Who replaces Ten Hag?

Redstain

I think many are looking in the wrong direction for a manager when what United have lacked most these last ten years is a quality coach. I don't think the impetus should be on what a manager has achieved but what they bring to the first team. As it stands arguably De Zirbi brings more dynamics to the first team than what EtH does at this current moment in time. This isn't suggestive of Eth leaving but I don't think he will last the season.

Bottom line is the rhetoric is always the same, manager comes in plays below average football, fans use the manager needing players like it significantly raises the managers capabilities, more NET spend and the teams performance doesn't reflect the level of investment to match. Coach should be the first and only priority moving forward manager credentials is of far less significance. It's actually something the club hasn't done as EtH hasn't showed any of the traits displayed at Ajax that many thought were deliverables for United.

It's another reason why there's no comparison with United's progression to any of Arteta's development because Arsenal fundamentally are a brilliantly coached team. I'm struggling to think of a full 90 minute period this team has played well consistently, for much of last season with good results it was mostly games consistent of two halves.

Last edited:

RedRocket9908

Has anyone mentioned Ernesto Valverde, he has a wealth of managerial expirience with a fair bit of success and his 4-2-3-1 might be a good fit for our squad.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
Who cares? The same thing will happen in a couple years.

Herman Toothrot

No matter what happens this season, I'd not even consider replacing him before next season. That way madness lies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Surprised no one’s mentioned Eddie Howe. People usually jump on the train of the manager who’s currently doing well. I’ve seen the De Zerbi crew have gone quiet after him getting hammered of Villa.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Surprised no one’s mentioned Eddie Howe. People usually jump on the train of the manager who’s currently doing well. I’ve seen the De Zerbi crew have gone quiet after him getting hammered of Villa.
Imagine if you told someone 18 months ago that Eddie Howe would jump above Luis Enrique in the coveted manager stakes :lol:

Thom Merrilin

I think someone like Ancelloti or Zidane could come in and get us playing well pretty quickly, not sure it'd last for them either though.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Probably because it makes very little sense for him to leave Newcastle for us.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Newcastle had a poor start to the season too yet Eddie Howe has managed to turn it around!

DJ_21

Imagine if you told someone 18 months ago that Eddie Howe would jump above Luis Enrique in the coveted manager stakes :lol:
Madness ain’t it :lol: I remember quite a few wanting Enrique aswell.

Telsim

Enrique will be free soon. Perhaps even right on time for the break.

lex talionis

Let us be clear. Nothing improves on the pitch until the Glazers have sold the club. We can muddle along, perhaps even snake back into the top four derby, but we will not challenge for the PL title until we have owners who are committed to the football operations of the club not just for profit, which they are entitled to seek, but for performances that lead to trophy lifts and open-bus parades.

mu4c_20le

Our problems are overstated. All we need is a proper DoF and we'll see lightyears in change. Our scouts aren't the problem; they aren't the best in the world, but they did identify the likes of Enzo and Caicedo before their big moves.

None of these issues take away from Ten Hag looking out of his depth in the premier league, without a fit and motivated Licha to carry the defense for him.

DJ_21

Our problems are overstated. All we need is a proper DoF and we'll see lightyears in change. Our scouts aren't the problem; they aren't the best in the world, but they did identify the likes of Enzo and Caicedo before their big moves.

None of these issues take away from Ten Hag looking out of his depth in the premier league, without a fit and motivated Licha to carry the defense for him.
I always thought VDS would have came with ETH.

gaffs

I think many are looking in the wrong direction for a manager when what United have lacked most these last ten years is a quality coach. I don't think the impetus should be on what a manager has achieved but what they bring to the first team. As it stands arguably De Zirbi brings more dynamics to the first team than what EtH does at this current moment in time. This isn't suggestive of Eth leaving but I don't think he will last the season.

Bottom line is the rhetoric is always the same, manager comes in plays below average football, fans use the manager needing players like it significantly raises the managers capabilities, more NET spend and the teams performance doesn't reflect the level of investment to match. Coach should be the first and only priority moving forward manager credentials is of far less significance. It's actually something the club hasn't done as EtH hasn't showed any of the traits displayed at Ajax that many thought were deliverables for United.

