Who, with me, believes we can win the premier league?

croadyman

Arsenal - 85
City - 82
United - 82

Either way being so close to the top would be a miracle considering the state we were in last season.
Yeah that would be fantastic points tally but would mean dropping only 9 pts between now and May which is big ask. I hate those leeches for not giving Erik that extra £7m for Felix loan in January.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Yeah that would be fantastic points tally but would mean dropping only 9 pts between now and May which is big ask. I hate those leeches for not giving Erik that extra £7m for Felix loan in January.
I was being optimistic, which is why I think winning the league is out of the question, if we go by our average points so far we'll end up on 76 points - which is a phenomenal return all things considered.

If we actually want to win the league we're going to have to pick up about 90% of our remaining points to have a chance which would put us on 86 points, leaves us with a margin of one loss and two draws, we play some tough teams in a horrible schedule too.

As you say, we've been hamstrung yet again by the parasites that own us.

croadyman

I was being optimistic, which is why I think winning the league is out of the question, if we go by our average points so far we'll end up on 76 points - which is a phenomenal return all things considered.

If we actually want to win the league we're going to have to pick up about 90% of our remaining points to have a chance which would put us on 86 points, leaves us with a margin of one loss and two draws, we play some tough teams in a horrible schedule too.

Yeah got some aways that wouldn't be quite so awkward IF we have some free midweeks in March and April. I feel bad about wanting to lose but the rest could give us that extra 5% to win some of these.

I would love to know what garbage reason they gave Erik for not being willing to push harder for such a quality creative option.

Winrar

Although definitely mathematically possible, I think we dropped one too many points here and there to really give it a serious go this season. The disastrous start didn't help either.

Still, it's a massive credit to our players and ETH for digging us out of a precarious situation in less than ideal circumstances. Next season will be crucial as we still need more quality coverage in multiple positions, but for the first time in many years I actually feel optimistic about where this club is headed.

croadyman

Although definitely mathematically possible, I think we dropped one too many points here and there to really give it a serious go this season. The disastrous start didn't help either.

Still, it's a massive credit to our players and ETH for digging us out of a precarious situation in less than ideal circumstances. Next season will be crucial as we still need more quality coverage in multiple positions, but for the first time in many years I actually feel optimistic about where this club is headed.
I will flip it and say yes we should have beaten Palace and held on for draw at Arsenal but we have also shown spirit to get 5 pts back on Arsenal since that game. Midweek was very frustrating because we scored that equaliser with more than enough time to get winner.

There is a chance we might get another route back into that sort of position between now and April but need to do our own job too. Otherwise we won't be there to punish if the opportunity
unexpectedly arises.

Lennon

Those 2 games against Brentfort and Brighton at the start of the season hurt even more now...

croadyman

Those 2 games against Brentfort and Brighton at the start of the season hurt even more now...
They were big learning curves for us,that Brentford defeat really put the fire into Casa to get us off the bottom of table and he did.

City have had shockers most notably losing at Spurs and home to Brentford,like many have said it's the Palace and Arsenal games that hurt us. We had such big momentum after that derby win.

foolsgold

There's going to be twists and turns, all the teams are going to lose games they are expected to win. I'm really happy with where we're heading, but I think cups and injuries are going to catch up on us at some point and ultimately we're just too far back to do it this year. We'll end 2nd or 3rd and maybe pick up a cup or two, let's be honest we'd all have taken that 2 weeks in.

moodyred

An Arsenal loss against City may just change everything if we keep winning ours.

croadyman

4 points lost vs Palace and Leeds hurt so much
Yes it does but we just might get a chance to redeem ourselves for those games. Favours can sometimes come in the most unlikely of places. Honestly when Arsenal beat us on Jan 22 I didn't give us a prayer of getting this close again. I thought we would well behind both when they played each other.

Demon Barber

I think that winning the league is unrealistic, despite our current position and the fact that there are still so many games to play. I know it is not impossible but it is improbable, and I love the fact that we were second for a brief moment yesterday.

