Who replaces Ten Hag?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
This is not true. Mourinho won the league a year before we got him. He had been fired for I think 6 months by the time we had got him because he'd fallen out with his Chelsea team who were in the bottom half by the time he left. The cracks started to show during his last season at Madrid when he'd fallen out with all the players there too.
Exactly, the best we could hope for would be another 2 year boom bust cycle only at this stage without so much boom. :(

croadyman

Quite picky, half those managers would do a good job. Zidane and Ancelotti have zero chance. Carrick or McKenna could be like Solskjaer. Not against it completely but a gamble and it would be years until they got the required experience.
Yeah very picky indeed,completely agree about Potter but others deserve consideration

jem

It will never happen, but I'd take Emery in a heartbeat. De Zerbi would be risky but exciting. I wouldn't go anywhere near Potter.

jem

God no. We all saw how Ancelotti fared at Everton. He needs a good structure and world class players to succeed. Plus he's 400 years old.

We need a project now, something we're going to stick with long term both on & off the pitch. Too many of our fans want success NOW. Doesn't work like that.
I agree - I've always thought Ancelotti is a touch overrated, and certainly not the man to lay down foundations for a long-term project.

RedUnited86

Who's the best manager in the world in the women's game? I'm sure they'd be an improvement.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Potter would be in a job now if anyone with any clue at all rated him.

Chumpsbechumps

This is not true. Mourinho won the league a year before we got him. He had been fired for I think 6 months by the time we had got him because he'd fallen out with his Chelsea team who were in the bottom half by the time he left. The cracks started to show during his last season at Madrid when he'd fallen out with all the players there too.
Jesus, he won leagues at both those clubs, that’s such a flimsy semantics way to make your point.

Chumpsbechumps

Exactly, the best we could hope for would be another 2 year boom bust cycle only at this stage without so much boom. :(
He got us second and we got him Fred and a youthful Dalot to make up 20 points on city. We will never know what he could of done because the club didn’t back him or the team that season.

Plant0x84

He got us second and we got him Fred and a youthful Dalot to make up 20 points on city. We will never know what he could of done because the club didn’t back him or the team that season.
He asked for Fred, and was raving about Dalot being the best young fullback in Europe or some such tripe. He was fully backed, and threw his toys out of the pram when he was told he wasn’t getting Maguire.

Irwin99

He asked for Fred, and was raving about Dalot being the best young fullback in Europe or some such tripe. He was fully backed, and threw his toys out of the pram when he was told he wasn’t getting Maguire.
I do remember Jose being enthusiastic about Dalot bu I very much doubt that he wanted Fred: i always got the impression the board said it was Fred or no one and Jose had to deal with it. Jose never rated him. It's similar with Ole and Donny VdB, that was not an Ole signing. Some of LvG's signings were, in his own words, "seventh choice" on his list

Chumpsbechumps

Ah would you feck off with that nonsense, Fred and Dalot to make up 20 points, that’s just stupid to even suggest it.

Chumpsbechumps

I do remember Jose being enthusiastic about Dalot bu I very much doubt that he wanted Fred: i always got the impression the board said it was Fred or no one and Jose had to deal with it. Jose never rated him. It's similar with Ole and Donny VdB, that was not an Ole signing. Some of LvG's signings were, in his own words, "seventh choice" on his list
whether he wanted Fred or not is questionable but he did say in future years that to buy Fred we had to also buy a world class centre back aswell.

Regardless, that was some pathetic transfer window, Pep wouldn’t even get a pathetic window like that after winning the treble!

Plant0x84

whether he wanted Fred or not is questionable but he did say in future years that to buy Fred we had to also buy a world class centre back aswell.

Regardless, that was some pathetic transfer window, Pep wouldn’t even get a pathetic window like that after winning the treble!
Pep doesn’t work for the fecking Glazers, nor would he!
Jose had been bought Bailly and Lindelof. When he asked for Maguire he as rightly told to train and utilise the players he already had and his head exploded. He spent the rest of the season sabotaging the team and himself.

Phil Osophy

Mourinho wasn't backed that summer but even if he was he would have done nothing anyway. The kind of players he asked for wouldn't have shortened the breach with City. It was people like Perisic, Arnautovic, Boateng and some of them were expensive back then. +50M for Perisic would have been a bad piece of business.

