Who is our third best player?

Denis' cuff

I still think DDG is a top goalkeeper. He's our second best player, imo.

The problem with our squad is that we have many good players, but only 2 great(Bruno and DDG probably). It's hard to pick number 3 and 4, but for the wrong reasons. You could make an argument for AWB, Shaw, Maguire, Fred, Pogba, Martial and Rashford. The answer is far from clear cut.
second best keeper.

Redldn22

It's funny the way so many United fans are willing to forget large chunks of the season, and last, for Shaw.

I don't get it. The Spurs game was this season. His first assist came in like what, December? 0 assists last season. This guys our second best player?

Over Rashford who has 18 goals and 10 assists?

Insane.

Stacks

I do not think that Bruno has been our best player this season. I'd give the top spot to Luke Shaw. Second place would be a toss between several players, like Bruno, Deano, Maguire and maybe Pogba.
Our defence is one of the highest conceders in the league and sunk 3 vs PSG and RB. no way Harry ahead of Bruno when our defence is the least reliable part of our team. Bruno goal contributions is one of the main reasons we are even 2nd so it certainly ain't cos of our defence. People have memories of a goldfish. Who is Deano?

Stacks

It's funny the way so many United fans are willing to forget large chunks of the season, and last, for Shaw.

I don't get it. The Spurs game was this season. His first assist came in like what, December? 0 assists last season. This guys our second best player?

Over Rashford who has 18 goals and 10 assists?

Insane.
Goal contributions aren't valued here. Its like a basketball player who only gets buckets. if he doesn't dribble, pass and run plays then he isn't as valuable as players who defend and run plays. United fans don't value the most important aspect of football.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Jesus. So how did we crash out of the champions league with such a team for of all stars? Ole must really suck aye?
Because in a knock out competition mistakes are costly. We f*cked up against Istanbul Basakshir. One off results happen sometimes regardless of how good you are. But I get it...you're a United "supporter" who wants to talk sh*te about the club and manager you support.....yawn

romufc

Pogba has never had that? Really. How many times has Bruno lost the ball

When was the last time Bruno had a very good game? Last 10 games I remember he was average, misplacing tons of passes. He is probably knackered, but I do not remember when was the last time he had a fantastic performance. If I was to choose between Pogba and Bruno based on their performances thus far this year, I'd pick Pogba. If I was to choose a player by ability, I'd pick Pogba. If I was to choose a player by determination and drive, I'd pick Bruno. How many top teams would pick Bruno over Pogba? Last season Bruno was by far our best player, while this season he is either totally exhausted or other teams have learnt how to play against him. As productive he has been, he loses the ball just as much. Him, Fred and Rashford are probably the 3 most wasteful players of ours.
That says alot about the player, when you can be average for 1/3 of the games and be top 3 in G/A in the PL.

Losing the ball alot doesn't make you a bad player, he just doesn't care what people like you think, he wants to win and create / score chances not please fans like you who only care about pass accuracy.

Also he had a brilliant game against Real Sociedad which was 3/4 games ago.

I would say almost every other top team would pick Bruno over Pogba. I ask people who support other clubs, they would have Bruno over Pogba all day.

Pogba has had half a dozen good performances and you would pick him, whilst Bruno has got all these goals and assists?

So let me ask you, do you want to win or look good only?

Denis' cuff

1 Bruno by a country mile
2 on current form Shaw (otherwise, probably Rashy)
3 Rashy/Maguire (both excellent/inconsistent)

poggers could be no.2 (I don’t mean the product of bowel movements, although...) if he could be arsed

slored1

My top 5 list would look something like:
1. Fernandes
2. Pogba
3. Rashford
4. Shaw
5. Cavani

with a large gap to the next best player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A month or two ago no one would have had shaw in any list. Its only since Telles arrived that Shaw has actually shown up and started to play like the form he showed at Southampton.

So is this thread best players based on form or skill? Or based on necessity and need?

If its based on necessity and need then Bruno, Maguire and Fred/Mctominay are essential to how we play.

If its based on skill then Bruno, Pogba, DVB etc meet that criteria.

If its based on form then Bruno, Shaw, Fred make the critieria.

The thread title is too vague imho.
He's miles better than his Southampton form which was impressive considering his age and the team he was playing in. Plus I think he either won or was up for out POTY just two seasons back so Shaw is up there among our best over the last few seasons whether it's based on talent or peformances. Everytime he gets injured people resort to the same lame calls of him being mediocre or something as it's a narrative.

amolbhatia50k

My top 5 list would look something like:
1. Fernandes
2. Pogba
3. Rashford
4. Shaw
5. Cavani

with a large gap to the next best player.
Cavani has gotten a few good goals but I'm not even convinced he's better than Martial let alone there being a large gap between him and the likes of Martial, Maguire, AWB etc I mean, he's not an automatic starter for us. He's not produced the level that Martial did last season. He doesn't play as consider as our back 4 does. I think you are overrating him a tad.

dinostar77

He's miles better than his Southampton form which was impressive considering his age and the team he was playing in. Plus I think he either won or was up for out POTY just two seasons back so Shaw is up there among our best over the last few seasons whether it's based on talent or peformances. Everytime he gets injured people resort to the same lame calls of him being mediocre or something as it's a narrative.
Shaw performances definitely improved once Telles arrived. Telles wouldnt have arrived if Utd didnt have some doubts about Shaw as plenty of reputable journalists were reporting. Shaw's taken on the challenge and improved this season. Good on him. He's been a very frustrating player to watch before this season.

