Who here hopes United get spanked tonight?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Oh and one more thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure the majority of posters on here think Moyes should be sacked if we finish outside the top four. At least the majority was clear when the season started.

Which has to be a lot of posters. Now, assuming all of you think he should be sacked if we finish outside the top, is it reasonable to assume that a lot of you think he will be sacked if we don't get CL football?

With this in mind is it really that outlandish to suggest a heavy defeat tomorrow will hasten his demise? More points dropped, a chunk out of our meagre goal difference.

Amidst that cohort of caftards, there has to be a goodish number who are absolutely certain he is not - and never will be - good enough to manager MUFC.

So why not hope for a heavy defeat tomorrow? Would the cognitive dissonance really be too much to bear? Is it completely out of the question to reassure yourself that it would be for the greater good in the end?

I'm honestly not being a WUM when I say I'm amazed that this thread is 7 pages long and not one caftard has stepped up and said that they feel that way.
I would hope a lot of posters still want him to prove them wrong though. I know I do... I more-or-less fit that profile you're talking about (dont' think he's the man for the job/should be sacked if we don't get top 4 etc.)... but I still WANT him to prove me wrong and would love it if we finished 4th.

Kaos

Oh and one more thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure the majority of posters on here think Moyes should be sacked if we finish outside the top four. At least the majority was clear when the season started.

Which has to be a lot of posters. Now, assuming all of you think he should be sacked if we finish outside the top, is it reasonable to assume that a lot of you think he will be sacked if we don't get CL football?

With this in mind is it really that outlandish to suggest a heavy defeat tomorrow will hasten his demise? More points dropped, a chunk out of our meagre goal difference.

Amidst that cohort of caftards, there has to be a goodish number who are absolutely certain he is not - and never will be - good enough to manager MUFC.

So why not hope for a heavy defeat tomorrow? Would the cognitive dissonance really be too much to bear? Is it completely out of the question to reassure yourself that it would be for the greater good in the end?

I'm honestly not being a WUM when I say I'm amazed that this thread is 7 pages long and not one caftard has stepped up and said that they feel that way.
Because football fans don't want to see their team lose? Its not really that difficult of a concept to grasp.

Wanting to spank Arsenal and Moyes to be sacked needn't be mutually exclusive.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I want him to be given time. However if he isn't going to be given a chance next season, I want him gone now, and not in the summer. I've said already that bringing in a new manager who has to try and rush into signings during his first month or two of his job isn't ideal. We saw that last summer. If we are going to have anew manager next season, he should be appointed now. The last thing we need is another wasted transfer window.
I agree with that.

If moyes isn't the man for the job, the sooner he leaves the better. Giggs would be a perfect caretaker manager.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What I want, and what I think most people want, is for Moyes to prove us all idiots by setting out United to play spectacular football and winning every game until the end of the season so we end up in the top four (and winning the Champions League).

Anyone who wants Moyes to fail just so he can get fired is deluded. Nobody wants Moyes to fail. Its just as clear as day that he IS failing and everyone is afraid of where that's gonna take us.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I hope we spank Arsenal for some remarkable recovery for our season, if it doesn't at least it'll shut the gooners on board here.

Barring that, I think Moyes should be sacked as soon as top 4 is mathematically impossible for us to reach. As much as Sir Alex asked us to support Moyes, I don't think he's expecting such a shit performance from us without him.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Huh? If you think finishing outside the top four is definitely a sackable offence what do you know that the people running the club don't?
That's a pointless mental exercise. I think hiring David Moyes in the first place was a mistake, but obviously it happened anyway. People can be well informed and still make mistakes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I would hope a lot of posters still want him to prove them wrong though. I know I do... I more-or-less fit that profile you're talking about (dont' think he's the man for the job/should be sacked if we don't get top 4 etc.)... but I still WANT him to prove me wrong and would love it if we finished 4th.
So your mind isn't completely made up about him? That's fair enough. There's a wide range of opinions on here.

I would only expect people to want us to lose if they're absolutely certain he needs to go. I get the impression there's a fair few people in that category. Do you think I'm mistaken?

smallred

i want us to win, 100% BUT if we do lose, ill accept it, if he is sacked.

i would like to think thats what most people actually want to see happen.

Bebe

What I want, and what I think most people want, is for Moyes to prove us all idiots by setting out United to play spectacular football and winning every game until the end of the season so we end up in the top four (and winning the Champions League).