By the way De Gea (who sustained the team the previous season) came back mentally broken from the World Cup after his terrible performances with Spain. Lukaku came back looking fat and looked clumsy all season. Mourinho was toxic and spent the year spreading poison all around the club. Since that defeat against Sevilla in the CL he mocked us and our history first, also labelled the players as mediocre to excuse himself, the open war with Pogba who was an influential player and the dressing room got divided.

It was the typical 3rd season from Mourinho. Adding some overpaid dross on the top of it wouldn't have solved anything.

Chumpsbechumps

Pep doesn’t work for the fecking Glazers, nor would he!
Jose had been bought Bailly and Lindelof. When he asked for Maguire he as rightly told to train and utilise the players he already had and his head exploded. He spent the rest of the season sabotaging the team and himself.
So “being backed” in your view is a club buying manager any players, got it.

Chumpsbechumps

Mourinho wasn't backed that summer but even if he was he would have done nothing anyway. The kind of players he asked for wouldn't have shortened the breach with City. It was people like Perisic, Arnautovic, Boateng and some of them were expensive back then. +50M for Perisic would have been a bad piece of business.

By the way De Gea (who sustained the team the previous season) came back mentally broken from the World Cup after his terrible performances with Spain. Lukaku came back looking fat and looked clumsy all season. Mourinho was toxic and spent the year spreading poison all around the club. Since that defeat against Sevilla in the CL he mocked us and our history first, also labelled the players as mediocre to excuse himself, the open war with Pogba who was an influential player and the dressing room got divided.

It was the typical 3rd season from Mourinho. Adding some overpaid dross on the top of it wouldn't have solved anything.
So what was the point in not backing Jose and keeping him on?

You see, some of you seem to have this idea that focusing all on managers will get to the very core of our issues. At the same time you will paper over things you admit, like our club not supporting our manager or our team to get better, as if “well the manager was gonna fail anyways” is a rational way of looking at it!

Fuppin hell like.

putzmcgee123

So “being backed” in your view is a club buying manager any players, got it.
A little too much backing of ten Hag, then. I'm a huge fan of Jose. At the same time, backing the manager does not mean allowing him unchecked power to make transfers. That's how you end up with our last 2 summers.

AshRK

Potter would be a disaster.

My preference would be either De Zerbi, McKenna or Nagelsman. But under this structure none will work.

Amcelotti or Conte would be meh, managers who could do a decent job for a season and then we will be back to square one.

Zidane is not coming.

Chumpsbechumps

A little too much backing of ten Hag, then. I'm a huge fan of Jose. At the same time, backing the manager does not mean allowing him unchecked power to make transfers. That's how you end up with our last 2 summers.
I don’t think “backing a manager” needs to be a club signing exactly who they want, it’s getting them players to make the squad stronger. You shook always look to make your squad stronger, regardless of manager.

You can undermine a manager and a team by not improving them. Sure Rooney made a lot of noises about his concerns about Uniteds ambitions, I’d say this happens a lot, particularly at our club.

ti vu

Stop being so bloody defensive. SAF was the greatest manager of all time. An absolute legend in his own lifetime - there is no lack of respect toward him, and it’s not disrespectful to think he might struggle too in the present situation.
That opinion isn’t a reflection of Sir Alex’s methods or abilities, but I’m not sure the modern players would take to his methods. I’m fairly confident he would lose his rag with many of them and we’d end up with multiple Sancho situations.
Thing is, I agree Erik takes his share of the blame for tactical issues and transfer decisions. I also believe we should be performing better than we are. But I also think swapping DDG for Onana and failing to buy an experienced striker has weakened our squad. I also think we are missing Fred and his energy in the middle of the park. His tenacity and firefighting covered up a lot of other players issues I think.
That doesn’t change the fact that there is no need for stupid petty labels and name calling. All it achieves is division.
You should stop talking bs.

Was 2010 not modern to 1980 (when SAF won the first major title with Aberdeen)? All modern football begins in 2016 in your own mind? You talk as if where SAF showed zero adaption on his man management as players character profile changed in all those decades.

