Who has had the better international career? Messi or Ronaldo?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Also, posters usually question the "competitiveness" of the Euros versus the Copa (he plays minnows like San Marino, or the Copa only has x amount of good teams etc.), so the world cup has to weigh heavily in this debate as its the only "fair" international competition which both played in.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
These threads and debates are never going to have an end or a clear winner

They were both great and its just impossible to say either of them were not.

Ladron de redcafe

Also, posters usually question the "competitiveness" of the Euros versus the Copa (he plays minnows like San Marino, or the Copa only has x amount of good teams etc.), so the world cup has to weigh heavily in this debate as its the only "fair" international competition which both played in.
It's the highest level of international football. And on that highest level, there's been a gulf in their performances.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't care about greatest career tbh (in this context). That's usually more down to your team mates / circumstances. It's more relevant to see what the individuals when discussing them rather than how the team / collective shaped up. Unless it's a discussion about respective NTs.
I mean the thread title is asking about strictly better international career, but I agree generally.

the_cliff

I don't see how it was settled with the Copa win when Ronaldo already had a Euros win, with the Euros being a MUCH more difficult and prestigious competition. And more organized, whereas the Copa they just kept throwing random competitions in to give Messi more chances at a win. It's a competition that's supposed to be held every 4 years like the Euros and yet, they had it in 2004, 2007, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2019, 2021... Like come on. You just start losing respect for it.

Messi has probably had the better international career, but it's basically decided on the back of this world cup semi final. Ronaldo was a key player on 2006 when they made the semis. Messi made the final once, but lost. That was the difference before now in their world cup careers, which is basically an irrelevant difference as they lost anyway.

It's not a question of who is the better player. There is no contest there. But who has achieved more in their international careers is a fair question. Ronaldo has more goals in the Euros (and is record goalscorer) in fewer matches than Messi has in the Copa America for example (where he isn't the record goalscorer). Ronaldo is the all time international top scorer. Both of those points probably even out the minuscule difference in their world cup careers... But if Argentina make the final, then it's hard to argue against Messi. If they win the thing, then it's clearly Messi.
But since we are comparing two individuals wouldn't we be comparing their performances in tournaments ? in Euro 2016 Griezmann was player of the tournament. Messi has been player of the tournament in a world cup and 2 Copas.

In terms of all time international goal record, it's irrelevant. Ali Daei of Iran had the record till Ronaldo beat him, I'm not sure people were saying he had the better international career until he was overtaken by Ronaldo.

bosnian_red

In terms of goal totals, let's not pretend like Messi doesn't play guatamala, Haiti, Bolivia etc in friendlies and qualifiers. They both play their fair share of scrubs. The actual Euro tournament is much tougher to win than the Copa is though. And the Euros has stayed consistent, whereas I've lost respect for the Copa America with their inconsistency of scheduling and just tossing in bonus ones so that Messi could eventually get a win. A Euros win is the equivalent to a CL win basically for me, while a Copa win is like Barcelona winning a league title. For me anyway.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
In terms of goal totals, let's not pretend like Messi doesn't play guatamala, Haiti, Bolivia etc in friendlies and qualifiers. They both play their fair share of scrubs. The actual Euro tournament is much tougher to win than the Copa is though. And the Euros has stayed consistent, whereas I've lost respect for the Copa America with their inconsistency of scheduling and just tossing in bonus ones so that Messi could eventually get a win. A Euros win is the equivalent to a CL win basically for me, while a Copa win is like Barcelona winning a league title. For me anyway.
Where did i say it wasn't? I literally said both sets questioning the strength of the other? So no idea why you're going on the defensive and rambling if i'm honest.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Where did i say it wasn't? I literally said both sets questioning the strength of the other? So no idea why you're going on the defensive and rambling if i'm honest.
If someone suggests that San Marino participated in the Euros then their opinion is questionable. :angel:

KeanoMagicHat

It’s only fair though by comparing players between different continents and confederations that you broadly treat regional competitions as they are - so for Messi it’s Copa America, for Salah the Afcon, for Ronaldo it’s the Euros. The only way to fairly compare them all is the World Cup where everyone has a chance to play on the same stage.