It's another reason why there's no comparison with United's progression to any of Arteta's development because Arsenal fundamentally are a brilliantly coached team. I'm struggling to think of a full 90 minute period this team has played well consistently, for much of last season with good results it was mostly games consistent of two halves.
De Zirbi is great. He drills his players hard. Very slow, repetitive training where he drills into them the patterns of play. Apparently goes absolutely crazy when they don't get it. Kevin Prince Boetang was talking about him on Rio's Youtube show this week as he played under him at Sassuolo.

For a squad like our that doesn't seem to be able to take instructions, is this a good fit?

Plus, he has the Brighton hierarchy finding player to play the system.

Clearly a smart guy who is doing great. If i were him, i would wait to find a club with a solid structure as we could soon ruin his reputation.

Ludens the Red

Agree with this. This is the problem with a lot of our fans. They get too preoccupied over what a manager has won when it comes to being the right man to lead United hence why they all think there’s basically no options. Basically anyone outside of Klopp, Pep, Ancelotti, Jose, Simeone, Ten Haag, Tuchel and Conte doesn’t register with these guys. They forget that only a select few clubs in this era actually win things and so obsessing over trophies won is too simplistic.

The same way they’re turning their noses down at De Zerbi was the same way they did against Poch and in turn favoured ten Hag because the latter won things at Ajax. Ignoring that it was Poch who had proven at multiple unfancied clubs that he could drill a team to play a certain way. But you know “he won nothing at Spurs” and didn’t win the cl at PSG. look at fecking PSG now, they’ve got a treble winning coach who’s losing games left right and centre and went to St James park and played a 424 system like some sort of clueless moron who does no research on his opponents.
Also just pointing out I’m not saying ‘sack ten hag hire Poch” before I start getting told off or called @Amadaeus . Simply making a point.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Agree with this. This is the problem with a lot of our fans. They get too preoccupied over what a manager has won when it comes to being the right man to lead United hence why they all think there’s basically no options. Basically anyone outside of Klopp, Pep, Ancelotti, Jose, Simeone, Ten Haag, Tuchel and Conte doesn’t register with these guys. They forget that only a select few clubs in this era actually win things and so obsessing over trophies won is too simplistic.

The same way they’re turning their noses down at De Zerbi was the same way they did against Poch and in turn favoured ten Hag because the latter won things at Ajax. Ignoring that it was Poch who had proven at multiple unfancied clubs that he could drill a team to play a certain way. But you know “he won nothing at Spurs” and didn’t win the cl at PSG. look at fecking PSG now, they’ve got a treble winning coach who’s losing games left right and centre and went to St James park and played a 424 system like some sort of clueless moron who does no research on his opponents.
Also just pointing out I’m not saying ‘sack ten hag hire Poch” before I start getting told off or called @Amadaeus . Simply making a point.
Glad only a few people are seeing it now.

Called it so long ago because I understand football and how it works. Look at psg now. Even with a more balance team than what Pochettino had, they are still terrible and even worse then when Pochettino was in charge. Spurs, it has taken them awhile, but it looks they may have finally gotten a manager that could do as good as Pochettino did for them. But even then, they got knocked out of the carabao cup.

Fans on here need to understand it isn't always about the flavor of the month manager and managers that has win things. These fans turned their nose at ancellotti when he was at Everton, yet he is doing fantastic job at real Madrid. I bet if we had Moyes, he would be doing better than ETH, although not as attractive a football.

With that said, I did say that I would like de zerbi to replace ETH, but I haven't done too much research outside of him. I m sure we can fund suitable candidates for the job just like spurs did with Postecogeleu, chelsea with Pochettino, brighton with zerbi, etc.

hobbers

Realistically if things keep going at the same rate and we get an inevitable mid season sacking it will be Enrique who comes in. He's already been on several manager shortlists.

But until the Glazers and Murtough feck off it doesnt matter who it is.

redIndianDevil

I’d be happy with someone like Simeone. Playing expansive modern football is never happening unless we get to start the squad from scratch. Let’s embrace our new underdogs tag in the city of Manchester and play like underdogs, let’s be defensively compact and hit teams on the break, let’s make scoring against us extremely difficult.

redIndianDevil

Realistically if things keep going at the same rate and we get an inevitable mid season sacking it will be Enrique who comes in. He's already been on several manager shortlists.

But until the Glazers and Murtough feck off it doesnt matter who it is.
Enrique will be a disaster. He has struggled everywhere other than when he had the Messi Neymar Suarez front three at Barca.

