Who here wants us to lose to Chelsea?

Hammerfell

God no, we're in a bad enough position as it is. Why would you ever want United to lose? This isn't even a case of "I'm a better supporter than you", it's just nonsensical. Say we lose and LVG walks, are we even sure we'd go for Jose? Would he even come here? What if Giggs is put in charge? Would we even be able to recover after 4 league losses in a row? There are far too many variables to even begin to want us to lose this game, putting aside the frankly obvious madness of wanting the team you support to do badly. It's a complete non-starter.

SalfordRed1960

This is hardly your average situation, this is really is a situation that they needed to come out and quash all these rumours.

It's been put in our heads on a gradually increasing scale that the next game could well be his last if we lose, it's hardly healthy for fans who want rid of him, and let's face it most now do, they are feeding a mentality of wanting your own club to lose just so we can get it over and done with and move on, and they have now done exactly the same thing for the Chelsea game.

I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not say I want us to lose, but I can fully understand where those do are coming from. The club needed to publicly back him if they truly are trying to get him to stay, but they haven't.
Didn't LVG indicate that he had been phoned by the board and reassured. It doesn't have to be public. Just because it was a message some fans did not want to hear, doesn't mean we have to hear it from the horses mouth.
Fans have had little power in influencing the longevity of a manager. It is now business and if it hits the clubs finances they will take action.
I still stand by my other comments that if LVG is still here it is because the club feel they will meet their targets, targets which may be lower than fan expectations, hence the current uproar.

SalfordRed1960

What a load of nonsense.

Imagine this scenario. Going into the last game of the season our fate is sealed but Leicester, say, and Liverpool are neck and neck for the title but Leicester have a better goal difference and a win on the last day will guarantee them the title ahead of Liverpool. Leicesters opponents for that game ? Manchester United.

You're telling me you'd want us to beat Leicester and hand the title to Liverpool ? I think that would at least split the United fan base so to say that you are not a true fan if you ever wish a United loss is, as I say, nonsense.
Think you will find most fans will want to beat Leicester and hope Liverpool slip up a win-win.
Spurs fans were asked a similar question when we met them at OT and United would win the title if they beat Spurs. Most Spurs fans wanted to win and hoped Arsenal would screw up themselves, which if I remember right they did.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well that's a stupid exaggeration. Care to elaborate?
So you acknowledge it's a stupid question.

You're asking fans of a club whether they would pick getting top 4 or missing out on top 4. I wonder what they'd want.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The question is do the players want us to lose against Chelsea.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Tbh I think most fans simply don't want to have to address the situation or think about having to make such a choice.

It is the boards fault it has come to this. Quite frankly, a flukey win here.. if it was to lead to LVG staying and us missing out on top 4, you couldn't blame some to be reluctant to want us to win this game.

Wanting us to always lose because you dislike LVG is not justified.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
So you acknowledge it's a stupid question.

You're asking fans of a club whether they would pick getting top 4 or missing out on top 4. I wonder what they'd want.
I acknowledge you find it stupid, but I personally don't, otherwise I wouldn't have asked it.

So people would prefer us to finish top 4, of course. I think this is more likely with more Mourinho than with van Gaal. But the same people that want him sacked/gone are criticizing those who would take a loss in order for a new manager to come in. Seeing them as 'not real fans', even though in the two scenarios I proposed, we probably will finish higher up with Mourinho at the helm than van Gaal. If these people will accept a loss in order to take what's best for the club, I don't think that makes them any less of a fan than those wanting a win.

For the record, I'll be cheering us on later today :)

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
People on here love threads like these. It gives them chance to prove what top re.ds they are. ''feck no I don't want united to lose, I'd rather chop my bollocks off than have United lose...OP is just the worst ever''...etc, etc.

Bollocks. If it means a change of manager then I could quite happily see us lose today. Short-term loss for long-term gain. United winning today just gives the numpty in charge more time to make a mess of things.

Of course I'd still be happy if we score/win, that's just instinctive, but anybody with a brain can see why people might not hate the idea of us losing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I acknowledge you find it stupid, but I personally don't, otherwise I wouldn't have asked it.

So people would prefer us to finish top 4, of course. I think this is more likely with more Mourinho than with van Gaal. But the same people that want him sacked/gone are criticizing those who would take a loss in order for a new manager to come in. Seeing them as 'not real fans', even though in the two scenarios I proposed, we probably will finish higher up with Mourinho at the helm than van Gaal. If these people will accept a loss in order to take what's best for the club, I don't think that makes them any less of a fan than those wanting a win.

