Who, with me, believes we can win the premier league?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I also thought this season had a chance to be really weird with the WC in the middle and the constant run of games. All it takes is a couple of injuries or knocks and next thing you know Brighton could be in 3rd come March because none of their players play internationally (just an example but you know what I mean).
Yeah, I thought about the WC as well and initially thought Spurs might shock everyone to win the PL (totally due to Conte’s 2nd season ability) - but they do seem a bit off so I’m not sure.

It just feels like one of those Leicester City title win days when everyone is going to be kind of close to the point that someone may surprise us in the league.

OrcaFat

Fourth place would be a fantastic achievement. Nearly every pundit had us down for 5th-7th place finish this season, and for good reason.
Most of those predictions were before we got Casemiro and Anthony.

Member 125398

Hope it's OK to bump this. If we win our next 2 games and get another striker, we're right in the mix.

lex talionis

Let’s not do this. We’ve mastered crawling and are learning to walk. We have not yet learned to run.

When we beat City and somehow are within 6 points of the table leader, then a bit of hope is in order.

pogbasformerbarber

Hope it's OK to bump this. If we win our next 2 games and get another striker, we're right in the mix.
My gut says this is a little crazy, but the more I think about it the more I feel like there might be some sense here. Getting a striker is key though…it has a trickle effect down the whole squad and keeps everyone in their strong positions. Without that I think too 4 is the best we could hope for…

The optimism comes from Case and Varane (and Shaws form). They have completely transformed our defence to the point of it being elite enough to have such dreams. I could see a scenario where a proper ST then unlocks the offence.

I wouldn’t bet the house on it though…I think a Carabao Cup is much more in play…

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm ready to get hurt again :lol:

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We can be better then Newcastle and Spurs, we may match Arsenal and Liverpool on our day, but we need lots of luck to beat Citeh. So, nope. Not this season or next, unless we become more consistent and receive lots of luck.

mu4c_20le

I'd be very happy with top 4, think that's a huge win for ETH given all that's happened, and the competition involved.

Andy_Cole

It’s possible yes but I don’t think we’re there yet. But if we basically have Arsenal like form from now to the end of the season (19/22 wins) I think we’d catch Arsenal and finish ahead of City. We just won’t win 19 games.

Red Rash

I think it's hugely unlikely for a few reasons:

1. We are still missing a real striker and in some games we will end up drawing or losing due to not taking our chances
2. We are lacking squad depth. If Varane or Casemiro get injured the drop off is huge as this would mean playing the likes of Maguire, Lindelof, Fred and McTominay.
3. The quality of the some of the squads at the top is better than ours right now and they have a pretty significant points advantage already (Arsenal and City in particular).

If we can get top four AND find new competent owners who are willing to invest in the squad we may stand half a chance of challenging next season hopefully

Someone

Something
Top 4 is the goal, and it's far from guaranteed. We don't have enough goals or depth for a title challenge, and It'd require a massive collapse from Arsenal and City. It's not impossible but highly unlikely.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
We arguably need another midfielder as much as a striker.

We lose control of games against the worst teams in the league. We still park the bus against good teams and counter.

Just a striker would help but De Jong and a striker and we could really challenge arsenal.

Sviken

We still have massive blind spots in our squad (striker to name the biggest one) and our squad is paper thin. If Varane or Martinez get some long term injury, we're fecked. Winning the title would be nothing short of a miracle. I'm happy to see United fans once again having ambition and hope for the future, but one step at a time. Top 4 and a cup would be a very good season.

FujiVice

Top 4 and the sale of the club is my ambition this year. The future is bright for the first time in a while.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we get top 4 and new owners before the summer I will be absolutely delighted.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
If we had the amount of luck Arsenal have had in this first 16 games of the season then who knows - there’s every chance.

Danish Wizard

The next three weeks will determine, whether we "are in the mix" or not.
We play Arsenal & City.
Arsenal also play Newcastle.
City have Chelsea away.

With the right results in these top-6 matches, and of course wins in the more easy fixtures, then the league will be wide open by February.. But again, we might also be completely out of the race.. One match at the time lads.

Siorac

No, we very obviously can't win the league. All else aside, we're 11 points behind Arsenal and with 16 games played we have a goal difference of +4... nothing about us screams title contender.

