Who would you have as our new manager

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Flavour* of the month. Yes. Watched much of Dortmund this season? He won't last at Dortmund. Honestly, assuming we get through against Olympiakos, they're the most preferable opponent we could get in the quarters. You make out like he's kept Dortmund at the top of German football for a decade. He got them up there and now it can't be maintained.

Ole's hardly set the world alight has he? It's not so much that he had a poor start as that he's not really done anything that we expected of him in order for him to be a viable candidate at United. If he comes to Old Trafford or City and gets a result, then maybe you can start believing the hype, but in the end, he didn't, and they weren't remotely convincing against Norwich. He's not the saviour you want.

Tell me where all the talk for Simeone to be our next manager was before this season. Nowhere to be seen.
He took a team who was lingering at the lower end of the Bundersliga and struggling in debt, he built an entire squad mainly out of bargains and took them on top of the German and European football world by playing fantastic football. For Christ sake if the likes of Simeone and Klopp have not achieved anything for your standards then what the hell has the so called chosen one did in all his football career?

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Has anyone said Ferguson yet?

Let's be honest, probably more likely than some of the names in this thread!

Varun

Staff
Flavour* of the month. Yes. Watched much of Dortmund this season? He won't last at Dortmund. Honestly, assuming we get through against Olympiakos, they're the most preferable opponent we could get in the quarters. You make out like he's kept Dortmund at the top of German football for a decade. He got them up there and now it can't be maintained.
And then you question if people have watched much of Dortmund. They are literally one of the worst teams we could come up against due to their style. They are the epitome of what we dont like to play against. A fast paced direct team which presses like crazy.

Regarding the last bit, you think he's a magician? No manager can compete against a team like Bayern with the resources dortmund had till recently. You must be kidding yourself if you believe otherwise. They've just signed 2 of his best players ffs. Specially now that they have a manager like Guardiola, the only way Dortmund are going to compete would be to get top players in.

EDIT: I must add I havent seen much of Dortmund this season besides the CL and the odd league game but unless they have dropped the pace with which they play, their direct pacy game or their high pressing style, there's just 1 club I'd say that'd be definitely tougher to play against.

Liam147

On Probation
Simeone won the UEFA Europa League, UEFA Super cup, the Copa Del Rey and 2 Argentinian Premier Leagues. What had Moyes won exactly? Ah yeah, the Charity Shield
With a very good team. Atleti>>>Everton Falcao>>>Fellaini.

As I've said, Martinez's Wigan won the FA Cup (against Man City). Things happen in football. The true test is doing it over a long period of time, neither of whom has done that.
Simeone has won nothing as opposed to our Moyesy who can't stop winning trophies at Everton and Manchester United
Never said he won nothing, but well done on totally making up something. Really, well done.
He took a team who was lingering at the lower end of the Bundersliga and struggling in debt, he built an entire squad mainly out of bargains and took them on top of the German and European football world by playing fantastic football. For Christ sake if the likes of Simeone and Klopp have not achieved anything for your standards then what the hell has the so called chosen one did in all his football career?
It's not that they've never achieved anything. I've repeatedly said that Klopp's done well at Dortmund. I've also said on a number of occasions that Sir Alex Ferguson knows better than anyone what it takes to manage this club. It's not just about what you've won at a club, it's your personality. He knows Moyes very well and obviously thought he'd be the most suitable manager for the club.

Varun

Staff
Has anyone said Ferguson yet?

Let's be honest, probably more likely than some of the names in this thread!
No.

We need to move on.

Even if things go real bad, I dont want Sir Alex back even on a short term basis.

Liam147

On Probation
And then you question if people have watched much of Dortmund. They are literally one of the worst teams we could come up against due to their style. They are the epitome of what we dont like to play against. A fast paced direct team which presses like crazy.

Regarding the last bit, you think he's a magician? No manager can compete against a team like Bayern with the resources dortmund had till recently. You must be kidding yourself if you believe otherwise. They've just signed 2 of his best players ffs. Specially now that they have a manager like Guardiola, the only way Dortmund are going to compete would be to get top players in.
City/Barca
PSG
Real Madrid
Bayern
Atleti
Chelsea
Dortmund

We've lost to Chelsea 3-1 over two legs this season. We got spanked 4-1 by City, and Barca could knock them out yet. Paris for me depend on the likes of Ibra. If he turns up, we'd probably go out to them. Although while their squad is still fully fit, I'd rather avoid them. Madrid. Bayern. Atleti would knock us out unless their small squad does start picking up injuries. We wouldn't play them till late March so things could change, but right now I wouldn't fancy being anywhere near them. They're bang in form. Then there's Dortmund who've had a lot of injuries (like us) this season. They've lost a lot of their top players and aren't the side that got to the CL final last year.