For the record, I'll be cheering us on later today :)
This post sums it up quite well:

God no, we're in a bad enough position as it is. Why would you ever want United to lose? This isn't even a case of "I'm a better supporter than you", it's just nonsensical. Say we lose and LVG walks, are we even sure we'd go for Jose? Would he even come here? What if Giggs is put in charge? Would we even be able to recover after 4 league losses in a row? There are far too many variables to even begin to want us to lose this game, putting aside the frankly obvious madness of wanting the team you support to do badly. It's a complete non-starter.
As said above, you'd basically be cheering another team on to beat your own team. No guarantees whether 1) LVG will be fired 2) Mourinho will be hired 3) Interim-manager Giggs will be hired instead 4) We'll make top 4 after falling further behind Spurs/Leicester. All you're left with is a loss that you (not you) seemingly loved happening, and no surety of what happens beyond.

If the caf was offered those two options, I'm pretty sure everyone barring the guys who are absolutely bonkers/detest Mourinho to crazy levels would go for the option with us finishing in the top 4.

As for the last bit, good man!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
People on here love threads like these. It gives them chance to prove what top re.ds they are. ''feck no I don't want united to lose, I'd rather chop my bollocks off than have United lose...OP is just the worst ever''...etc, etc.

Bollocks. If it means a change of manager then I could quite happily see us lose today. Short-term loss for long-term gain. United winning today just gives the numpty in charge more time to make a mess of things.

Of course I'd still be happy if we score/win, that's just instinctive, but anybody with a brain can see why people might not hate the idea of us losing.
Saying you don't want your team to lose is the measure of being a top re.d these days?

Times have changed.

Ixion

I could never want a team with John Terry in it to beat us.

Needham

New thread idea: Who among those who wanted us to lose at Stoke wants us to win against Chelsea?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We desperately need the points. Losing has no positives whatsoever.

Godfather

I certainly don't want us to lose. I want that strange feeling of winning a game back again.
That said, IF we lose today, I won't be as downbeat as usually with the hope of our coaching team getting the sack.

Nickosaur

That's good of you mate, thanks for your support!

Eyepopper

It's more the absolute condemnation of anybody who might think that us losing wouldn't be the worse thing that could happen.
Wait, Utd fans, on a Utd board, directing ire at people who want the club to equal our worst run in nearly 80 years, while simultaneously making reaching Europe more difficult and also helping one of our biggest rivals in the last ten years recover from a slump of epic proportions?

Yeah I'm still not sure I'd accuse them of having a superior attitude.

Fast forward to May and imagine us missing out on Europe by a point or two and ask yourself what impact that might have, for the club and for whoever will invariably replace LvG.

Todd

No, I don't want us to lose.

But for those who are saying they'd never root for United to lose under any circumstances...let's say it's the final day of a season. Liverpool are sitting 18th and we're playing a team like Norwich who are sitting 17th. Our place won't change either way depending on our result. You're telling me you wouldn't root for United to lose that match and thus send Liverpool down?

Eyepopper

I believe LvG will be gone regardless of the result today anyway, I just think both he and the club want to do it in a managed way to allow all parties to save some face, and I don't think the club want to be without a manager in the middle of the Xmas schedule, particularly when half the squad is on a sick note.

midnightmare

1. I never want my team to lose. Full stop. End of for this question. How can anyone claim to be a supporter and want his team to lose?
2. I don't think LvG is as terrible as he's being made out to be. Sure, we're in a terrible run of form and I agree that the manager being changed could have a positive (albeit short-term) effect on the squad. Still doesn't mean we should want to lose. I'd much prefer a dramatic turnaround in fortunes.
3. Do we really think any manager could have that radical an effect on the team? I really doubt it, to be honest. No manager can make Fellaini and Young transform into Messi and Ronaldo. Or impart speed to Mata or decision-making brilliance to Memphis or competence to Rooney. Jones won't suddenly turn into Cannavarro...
4. Who would we get? At the moment, Mourinho would be the only option. Great though he may be (or have been), would you really want to change now for Mourinho if (and of course I know it's a big "if") we could land Pep in the summer?

All said and done, I would much rather LvG got us through and out of this patch with some big wins (even unconvincing ones are fine. They all count) and have us bring in Pep Guardiola in the summer. If Pep is an option for the summer, it means Mourinho is no longer an immediate replacement option. It leaves us with precious few competent managers in the running as we'd be looking for an interim manager. Do you really think Giggs is a name that inspires confidence to take this squad and form (which he's had a big hand in building and guiding given his designation) and turn things around for the next 19 league (and additional Europa) games?

It's extremely short-termist to wish for an immediate mid-season change of manager. To my mind, it also rarely helps. Frankly even Liverpool aren't exactly winning every game they play despite the lift that Klopp's appointment was supposed to have brought in. New managers bring in new styles and methods and unless they're very similar to their predecessor, it takes some time for the team to grasp them and adapt. So, for immediate adaptation, you'd be looking at another LvG style manager - something I think you don't want to see - or looking at the team continuing to stumble for a while as they adapt - something which won't help us leap up the table.

Best case therefore remains to back the team, cheer them on and hope we can pull through this to the summer.

goin4glory

It's a nice notion but many people will want this, and it's the clubs fault for backing them into a corner with the stuff they're leaking to the press, they're almost encouraging this thought process amongst fans.
How has the club backed fans into a corner? What have they leaked which I've apparently missed?

