Who will be United's big signing this summer?

Norris

Eriksen is a fantastic player, but I really don't think he's what we need at the moment. If Jose is flexible enough to try a midfield 3, I hope our relatively Big signing will be a an upgrade on Herrera and the soon to be departing Fellaini. Not sure who fits the bill of being a big player though. Vidal is the only big name I can think of and I am not sure I want him in all honesty. Likes of Saul and Koke are unattainable unless something drastic happens at Atletico like Simeone leaving. Verrati's desire to leave might be slightly mitigated with the arrival of Neymar and Mbappe and even more if they go onto do very well in the Champions League. But if we do stick with 4-2-3-1, Dybala is the one for me.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Eriksen is a fantastic player, but I really don't think he's what we need at the moment. If Jose is flexible enough to try a midfield 3, I hope our relatively Big signing will be a an upgrade on Herrera and the soon to be departing Fellaini. Not sure who fits the bill of being a big player though. Vidal is the only big name I can think of and I am not sure I want him in all honesty. Likes of Saul and Koke are unattainable unless something drastic happens at Atletico like Simeone leaving. Verrati's desire to leave might be slightly mitigated with the arrival of Neymar and Mbappe and even more if they go onto do very well in the Champions League. But if we do stick with 4-2-3-1, Dybala is the one for me.
I'd give up one my nuts to get Veratti or Saul.

Norris

I'd give up one my nuts to get Veratti or Saul.
I know people on the caf love Verratti and I do too, but I am not really convinced he's a good fit alongside Pogba and Matic. Saul on the other hand would be perfect.

settembrini

One thing I like about Mourinho is how he always tells us what our transfers plans are. Every window he has more or less said what he is going to do and then done it, often making the press look stupid in the process when they ignore him.

A couple of weeks ago he said we would be having 2/3 new signings next season. At the time I assumed he meant it would be three minus whoever we bought in January and he has now confirmed that. So with Sanchez signing it will be just two new players in the summer. That means a lot of money will be available for those two players. I agree with the OP that the one big signing he has talked about will be an attacker and I am also hoping it will be Dybala. There has been a fair amount of talk recently in Italy that he is not totally happy at Juventus. Dybala himself has said he could leave and that he misses Pogba. Raiola has said he thinks Dybala will leave. Marotta has said Dybala will stay at Juventus 'unless he asks to leave'. We are hiring Ribalta as our chief scout from Juventus where he was responsible for them signing Dybala in the first place. There just seem to be a lot of small signs that we might try for him and he would be an immense signing if we could pull it off.

Lukaku
Martial Sanchez Dybala
Pogba Matic

Would be our obvious front six. De Gea in goal is also obvious. The defence is far less clear. Shaw has resurrected his United career from the brink of death recently and Mourinho has suggested that if keeps it up we won't be looking for a new LB. Our CB options are silly. We have too many unless we are going to be playing three at the back regularly, which Mourinho clearly does not want to despite good results. That leaves RB, Young and Valencia will both be 33 at the start of next season and Young is probably our 1st choice LB right now, maybe 2nd if Shaw keeps performing. Darmian is dreadful and currently even behind Lindelof in the pecking order, hard to believe he will be here much longer. Fosu-Mensah is the reason we might not buy but I'm far from convinced he is good enough going forward. His pace, strength, tackling are immense but I see him as either a CB or a DM long term. So right now I think our second signing will be a right back.

OverratedOpinion

I don't think there will be a marquee signing now that Sanchez is coming in. Possibly spend a decent amount on a midfielder to help out Pogba and Matic.

londonredmaniac

I don't think there will be a marquee signing now that Sanchez is coming in. Possibly spend a decent amount on a midfielder to help out Pogba and Matic.
We will see. I'd be interested to see if we are doing anything with the back four in addition to a CM.

Or as people say, let's see what Pereira can bring. Honestly, as much as I think Herrera can be a smart player...I don't think he offers enough. I'd happily see an upgrade there and Periera have Fellaini spot

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
One thing I like about Mourinho is how he always tells us what our transfers plans are. Every window he has more or less said what he is going to do and then done it, often making the press look stupid in the process when they ignore him.