We can’t know how Messi would have done in the Euros or Ronaldo would have done in Copa America, so the World Cup is the ultimate decider on international careers.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do you know what Portugals draw / opponents in the Euros were? I'd say Euro understandably meant more to Portugal as a nation than the Copa to Argentina but the run in for Portugal (Pre peak France aside) was average.

bosnian_red

But since we are comparing two individuals wouldn't we be comparing their performances in tournaments ? in Euro 2016 Griezmann was player of the tournament. Messi has been player of the tournament in a world cup and 2 Copas.

In terms of all time international goal record, it's irrelevant. Ali Daei of Iran had the record till Ronaldo beat him, I'm not sure people were saying he had the better international career until he was overtaken by Ronaldo.
The goals is a factor in best career, just like golden ball is a factor in their careers. I think the questions "who has had a better career" is different from "who has been a better player". The latter is clear on both club and national level. The first isn't clear on either level given Ronaldo's CL titles and the goal totals IMO. That one is much more heavily weighed towards just the big trophies/records. Honorable loser doesn't give you many points IMO.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
They've both been a bit underwhelming when you compare them to the other GOATs like Pelé and Maradona.

Their international careers seem to be going in different directions, the young Ronaldo in his first few tournaments was very impressive even without the goals/assists. Messi seems to be getting better with Argentina with age although he's still a few years younger.

100+ goals in internationals isn't an easy feat despite some trying their best to downplay it, but Messi after this WC has the better knockout performances, both are great and Messi will tip it once Argentina win the wc.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The Messi 2014 golden ball was a debatable decision.

the_cliff

The goals is a factor in best career, just like golden ball is a factor in their careers. I think the questions "who has had a better career" is different from "who has been a better player". The latter is clear on both club and national level. The first isn't clear on either level given Ronaldo's CL titles and the goal totals IMO. That one is much more heavily weighed towards just the big trophies/records. Honorable loser doesn't give you many points IMO.
Yes but Messi has 95 in 170 apps and Ronaldo has 118 in 196 apps. I'd understand the argument if it was a huge gap but that gap isn't big enough to be a factor.

Also Messi has 95 goals and 52 assists in 170 apps. That's 147 goal contributions in 170 apps.
Ronaldo has 118 goals and 33 assists in 196 apps. That's 151 goal contributions in 196 apps.

In Major tournaments (Copa/Euros):
Messi 13 goals 17 assists. 30 goal contributions in 34 apps.
Ronaldo 14 goals 6 assists. 20 goal contributions in 25 apps.

World Cup:
Messi 10 Goals 7 assists. 17 Goal contributions in 24 apps.
Ronaldo 8 goals 2 assists. 10 goal contributions in 22 apps.

Taking the numbers in to account idk how anyone can argue those numbers being a win for Ronaldo over Messi....

That's without taking individual tournament awards into account and overall performance and impact on a game.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I would say that overall Messi has been part of stronger international teams on paper than Ronaldo has. For quite a period, while I don't want to pretend that Portugal were made up of Ronaldo, Pepe and a bunch of amateurs around them, I didn't think they were particularly strong overall / on paper from the start of the Queiroz reign (or maybe even the last couple of years under Scolari) through to the first few years under Santos. Pre-Euro 2000, Portugal didn't have a consistent track record of qualifying for major tournaments, and I'm inclined to think that without Ronaldo they wouldn't have qualified for all of the last 5 World Cups in the first place.

Ronaldo's first prime season would be 2006/2007 when he became the main man at Utd. The major tournaments spanning his impressively lengthy prime would IMO start from either the 2006 World Cup or Euro 2008 through to the 2018 World Cup. I'd rank Portugal's pre-Ronaldo Euro 2000 team ahead of any of those later Portugal teams with a prime Ronaldo, and also ahead of their Euro 2004 team with a 19 year old Ronaldo (when he scored the opening goal in their SF win).