Anyone who wants Moyes to fail just so he can get fired is deluded. Nobody wants Moyes to fail. Its just as clear as day that he IS failing and everyone is afraid of where that's gonna take us.
Exactly. I want us to pummel Arsenal, and go on to make the top 4 following a miraculous run of form. Following that, the summer would see Vidal, Coentrao and Xavi signed, and we'll go from there.

Unfortunately us signing Xavi is probably as likely as any of the other developments I mentioned. What is more likely is that we'll lose to Arsenal and fail to make the top 4. If this happens, I would like to see Moyes go.

There's a big difference in saying "Losing to Arsenal should be the nail in Moyes' coffin" versus "I want us to lose to Arsenal, because then Moyes will be fired". None of the #MoyesOut camp want to see him fail, they want to see consequences if he does.

rio's upper lip

Hope is the wrong word, but I actually wouldn't care too much if they bent us over. We've gotten progressively worse over the season, and a win at one of the title challengers would be a big, big shock to me at this point.

Moyes has the team playing so unbelievably shit that a loss is neither unexpected nor especially concerning.

togg

Ok ok...I'll hold my hands up, and say there is a perverse part of me that would almost be excited by a 6-0 thrashing by Arsenal. I think the media would totally turn. I think the old trafford crowd would start to sing Moyes' name but through excruciatingly clenched teeth. I think Moyes would be forced to say more than "try, hope, doing the right thing, persevere, I'll get it right"....and I think the Old Trafford board would be forced to say something. Lose against Palace at Palace the next weekend, well....

But then again, I'm one of those people who actually find the floods exciting and enjoyable....bit dark really...

Spider

Bringer of old news
Me, if that means Moyes will be sacked then Yes.. as long as the end justifies the means..

Dominos

Exactly. Moyes can't even set out his team to win at home. I don't think with a top manager we would have lost all those home games.

As for the result tomorrow. At this stage, if we lose I'm not bothered. For me unless a miracle happens in Europe, I want the season to be over fast.
Us fluking the Champions League at this point may be the funniest thing that's ever happened.

I disagree, a club like United that has had the playing style of one man ingrained in its DNA for 25 years would struggle to find success under any new manager. It just wouldn't happen. It's not a position like Chelsea, or City, where the personnel have become used to managers changing every 2-3 seasons, right from Youth Academy level up, Ferguson has left his mark and style on the way things are done in all aspects. ANY change was invariably going to send us backwards for a time; Gaining Moyes = less of the cause of our current problems than losing SAF.
These are just words though... What is a club's DNA? It's just strikes me as intangible, romanticised bollocks. Most of our players have played under other managers. They all play international football with different styles than United as well. The important thing in terms of results on the pitch is the management of the first team players- coaching, motivating, tactics, recognising talent/transfers - the exact same stuff these managers were responsible for at their previous clubs where they achieved their success. I didn't even particularly want Mourinho, but I'm convinced if he'd have took the United job and Moyes took Chelsea, you could basically reverse the teams' current positions in the table.

I'd even go as far as to say we could have eliminated a lot of the problems and complaints we had about the team over the past couple of years. A top coach who could recognise and fix our weakness in midfield, could coach the players into playing attractive football, pass and press like a top team and ease our reliance on ancient players should've been the aim.

Getsme

. People want everything to come together now and simply don't have the patience to wait or understand that it will take 2-3 seasons before we're challenging for the league again.
Challenging for the title isn't the issue, how many have said they would be happy with a top 4 finish, is that being unrealistic?.
Out of the title race, out of the cups, out of the top 4 trophy and it's only February. Then you take into consideration our style of play and you can understand the frustration, it's nothing to do with patience, it's to do with realism.

Red For Ever

I always want United to win, I expect United to push to the last game, no matter what, mathematically we can still get 4th, nothing is impossible, although very unlikely. ( Takes Red tinted specs off ) I support United, not Moyes, not Rooney,or even SAF, I supported United through tough times, good times and indifferent times. Moyes and the Glazers are just the current custodians, they will not last, Moyes time looks like being shorter than we thought, but whatever he does, I will l NEVER want united to lose.

I can not conceive any good reason why a United fan would want United to lose.

PS I am not related to his GUY

togg

Challenging for the title isn't the issue, how many have said they would be happy with a top 4 finish, is that being unrealistic?.
Out of the title race, out of the cups, out of the top 4 trophy and it's only February. Then you take into consideration our style of play and you can understand the frustration, it's nothing to do with patience, it's to do with realism.
agreed..a top four is a must for a club as rich and huge as united.