A couple of weeks ago he said we would be having 2/3 new signings next season. At the time I assumed he meant it would be three minus whoever we bought in January and he has now confirmed that. So with Sanchez signing it will be just two new players in the summer. That means a lot of money will be available for those two players. I agree with the OP that the one big signing he has talked about will be an attacker and I am also hoping it will be Dybala. There has been a fair amount of talk recently in Italy that he is not totally happy at Juventus. Dybala himself has said he could leave and that he misses Pogba. Raiola has said he thinks Dybala will leave. Marotta has said Dybala will stay at Juventus 'unless he asks to leave'. We are hiring Ribalta as our chief scout from Juventus where he was responsible for them signing Dybala in the first place. There just seem to be a lot of small signs that we might try for him and he would be an immense signing if we could pull it off.

Lukaku
Martial Sanchez Dybala
Pogba Matic

Would be our obvious front six. De Gea in goal is also obvious. The defence is far less clear. Shaw has resurrected his United career from the brink of death recently and Mourinho has suggested that if keeps it up we won't be looking for a new LB. Our CB options are silly. We have too many unless we are going to be playing three at the back regularly, which Mourinho clearly does not want to despite good results. That leaves RB, Young and Valencia will both be 33 at the start of next season and Young is probably our 1st choice LB right now, maybe 2nd if Shaw keeps performing. Darmian is dreadful and currently even behind Lindelof in the pecking order, hard to believe he will be here much longer. Fosu-Mensah is the reason we might not buy but I'm far from convinced he is good enough going forward. His pace, strength, tackling are immense but I see him as either a CB or a DM long term. So right now I think our second signing will be a right back.
No point in signing Dybala and putting him on the wing.
Switch him and Sanchez.

settembrini

No point in signing Dybala and putting him on the wing.
Switch him and Sanchez.
Dybala is insanely good at dribbling in from the right wing and looking for passes/shots with his preferred left foot. Almost Messi standard.

Sanchez I've watched since he was at Udinese and I've always felt he played better on the left or through the middle than on the right.

Not a big deal if you think they would line-up the other way round though :)

londonredmaniac

Dybala is insanely good at dribbling in from the right wing and looking for passes/shots with his preferred left foot. Almost Messi standard.

Sanchez I've watched since he was at Udinese and I've always felt he played better on the left or through the middle than on the right.

Wouldn't be an awful problem to have...

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Honestly believe we will go for Özil and skip Dybala as it's financially much cheaper. Would be very happy with Dybala though, and I've barely watched him play.
From what I read on here, Dybala and Griezmann both need to play behind the striker, with Dybala occupying the same rooms as mess after he has moved inwards. But ey, not gonna be bastant about a player I watch once a year. :lol:

RedNed77

Carrick retiring, Fellaini seems to be leaving, Herreras form has gone down the toilet. I can see us bringing in quite a few midfield reinforcements this summer. We'd only have Matic, Pogba & Herrera available. McTominay isn't really doing it for me on the occasions I've seen him. I can see us signing 2 or 3 midfielders this summer.

Kroos & Barella for me. Madrid need cash for their forward line refit and nobodies giving them big bucks for Bale or Ronaldo, other than maybe the Chinese, I couldn't see either of those two being ready to go to China just yet. So they're going to have to look elsewhere within their squad for people to sell. They have replacements within the squad for Kroos and he's never looked like he's Madrid through and through to me, I reckon he could be tempted to try something new.

Scholsey2004

If we get ozil then I can't think of a position we need a really big money signing in. The full back positions could use a bit of tinkering with, a replacement for fellaini (which could conceivably be Pereira and assuming mctominay is Carrick's replacement in the squad) and maybe a second string striker.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Sanchez. We don't have a summer in England.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't see any obvious targets for right back position, and I don't think we will need to address the left back position after Shaw has improved massively in recent weeks.

We will need a central midfielder for sure, especially as Fellaini is almost certainly going to leave and we cannot rely on Herrera to be first choice honestly. Question is do we buy a central midfielder to play with Matic and move Pogba slightly higher up (this is my preference), or buy a more offensive minded midfielder like Ozil and keep Pogba in the midfield two with Matic and only buy a cheap, experienced back up.

We are 2-3 transfers away from being one of the best teams in Europe.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
I don't see any obvious targets for right back position, and I don't think we will need to address the left back position after Shaw has improved massively in recent weeks.