Baxquux

I’d be happy with someone like Simeone. Playing expansive modern football is never happening unless we get to start the squad from scratch. Let’s embrace our new underdogs tag in the city of Manchester and play like underdogs, let’s be defensively compact and hit teams on the break, let’s make scoring against us extremely difficult.
We dont have the players for that either. And it would be awful to watch and a complete waste of whatever attacking/technical talent we actually have. Might as well appoint Moyes again if you just want grit, and he wouldnt ask for such expensive reinforcements.

Honestly, there's enough in this current squad, if we expand it out to the best u-23s. to finish top 4 and build whilst playing a combative but also technical, movement-based style. You just need to either jettison or put under severe pressure the likes of Bruno and Rashford, and make sure Case has 2 players close to him at any point and the goalkeeper has an outball who then always has two passes on once it's been played into them. Then coach the hell out of them in terms of decision-making, off the ball running to provide options for passes, constructing moves around the box etc. Pretty much every manager in the current top 7 would be a better bet in terms of a coaching approach and game set-up, at least on the evidence of everything since March. Hey, Bielsa could do it until the end of the season and we know he wouldnt compromise. Having players physically dread the idea of not playing with sufficient intensity because they'll have double murderball training to contend with would help.

Selling the club is a larger priority but ETH is making unforced errors as well as betraying certain lack of bravery and conviction unless we're to believe the owners also pick the team. If he's struggling to have the message cut through, banishing a couple of the reserves and also bringing in a new senior coach able to inculcate patterns of play quickly might be ways of addressing the rot.

redIndianDevil

We dont have the players for that either. And it would be awful to watch and a complete waste of whatever attacking/technical talent we actually have. Might as well appoint Moyes again if you just want grit, and he wouldnt ask for such expensive reinforcements.

Honestly, there's enough in this current squad, if we expand it out to the best u-23s. to finish top 4 and build whilst playing a combative but also technical, movement-based style. You just need to either jettison or put under severe pressure the likes of Bruno and Rashford, and make sure Case has 2 players close to him at any point and the goalkeeper has an outball who then always has two passes on once it's been played into them. Then coach the hell out of them in terms of decision-making, off the ball running to provide options for passes, constructing moves around the box etc. Pretty much every manager in the current top 7 would be a better bet in terms of a coaching approach and game set-up, at least on the evidence of everything since March. Hey, Bielsa could do it until the end of the season and we know he wouldnt compromise. Having players physically dread the idea of not playing with sufficient intensity because they'll have double murderball training to contend with would help.

Selling the club is a larger priority but ETH is making unforced errors as well as betraying certain lack of bravery and conviction unless we're to believe the owners also pick the team. If he's struggling to have the message cut through, banishing a couple of the reserves and also bringing in a new senior coach able to inculcate patterns of play quickly might be ways of addressing the rot.
I’ve given up on dreaming that we’d play competent football. It’s never happening. IMO we are in a limbo when it comes to football matters alone, we don’t have any identifiable style. It’s easier and cheaper to build a team that’s tough to beat. Anything our club touches turns to shit in the transfer market, only chancers seem to sign for us.

ZainCRse7en

Would take Eddie Howe in a heartbeat.

Look at that Newcastle team ffs. We are way ahead of them in terms of elite world class talent within the squad but he has somehow made ordinary players like Schar, Almiron, Longstaff and co. look like world beaters. Imagine what he could achieve with our squad.

ElCholo

Supports
Boca
He is only manager of AM
Who is your uncle and where do we sign?

Ole-inners don't get a vote for obvious reasons.
Diego Simeone.
He is probably not "atractive" for yours lot. But he would teach you basic of football and how not to get trashed by any club who can string few passes.

croadyman

Zidane isnt coming anywhere near a Glazer
Yeah only Jassim could attract him here,absolutely no chance in hell he would want to work for Ratcliffe that's for sure

I can't decide if we need a winner as a player like him to get respect from this lot or someone with a more defined style like De Zerbi

jeepers

There are some things wrong with the club, EtH has obvious faults but sacking him is not going to fix anything.

The issues are deeply set and will probably will need starting from zero, or close to zero.

Need new owners who are more interested in running a football club first before a business. Put the right people in the right positions. Bring in a proper DOF who has a wealth of experience in the position.

We have seen all the work City put in for Pep to take over, what Liverpool did for Klopp to excel and what Arsenal did for Arteta to stamp his philosophy on the team. We see how a properly run team goes through a change of managers at Brighton as well.

Somehow the fools running the club are blind to all these case studies. There doesn’t seem to be any semblance of strategic or calculated thinking at the top.