As I said on another thread, this is the only 1 of the last 5 World Cups that I had thought Portugal had any realistic chance of winning. In 2006 they did very well to get to the semis but I thought that was their limit and that they were the weakest of the 4 semi-finalists. In 2018 I fully expected Uruguay to beat them in the 2nd round, and I didn't consider them to be among the favourites despite the fact that they were the reigning Euro champions. Clearly in 2010 and 2014 they had no chance whatsoever of winning (Argentina's 2010 team that were battered by Germany was definitely stronger on paper than Portugal's 2010 team that I was expecting to lose to the Ivory Coast).

the_cliff

I would say that overall Messi has been part of stronger international teams on paper than Ronaldo has. For quite a period, while I don't want to pretend that Portugal were made up of Ronaldo, Pepe and a bunch of amateurs around them, I didn't think they were particularly strong overall / on paper from the start of the Queiroz reign (or maybe even the last couple of years under Scolari) through to the first few years under Santos. Pre-Euro 2000, Portugal didn't have a consistent track record of qualifying for major tournaments, and I'm inclined to think that without Ronaldo they wouldn't have qualified for all of the last 5 World Cups in the first place.

Ronaldo's first prime season would be 2006/2007 when he became the main man at Utd. The major tournaments spanning his impressively lengthy prime would IMO start from either the 2006 World Cup or Euro 2008 through to the 2018 World Cup. I'd rank Portugal's pre-Ronaldo Euro 2000 team ahead of any of those later Portugal teams with a prime Ronaldo, and also ahead of their Euro 2004 team with a 19 year old Ronaldo (when he scored the opening goal in their SF win).

As I said on another thread, this is the only 1 of the last 5 World Cups that I had thought Portugal had any realistic chance of winning. In 2006 they did very well to get to the semis but I thought that was their limit and that they were the weakest of the 4 semi-finalists. In 2018 I fully expected Uruguay to beat them in the 2nd round, and I didn't consider them to be among the favourites despite the fact that they were the reigning Euro champions. Clearly in 2010 and 2014 they had no chance whatsoever of winning (Argentina's 2010 team that were battered by Germany was definitely stronger on paper than Portugal's 2010 team that I was expecting to lose to the Ivory Coast).
Come On !

JPRouve

Scout

Portugal have had better teams and it's barely close. I don't even know where the idea that Argentina have had stronger international teams on paper even starts. The only position where Argentina have been superior is strikers and you can't exactly play with 5 or 6 of them at once.

KeanoMagicHat

Yes but Messi has 95 in 170 apps and Ronaldo has 118 in 196 apps. I'd understand the argument if it was a huge gap but that gap isn't big enough to be a factor.

Also Messi has 95 goals and 52 assists in 170 apps. That's 147 goal contributions in 170 apps.
Ronaldo has 118 goals and 33 assists in 196 apps. That's 151 goal contributions in 196 apps.

In Major tournaments (Copa/Euros):
Messi 13 goals 17 assists. 30 goal contributions in 34 apps.
Ronaldo 14 goals 6 assists. 20 goal contributions in 25 apps.

World Cup:
Messi 10 Goals 7 assists. 17 Goal contributions in 24 apps.
Ronaldo 8 goals 2 assists. 10 goal contributions in 22 apps.

Taking the numbers in to account idk how anyone can argue those numbers being a win for Ronaldo over Messi....

That's without taking individual tournament awards into account and overall performance and impact on a game.
Yep, Ronaldo is trying to force an argument that isn’t there based on sheer mass of games and refusing to retire like other greats did.

22 goals in tournaments sounds good until you realise he’s played a massive 47 games, then you realise he’s not even hitting 1 in 2 in tournaments and even worse when it comes to knockouts of tournaments. His last goal in a knockout game of any tournament was his goal against Wales in Euro 2016.

His goal per game record in the Euros is worse than Morata, Lukaku and Rooney, yet nobody would claim these players are king of the Euros. His goal per game in the World Cup is worse than Perisic, Hierro, Henrik Larsson, Lukaku (again), Shaqiri for example.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
That North Korea side was excellent, gave big sides bloody noses and just look back at the footage - much better than the current South Korean side for example.
Yeah, it could be considered the greatest Asian side of all time. Their defensive discipline and concentration were on the top-notch level. NK1966 side was a pretty counter-attacking team. Shin Jung Kyoo who was the captain of that team was a class defender and could be rated as one of the best Asian defenders of all time in the World Cup. Other class players in that team were Pak Doo-Ik( talent-midfielder), and Han Bong Zin( another class midfielder). Young goalkeeper, Lee Chang Myung was also considered a super talent in that team. As he was only 19 years old and performed superbly against a marvelous Italy.