Whoever says yes should be banned.
All for this.

God these threads are pathetic.
It really is, the amount of "fans" who happily turn their backs on the club when they don't get their way is scary. There's already a number of fans who have said they'll find it hard to follow United if Mourinho get's the job is another example.

For the record I would like to see the back of LVG but I also have enough common sense to realise I could be wrong and he might turn it around. Fans wanted SAF sacked during his early years and even in the early 00's when we dropped off many were calling for his head "old" "past it" "tactical dinosaur" were thrown about.

I also don't want Giggs as United manager but will support him completely if he get's the job unlike a large number on here who will no doubt throw toys from the pram at the first sign of adversity he faces.

Revan

Assumptionman
Pep, Simeone, Larry White etc. There more managers out there than just the main ones being touted.
Pep seems to be going to City, Larry White has no reason to leave PSG for United and Simeone is actually even more defensive than Mourinho, and his team plays more thugish and cnutish than a Mourinho-lead team ever did. In addition, it looks that he isn't available.

It is quite a shame if we go for a no-name manager in the same year when all of Pep, Ancelotti, Mourinho and Klopp have changed clubs. A Pochetino might be nice (assuming that he's available, which he likely isn't, especially if they reach UCL and we don't) but he is very unproven at this level. He would definitely be my favorite no big-name manager though. Conte might be an another good option.

Jerch

Yes because it worked out against Stoke, oh no it didn't he is still there. I personally think he is off regardless of the result and he is still here just because it is 48 between Stoke and Chelsea game. But I would be perfectly happy if we win all games till the rest of the season and LVG stays if we are talking about it.

Revan

Assumptionman
To answer the thread question, if a lose guaranteed Van Gaal getting sacked immediately and Mourinho replacing him, I would take it. But, I don't think that it does (unless the board are stupid), so I hope we'll win.

Regardless, I can't see us finishing in top 4 this season with LVG in charge so I don't bother anyway. At the moment it is a broken team, stripped of any confidence and a result won't change anything IMO. Best case scenario is Van Gaal to both win and retire today.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Think you will find most fans will want to beat Leicester and hope Liverpool slip up a win-win.
Spurs fans were asked a similar question when we met them at OT and United would win the title if they beat Spurs. Most Spurs fans wanted to win and hoped Arsenal would screw up themselves, which if I remember right they did.
Not me. I'd dress up in the Leicester kit and sing all their songs and celebrate our loss and another missed attempt for Liverpool with glee. I was happy enough to lose to City in 13/14 as well. Basically, feck Liverpool.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
What a scummy thread! And we have the cheek to take the piss out of the other fans forums this is worse and much more embarrassing than anything we have seen on RAWK or any of the others.

MUFC

Sigma

I don't think wanting us too lose is necessarily a bad thing. It's taking one step back to go 2 steps forward. We will most likely be better off without LVG thus picking up more points and the only way LVG will go is if we lose to Chelsea (according to reports).

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
Wait, Utd fans, on a Utd board, directing ire at people who want the club to equal our worst run in nearly 80 years, while simultaneously making reaching Europe more difficult and also helping one of our biggest rivals in the last ten years recover from a slump of epic proportions?

Yeah I'm still not sure I'd accuse them of having a superior attitude.

Fast forward to May and imagine us missing out on Europe by a point or two and ask yourself what impact that might have, for the club and for whoever will invariably replace LvG.
It's not about all that. It's about wanting van Gaal as far away from the club as possible and as quickly as possible. The quickest way to achieve that is for us to lose. Three points today will almost certainly buy him more time but if we lose then I think he'll be gone. You might think the board wouldn't be that fickle, but I genuinely think they would.

The three points we'd miss out on with a loss would quickly be regained from the boost of having a new manager. Fair enough if you disagree, but that courtesy isn't one that is often reciprocated on here. I'm not firmly on either side of the fence, I can see points from both sides of the argument. My issue is with those who just can not fecking wait to show how much of a great fan they are by slagging those who might see the glaring positive from what could arise from us losing today.

Usually I'd happily flog a dead horse for a good while longer, but you're a good, funny fecker of a poster so I'll save my poison for another day and leave it at that.

SalfordRed1960

Not me. I'd dress up in the Leicester kit and sing all their songs and celebrate our loss and another missed attempt for Liverpool with glee. I was happy enough to lose to City in 13/14 as well. Basically, feck Liverpool.
And we took the piss out of Stoke and Sunderland fans. Beggars belief. And YES feck Liverpool, but celebrating a loss of your own team is not really what supporting is all about.

Smores

I imagine those saying under no circumstances, not in a million years, not if a gun was held against their grans head and even if LvG kicked their dog would change their tune if the club announced that a loss would see LvG out and Pep in immediately.

If the answer is still no then there really shouldn't be such calls for LvGs head.