Dominos

Ok ok...I'll hold my hands up, and say there is a perverse part of me that would almost be excited by a 6-0 thrashing by Arsenal. I think the media would totally turn. I think the old trafford crowd would start to sing Moyes' name but through excruciatingly clenched teeth. I think Moyes would be forced to say more than "try, hope, doing the right thing, persevere, I'll get it right"....and I think the Old Trafford board would be forced to say something. Lose against Palace at Palace the next weekend, well....

But then again, I'm one of those people who actually find the floods exciting and enjoyable....bit dark really...
:lol:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Even if he gets sacked if we lose, I never want United to lose. I don't really think he's up to the job as a Man Utd manager, but I'll support the team even if it means Moyes still remains the manager.

IrishLegend

If you could guarantee Moyes would go if we lost to the Gooners. I'd say it would be worth the loss.

4th is out of the question this year and if losing would result in Moyes going, It'd be like killing a cell to stop the cancer.
What will probably happen is we'll lose. Moyes will stay and get another season to drag us further towards mediocracy.

But then again I'm not a real fan because I don't think Moyes is good enough for a club of our stature.

botond

I ask again ...which quality of Moyes gives people the hope that he could turn things around . he is a creator of dull and negative football with a small team mentality .

Baxter

Does nobody think if we get a proper doing tomorrow that he could get sacked? Say 4 or 5-0 with our fixtures and I think it could be a real possibility. There could be no excuses or bad luck.

Getsme

I ask again ...which quality of Moyes gives people the hope that he could turn things around . he is a creator of dull and negative football with a small team mentality .
There's nothing I can think off, some say he needs to build his own team which I agree with. However if he can't get our squad higher than 7th then why should he be given the chance.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can a massive loss be a massive win?

finneh

Not at all. I think Moyes will be here for 2 seasons irrespective and will get until at least December 2015 to show he can turn it around.

I believe he should have been sacked after the weekend when it became obvious that we can't achieve a top 4 finish with him at the helm.

A heavy defeat tomorrow will have absolutely no bearing on Moyes' future.

jem

Is anyone willing to admit they're hoping for a heavy defeat tomorrow night?

As we saw at Spurs, humiliating defeats against long term rivals can be the straw that breaks the camel's back for owners that have doubts about their manager. If we're 100% certain that Moyes won't succeed then it's all about the end game. Getting rid as soon as possible. A heavy defeat against Arsenal will help this process along. Especially in the context of recent humiliations. Short term pain, long term gain.

Conversely, beating a top three team away from home will definitely buy him a stay of execution. Possibly for quite some time. If the club is looking for signs of long-term improvement a result like that would carry a lot of weight.

So... Cards on the table. Who's rooting for the gooners?
What I'm really hoping for is that the Fulham debacle, and the attendant media storm about our prehistoric tactics, initiates a change in Moyes' approach, one that hopefully leads to a positive result at Arsenal. I don't think anyone will ever confuse Moyes with Guardiola, but I'm still not entirely convinced that the incessant crossing approach is what he truly believes in, rather than what he feels is expected of him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I never want United to lose, and the result of this match is irrelevant when it comes to assessing if Moyes should stay on as manager. Even if we win 100-0, Moyes is still the wrong man for the job. The sooner he's gone, the better. There is still time to salvage this season, but a change must be made.
Another piece of evidence for the johnmufc=scholesy's second account file.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I agree that he's looking bad right now but how about instead of everyone hoping they lose, hope that United win and it kick starts a reivival...
Who is?

This is the thing. No one is saying this. Despite the fact that Pogue &
MUJAC and you and all the people ridiculing the anti-Moyes brigade insisting on talking like they are, no one, or at least very few, actually is/are. Rendering this particular stick a rather fluffy one to beat with.

Red For Ever

Would you rather we win 1 - 0, and play the sort of uninspiring and dull football we have seen for most of this season.

OR

Would you rather lose 4 - 3 in a match where both sides play breathtaking football, and every player gives everything he has on the pitch.

Loon

:lol:
I hate losing, and I certainly don't want to get battered by Arsenal. Even if it happens, I doubt very much Moyes will get the sack.

He's the current United manager; I can't want to see him fail, but he's got to be capable of delivering more than he is or he's not going to be around this time next year.

Will Absolute

I've only read the first page of the thread where everyone answered No, so I'll enter a Minority Report.

If I thought a heavy defeat would contribute to David Moyes departure, my answer would be an unequivocal Yes. As Pogue concisely put it: short term pain, long term gain.

The reason I'm torn is twofold: 1) I've been hoping passionately for United to win every game for the last ten years, so it's difficult to turn that around emotionally. 2) I've got a horrible feeling the Powers are determined to stick with Dave sink or swim, and no amount of bad results, short of a total meltdown, will remove him before next January.