The Chollima team, too, was now more confident, and the crowd cheered them on, even as the Italians, appearing calm and sure of themselves, dominated the game. Three times in the first half the Flying Panther leaped high and wide to block what looked like certain goals. In the 34th minute, the Italian center back and captain, Giacomo Bulgarelli, collided with Pak Seung-zin, pulling a muscle, and having to be carried off on a stretcher. Substitutions were not allowed back then; the Italians had to play the rest of the game with 10 players.

The Italian defense found it difficult to reorganize without Bulgarelli. In the 41st minute, they distanced a harmless ball to the center of the field, and it was headed back to the right side of the box. Pak Doo-ik, Korea’s No. 7, broke loose from the dreaming defender at his side, coolly allowed the ball to bounce twice on the grass and then, with the inner side of his shoe, sent it toward the low, near corner of the net. The goalkeeper, Albertosi, leaped, but too late: The ball slid under his arm into the net. “Who would have believed it?” the British television commentator shouted.

Under pressure, the Italians abandoned their group game, as player after player tried by himself to salvage the honor of the homeland, but to no avail. The Koreans won. Some call it the greatest upset in World Cup history. “Many of us cried in the dressing room,” Mazzola related years later. North Korea advanced to the quarterfinals, together with the Soviet Union.

After the game, the North Korean team was invited to a festive meal hosted by the mayor of Middlesbrough. The next day, the team traveled by train to Liverpool, for the quarterfinal game against Portugal. Throughout the trip they sang, had their pictures taken with British women in floral hats and gave autographs to awestruck fair-haired children. No one in the world was happier than the North Korean soccer team: The Great Leader’s request had been fulfilled.
‘Sweatbox’ punishment

North Korean documentary footage shows the team’s stars alighting from the plane in Pyongyang and being welcomed with smiles and floral wreaths. They look happy. The mission assigned to them by the Great Leader had been carried out successfully. But over time, rumors circulated in South Korea and worldwide about what transpired next. The story was that the North Korean team had been accused of collapsing against Portugal because a few days earlier, after their victory over Italy, the players had spent the night carousing with women. According to the rumors, they were tried, convicted and sent to North Korean gulags.

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/...f-e3b2-d9aa-afff-fbfa43b30000?v=1670849037929

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Portugal have had better teams and it's barely close. I don't even know where the idea that Argentina have had stronger international teams on paper even starts. The only position where Argentina have been superior is strikers and you can't exactly play with 5 or 6 of them at once.
Spot on :lol:

I often hear that brandied about how “stacked Argentina were” and they go on to name: Tevez, Messi, Aguero, Higuain, di Maria….all occupying 2-3 positions at best (& even then you’d need to push someone out of position). Sure they had Mascherano but outside of those positions/names…..

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Greatest player is not the same as greatest career for me. The latter is really more just what did you achieve with your country, and goal totals... And I think it's jusy very similar between the two when you weigh the WC achievements being in favor of Messi, the Euro achievements being in favor of Ronaldo for me (reasons listed in post above), and Ronaldo being the all time top international goalscorer.
You are comparing team achievements alone, my friend. Naively disregarding how they compare in the biggest stage, WC stage.

Messi has been chosen as the best player 5 times, Ronaldo zero.. At the highest stage, WCs, Ronaldo is invisible relative to Messi.
Leading your team to the WC final is way more impressive than playing a EC final (where Ronaldo did not play more than 15 minutes and his teammates won for him), so there goes your argument.. Just because Higuain, Palacio had brain farts does not mean playing a WC final against Germany that demolished Brazil 7-1 is nothing to consider or Messi starring in this WC once again is nothing to consider among his NT career achievements..

Last edited:

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
If people keep using the LoN as a tiebreaker, we might as well consider using the FIFA Youth World Cup (comparable) and the Olympic Gold too (significantly more relevant). Both won by Messi in 2005 and 2008 respectively. And the Finalissima too since we're at it.

Stat padding aside, individual honors that aren't directly related to scoring mean nothing nowadays since they are esentially popularity contests that have nothing to do with actual performance in the competition. At the end of the day both have one big continental trophy and one big continental goalscoring record. WC performances help Messi surpass Cristiano, altough both so far underachieved on the big scene.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Despite the horrendous world cup Ronaldo has had and the really top one Messi is having, it's Ronaldo for me. This is the first international tournament where Messi has played to his ability. Historically Messi has played in stronger Argentine teams as well.