I am happy with where we are and the progress we have made in such a short space of time. The fact that we are significantly ahead of Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea is an encouraging indication of how far we have come under EtH.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can't see it - frankly to even be mentioned is a minor miracle when you look back to August. Get the right players in (and enough of them)in the summer and we might mount a real challenge next season

Longshanks

I'm not sure 76 points is particularly remarkable for a team that spent 200million on transfers in the summer. It's about the minimum you would expect really.

In comparison to last season it looks remarkable but I think it's quite clear to see that there was a massive destabilising factor last season from a senior player who split the dressing room got the manager sacked and then basically organised a mutiny against the new manager.

76 points takes us back to about where we were in 20/21. Comfortable in the top 4 just outside the title race. I think that is where we are currently. Let's hope we get the summer right this time and the sign right kind of players.

I don't think we are in the title race we might nip at the heels of arsenal and city In the next month or two but I think we are still to inconsistent especially away from home to really mount a challenge.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
So, what is the best outcome this Wednesday? A draw or a City win?
A City win.

It means the gap to the top doesn’t change for us (5 points), but the two teams above us all have an extra game played.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We maybe inconsistent but so are city & arsenal. Thats why its not out the window yet for me.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I just want to see us win one of FA Cup/Buffalo Cup and Europa League.
Micky Mouse double is more than enough for me and a Top 4 finish.

next_number_seven

I think we're lacking creativity and scoring power.

Also our midfield without Eriksen and Casemiro is lacking.

I think if Eriksen was fit and we signed a quality striker, we might make a decent title challenge

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I just want to see us win one of FA Cup/Buffalo Cup and Europa League.
Micky Mouse double is more than enough for me and a Top 4 finish.
Would you like some extra sauce with that sir?

lex talionis

Yeah chasing down one is hard enough but when it's two and you have neither to play either it's virtually mission impossible
@Plant0x84 makes a good point I keep overlooking, which is that Arsenal and City still to have face each other twice. Two draws would suit us perfectly, but if not that then each getting only one win would be suitable enough. But Arsenal have two games in hand on us, one of which is against City on Wednesday.

When we go back over how this season unfolded we'll rightly first point to the debacle of the first two matches as opponents we should have instead defeated, but the late goal leading to defeat to Arsenal in January in the end wasted a great chance to rewrite the narrative of the season from a solid recovery after a horror beginning to an improbable but glorious title run.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i know it’s early days in ten hag’s stewardship. i know there are a lot of games to go. i know injuries to the wrong players would impact us terribly, but i can’t shake the feeling that if we end the season with more points than everyone else, we might just bloody win the thing.
still can’t shake this.

dove

Too soon. Next year we could have a real chance with proper investment in some key areas. I know we are still well within a distance (especially if Arsenal loses both games against City) but I just don't think we have enough. We are 1 injury/suspension to Casemiro/Rashford away from having our performance levels drop significantly.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I'm not sure 76 points is particularly remarkable for a team that spent 200million on transfers in the summer. It's about the minimum you would expect really.

In comparison to last season it looks remarkable but I think it's quite clear to see that there was a massive destabilising factor last season from a senior player who split the dressing room got the manager sacked and then basically organised a mutiny against the new manager.

76 points takes us back to about where we were in 20/21. Comfortable in the top 4 just outside the title race. I think that is where we are currently. Let's hope we get the summer right this time and the sign right kind of players.

I don't think we are in the title race we might nip at the heels of arsenal and city In the next month or two but I think we are still to inconsistent especially away from home to really mount a challenge.
We've only had more than 76 points once in the last decade - it's remarkable for us considering we've spent shed loads in that decade too and looked crap.

To achieve a 76 point finish after last season is even more remarkable, you can down play it all you want, but that destabilising player was here st the start of this season too and Ten Hag has literally transformed us within a year.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We've only had more than 76 points once in the last decade - it's remarkable for us considering we've spent shed loads in that decade too and looked crap.

