Who will be United's big signing this summer?

unitedforeveral

Presume you haven't been watching much of the Premier League this season. I was a fan, but he has been terrible in a bad Swansea team. I'd rather we just played Herrera than sign Sanches.
i understand he hasn't played much actually not at all but i do think he has potential and under Jose he can develop into a great midfield player. He's just 20+

JoaquinJoaquin

Jose has said we are only signing 2 more in Summer. So, with that being said I think we should be bringing in a CM and possibly a RB. In an ideal world i'd of liked 2 CM's but can't see that happening. We have been linked with Seri, and that will be the type of player we will sign. Can't see it being an elite name.

JoaquinJoaquin

i understand he hasn't played much actually not at all but i do think he has potential and under Jose he can develop into a great midfield player. He's just 20+
We can't afford to gamble, and especially on a very unproven youngster. There is a reason Bayern are trying to wash their hands of him.

unitedforeveral

Jose has said we are only signing 2 more in Summer. So, with that being said I think we should be bringing in a CM and possibly a RB. In an ideal world i'd of liked 2 CM's but can't see that happening. We have been linked with Seri, and that will be the type of player we will sign. Can't see it being an elite name.
Seri is pretty good and i guess he will fit in well with this team. Although i have trouble thinking about a good RB.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Bale
Weigl/Seri/Fred (or whoever we are after)
RB/LB

Something like that

DDG

Valencia
Jones
Bailly
Shaw

Matic
Weigl

Bale
Pogba
Sanchez

Lukaku/Martial

JoaquinJoaquin

Seri is pretty good and i guess he will fit in well with this team. Although i have trouble thinking about a good RB.
Yeah, RB would be the tough one to get. Not too many options spring to mind, Plus Valencia is probably ok for another season anyways IMO. So I wouldn't rush to buy someone for the sake of it.

unitedforeveral

Yeah, RB would be the tough one to get. Not too many options spring to mind, Plus Valencia is probably ok for another season anyways IMO. So I wouldn't rush to buy someone for the sake of it.
Right now we have a wonderful option in one player who's eyed by every big club in the world. He's one of our youth bomb, can u venture a guess?

koop

The optimism in this thread, lol.

• We will never get Kane even if we threw 200m at Spurs, which we won't.
  • Dybala looks less likely now with the arrival of Sanchez, however still a tiny tiny possibility.
  • Ozil could happen if he doesn't sign a new contract with Arsenal in the next coming weeks
I think we need to invest in our defence and midfield; we need another RB and potentially another LB.
I would prefer to splash out on a developed, experienced, godlike CB, since I believe Smalling and Jones are not world class and I notice alot of mistakes from them. We need to try recreate Ferdinand and Vidic :rolleyes:. I'm not even going to waste characters talking about Lindelof.

Not sure who to suggest for CM/CDM but Matic needs some help in there.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
If Monaco miss out on a Champions League place, then they could be ripe for pickings, so maybe we could get one or two from them (but not Falcao again!)?

Apart from that, I don't really see where we are in desperate need for players, people keep on mentioning centre midfield, but I don't see that as too much of a concern, especially if McTominay can keep in developing at his current rate.
He should be worthy of getting more games next season, especially if as expected Fellaini departs.

Sanchez covers a fair few areas of the pitch up top, so when Ibra leaves, he could potentially just take his place as an extra striker if needed, so I don't think we need to sign another striker.

It will be an interesting summer no doubt, but right now, it is hard to think of too many areas where we are in desperate need of a big money signing or two.

RepardReece

Some good suggestions throughout this thread. I agree with the marquee signing being a midfielder this summer, as we possibly won't need reinforcements in attack anymore. But, do we really need a massive signing - should we not just go for an off the radar type of player; the type of signings SAF used to go for. These are my suggestions for the Summer:

Attacking Play.
Ozil
: He's out of contract in the summer and will add to our creativity, can't hurt to ask can it. We lack this creativity without Pogba, Ozil can fill that place when he isn't available, the final pass is clearly still an issue as we saw in the game against Burnley last weekend.
Ji-Sung Park Type Player : Someone who turns up in big games, can provide the extra spark in the attack and provides the edge in those types of games.

Midfielder.
Any big signing that could play behind Pogba - give him even more freedom somewhat like Matic has so far. Pogba ahead of 2 midfielders in a 4-3-3 system is were I believe he plays his best football.