You people made it out as if Sancho was that big of an issue when it was easily solved with backing from the club to remove Sancho from the squad. Eric Cantona suspension after kungfu kick, RVN fighting Ronaldo, Ronaldo-Rooney World Cup 2006 saga, Beckham post 98 World Cup witch hunt, Rio missed drug test suspension, Sheringham and Andy Cole didn't see eye to eye for years even when playing for us, Yorke's party animal and his bad influence but close friendship to Andy Cole, Paul Ince being unstable bastard, Giggs personal lifestyle was always questionable even as a young players, challenging the norm of drinking culture... You thought it was easy to just replace those players, shielding them off from the spotlight all while arriving at good solutions? A manager who stopped drinking culture at the club against the toleration at other top clubs and in public eyes at the time was unchallenged, easier than dealing with Sancho. If Sancho who turned in bad training effort because he was up late playing video game, hungover players train well is fantasy. Fixing the culture doesn't mean there was no odd individuals bringing problem to table in later time. Darron Gibson got sold for being known as a drunktard with bad influence with his mate, Rooney. And Rooney was on bad list, and ready to be chopped. Never considered as captain material.

I told you to get off your high horse. If you have ability to fix the fan base division, then you shouldn't have been here arguing with internet nobody. As long as we don't violate forum rules, it's free for all to have different opinion, even thinking other's opinion as rubbish as suggesting a deluded one minded thinking like RAWK. It's quite exergerating to think this fanbase is that bad. Just look at Ajax this season with all the fan issue when thing not going their way.

putzmcgee123

I don’t think “backing a manager” needs to be a club signing exactly who they want, it’s getting them players to make the squad stronger. You shook always look to make your squad stronger, regardless of manager.

You can undermine a manager and a team by not improving them. Sure Rooney made a lot of noises about his concerns about Uniteds ambitions, I’d say this happens a lot, particularly at our club.
Absolutely agreed. Jose got a fair bit wrong at the end, but he didn't get the help he needed from above to close the gap on Baldie.

I just get a chuckle out of each person's idea of backing the manager. In particular, pundits like Carragher and Micah Richards always point to the financial totals spent by the likes of Ole and ten Hag on bringing in "their" players to suggest the manager was adequately backed, but back when Jose was around and Gary pointed out there is no one at the club with the credentials or know-how on player evaluations to veto Mourinho, they were not having it. Regardless of the money spent, no manager at Manchester United can be properly backed until they fix their hierarchy.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But under this structure none will work.
Don't most people - finally - agree on this?

They should, anyway.

Also: seeing people calling Ancelotti "overrated" while at the same time wanting Zidane as our next manager...feckin' hell.

Phil Osophy

So what was the point in not backing Jose and keeping him on?

You see, some of you seem to have this idea that focusing all on managers will get to the very core of our issues. At the same time you will paper over things you admit, like our club not supporting our manager or our team to get better, as if “well the manager was gonna fail anyways” is a rational way of looking at it!

Fuppin hell like.
I'm not defending the board, just telling you the outcome if he was given those players he wanted. It's not difficult to predict what would have happened: Exactly the same.

But I agree with what you say. If you sign a short term oriented manager you have to take short term measures. If at some point they didn't believe in Mourinho and his vision anymore they should have parted ways.

I guess they lacked the balls to sack a manager right after finishing 2nd, so they waited until everything exploded. The way they approached that transfer market was very telling.

aeh1991

If we want Potter to take over, we can also just sign McKenna or Carrick imo. Promising manager but he already failed at Chelsea and I'm not a fan of his style (I genuinely think he would not suit us at all). If we sack Ten Hag, we'd need a really good, experienced manager or at least someone whose potential is huge. At least the De Zerbi, Emery, Alonso sort of category.

They_Always_Score

Not sure if he's been mentioned already but how about Ruud in as caretaker?

He did relatively well at PSV without much backing.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
If the Ineos team decide to let go of Ten Hag in the summer…then, given the structures and personnel they are putting in place behind the scenes, the stand out candidate from the names mentioned is surely De Zerbi. Having him also means there’s a strong chance of getting players like Ferguson and Gilmour to follow suit, which would be a significant added bonus to his appointment.

Last edited:

Plant0x84

You should stop talking bs.

Was 2010 not modern to 1980 (when SAF won the first major title with Aberdeen)? All modern football begins in 2016 in your own mind? You talk as if where SAF showed zero adaption on his man management as players character profile changed in all those decades.