K Stand Knut

No mention of McTominay says it all to me.

Miles better at what is expected of him than anyone bar maybe Bruno.with consistency too

Most important player to us, bar none, IMO.

amolbhatia50k

Shaw performances definitely improved once Telles arrived. Telles wouldnt have arrived if Utd didnt have some doubts about Shaw as plenty of reputable journalists were reporting. Shaw's taken on the challenge and improved this season. Good on him. He's been a very frustrating player to watch before this season.
He's gone up a level without doubt but for me he's been very good for awhile. Everyone has blips here and there in this team, it's not like Rashford, Pogba etc are consistently excellent either.

slored1

Cavani has gotten a few good goals but I'm not even convinced he's better than Martial let alone there being a large gap between him and the likes of Martial, Maguire, AWB etc I mean, he's not an automatic starter for us. He's not produced the level that Martial did last season. He doesn't play as consider as our back 4 does. I think you are overrating him a tad.
I think if he weren't injured as often, he would have scored 15 or more goals already. He's been a bit unlucky with the stupid ban and the initial quarantine too and with Ole's persistence at the start of the season to start Martial. He certainly belongs in the top 5 for me.

Skills

Snitch
The guys on our team who could play for any team in the world are Bruno, Rashford, Maguire, Shaw and Pogba. Take your pick for what order they come in...
Maguire can't/won't play for any team in the world.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
On current form it's Shaw and Maguire. Third probably McTominay or Bruno.

Alfie092

Shaw's there as well if you take into account the position. He's always had the ability to be one of the best fullbacks in the world, he just struggled with getting injured every time he started really showing it, and of course his final ball into the box was poor. Otherwise he's always had arguably the best first touch in the team, one of the best short-passers, ability to build play out from the back, fast, strong, good in the air, etc. Now that he's added the final ball and has had a consistent run without injury (long may it continue) it's no surprise that he's become so good.
Yeah I fully agree! I would put Shaw in my top 5 players at the club in terms of ability. I was always a fan of him when he first came and he was probably my favourite player at the club just before his devastating leg break as I felt he was our best performing player at the time during the season. But since then until really this season he hadn't hit the heights his true potential can really show. Whether that was due to fear from the injury that he couldn't go at it 100%, the consistent injuries he was getting and Mourinho not having faith in him must have really shot his confidence.

I just hope this form of his is not short-term and he can show it for at least the next 3-4 years!

Water Melon

That says alot about the player, when you can be average for 1/3 of the games and be top 3 in G/A in the PL.

Losing the ball alot doesn't make you a bad player, he just doesn't care what people like you think, he wants to win and create / score chances not please fans like you who only care about pass accuracy.

Also he had a brilliant game against Real Sociedad which was 3/4 games ago.

I would say almost every other top team would pick Bruno over Pogba. I ask people who support other clubs, they would have Bruno over Pogba all day.

Pogba has had half a dozen good performances and you would pick him, whilst Bruno has got all these goals and assists?

So let me ask you, do you want to win or look good only?
Before you end up in the well deserved ignore list, let me break it down to you. First of all, you need to get off your fecking high horse. When it comes to football let alone professional one, I doubt you have one tenth of my experience. Have you ever kicked a ball in any pro league? Have you ever attended any tactical session? Have you ever been coached in football? My bet would be a resounding No. So, now, it is quite clear that you have absolutely no fecking idea about fans like me as you put it. So feck off. From my experience both theoretical and practical, Bruno has has a huge decline this season. If I was to pick a fit Pogba or fit Bruno of this season, 7 times out of 10 I would pick Pogba. Now, to show your supreme idiocy and arrogance, I can tell you that 7-8 managers of top flight leagues in their countries (like Turkey, Russia, and a couple of NT managers) said they would pick Pogba over Bruno. Now, after we have established you have sweet fook all of any systematic knowledge about the game, it is time to welcome you to my ignore list. Stick your arrogance and condescending stupidity up your arse.

romufc

Before you end up in the well deserved ignore list, let me break it down to you. First of all, you need to get off your fecking high horse. When it comes to football let alone professional one, I doubt you have one tenth of my experience. Have you ever kicked a ball in any pro league? Have you ever attended any tactical session? Have you ever been coached in football? My bet would be a resounding No. So, now, it is quite clear that you have absolutely no fecking idea about fans like me as you put it. So feck off. From my experience both theoretical and practical, Bruno has has a huge decline this season. If I was to pick a fit Pogba or fit Bruno of this season, 7 times out of 10 I would pick Pogba. Now, to show your supreme idiocy and arrogance, I can tell you that 7-8 managers of top flight leagues in their countries (like Turkey, Russia, and a couple of NT managers) said they would pick Pogba over Bruno. Now, after we have established you have sweet fook all of any systematic knowledge about the game, it is time to welcome you to my ignore list.