Defence.
At times this season we have been a mess in the back, but have also conceded the least amount of goals of any team in the Premier League this season, so somehow it's working. Lindelof will progress, hopefully and even possibly form a Formidable partnership with Bailly. Smalling and Jones both coming along this season but both are making too many mistakes, as good as they have been at times. Rojo, reminds me of Vidic at times, he's not afraid of anything, just needs to come back into action.
Need a replacement for Valencia though, as good as he has been these past two seasons, he's 33 next season - we should possibly bring in a young player to develop as Valencia fades. Looks like Mou is starting to like Shaw as well, who should continue to develop as Young fades, and hopefully finally fulfil the potential he has.

Nick.

The marquee signing will likely be either Sergej Milinkovic-Savic or Alex Sandro imo. Would be fantastic if we got both. Pogba and Sergej should for the spine of our team for the next 10 years.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm guessing Dybala is out of the running now we have Sanchez. I'm never quite sure what Griezmann's best position is. If he can play behind front men, he may still be in the running. But surely the club will look for a winger and a top-class creative midfielder (if these things exist). I would not be overly shocked if Ronaldo came home and I have a horrible feeling we will be looking for a goalkeeper (if so, it should be Butland)

beingshe7don

Thiago and Mahrez and we would be sorted for atleast 2-3 years.

Martial --- Lukaku --- Mahrez
----------- Sanchez -----------
----- Pogba ----- Thiago -----
--------- Defenders ----------
--------- De Gea -------------

or

Sanchez --- Lukaku --- Mahrez
---- Pogba ---------- Thiago ----
------------ Matic ----------------
---------- Defenders ------------
------------ De Gea -------------

Thiago (90m)
Mahrez (45m)

This isn't happening lol, people need to stop with this. We bought Lukaku and even if Kane was available, all the top teams in Europe would be in for him, Levy would sell outside of England, as he always does with his star players.

rpg

A marquee attacking player in summer I guess pretty much depends on how Martial and Rashford fare now onwards till end season. If things doesnt look rosy, I would expect Bale, Griezmann or a RW coming in.

Else, a marquee midfielder is what we will get.
Woodward history showed he always get one or two every summer right?

United Pro

Kroos would be nice.
Very unlikely and if it were to happen, de Gea would inevitably be going the other way.

I reckon the big signing will be either a midfielder or a defender. Sanchez was the marquee attacking signing, with Mourinho pretty much admitting to that in the recent press conferences.

Bogga

Hopefully not Bale... another Hargreaves. Awesome player when fit, but sadly not fit very often

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Since Ibra is finished in a few months, I can see us going after Dybala. Also, with Fellaini possibly leaving we may go for Vidal or SMS.

Spira0441

I want see in United Zyech from Ajax he is young and powerful and understand attacking football.What do you think?

Spira0441

I want see again in United 2 forwardsekundy same Cole and York and wish back home Cristiano

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Ins:
Wilshere (free)
Danny Rose (£40m)
Leaves us a huge pile of cash to buy a right sided attacking player assuming Sanchez won't be used there.

Outs:
Carrick (retire)
Darmian (£15m)
Zlatan (retire)

Fellaini will sign a new deal I reckon.

I think the above activity leaves us with a pretty complete squad.

Fraud

I thought that Jose already said that the club will spend a lot of money again.The only who remotely looks like as a star and has the chance to end here is Dybala.

Bogga

Anyone still want Fabinho? Can help out in the midfield and cover the RB position... doubt he wants to stay there for the next season

Robbo*

Anyone still want Fabinho? Can help out in the midfield and cover the RB position... doubt he wants to stay there for the next season
Yes I think he will be a useful signing for that reason. anyone know how he's been playing this season? I guess a dip in form could be a result of the loss of key players around him.

engulfing

Our big name signing will probably be ozil. Our big money probably milinkovic-savic and jorginho. Dybala can probably do with 1 more season at juve before coming to replace mata. He needs to sort out the inconsistent and only performs against poor teams tag.

MrSingh2002

Martial Lukaku Sanchez
Rashford Hernandez/Aboubakar Mata

Lingard

Milinkovic-Savic Pogba
Herrera McTominay

Matic
Fabinho

Sandro Rojo Bailly Valencia
Shaw Jones Lindelof Young

De Gea
Romero

IN OUT
Sandro 50m Blind 15m
Fabinho 35m Carrick n/a
Milinkovic-Savic 40m Fellaini n/a
Hernandez/Aboubakar 15/30m Zlatan n/a
Darmian 15m
5 out and 4 in and we're in business for next season. Blind, Carrick, Fellaini, Zlatan and Darmian all have to go for various reasons and will need to be replaced.