We'll be an 'around the top 4' kind of team for the foreseeable future.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think it's hugely unlikely for a few reasons:

1. We are still missing a real striker and in some games we will end up drawing or losing due to not taking our chances
2. We are lacking squad depth. If Varane or Casemiro get injured the drop off is huge as this would mean playing the likes of Maguire, Lindelof, Fred and McTominay.
3. The quality of the some of the squads at the top is better than ours right now and they have a pretty significant points advantage already (Arsenal and City in particular).

If we can get top four AND find new competent owners who are willing to invest in the squad we may stand half a chance of challenging next season hopefully
Unlikely I agree
1. never a truer point made

2. Casemiro is the key, he;s the one we can't replace, Maguire is nowhere near as bad as is made out to be, half is problems are related to having McFred in front of him, Fred has shown his value as a sub but his limitations as a starter, McT and Lindelof should be sold in the summer as IMO they aren't good enough

3. A CF and another CM and we'll be challenging next season

Scottynaldinho

Just saw the fixture list and it looks bleak. Even the top 4 will be out reach on 25th of April.

mu4c_20le

No, we very obviously can't win the league. All else aside, we're 11 points behind Arsenal and with 16 games played we have a goal difference of +4... nothing about us screams title contender.

We'll be an 'around the top 4' kind of team for the foreseeable future.
To be fair, I think we'll be mounting a challenge as soon as next season. If we started this season properly and not dropped those two games, we'd be challenging right now. But we fecked up too many times and arsenal barely any.

cyberman

Well know after our City and Arsenal games. Positive results would leave us with a fantastic set of fixtures for a second half of the season which is ridiculous if you think about it. We’d have played 7 of the 10 games v last years top 5 already. It really brings the chance of a consistent run

M Bison

Supports
York City
We’re a top quality striker short in my view. Put RvP or Rooney of old in the team and I’d say we could challenge but we don’t score enough and Martial is never going to drag the team there when we’re struggling for a goal.

Member 125398

To be fair, I think we'll be mounting a challenge as soon as next season. If we started this season properly and not dropped those two games, we'd be challenging right now. But we fecked up too many times and arsenal barely any.
Give it time:D

redNATION

Not this season, but I'd put money on it next season. Once the Qataris complete the takeover and transfer over PSG's best players to us - Mbappe, Marquinhos and Hakimi - then we'd be the strongest team in the league, a decade after the great man left us.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
If we had the amount of luck Arsenal have had in this first 16 games of the season then who knows - there’s every chance.
If we get the amount of luck like Liverpool vs Leicester - Pool not even scoring one goal and winning the match, then and only then maybe.

redmanx

Nothing wrong with starting the new year with a show of optimism! City and the Scousers are not running away with the Prem and are well within our sights, granted that we get a reliable goal scorer. Arsenal are the ones to watch as they are not putting a foot wrong and look extremely formidable.....but if the wheels fall off the Aresenal wagon we must ensure we are in position to capitalize. If we're still in spitting distance by May then who knows?

SATA

It’s okay chasing one team for top spot but not two teams at once, so no. I would take fourth now and I don’t mean to sound like a defeatist

Threesus

If we are to have a chance, we need martial, Antony and Sancho to start contributing. Is anyone here confident that they can do that consistently?

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Not this season, but I'd put money on it next season. Once the Qataris complete the takeover and transfer over PSG's best players to us - Mbappe, Marquinhos and Hakimi - then we'd be the strongest team in the league, a decade after the great man left us.
A certainty.
We would be as well bringing Messi and Neymar as well for a bit of back up from the bench. They would make good impact subs

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If only we’d of won the first 2 games we’d be 2nd and fighting arsenal with the form we’re in.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If we are to have a chance, we need martial, Antony and Sancho to start contributing. Is anyone here confident that they can do that consistently?
I’m confident sancho will come back and contribute. Not sure on the other 2. Think Antony may come good eventually… if martial carry’s on playing like he did against wolves then he’d be the weak link.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think it’ll be Arsenal/City followed by Utd/Liverpool making up the top four. Seems inevitable at this stage.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I love a bit of optimism but we are 11 points behind a team that have won 43 of 48 possible points, and showing no signs of a collapse. We aren't going to catch them.

Let's focus on the original goals we had last summer. Building the foundations of a strong side (check), a gradual and continual evolution in our playing style (check), and finally a top 4 finish (looking promising).