I couldn't give any fecks if I end up on your ignore list. Just because someone does not share your opinion, you ignore, tells me all I need to know about you and you're so called experience.

I don't actually care how much experience or tactical knowledge you have, the FACT is that the manager in charge of MANCHESTER UNITED, plays BRUNO in his favoured position AHEAD of POGBA.

Unless you are implying that Carrick, Phelan, Ole, McKenna have less coaching / tactical knowledge than you?

Well who gives a shit what you pick, you are on a fan forum not managing a prem team.

Wow! managers from Turkey, Russia said they would rather Pogba, must mean the best managers want him too.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Bruno’s our most important player. I don’t think he’s our best player.

That being said there’s not enough consistency from other contenders and that needs addressing. Bruno isn’t consistent, his number are. Rashford isn’t but his numbers are respectable. Everyone else is reasonably inconsistent with poor numbers. Shaw, McT, Maguire, AWB are probably our most consistent.

Stacks

Because in a knock out competition mistakes are costly. We f*cked up against Istanbul Basakshir. One off results happen sometimes regardless of how good you are. But I get it...you're a United "supporter" who wants to talk sh*te about the club and manager you support.....yawn
We didn't just lose to them though. We needed 1 point from last 2 games and conceded 6 in them due to one off mistakes????

Dante

Average bang
Bruno
Rashford
Maguire/Shaw

Pogba's an incredible player on paper. Less so in real life. Players like Greenwood and Cavani would be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No mention of McTominay says it all to me.

Miles better at what is expected of him than anyone bar maybe Bruno.with consistency too

Most important player to us, bar none, IMO.
McTominay and Bruno are both inconsistent though. Although with Bruno, it’s harder to define - because it becomes clear as to him being on is when he ‘plays well’ or when he contributes to a goal. They are quite different. His performance threads often start with ‘even when not playing well, he contributes’. Hard to work out whether such a game would be later filed in the good performance or bad performance pile.

As for Scott, he obviously doesn’t match Bruno for goal contributions, and simply plays poorly, by any metric, in spells, and then good in spells. Basically ‘inconsistent’.

In terms of ‘consistency’ - Shaw and Fred are the most consistent by a mile. The likes of Rashford, McTominay, Pogba, Bruno all have the same amount of poor games as each other. Obviously - the forward players are more likely to contribute to a goal in such performances than those who often don’t contribute to goals even in their best games.

McTominay is no more important to us than Fred - and is evidenced by him being no more likely to start a football match for us than Fred. They either start together, or if one starts, often a toss up.

Stacks

Bruno
Rashford
Maguire/Shaw

Pogba's an incredible player on paper. Less so in real life. Players like Greenwood and Cavani would be ahead of him in the pecking order.
pardon?? What has Cavani and Greenwood done better than Pogba? Pogba was helped us win silverware and Greenwood is on 2 league goals and Cavani is fine as a rotational stand in player. Ahead of Pogba? good golly

K Stand Knut

McTominay and Bruno are both inconsistent though. Although with Bruno, it’s harder to define - because it becomes clear as to him being on is when he ‘plays well’ or when he contributes to a goal. They are quite different. His performance threads often start with ‘even when not playing well, he contributes’. Hard to work out whether such a game would be later filed in the good performance or bad performance pile.

As for Scott, he obviously doesn’t match Bruno for goal contributions, and simply plays poorly, by any metric, in spells, and then good in spells. Basically ‘inconsistent’.

In terms of ‘consistency’ - Shaw and Fred are the most consistent by a mile. The likes of Rashford, McTominay, Pogba, Bruno all have the same amount of poor games as each other. Obviously - the forward players are more likely to contribute to a goal in such performances than those who often don’t contribute to goals even in their best games.

McTominay is no more important to us than Fred - and is evidenced by him being no more likely to start a football match for us than Fred. They either start together, or if one starts, often a toss up.
I disagree about McTominay and his inconsistency. I think he is as consistent as anyone in the squad.

Fred starting as the sole CM over McTominay is one of the few things that I tear my hair out about Ole. McTominay should start every game he is fit enough to, whether that be with Fred or as the sole deep(er) lying midfielder. He has constantly shown that he is a bigger threat than Fred all over the pitch

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
1. Bruno
2. Shaw

3. Pogba/Rashford/Maguire