Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Could we convince Pep to make the switch... stranger things have happened. Surely he can't end his career managing minnows like City, deserves to have a final run with a great club. Jim should just promise him a huge transfer budget and he won't think twice about making the move.
Particularly as his City legacy will be voided in next 24 months.

Rauður Djöfull

Need to change owners and structure before we see real changes

Club is a rotten money machine that does not focus on the sport side of things

Don't care who's in charge anymore
Players look more interested in money as the owners them self's

Lux Thunder

Need to change owners and structure before we see real changes

Club is a rotten money machine that does not focus on the sport side of things

Don't care who's in charge anymore
Players look more interested in money as the owners them self's
This. Until serious club structure takes place every manager and player are set to fail.

Stadjer

It could be Big Sam as far as I care at this point
we wont be any worse
Those are just stupid posts. Ofcourse it can get worse. Currently sixth in the league and 5 points behind fifth place. Those games against the weaker opponents could very well have been lost and it would be a worse situation now. So yes, it can get worse and saying it cant get worse and thinking Big Sam couldnt do worse is really stupid.

When Ole was sacked it also couldnt get any worse right? Well it did... Sacking Ole hardly made things better so why would sacking ETH make things better? Do you actually have a serious option as the new manager if ETH is sacked?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If Ten Hag is sacked this month or mid-season, you would imagine we'd hire an interim, especially with most of the managers we are likely to target employed with a club or a national side, and also because of the impending takeover.

If we are to talk about the interims for a moment, I do think Ole has a very realistic chance of coming back for the 6 odd months. It'll be between him, Blanc and maybe Mcclaren I feel.

MegadrivePerson

A name I've not seen mentioned yet is Sean Dyche?

He's in great form.

He fit's Sir Jim's British criteria.

He is getting a squad of average players to play at their best or a higher level.

If his name was Seanio Dychino he'd be on everybody's lips!

parmenio

New senior leadership structure in place first and foremost. Hopefully Sir J has his team already in place and ready to hit the ground running. Absolutely no interim managers. If we go for a new manager then hopefully again they are doing the work behind the scenes and sounding out. Were bloody Man Utd why wait? If they want the job they will jump at the chance. Some of the names bandied about on here geez you’d think we were a championship club not Man Utd. We will be back. Been shittier times than this.

Lynty

Keep Ten Hag and lets sort out the abysmal scouting/recruitment department. Coaches shouldn't be identifying players or making major decisions on recruitment given the average job expectancy is less that of the average contract. You need to earn the right to make major recruitment decisions. Every single manager since 2013 has had awful recruitment (I actually consider Ole to have the 'least worst' record) yet we haven't learned anything.

There no real options to go for, other than more flavour of the month managers or more roll the dice appointments. We're midseason with plenty still to play for and plenty of time to turn it around. The fortress Villa have built will surely come crashing down when the fixtures pile up, Spurs are only 3 points ahead and we all know they're bottlers. Top 4 is still well within reach, despite us being shite.

Lee565

Give it to club legend Ibrahimovic till the end of the season, if we are going to have a terrible season let's at least have some fun with it

astracrazy

New senior leadership structure in place first and foremost. Hopefully Sir J has his team already in place and ready to hit the ground running. Absolutely no interim managers. If we go for a new manager then hopefully again they are doing the work behind the scenes and sounding out. Were bloody Man Utd why wait? If they want the job they will jump at the chance. Some of the names bandied about on here geez you’d think we were a championship club not Man Utd. We will be back. Been shittier times than this.
Trouble is they probably don't want the job....why would they?

High chance just to be sacked, on average, after two seasons because no one has the patience to allow them to turn this mess around. Or would next time be different....Rinse and repeat.

It honestly just feels like its about time we ride the storm with a manager for a change, give them the time they are told they will be afforded when they sign (which lets be honest goes as far back as LVG and his supposed 3 year plan) and see where it takes us, instead of sacking them everytime the sea gets rough.

frostbite

High chance just to be sacked, on average, after two seasons because no one has the patience to allow them to turn this mess around. Or would next time be different....Rinse and repeat.

It honestly just feels like its about time we ride the storm with a manager for a change, give them the time they are told they will be afforded when they sign (which lets be honest goes as far back as LVG and his supposed 3 year plan) and see where it takes us, instead of sacking them everytime the sea gets rough.
I disagree. The opposite is true, every manager worth anything wants to become the manager of Man Utd. Why? Because of the money, the prestige, the challenge, the attention.

