Who should the caretaker manager be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneUnited24

Well James Cooper just reported that the caretaker would be “fun to work with”. Who else then other then Evra? :D

Martial, Pogba and Evra knocks PSG out of the champions league!! And that’s my last post for the day. Happy speculation everyone.
If he’s fun to work with I can actually see evra . He’d probably bring park over !

diarm

Fecking hell, just because he's been photographed with him? He's somebody important at the club, he meets a lot of people and Evra has NO EXPERIENCE as manager. Christ.

Buy yeah, he's French and funny!
"Christ"?

You might want to go and have a sit down somewhere quiet for yourself bud. Maybe too much excitement this morning?

Someone asked why people were mentioning Evra after a journo had said the caretaker would be someone connected to the club and I posted some photographs of Evra with Woodward. It's hardly me betting the house on Patrice being appointed and hardly worthy of such a reaction!

Chairman Steve

It’s probably a good sign that Carrick isn’t caretaker. It means he isn’t thrown into the deep end and that we do have a plan in place.

Bola

So from what I've read is that Carrick is going to be the caretaker manager for the next few days, while we appoint an interim manager until the end of the season.

Seems very quick turnaround times, I was initially think what is the rush (I.e. wait until Jan), but I suppose he club are looking to do some transfer business in Jan and want to give themselves as much prep as possible.
It will be interesting to see who leads out United on Sat

Coops73

Can’t see it happening, would like him and you’d think they’ve already got a replacement in place otherwise they wouldn’t of let Mourhino go and the fact we’ll be getting in a caretaker would suggest the person they have in mind for the full time position is currently employed but Levy will make it extremely difficult for that to happen, he’ll probably quash all these rumours later.

paulscholes18

The fact we seem to be looking for a caretaker manager, I guess that means we will try for Pochettino at the end of the season, wouldn’t make sense to wait till the end of the season and then bring in Zidane, Conte or Blonc who are all out of a job

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think that caretaker manager is mistake. We should go for new manager now. That is how he will get "free" six months to evaluate squad and implement new formation and style.

Strachans Cigar

As caretakers, how about Phelan Meulensteen, Querioz etc? ...not sure if any of the old guard are available?

Basically, right the major wrong of ditching the baby with the bath water.

Ditching all SAFs coaching staff was the single biggest balls up we made imo.

Robbie Boy

you're predicting the future there mate. We just sacked a manager and Michael Carrick is going to be in charge with a caretaker until the end of the season until the club can find a manager. We've sacked him with zero backup plan. That's free fall.
When was Carrick announced? Well it was clearly untenable for Mourinho to stay and like pretty much every other club, we have sacked our wildly underperforming manager. No one knows what will happen next but Mourinho had to go.

youngrell

Is there any lead time on when the caretaker is likely to be announced? All the names being thrown around is making my head hurt.

Therealistfan

I'd like Nicky Butt to be the caretaker manager. He currently works with our youth players so will not hesitate to give them a chance, expect to see youth players breaking into the first team. More importantly he will carry the task under minimal pressure as Mourinho has already taken much of the heat. If you look at Barcelona and Real Madrid they promote from within and it usually works, don't forget people from within know the values of the club and they see players in training so there not exactly clueless or strangers to the club.

P.s Guardiola came from within Barcelona and look how successful he became... Take the risk!!!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's been part of the coaching staff so far, the football has been horrible and the man has little to no experience as a manager. Definite no from me. At least bring someone like Conte in if Zozou or Pochettino don't want it.
You cannot blame Carrick for the style of football we have played this season or the manner in which we approach our games, that is on Jose Mourinho 100%.

The club needs stability above all else and carrick is the safest option to provide that. Why take a risk on an unknown quantity?

Conte/Blanc won't take on the caretaker manager's job.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Well, from the names being thrown around the only real manager is Blanc. I have no more trust in people who have been coaches than I would in Evra. At least the guy absolutely loves the club and has a uniquely positive hard working attitude. I think he can instill that in the players
If you are hiring a caretaker for more than half the season you would want someone experienced to be a safe pair of hands not someone who is learning on the job. If the best we can do is Evra we might as well let one of the players take over.

kiristao

Impossible mid-season.
Yes it is but if we are going to stick to a caretaker for 6 months then we might as well have stuck with Mourinho. Unless a few of the players have said they will renew their contracts only if Mourinho goes..

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am just thinking. Zidane is free now. So if we are going for caretaker maybe that means that we will go for Poch?

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
It was inevitable and suddenly there are many things back to look for in this season. Mighty interesting to see who's going to be the caretaker manager. Will it be a moderately ambitious pick with a slim chance of prolonging his contract at the end of the season?

FrantikChicken

If you are hiring a caretaker for more than half the season you would want someone experienced to be a safe pair of hands not someone who is learning on the job. If the best we can do is Evra we might as well let one of the players take over.

Which is why from the ones being mentioned so far I'd go for Blanc. From the rest, Evra's name sticks out to me the most.

AlwaysRed66

Simon Stone said this at the end of his article:

The club also says the new manager will understand the philosophy of the club, including its attacking traditions.