We will need a central midfielder for sure, especially as Fellaini is almost certainly going to leave and we cannot rely on Herrera to be first choice honestly. Question is do we buy a central midfielder to play with Matic and move Pogba slightly higher up (this is my preference), or buy a more offensive minded midfielder like Ozil and keep Pogba in the midfield two with Matic and only buy a cheap, experienced back up.

We are 2-3 transfers away from being one of the best teams in Europe.
Assuming Blind & Darmian might be on the way out and Young & Valencia will be 33 by the start of next season, we definitely will need to look at signing 2 top full backs.
Who the targets should be is a tougher question!

Sarni

Assuming Blind & Darmian might be on the way out and Young & Valencia will be 33 by the start of next season, we definitely will need to look at signing 2 top full backs.
Who the targets should be is a tougher question!
33 is still fine for a back up and we probably have some young players who can act as third choice. Only a right back needed for me, wouldn't want to push Young to third choice full back/winger at all if we intend to develop Shaw into a first team player.

Ideally we will sign someone who will feel comfortable at both left and right back, but as I said, I don't even see a good candidate for the right back - plenty of good left backs going around but not many on the right side unfortunately.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think TFM will be in contention for RB next year, and between him and Tony we're in good shape. Shaw should be given the LB slot, with Young as backup.

If it was me, i'd go in for 2 CM's. One up and coming, and one the finished article. Matic has done well this season but looks dead on his feet at the moment, which makes him look cumbersome and immobile. Bringing in 2 CM's would allow Pogba to be pushed on, and also an alternative for Matic as needed.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'd like to see us bring in a world class CM.
I think Ozil on a FREE is just too good an option to not pursue.
I don't think he would necessarily be first choice but what a fantastic option from the bench or for rotation...!
The creativity shared between Ozil, Sanchez & Pogba would be awesome.

With Sanchez already filling the niche of a marquee attacker, we could have a huge budget for a first XI CM.
Names such as Verratti and Saul could quite possibly be within range, but equally, a less well known player such as Soler could be the choice.
We could conceivably have a budget of around £100M if we took full advantage of the Sanchez & Ozil situations.

I do also think that we will have a nibble at Sandro.
Although Shaw has done really well these past half a dozen games, I'm not convinced that Mourinho will have total faith in him for 60-70 matches next season, and I would be a bit surprised if we didn't have a go at strengthening the LB position.
Season 3 will have to be a full on Mourinho team, so I do think he will try to bring in his own signing in here. £60M for Sandro..?

So in summary, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't bring in three big names this Summer...Sandro, Ozil & a top CM.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think Ozil on a FREE is just too good an option to not pursue.
I don't think he would necessarily be first choice but what a fantastic option from the bench or for rotation...!
The creativity shared between Ozil, Sanchez & Pogba would be awesome.

With Sanchez already filling the niche of a marquee attacker, we could have a huge budget for a first XI CM.
Names such as Verratti and Saul could quite possibly be within range, but equally, a less well known player such as Soler could be the choice.
We could conceivably have a budget of around £100M if we took full advantage of the Sanchez & Ozil situations.

I do also think that we will have a nibble at Sandro.
Although Shaw has done really well these past half a dozen games, I'm not convinced that Mourinho will have total faith in him for 60-70 matches next season, and I would be a bit surprised if we didn't have a go at strengthening the LB position.
Season 3 will have to be a full on Mourinho team, so I do think he will try to bring in his own signing in here. £60M for Sandro..?

So in summary, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't bring in three big names this Summer...Sandro, Ozil & a top CM.
I agree Ozil would be brilliant and up the quality dramatically.

onemanarmy

I don't see any obvious targets for right back position.
Meunier?

Sign Meunier, Sessegnon, 1 CM and 1 versatile attacking player and we are good to go.

Sell Darmian, Blind and Carrick will quit. Decent window.

AmanNits04

Same. I've no doubt he's still absolutely quality fully fit but he's just ridiculously injury prone and only getting older. We should stay well clear.
Now that we have got Sanchez, we should not go anywhere near Bale. Madrid will definitely look to offload him to find their huge transfer window(They do need an overhaul) and I don't want United to be the club to pay them that Money. Rather buy Pulisic and an all action start centre midfielder to balance Pogba and Matic.