Great managers love competition. The manager who wins PL with Man Utd will be considered as good (or even better) than Pep and Klopp, he will be in the discussion for the best manager of all time. That alone is a great incentive for most competitive people. When you add the money and the attention, it becomes a great job for the right manager.

Sure, there are challenges, but if you want to be discussed as "the best" in anything in life, it is expected that it will be very hard. People who want to have a simple, easy life do not become top managers.

December_16

Well, whoever they are, they will need to buy into SJR’s vision to run the club, so hopefully it’s a positive to start. Then of course, the prestige, the image, yadda yadda IF they can actually turn the club fortune around and bring back the glory days. Also, the small thing called money - even if it doesn’t work out, they still get a big cheque to leave the job. I mean… what’s there not to like?

Martinez4midfield

Supports
Ajax
Does van der sar have no interest in managing? knows the club, played under Fergie, would be familiar with some of our players, top player in his day should have respect from the dressing room but if not a big intimidating lad.

Ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

So... like every other club then?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Does van der sar have no interest in managing? knows the club, played under Fergie, would be familiar with some of our players, top player in his day should have respect from the dressing room but if not a big intimidating lad.

But he has never coached a team and I don't even think he has any license. He has the qualification and experience to take over as CEO, but not in the dugout.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

Take someone who has never managed before and drop him into Manchester United at a time of instability and crisis??

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
If Ten Hag is sacked this month or mid-season, you would imagine we'd hire an interim, especially with most of the managers we are likely to target employed with a club or a national side, and also because of the impending takeover.

If we are to talk about the interims for a moment, I do think Ole has a very realistic chance of coming back for the 6 odd months. It'll be between him, Blanc and maybe Mcclaren I feel.
Honestly, if we do we are every bit of a joke as Chelsea have been.

I couldn't love and hate a single thing at the same time as much as I do Manchester United.

It's strange.

lon ball2

Let’s not be naive, we all know the caretaker/interim etc would be McLaren. He’d get a bounce then a six year contract. The club just doesn’t learn

Marwood

This. Until serious club structure takes place every manager and player are set to fail.
Not really. We just need a manager who doesn't make terrible recruitment decisions. Decisions fans can see are going to be wrong. Basic stuff like us needing a CM in the summer, some pace at CB. Not signimg a winger who even for an all conquering Ajax had poor goal and assist stats.

This shouldn't be beyond a highly paid manager who does afterall, also have a scouting department behind him.

astracrazy

So... like every other club then?
Apart from the clubs they are already at, which is my point.

You have managers who are at other clubs and succeeding, which would be somewhat because the structure at the clubs actually know what the feck they are doing.

Thats not us. EtH will be a great example to some of those managers why you don't leave being successful to join Man Utd....at least as it stands now. Sacking EtH so quickly isn't going to make it desirable to other managers.

It's my opinion, but I just don't get how same fans enjoy this manager merry go round. Everytime someone new comes in "he is the guy to turn us around", "Klopp needed time", "Arteta needed time"....after a season its not happened quick enough - get rid.

Christ, someone even less qualified than Ole....is this how desperate people are getting?

Last edited:

Gordon Godot

Apart from the clubs they are already at, which is my point.

You have managers who are at other clubs and succeeding, which would be somewhat because the structure at the clubs actually know what the feck they are doing.

Thats not us. EtH will be a great example to some of those managers why you don't leave being successful to join Man Utd....at least as it stands now. Sacking EtH so quickly isn't going to make it desirable to other managers.

It's my opinion, but I just don't get how same fans enjoy this manager merry go round. Everytime someone new comes in "he is the guy to turn us around", "Klopp needed time", "Arteta needed time"....after a season its not happened quick enough - get rid.
The problem is our fan base are too loyal. We get behind every new manager. every other team's fanbase laughed when we appointed Moyes, then we saw off the mighty Spurs for the over the hill LVG. The list goes on, Mou was always going to end like it did, Ole should never have been near the job. ETH was the first time we actually appoint a promising manager, but so far he has failed. its not about results, its about what we see on the pitch. And its dire. Absolute garbage. Wide open every match and cannot score. Team not interested. Whether Spurs win or lose they play good football and you see exactly what manager wants. You see NOTHING from us at the moment. ETH has failed, his signings are awful, its only a matter of time

soapythecat

ETH until new CEO and DoF come up with a coherent plan. Hopefully that will be some progressive, attacking football, and they support ETH with the players to do it, or draft in Bielsa for a few years. Would love him at OT but he needs the right players as he only plays the one way.

astracrazy

The problem is our fan base are too loyal. We get behind every new manager. every other team's fanbase laughed when we appointed Moyes, then we saw off the mighty Spurs for the over the hill LVG. The list goes on, Mou was always going to end like it did, Ole should never have been near the job. ETH was the first time we actually appoint a promising manager, but so far he has failed. its not about results, its about what we see on the pitch. And its dire. Absolute garbage. Wide open every match and cannot score. Team not interested. Whether Spurs win or lose they play good football and you see exactly what manager wants. You see NOTHING from us at the moment. ETH has failed, his signings are awful, its only a matter of time
I'm not sure I'd call last season a failure, it should have been a good stepping stone to build on. This season I agree has been shit, but lets not pretend we aren't seeing the same handful of players doing what they have been doing under other managers - downing tools.