You people made it out as if Sancho was that big of an issue when it was easily solved with backing from the club to remove Sancho from the squad. Eric Cantona suspension after kungfu kick, RVN fighting Ronaldo, Ronaldo-Rooney World Cup 2006 saga, Beckham post 98 World Cup witch hunt, Rio missed drug test suspension, Sheringham and Andy Cole didn't see eye to eye for years even when playing for us, Yorke's party animal and his bad influence but close friendship to Andy Cole, Paul Ince being unstable bastard, Giggs personal lifestyle was always questionable even as a young players, challenging the norm of drinking culture... You thought it was easy to just replace those players, shielding them off from the spotlight all while arriving at good solutions? A manager who stopped drinking culture at the club against the toleration at other top clubs and in public eyes at the time was unchallenged, easier than dealing with Sancho. If Sancho who turned in bad training effort because he was up late playing video game, hungover players train well is fantasy. Fixing the culture doesn't mean there was no odd individuals bringing problem to table in later time. Darron Gibson got sold for being known as a drunktard with bad influence with his mate, Rooney. And Rooney was on bad list, and ready to be chopped. Never considered as captain material.

I told you to get off your high horse. If you have ability to fix the fan base division, then you shouldn't have been here arguing with internet nobody. As long as we don't violate forum rules, it's free for all to have different opinion, even thinking other's opinion as rubbish as suggesting a deluded one minded thinking like RAWK. It's quite exergerating to think this fanbase is that bad. Just look at Ajax this season with all the fan issue when thing not going their way.
So you open your post with ‘stop talking bs..’ and then the rest of this post happened. :lol:

An opinion is an opinion. It differs from person to person and that’s fine and well. My original point still stands. Stop name calling, it’s childish. It doesn’t advance the conversation, especially when we are all here for the same reason.

C'est Moi Cantona

Not sure if he's been mentioned already but how about Ruud in as caretaker?

He did relatively well at PSV without much backing.
I think any caretaker who doesn't have the credentials/isn't capable of becoming a long term manager is a dangerous thing for us to do.

I know it's been said a hundred times, but if we're looking at replacing Ten Hag in the summer then we might as well just keep him until then.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If we want Potter to take over, we can also just sign McKenna or Carrick imo. Promising manager but he already failed at Chelsea and I'm not a fan of his style (I genuinely think he would not suit us at all). If we sack Ten Hag, we'd need a really good, experienced manager or at least someone whose potential is huge. At least the De Zerbi, Emery, Alonso sort of category.
The daft thing with these conversations is that people write off Potter and then say they'd like Emery. Don't get me wrong, both good coaches, but if you had this conversation after Emery had been sacked by Arsenal then you'd be saying the same about him as you are Potter.

The fact is that managers can fail in a job for multiple reasons, but they could still go somewhere else and click with the players and the club, and suddenly they're back in business.

Chumpsbechumps

Absolutely agreed. Jose got a fair bit wrong at the end, but he didn't get the help he needed from above to close the gap on Baldie.

I just get a chuckle out of each person's idea of backing the manager. In particular, pundits like Carragher and Micah Richards always point to the financial totals spent by the likes of Ole and ten Hag on bringing in "their" players to suggest the manager was adequately backed, but back when Jose was around and Gary pointed out there is no one at the club with the credentials or know-how on player evaluations to veto Mourinho, they were not having it. Regardless of the money spent, no manager at Manchester United can be properly backed until they fix their hierarchy.
Yep

He got the players he wanted.
No. He didn’t, he got what he got.

Gavinb33

Carlo Aneclotti will be 65 years old by the time he could be our manager the likelihood is you'll get maybe 1 or 2 at most years where he is able to do a job as demanding as United and then what back to square one

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Carlo Aneclotti will be 65 years old by the time he could be our manager the likelihood is you'll get maybe 1 or 2 at most years where he is able to do a job as demanding as United and then what back to square one
It might be ideal though really as it would give us 2 years to assess other managers, the likes of De Zerbi, Amorim and maybe even McKenna and Carrick.

wolvored

The daft thing with these conversations is that people write off Potter and then say they'd like Emery. Don't get me wrong, both good coaches, but if you had this conversation after Emery had been sacked by Arsenal then you'd be saying the same about him as you are Potter.

The fact is that managers can fail in a job for multiple reasons, but they could still go somewhere else and click with the players and the club, and suddenly they're back in business.
Good post. Say Emery didnt win aanother game gets sacked end of season, how many would be crowing for him. Every manager can feck up from time to time. We all wanted TH and in August couldnt wait to see if we were capable of challenging this season. If you had said then in 3/4 months time a load of fans will be after his head, they would have thought you had gone raving mad. Potter the same. At Brighton he was talked about in the same terms as De Zerbi now.