnt.

For me, its more of a game-to-game issue. For every low block teams we meet, Pogba should start.

The problems arise in the big games like these against Spurs and City. Would the result be the same with Pogba in it? You never know.

But it is evident that Lingard actually played a good part in both pressing and transition.
Against teams like City and Spurs our attackers will get more space because the opponent isnt focused on defending as much as a low block team. Rashford with space is very dangerous but he does need to have the ball to be dangerous. Lingard isnt going to get the ball to Rashford because he seems incapable of making a dangerous pass forward.

When Pogba is behind Rashford and responsible to make a pass to set Rashford (or James) on his way towards goal, you know that pass can come and with Pogba most likely also will come.

I cant think of a single situation where i would rather play Lingard over Pogba. I think i would even prefer to play a not fully fit Pogba in bad form over topfit Lingard in the best form of his life. There is just such a big difference in quality and talent between those two. Manchester United is very lucky to have a player with Pogba at this moment, Lingard is extremely lucky that he is a Manchester United player at all.

The praise for pressing is so over the top.. it is literally just running. Is that really what you want from the most forward Manchester United midfielder? Lingard good in transition? Pogba is so much better at that, have you seen some of the passes he can pull of? With one long pass he can go from his own half to creating a chance for his team. Lingard will never do something like that, Lingard will most likely run a bit with the ball and get fouled or pass it to his closest teammember.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Didn't we also beat a stronger City with Pogba playing a key role in the league a couple of years ago ? What's this nonsense that we wouldn't have beaten them with him ?

James Ward

A number 10 role is obvious, can break forward with his strength. He's an attacking midfielder, get rid of Andreas, will never be good enough. Pogba can play CM as well if needed.

Another center midfielder without a doubt is needed and an attacking midfielder. I'd actually keep Lingard because he can play anywhere in attack but not good enough to be starting.

Suedesi

With McT and Fred as double pivots, Pogba should replace Lingard in the #10 and thread balls to Rashford, Martial, James and/or arrive late in the box to score goals

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Probably not fit enough, he missed some of the pre season due to getting married.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Just in front of McTominay and Fred in a free role. I just hope we don't drop one of them to put him back into the deep lying midfield position.
Advocated the very same last season. It would keep Pogba away from any defensive duties, he would be ideally placed to set up quick counter attacks, and would be close enough to get on the end of any cross into the box (think it was Chelsea in FA cup last season where he scored a cracker after Herrera put us in front). Personally I've always thought that was his best position with his attributes, but at the end of the day, if he enjoys it in that position, he will be great, if he doesn't, then he will be anonymous.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Pogba in a 10 might work tremendously infront of McT and Fred

billybee99

It's hopeless with some people on these boards.

Can't believe I'm hearing some people suggesting to play Pogba in the small games then Lingard in the big ones because of his "running" and "energy".
This. You're right - it is fecking insane (and I'm not even a Pogba fan). Lingard has 2 half- decent games (and I stress "half- decent) and all of a sudden he's undroppable. The number of Lingard fans that have come out of the woodwork in the last 2 weeks is incredible (imagine if he ever scores a goal). We are literally giving away an attacking player/position every time Lingard plays; the second you pencil him onto the teamsheet, you automatically know you will get 0 goals and 0 assists from the #10 position. I never thought I'd see the day when a Manchester United fan would want a #10 that presses the ball as his only attribute. It's a joke.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
This. You're right - it is fecking insane (and I'm not even a Pogba fan). Lingard has 2 half- decent games (and I stress "half- decent) and all of a sudden he's undroppable. The number of Lingard fans that have come out of the woodwork in the last 2 weeks is incredible (imagine if he ever scores a goal). We are literally giving away an attacking player/position every time Lingard plays; the second you pencil him onto the teamsheet, you automatically know you will get 0 goals and 0 assists from the #10 position. I never thought I'd see the day when a Manchester United fan would want a #10 that presses the ball as his only attribute. It's a joke.
Poor lad fecked up badly in Astana didn't he, what was he thinking?

billybee99

Ok, so firstly I didnt say that Lingard and or Pereira are THE reason why we play well. Secondly I didn’t say Lingard was indispensible. Cool read though lad, keep going.
You're comparing them with Firmino. What you forgot to mention is that Firmino gets more goals and assists in an average game than Lingard does in an entire year (literally).

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
AM in a midfield 3 until end of season then sell him for as much as we can get for him in summer