Castia

Ronaldo but that will change if Argentina win the world cup

JPRouve

Scout
Despite the horrendous world cup Ronaldo has had and the really top one Messi is having, it's Ronaldo for me. This is the first international tournament where Messi has played to his ability. Historically Messi has played in stronger Argentine teams as well.
No, he hasn't. And it's also not Messi's first top tournament either.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
No, he hasn't. And it's also not Messi's first top tournament either.
Yes he has. I've followed international soccer outside of the world cup for a lot of years now (most people do not) and Messi has played in a far superior Argentina team than Ronaldo. This is probably the first time I'd say the tables are turned.

Joel Miller

Where do you even start with this?

I’d say both of those statements are well wide of the mark. The idea that this is the first time Messi’s played to his ability being about as far wide of the mark as you can get. He’s been the top performer at a few Copas (don’t let the fact his side couldn’t get over the finish line change that).And one of the top performers at 2 World Cups (present one included). Portugal have had great quality and more importantly great balance over the last couple of decades. Argentina having a bunch of top class forwards doesn’t make them a stronger side, even on paper, and their current side really isn’t anything special. Either way you’re so far wrong with those statements I’d question whether or not you ever watch the Copa America. Messi at that last Copa is as good an individual tournament as I’ve seen any player have in my lifetime. He was head and shoulders above the rest.

The Euros vs Copa argument is very strange too (not from you of course but from others). Not saying every team in the Copa is a good one but Messi clearly hasn’t had the benefit of nearly 20 years of being able to pray on sides like Luxembourg (Ronaldo’s favourite victim), Latvia, Angola, Northern Ireland and the like, and certainly not on semi professional/amateur minnows like San Marino and the Faroe Islands. For all that his record is great, Ronaldo has really loaded up against these sides. The lack of respect for the Copa just strikes me a being attributable to ignorance or lack of information more than anything.

Last edited:

Righteous Steps

Did you not see 2014 and he won the Copa América just the other year.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
It becomes clearer now that the only reason some people think Ronaldo has had a better international career is because they are basing it on false information. How can someone say that this is the first international tournament where Messi has played to his ability when you look at the below.

WC 2014 - Best player award
Copa America 2015- Best player award, Top Assister
Copa America 2016- Played an amazing tournament with 5 goals and 4 assists and was in team of the tournament
Copa America 2021- Best player award, Top Goalscorer, Top Assister

Ronaldo meanwhile has never performed at a major international tournament

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Those old enough to remember 2004 will remember Ronaldo's crunching header against The Netherlands in the semi-final, which puts him well above anything Messi has achieved on the international stage

JPRouve

Scout
Yes he has. I've followed international soccer outside of the world cup for a lot of years now (most people do not) and Messi has played in a far superior Argentina team than Ronaldo. This is probably the first time I'd say the tables are turned.
And yet, you make wild claims. There is no point where Argentina had a far superior team than Portugal.

Righteous Steps

It becomes clearer now that the only reason some people think Ronaldo has had a better international career is because they are basing it on false information. How can someone say that this is the first international tournament where Messi has played to his ability when you look at the below.

WC 2014 - Best player award
Copa America 2015- Best player award, Top Assister
Copa America 2016- Played an amazing tournament with 5 goals and 4 assists and was in team of the tournament
Copa America 2021- Best player award, Top Goalscorer, Top Assister

Ronaldo meanwhile has never performed at a major international tournament
Your first points are spot on, not sure about your last statement though.

FujiVice

Those old enough to remember 2004 will remember Ronaldo's crunching header against The Netherlands in the semi-final, which puts him well above anything Messi has achieved on the international stage
I also remember him skying a chance to make it 1-1 in the final of Euro 2004.

Skills

Snitch
Messi did not deserve the 2014 golden ball, should have been won by a german, but there you see how irrelevent those trophies are.
But comparing Ronaldo and Messi on the international stage is like comparing two mid-table-teams who do not matter much regarding the outcome.
Nope.

If you made an argument for James Rodriguez or Arjen Robben that would've been more legitimate.

U99ted

In terms of goal totals, let's not pretend like Messi doesn't play guatamala, Haiti, Bolivia etc in friendlies and qualifiers.
Messi literally doesn’t play these in qualifiers. They are CONCACAF, Argentina is in CONMEBOL.