And you think they're one of the worst teams we could draw? Who's more preferable?

Dominos

van Gaal!? So we spend a year trying to implement a new style of football, then get in a new totally contrasting manager who'll spend the next year doing the same thing. He's also 62, Holland manager, and I absolutely hate his face.

Flavour of the month. Dortmund struggling horrendously this year.

Not really achieved anything. His 'achievements' this season don't count as they haven't actually won anything yet. Their squad is far too small to keep it going on all fronts. Something has to give. Also flavour of the month.

Jesus.

Achieved very little. Did very well with Molde, a totally insignificant club. Had a poor start at Cardiff. Not the revolutionary many expected/hoped.

feck me sideways, lads, these are some God-awful suggestions.
We're not implementing a style under Moyes. It's just a shit version of what we were doing before. We needed someone who could get us playing better football and get us passing the ball like a top team when Fergie retired. It might be a year too late but getting a top coach like Van Gaal in is just what we need.

Klopp and Simeone flavour of the month :lol: you must be on a windup.

Gotta say I have to agree Ole would be anything but a logical choice, at this point anyway. If he wasn't an ex-player, would anyone really think it was a good idea? If someone came on here told us there's this random young manager who'd taken a club to their first ever league title in Norway, and suggested he should be our next manager, we'd tell them to feck off and let him prove himself on a big stage somewhere else.

devilish

With a very good team. Atleti>>>Everton Falcao>>>Fellaini.

As I've said, Martinez's Wigan won the FA Cup (against Man City). Things happen in football. The true test is doing it over a long period of time, neither of whom has done that.

Never said he won nothing, but well done on totally making up something. Really, well done.

It's not that they've never achieved anything. I've repeatedly said that Klopp's done well at Dortmund. I've also said on a number of occasions that Sir Alex Ferguson knows better than anyone what it takes to manage this club. It's not just about what you've won at a club, it's your personality. He knows Moyes very well and obviously thought he'd be the most suitable manager for the club.
United are supposed to be better then athletico and yet under Moyes we are 7 th.

In my opinion winning the uefa and the super cup with athletico is remarkable. Same as taking a sleeping giant who were in great debt on top of the world. However everything pales in comparision of being chosen by SAF.

Varun

Staff
City/Barca
PSG
Real Madrid
Bayern
Atleti
Chelsea
Dortmund

We've lost to Chelsea 3-1 over two legs this season. We got spanked 4-1 by City, and Barca could knock them out yet. Paris for me depend on the likes of Ibra. If he turns up, we'd probably go out to them. Although while their squad is still fully fit, I'd rather avoid them. Madrid. Bayern. Atleti would knock us out unless their small squad does start picking up injuries. We wouldn't play them till late March so things could change, but right now I wouldn't fancy being anywhere near them. They're bang in form. Then there's Dortmund who've had a lot of injuries (like us) this season. They've lost a lot of their top players and aren't the side that got to the CL final last year.

And you think they're one of the worst teams we could draw? Who's more preferable?
The bundesliga is done and dusted. Dortmund will be focusing on the CL.

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd only rather face Dortmund than Bayern. That's not to say that the others wont beat us. We'd lose to pretty much every team on that list bar PSG and Chelsea ( really dont think they deserved the 3-1 at all) but I am ignoring the fact that we cant even beat Stoke atm because if we continue playing like this, we're going out in the QFs regardless.

Liam147

On Probation
United are supposed to be better then athletico and yet under Moyes we are 7 th.

In my opinion winning the uefa and the super cup with athletico is remarkable. Same as taking a sleeping giant who were in great debt on top of the world. However everything pales in comparision of being chosen by SAF.
Right, but that argument doesn't hold any water, as United are clearly better than Everton, with or without Moyes.
The bundesliga is done and dusted. Dortmund will be focusing on the CL.

