Who will be United's big signing this summer?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think we'll buy a couple of midfielders and full backs and call it a summer. No flashy additions unless Griezmann becomes available.

reddaz71

Honestly think we will be in for Vidal, if he can recapture his previously imperious form under Mourinho then he will absolutely give us the best midfield in the EPL if not Europe!

Deleted member 101472

Honestly don’t think we need a big signing, though the one well known name I’d go all out for is Alex Sandro.

Deleted member 101472

I know that, I meant not a massive headline grabber like Bale, Ronaldo, Griezmann. He would be a really good signing.
I don’t think we need a headline grabber at the moment, especially since Sanchez was effectively it. I don’t rate griezmann as highly as others, and can’t see him turning down Barcelona if they come calling. If I could have one big name it would be Bale and I’d play him behind the striker where he excelled for spurs. Injury free, he’ll be the best player in the league for a few years.

Norris

If we could line up like this in August, great summer

Probably need to switch Jones and Bailly's Position. But I really don't see the need for Sandro. Shaw if he keeps his head straight will convince Jose that he's the man to own that LB Spot. Young as backup is pretty good.

Even Fabinho, I am not very convinced by. Again the brunt of the creative force will be on Pogba in midfield. We really need someone who is capable of relieving some off the pressure of Pogba, both in attack and defense.

If I were to dream big and want an unrealistic signing, I'd like us to sign Saul. Not sure who the fancy name on everyone's keyboards are these days, so someone like Savic or Jorginho, although, I have absolutely little to no idea on their playing style.

Red00012

I’m thinking a central midfielder like Fabinho or Vidal. I’m hoping Fosu-Mensah will be 2nd choice RB next season which would mean maybe another centre back. Jones, Bailly , Smalling and Rojo can’t be relied on to stay injury free all season.

Deleted member 101472

Probably need to switch Jones and Bailly's Position. But I really don't see the need for Sandro. Shaw if he keeps his head straight will convince Jose that he's the man to own that LB Spot. Young as backup is pretty good.

Even Fabinho, I am not very convinced by. Again the brunt of the creative force will be on Pogba in midfield. We really need someone who is capable of relieving some off the pressure of Pogba, both in attack and defense.

If I were to dream big and want an unrealistic signing, I'd like us to sign Saul. Not sure who the fancy name on everyone's keyboards are these days, so someone like Savic or Jorginho, although, I have absolutely little to no idea on their playing style.
Sandro would be a considerable upgrade on both Shaw and young. There is no need for a big attacking signing this summer, and we will be offloading a few players/salaries so the money should be spent on areas we can immediately make better. Whether it’s martial or Sanchez coming from the left, we should solidify that side of the pitch with, IMO, the best all round left back in the game.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So you think the team will look the same after the summer ? Anyway, still think Fellaini as well as Carrick will be gone and think we will need to replace those 2 with a star name and someone from within if we keep Herrera too, also a RB and RW.

As for names, with this being world cup year, I wont state one due to the fact someone could pop he takes a fancy to that we never even thought of.
No...I'm basing this off of what we have now. I like Fellaini as an impact player off the bench, but we need a better option. I'm also not a big fan of Herrara. Never have been. I think that is one position we need to fill. Our attack is stacked. Just need a player to feed the attack. Matic and Pogba are great. I'd like us to find someone young who can come right in and take that position. Just not sure who that would be...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Honestly think we will be in for Vidal, if he can recapture his previously imperious form under Mourinho then he will absolutely give us the best midfield in the EPL if not Europe!
With Sanchez being here now and Vidal already interviewed about that deal I'm surprised those rumours haven't started up already...

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
I read either a tweet on here or in a paper that Bayern will be open to offers for Thiago Alcantara in the summer. I haven’t watched Bayern this year but if he can still play anything like he used to then he’d be my main target. However I’d imagine Pep if he was available would like him there.

We do need midfield options but really I’d sell a Kidney to get Dybala here although I really only think we need a RB and CM, maybe 2 of those.
Must be the always reliable English press reporting such nonsense..Bayern open to sell Thiago :lol:

Trizy

We're not signing Hazard or Dybala.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bale and De Gea moved opposite directions. Wouldn't be great business by us though but Woody seems to have a Woody for Bale.

Silas

I wouldn't be surprised if Bale and De Gea moved opposite directions. Wouldn't be great business by us though but Woody seems to have a Woody for Bale.
We won't be signing Bale with Sanchez already here.

NoPace

My guess is the summer looks like this:

Left-footed winger - Bale, Sessegnon, Malcolm
Left-back - Alex Sandro, Ghoulam
Central Midfield - Fred, Koke (if Simeone leaves), Milinkovic-Savic, Seri, Ndombele (not rumoured but would make sense) Vidal

and we wait on buying our RB of the future another year with Valencia being reliable and Young and Shaw doing well this year and the last month or so, respectively, which means Young can just be the backup RB. Also Tuanzebe and Lindelof are options there too.