Von Mistelroum

We need one of three things as a priority. Either a #10, Right Winger, or a midfielder who can give Pogba the ability to move further forward. I think it depends on where Sanchez ends up playing as to which is the priority signing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Meunier?

Sign Meunier, Sessegnon, 1 CM and 1 versatile attacking player and we are good to go.

In my opinion, we need to at least strengthen 3 positions ie LB, RB, and CM. The former two are mainly because Carrick and Fellaini won’t be here next year. So whom would we sign?

LB: Shaw is decent but he’s also injury prone. That means that we need someone whose good enough to play regular first team football if needed without actually expecting regular first team football either.

Many keep mentioning Sessegnon which is fair enough but I don’t think he fits what we need. From what I’ve seen and read he’s more comfortable further up the pitch. Not to forget that if Shaw picks a long term injury and we’re left with just Sessegnon around to cover up then we’ll be toast.

In my opinion, we should go for Tierney instead and keep Mitchell as the youth/third option instead. The Scot international is a natural LB which is a big plus. He’s more defensive minded then Shaw so in in some ways he would be offering something different to what we already have and he can also slot as RB if we need him.

RB: Valencia had been great for us as RB. However at age 32 then we might consider starting searching for someone to one day replace him. I heard a lot of good things about the Leverkusen kid Henrichs. He’s still young (20ish), he’s quite talented and he’s quite versatile (RB, WB and midfield). At 6ft tall he would fit nicely in Mourinho’s tall defence

CM
: I’ve been thinking a lot of this position and I couldn’t come out with exactly what we need. We know that Carrick and Fellaini are leaving which means we need at least a cover for Matic (whose 29). We also know that we’ve got some good midfielders coming through, whose got great potential but still need a year or two before being considered viable options. Getting just 1 CM would leave us a bit lightweight in midfield while getting 2 would be a bit of an overkill considering we’re already got Herrera, Matic and Pogba in CM.

So what about a compromise? Dier can slot in both DM and CM quite nicely, providing decent cover/competition for both Herrera and Matic. Having 2 decent quality DMs around to cover any mistakes in midfield would allow us to afford playing Mctominay and Fosu Mensah more or even move Mata in a 3 CM midfield (if Shitty can play De Bruyne and Silva there so why can’t we play Mata there) if needed.

If we’ve got money to spare then maybe it’s time we allow Herrera to go in favour of someone like Jorginho. Jorginho covers more inches of pitch, he’s more comfortable in a deeper role, he’s more hard-working and he’s a better passer then the Spaniard. Herrera is less of a lightweight them him but with Dier and Matic around that wouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Sarni

Meunier?

He plays for PSG. I don't believe in our, or anyone's, ability to sign players that PSG are not actively trying to move.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Jeez I see absolutely no reason to replace Valencia at RB. He is a fantastic athlete and showing no sign of slowing down. We have TFM doing fairly well as a possible long term replacement. Left back looks fine as well with Young and Shaw, and Blind as utility player. Would stick with that.

CM does look like the priority with Carrick going, Fellaini doubtful and not sure if McTominay can step up.

unitedforeveral

Matteo Kovacic, Eriksen,Renato Sanches, Sergi Roberto was my first option but a 440 mil release clause breaks my heart, we need a beautiful ball handler in a midfield 3 alongside Pogba- i guess we should bring in a 6 foot player.

suhaylah

Alex Sandro at LB and piss Conte once more.. And then we'll bring at least one CM...

reddaz71

Fabinho, he can be deployed in either CM or the RWB position.

Will be a very astute signing by Mourinho.

Toad

Out of interest, who would you guys want if we are in for a right back? Such a limited market to be honest. Roberto would have been my choice but obviously just signed a new contract. Kimmich? Not too sure really.

JoaquinJoaquin

Matteo Kovacic, Eriksen,Renato Sanches, Sergi Roberto was my first option but a 440 mil release clause breaks my heart, we need a beautiful ball handler in a midfield 3 alongside Pogba- i guess we should bring in a 6 foot player.
Presume you haven't been watching much of the Premier League this season. I was a fan, but he has been terrible in a bad Swansea team. I'd rather we just played Herrera than sign Sanches.