I'm gonna assume that's about any future manager, caretaker or permanent.
If that is true, it certainly rules out the likes of Conte, Allegri, & Simeone, interim or permanent.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Not a fan of caretaker managers, especially with so much of the season to go. Much rather have someone come in now and start building for a flying start next season.
If that's not possible in this instance, i hope the club have someone lined to take over in summer and playing style, signings etc during the remainder of this season come from that manager.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Blanc as caretaker with an appointment as DOF in the summer allowing Poch to step in as Manager? :drool::drool::drool::drool:

Nick7

Not a fan of caretaker managers, especially with so much of the season to go. Much rather have someone come in now and start building for a flying start next season.
If that's not possible in this instance, i hope the club have someone lined to take over in summer and playing style, signings etc during the remainder of this season come from that manager.
It's the best option though. If we sign up a full time manager and they're a bit shit here, we're stuck needing to sack another manager.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Finally! I like that we are taking our time appointing the new manager, hopefully that mean we will get one of the top coaches like Pochettino.

Solskjaer as caretaker would be :drool:

Finally i can watch United again!

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
At a certain point, the amount of money becomes somewhat redundant. We're more than rich enough to combat City's wealth. Spurs have a better squad at the moment, but they've a stadium to pay for, and have already had one summer with zero investment.

The expectations are higher at United, but I'd like to think whoever we bring in now is being brought in because they have a vision to take the club forward, and will be given sufficient time to do that, even if that means switching the focus away from silverware for a few seasons, and back onto playing an attractive style of football that pleases the fans and gets us back competing with the top clubs. If we bring him in and tell him he's to deliver a league title in three years then yeah, obviously that's shit, but I don't think we will do that.
The question is how good is the current squad really and how many tweaks have to happen to be at least a top 3 side again. There are many question marks over some of the most talented players, are they happy, would to like to renew their contracts and so on. City are able to spend about 130 mil. on fullbacks only if they feel they have to. But of course you do have a point, United have money and if it were to be invested cleverly we can go some places.

Sadly, we're in a vicious circle. Meaning we haven't won something significant since Ferguson. This season City have the chance to win back to back Premierships, that's something special. We really can't wait years to be really on the map again, the next manager has to do win something significant within 2 or at least 3 years.
Conte did it in his first season and both of the London clubs Arsenal & Chelsea seem to be rejuvenated.

What i'm trying to say is that there are many difficulties at United. Anyway i'd like the coming caretaker manager to be someone who has the chance to become permanent manager. I don't want to waste any precious time. Personally i'm not too keen on Blanc, he didn't do enough for me at PSG (talking about developing style and being tactically astute in the CL). Conte because of Pogba could be an interesting choice (still a defensive coach, mind), but the frontrunners have to be Zizou or Pochettino, IMO.

stu_1992

Wow what a morning of news! I'm shocked to say the least, as I have been pretty adamant over the last few days that they would not do this. It's the right call, and I must say I'm happy about it. Will it fix all of our problems? No. But it will restore a positive atmosphere. I actually like like the caretaker idea a lot. Gives the board the required time to make a good decision, maybe even appoint a director of football first. Short term we can get a manager to restore a good feeling and really just take us back to the basics on our attacking principles. I really do think this interim approach means that they don't rate Zidane and that there will be an attempt to get Pochettino in the summer, however that all remains to be seen. Short term we just need to get back to attractive football, build some wins and see where it takes us. It may be too late for top 4 already, but we will sure as feck get closer than we would have with Mourinho and surely it will be prettier to watch. We can still make a push for the FA Cup and give a good account of ourselves in the Champions League. Exciting times.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The question is how good is the current squad really and how many tweaks have to happen to be at least a top 3 side again. There are many question marks over some of the most talented players, are they happy, would to like to renew their contracts and so on. City are able to spend about 130 mil. on fullbacks only if they feel they have to. But of course you do have a point, United have money and if it were to be invested cleverly we can go some places.

Sadly, we're in a vicious circle. Meaning we haven't won something significant since Ferguson. This season City have the chance to win back to back Premierships, that's something special. We really can't wait years to be really on the map again, the next manager has to do win something significant within 2 or at least 3 years.
Conte did it in his first season and both of the London clubs Arsenal & Chelsea seem to be rejuvenated.

What i'm trying to say is that there are many difficulties at United. Anyway i'd like the coming caretaker manager to be someone who has the chance to become permanent manager. I don't want to waste any precious time. Personally i'm not too keen on Blanc, he didn't do enough for me at PSG (talking about developing style and being tactically astute in the CL). Conte because of Pogba could be an interesting choice (still a defensive coach, mind), but the frontrunners have to be Zizou or Pochettino, IMO.
I think we have to ignore whatever's going on with City and Liverpool, and anyone else for that matter. We focus on getting the team playing proper football, developing the wealth of young talent we have at the club, and see where that takes us, because it should take us far. A few astute signings and the right motivation for the players currently at the club, and we'll see a massive difference.

Liverpool are currently top with the likes of Wijnaldum, Henderson, Milner and Lovren all playing regular roles in their team. They've a number of young "question mark" players all benefiting from a manager showing some faith in them, rather than chucking them under the bus to cover for his own shortcomings.

stepic

i don't think Ole would leave his current job, which he is doing well in, just for a few months of pointless caretaker duties, even if it is United.

Blanc is a sensible choice.

Drifter

American
They can bring in Big Sam at this stage. It's just a caretakers job.

Status
Not open for further replies.