To achieve a 76 point finish after last season is even more remarkable, you can down play it all you want, but that destabilising player was here st the start of this season too and Ten Hag has literally transformed us within a year.
Within like 6 months*.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Within like 6 months*.
Well, he was appointed in April, don't think we were transformed before October.

Either way, the guys amazing and if, IF he manages to do the miraculous and wins the title in his first year, then he's well on his way to getting a statue outside OT! :lol:

Siorac

Ten Hag has improved us a lot after last season's debacle and put the team back on track. It's a little too early to talk about a transformation though. Finishing third with a points total in the seventies would be a good, strong season, exceeding my expectations but not exactly a transformation just yet.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Ten Hag has improved us a lot after last season's debacle and put the team back on track. It's a little too early to talk about a transformation though. Finishing third with a points total in the seventies would be a good, strong season, exceeding my expectations but not exactly a transformation just yet.
I can't remember the last time we actually dominated possession, even against smaller teams we were absolutely atrocious since Fergie, we're doing that more often now.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thread title always reminds me of that cringe "I believe that we will win" chant in the US.

MyBloodIsRed

Arse have
- City home
- City away
- Pool
- Chelsea
- Newcastle Away
Plus a few trickey london "derby" aways (Hammers, Fulham)

City have
- Arse away
- Arse home
- Newcastle home
- Pool
- Chelsea
- Brentford away

We have
- Pool away
- Newcastle away
- Chelsea
- Spurs away

We need help but our "bigger" games on paper are easier than them. We have West Ham away and Brighton away too that will be tough matches. Unfortunately we need to go on a run and need help. As much as I want to beat Barca as a statement we are on the rise and back, I fear what Europa games will do to this squad. I'd rather us play really well but come up just short and go for the FA Cup. If we could nab 1-2 cups + back in CL next season that is a dream start for ETH.

RopersReturn

With 15 more EPL fixtures left for us, we have a reasonable chance to gain points at home. A few tricky away games still and a couple of awkward home games, notably-

Liverpool Away 05/03
Brighton Away 19/03
Newcastle Away 01/04
Chelsea Home 22/04
Aston Villa Home 29/04

Eriku

The charges will eventually get to City. They are already inconsistent.
Arsenal are already showing they are getting into their usual meltdown.

We are getting players back from suspension / injury And we have an incredible manager.
Just look at Rashford.

We absolutely have a very good chance at winning the title.
Good to see you posting on the Caf again :)

I agree with what you’ve highlighted, we’re in with a shot, it’s only February.

Wheato

If Arsenal and City have 2 draws when they play each other and we win our games then we are going to be right up there.

croadyman

Arse have
- City home
- City away
- Pool
- Chelsea
- Newcastle Away
Plus a few trickey london "derby" aways (Hammers, Fulham)

City have
- Arse away
- Arse home
- Newcastle home
- Pool
- Chelsea
- Brentford away

We have
- Pool away
- Newcastle away
- Chelsea
- Spurs away

We need help but our "bigger" games on paper are easier than them. We have West Ham away and Brighton away too that will be tough matches. Unfortunately we need to go on a run and need help. As much as I want to beat Barca as a statement we are on the rise and back, I fear what Europa games will do to this squad. I'd rather us play really well but come up just short and go for the FA Cup. If we could nab 1-2 cups + back in CL next season that is a dream start for ETH.
Arsenal's game with pool is away too

Todd

We still have a canceled match that hasn't been rescheduled yet, correct? I was looking at the remaining fixtures on ESPN and there's only 14 scheduled according to them.

April is going to be brutal with 6 matches, among which are Newcastle, Chelsea, and Spurs. But if we're in striking distance come May we've got 4 matches that I'd fully expect us to win to finish off the season.

Assuming our missing match will be rescheduled for March as it sure as hell can't happen in April...