So, Bale, I guess.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Not Bale, Ronaldo's appeal in terms of marketing makes that a possibility.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I don’t think we need a headline grabber at the moment, especially since Sanchez was effectively it. I don’t rate griezmann as highly as others, and can’t see him turning down Barcelona if they come calling. If I could have one big name it would be Bale and I’d play him behind the striker where he excelled for spurs. Injury free, he’ll be the best player in the league for a few years.
So would a 50 years younger Bobby Charlton.

Deleted member 101472

All the options available, and Fabinho is the answer? I don't agree, especially playing him alongside Matic.
I think he’s an attainable target for a fair price that will offer cover in several positions. It’s a no brainer for me.

Norris

Sandro would be a considerable upgrade on both Shaw and young. There is no need for a big attacking signing this summer, and we will be offloading a few players/salaries so the money should be spent on areas we can immediately make better. Whether it’s martial or Sanchez coming from the left, we should solidify that side of the pitch with, IMO, the best all round left back in the game.
Currently, yes, Sandro is definitely much better than the other options we have. However, I just don't see the need to upgrade on that position, if Shaw keeps doing what he's doing. There's a 5 year age difference between the two. I'm being a bit optimistic in thinking that Shaw will only get better, especially defensively, under someone like Mourinho. I'd much rather prefer we bring in someone like Sessegnon who is young and raw but will give adequate competition to Shaw.

Wages will definitely be freed up, but also at the same time, we are likely to lose 3 players in Carrick, Fellaini and Zlatan and it's almost imperative we replace two of them (Unless McTominay is going to be trusted more or if Pereira will be given a chance in that position next season). So, for me priority is definitely midfield. It doesn't have to be a big name signing, but I do feel more resources will be allocated to strengthen the position. Mourinho's stance on Shaw has also softened over the last few months, so maybe he doesn't see it as big a priority as before.

dablem_10

i think most marquee signing will be CM but dont need to be reputation name of superstar. We have really good team, few very good additions and fantastic midfielder will do magic

RooneyLegend

Why aren't we signing Dybala? Don't we have Agent P on the matter? Hazard is a non starter imo. Doubt Chelsea will sell him and if they do it won't be inside the borders.

TrebleFan99

Thank you. Don’t care if Shaw is showing promise for a couple of matches, if there is an opportunity to significantly strengthen the first team then we should take it.

Sandro is a huge upgrade both attacking and defending. Massive upgrade to our left side.

yo@Kirk

After Mourinho has put so much time and effort into getting Shaw to where he's showing good attitude and solid performance, I can't see him tossing that effort aside for Sandro. Mo's a prideful man. I think TFM returns as an EPL proven RB having played about 2000 minutes there for mid table Crystal Palace. Solid cover for Valencia as RB in a back 4 or RCB in a back 3.

Summer additions something like:
Mesut Ozil on a free; quality left footed #10 and set piece taker much needed.
Arturo Vidal for 30m euros; solid experienced midfield depth for a midfield 2 or starter in a midfield 3.
Leon Bailey for 60m euros; 20 year old left footed winger who is taking the BL by storm for 2nd place Bayer.

Nuts

Name checks out :P.

We have the joint best defense in the league. Selling Smalling and Jones would be crazy, in addition to the fact that they are very good. They are English.... Now, I know that we shouldn't keep players because they're English but they are also good in their position and they have been solid for us for a few years now.

A first choice right back is a must and a left back if Shaw doesn't get his shit toghether before the summer. Looking at him now he's definitly getting back to his level.

We need a back for Pogba and a RW.
Care to revisit this in light of last night? They're not good enough if United want to get back to being the best in Europe.

sully1

Fred is the only player ive seen this season boss the city midfield

Yagami

Good post resistant
Fred is the only player ive seen this season boss the city midfield
Same. It's the only time I've really seen him, but he didn't look out of his depth at all dealing with City. Same goes for Shakhtar as a whole, really.

Member 90887

Care to revisit this in light of last night? They're not good enough if United want to get back to being the best in Europe.
Our best defender wasn't playing last night. Bailly wasn't in the team and he is great at holding the ball. we already spent on Lindelof this season and hopefully he comes good. Smalling and Jones panic a lot when they have the ball, everybody knows that but they're good enough as back up, and most often than not, they are enough, we don't play top 6 teams every week. don't forget that we also have Rojo who was very good before his injury.

We definitly don't need more defenders, there are other areas of the pitch that needs adressing first. mainly RB, Valencia didn't offer anything yesterday, it was a coward display from him? so i maintain that an RB is the priority, followed by an LB if shaw doesn't come good and a back up for Pogba or someone that plays alongside him. we saw yesterday that if Pogba doesn't deliver there's abolustely no one that does.

bebeanderson

I know it’s an unpopular opinion but the best signing would be a coach like Pochettino, or one of these hungry young modern ones like that Hoffenheim one.. team needs intensity and faster, one touch build up and ruptures of opposing defensive system.