g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Where to for Memphis?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Memphis had a shocking season last season by every standard but I think we can lay at least some of that blame at Van Gaals door.

Memphis is most definitely a confidence player and I have no doubt that Fergie would have been able to get the best out of him, hopefully, in the same way Mourinho cans and will.

We'll see what Memphis is made of this season. It's make or break for him this year.

If Mourinho unshackles him and gives him free reign going forward (like what he did with Hazard and Fergie did with Ronaldo) we could get the best out of him.
I actually thought that he made Hazard work hard in defence, any Chelsea fan to confirm? @duffer @Orc

Litch

let's give the lad the benefit of the doubt. Not the first or last footballer that struggled in his first season at any club. There's also been many who were on fire in first season and terrible thereafter. Patience is a word not used often in football but we have nothing to lose other than money by selling him now. His biggest crime at the end of the season was trying too hard and surely that's a quality than simply not being bothered. Whether he'll be good enough, who knows but let's make sure it's not knee jerk after all, it's not like was an easy year being anything associated to the club last season....

-Fußballgott-

Would surely be best served slimming down a bit. He looks slow and heavy. I think that's part of the reason United fans find him hard to support - he doesn't have the agility or nimbleness to twist defenders blood like Giggs, Nani or Martial. A winger needs that ability to wriggle out of tight situations, whoever told him to become the Prem's Akinfenwa has badly advised him. Or maybe he just did it for vanity, rather than footballing purposes?

phepheshane

Hope you aren't driving in that condition.
Nani was far better on the right. Coincidentally, where he had his best season. Until the Ecuadorian shin rattler got the spot.

:lol:
Stop it! Some of us are trying to get some work done (whilst reading posts on the caf).

Hed Zitin

He looks like he's barely lost any of his bulk and as a result I don't think he'll be up to much. He hasn't got the agility and speed needed while he's carrying that muscle.

He'll barely feature anyway. No chance he'll play over Martial baring the odd minnow cup tie. Might as well loan him. Jose won't like his work rate anyway.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
fans are making it harder for him.. hes a good player.. needs our support to grow.. we were all on board when he came.. to many of us turned on him like soem arsenal fans.

RedDevil@84

I really don't understand what is the big deal in giving him another season. Let him show good improvement in training and get into the first team if possible.

ti vu

I actually thought that he made Hazard work hard in defence, any Chelsea fan to confirm? @duffer @Orc
Hazard is not too lazy, but not outright hard working neither. Felipe Luiz failed to make into the XI, partly relating to Hazard is not defensive enough. They both together on the same wing caused unbalanced. Felipe Luiz has much more protection from his wing partner at Athletico, so he can bring out his best that is an attacking full back. Making him into sitting back all the time, negates his natural game. Hazard attacking talent was worth the sacrifice of the full back hence Cesar (still can't his name) was favored.

Memphis was similar to Hazard defensively. However, Memphis attacking style was far from Hazard 2 seasons ago (and few games this season where he was on his game). With Memphis it's like asking for combination of Cesar and Felipe Luiz into a full back at the same time. Shaw seems to be very close to this ideal blend. He is solid defending, and offer enough support in attacking. Memphis did benefit from the time playing with Shaw. Still Memphis only produced slightly better.

Last edited:

Womp

idiot
fans are making it harder for him.. hes a good player.. needs our support to grow.. we were all on board when he came.. to many of us turned on him like soem arsenal fans.
TBF I was never really excited with us signing him. His highlights weren't even that impressive, which was worrying as it was the Dutch league. He just isn't a very talented player imo. He isn't good enough to displace any of our other options, Martial is better than him at literally everything, Lingard is better defensively, Mkhitryan is vastly superior to him etc.

I think a move to a smaller club, where he belongs would be best for both of us. Would love to be proven wrong but what does he actually excel at? It's as if he has nothing else in his locker but to cut in off the wing and try make space for a shot, something defenders figured out a few games into the season. It's no surprise his best performances were against terrible teams.

Stacks

TBF I was never really excited with us signing him. His highlights weren't even that impressive, which was worrying as it was the Dutch league. He just isn't a very talented player imo. He isn't good enough to displace any of our other options, Martial is better than him at literally everything, Lingard is better defensively, Mkhitryan is vastly superior to him etc.

I think a move to a smaller club, where he belongs would be best for both of us. Would love to be proven wrong but what does he actually excel at? It's as if he has nothing else in his locker but to cut in off the wing and try make space for a shot, something defenders figured out a few games into the season. It's no surprise his best performances were against terrible teams.
He has bags of potential according to his fans so watch this space!

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Where to for Depay? To center forward, apparently.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I wish I could say I have faith that Jose may be able to develop him, but I just don't think he has even mid-table PL talent capacity.