We clearly need to address the left back position. I'd get rid of both Darmian and Blind and give their wages to a superstar left back and keep Shaw as backup/rotation.

The midfield needs adding to in order to replace Carrick, Fellaini and possibly Herrera leaving. I believe we should bring in able deputies and players who can also be first choices like Fabinho and M Savic to take some stress off Matic and Pogba.

With Zlatan going lets bring in a striker that has different qualities to Lukaku. Either a poacher like a Hernandez who is available or Aboubakar who will surely become a huge player in the near future.

With the 4 above signings we've got the flexibility to play either 433, 4231 or 352.

Bezuldur

We should try to sign Meunier from PSG as our heir to Valencia, he is a United fan (still saying it while being at PSG). He is a real threat going forward and connect very well with Lukaku in the belgian national team.

ROFLUTION

Would people be disappointed if Sanchez was the only really big name ?
Not really.. Sort of think we're at a stage with too many cooks. Rather a sensible signing like wingback (Rose) or a veteran (Ozil). Rashford, Lingard and Martial needs games too.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Wow, so many people here wishing for us to sign so many players, do people not wish to see Mensah, Tuzanbe, McTominay, Gomes, and Rashford get more games with us next season??

It is as if people are very happy to never see them develop, and just wish to see as many signings made as possible, which is just a very poor mindset to have.

Skills

Snitch
Why is RB made to be such a game changing signing for us? We already have a really good RB in Valencia, and whoever we buy is going to have a challenge to displace him. Yet some people think, once we fix that we're sorted.

Dare to Zlatan

Supports
Zlatan
I can’t beleive there’s people on this forum who actually think we should be re-signing Hernandez!! :houllier:

Bezuldur

Why is RB made to be such a game changing signing for us? We already have a really good RB in Valencia, and whoever we buy is going to have a challenge to displace him. Yet some people think, once we fix that we're sorted.
Because Valencia isn't getting any younger and has no competition in the team for the moment. Competition for a place usually elevate the performances of those players. They would share the starting position for the next year with the new guy (hopefully Meunier) completly taking over the season after.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
We have Mensah coming back who can play that role if needs be, so we definitely do not need to sign anyone for that role, it would be a waste of money for us to do so.

davidmichael

I think we’ll sign a left back, central midfielder and a right sided forward although I can see us signing Ozil on a free still too.

Signing Sanchez means we’ve got a world class attacker that can play in any of the furthest four positions but I just can’t help seeing us signing Bale this summer too as I think Zlatan is 100% off in the summer so Lukaku and Rashford will battle it out for the strikers role meaning Sanchez, Martial, Bale, Lingard and Ozil battling it out for the 2 or 3 other positions depending on formation.

Even though Luke Shaw has come into some form we know he COULD get injured again at any time so if we know it then Jose does too so I still see a left back coming in so maybe Alex Sandro, I like Ashley Young but I think he’s better as right back as his crossing ability is far superior to Valencia and wouldn’t have to cut inside every time to put the ball in the box.

A central midfielder is a must and by the looks of it Jose wants a Scholes/Xavi type, Kroos or Verratti would be the dream but both unlikely. I like what I’ve seen of Seri and Weigl so I’d be happy with either and think both are attainable for the right price.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
I think we’ll sign a left back, central midfielder and a right sided forward although I can see us signing Ozil on a free still too.

Signing Sanchez means we’ve got a world class attacker that can play in any of the furthest four positions but I just can’t help seeing us signing Bale this summer too as I think Zlatan is 100% off in the summer so Lukaku and Rashford will battle it out for the strikers role meaning Sanchez, Martial, Bale, Lingard and Ozil battling it out for the 2 or 3 other positions depending on formation.

Even though Luke Shaw has come into some form we know he COULD get injured again at any time so if we know it then Jose does too so I still see a left back coming in so maybe Alex Sandro, I like Ashley Young but I think he’s better as right back as his crossing ability is far superior to Valencia and wouldn’t have to cut inside every time to put the ball in the box.

A central midfielder is a must and by the looks of it Jose wants a Scholes/Xavi type, Kroos or Verratti would be the dream but both unlikely. I like what I’ve seen of Seri and Weigl so I’d be happy with either and think both are attainable for the right price.
You say that Shaw could get injured again at any time, but isn't that the same for any player??
Why single Shaw out for that? Which players could this not also apply to??