I don't care about Spurs. Lets see how they are at the end of the season, I'm not convinced.

I don't get this stick we beat EtH with regards to signings. As if our recruitment has been good since Fergie left. Name me a manager with a straight face who has has good signings? I bet not even 50% of our signings since Fergie could be classed as good. All it shows it the structure is still as clueless as 13 years ago.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'm not sure I'd call last season a failure, it should have been a good stepping stone to build on. This season I agree has been shit, but lets not pretend we aren't seeing the same handful of players doing what they have been doing under other managers - downing tools.

I don't care about Spurs. Lets see how they are at the end of the season, I'm not convinced.

I don't get this stick we beat EtH with regards to signings. As if our recruitment has been good since Fergie left. Name me a manager with a straight face who has has good signings? I bet not even 50% of our signings since Fergie could be classed as good. All it shows it the structure is still as clueless as 13 years ago.
You could probably argue 50% of SAF's signings weren't that good either, there were some right turkey's, especially in the early days

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Not really. We just need a manager who doesn't make terrible recruitment decisions. Decisions fans can see are going to be wrong. Basic stuff like us needing a CM in the summer, some pace at CB. Not signimg a winger who even for an all conquering Ajax had poor goal and assist stats.

This shouldn't be beyond a highly paid manager who does afterall, also have a scouting department behind him.
I think that's what's meant by serious club structure - a proper DOF and not letting the manager have free reign on recruitment.

Klopp doesn't choose the players at Liverpool, for example.

Lux Thunder

Yeah, I think we are almost on the same page - all I wanted to say is that until serious people with clear plans take over (recruitment included), I don’t see changing a manager as such improvement.

norm87cro

Those are just stupid posts. Ofcourse it can get worse. Currently sixth in the league and 5 points behind fifth place. Those games against the weaker opponents could very well have been lost and it would be a worse situation now. So yes, it can get worse and saying it cant get worse and thinking Big Sam couldnt do worse is really stupid.

When Ole was sacked it also couldnt get any worse right? Well it did... Sacking Ole hardly made things better so why would sacking ETH make things better? Do you actually have a serious option as the new manager if ETH is sacked?
Nah mate it cant. Eth is supposed to be the answer but he is clearly out of his depth as Moyes was in 2014 so it can be Big Sam (aldo I dont want him offcourse).

Marwood

I think that's what's meant by serious club structure - a proper DOF and not letting the manager have free reign on recruitment.

Klopp doesn't choose the players at Liverpool, for example.
Sure, it'd help, especially if the DoF and structure is made up of talented people.

But for decades there was no such thing as a DoF or overarching structure and managers still put together incredible teams. It's very possible.

A manager on millions should be capable of knowing if Antony is good enough, that if we need a CM Mount isn't the answer.

The on pitch things we've got wrong at this club, any top manager should be able to sort. To prevent.

Not talking about just ETH. Ole should have known a Fred/McTominay midfield is nowhere near good enough. How can Mourinho not see Lindelof isn't good enough? LvG signing Falcao when we already had Rooney and RvP.

Only a handful of examples of basic stuff a manager alone should be able to see.

Ultimately I think sometimes the DoF debate is a bit of a let off for managers.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The future direction of the club is vital to answering this question. We've got a squad that, effectively, is built to play pragmatic, counter attacking football. Is that the future? If so, go get someone like Conte and just lean into it.

If that isn't the future, if the club wants to continue to move towards something like being a pressing team, then I guess we just find someone better than Ten Hag to coach that. However, then the powers that be will have to accept a lot of players need selling still. We can't just arbitrarily decide there can only be three major incomings and outgoings every summer, as is rumoured.

Its a huge decision and has to be taken after a lot of consideration. What cannot happen is what happened after Van Gaal. Where we just went for the opposite of him, with Jose. Then when Jose got burned decided we wanted the opposite of him. There has to be some kind of long term thinking.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Has to be emery surely.

Question is, is he attainable??

Status
Not open for further replies.