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd only rather face Dortmund than Bayern. That's not to say that the others wont beat us. We'd lose to pretty much every team on that list bar PSG and Chelsea ( really dont think they deserved the 3-1 at all) but I am ignoring the fact that we cant even beat Stoke atm because if we continue playing like this, we're going out in the QFs regardless.
No they won't. They need to make sure they'll get into next season's tournament first. You'd rather face City/Barca or Madrid than Dortmund, who've lost most of their team? Weird, that.

devilish

Right, but that argument doesn't hold any water, as United are clearly better than Everton, with or without Moyes.

No they won't. They need to make sure they'll get into next season's tournament first. You'd rather face City/Barca or Madrid than Dortmund, who've lost most of their team? Weird, that.
My point is that falcao wouldnt achieve anything if hes manager is a dunce. Take united as an example weve got some great players here and we are 7th

Varun

Staff
Nope, I'd have Dortmund on a similar level to City/Barca or Real in that each of them would beat us fair and square. I meant only Bayern definitely above them because they'd just wreck havoc.

And what's this about most of their team being injured. Its just Subotic and now that blazsc guy right? Gundogan is returning soon.

Liam147

On Probation
My point is that falcao wouldnt achieve anything if hes manager is a dunce. Take united as an example weve got some great players here and we are 7th
Pretty hard for Moyes to get the best out of van Persie plainly doesn't like him. Some of our senior players have behaved thoroughly unprofessionally towards Moyes, making his job much harder than it already was.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
By the quaterfinals Gündogan might be back so if they don't have any more unfortunate injuries Dortmund will be fielding their best squad bar Subotic who is going to be replaced by Sokratis who arguably is on the same level and Kuba who had a bad season even before he got his injury. That's still pretty much the same team that won the group against Napoli, Marseille and Arsenal + Gündogan and Piszczek on top.

Your argument: 'Fergie chose Moyes so he must be the best' does not take into account that other managers might not have been available at that time.
Klopp supposedly had loads of offers last summer but turned all of them down, so how do you know Fergie didn't ask him and got turned down before he asked Moyes? Same with Pep and Mourinho. It's all a matter of discretion.
Also despite all his achievements SAF is not omniscient..

Last edited:

Varun

Staff
Pretty hard for Moyes to get the best out of van Persie plainly doesn't like him. Some of our senior players have behaved thoroughly unprofessionally towards Moyes, making his job much harder than it already was.
What's this based on now? RVP doesnt like him? Players have behaved unprofessionally? Know something we dont Liam?

Dominos

Van Gaal
Simeone
Pellegrini
Klopp
Hiddink
Ancelotti
Pep
Conte
Heynckes
Mourinho
Del Bosque

4 of them changed clubs in the summer, another 2 left their respective clubs, and that's before we even go into trying to tempt a manager who's under contract. And yet we chose Moyes. It's fecking tragic, it really is.

Liam147

On Probation
What's this based on now? RVP doesnt like him? Players have behaved unprofessionally? Know something we dont Liam?
Yeah, quite clear Moyes and RVP don't get on. Moyes changed his training methods and RVP started picking up injuries. Then there's Rio leaking the team to the press which I find inexcusable in the circumstances. You've got a new manager up against it, needing all the players to rally round and get behind him, and you've got Rio pulling shit like that?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Unless you're dealing with anti-social cnuts keeping players happy/managing egos is part of a manager's skillset.

Varun

Staff
Yeah, quite clear Moyes and RVP don't get on. Moyes changed his training methods and RVP started picking up injuries. Then there's Rio leaking the team to the press which I find inexcusable in the circumstances. You've got a new manager up against it, needing all the players to rally round and get behind him, and you've got Rio pulling shit like that?
:lol: That Moyes and RVP bit is such media fed bullshit Liam.

Regardiing Rio, this is the first time am hearing this. Source?

Revan

Assumptionman
How do you know that RVP doesn't like Moyes?

And even if that us true, liking and respecting someone doesn't come by default. You have to earn that respect.

Liam147

On Probation
:lol: That Moyes and RVP bit is such media fed bullshit Liam.

Regardiing Rio, this is the first time am hearing this. Source?
No, Varun, it isn't.

Rio: Might be in this thread: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/so-this-leak.381023/page-3

All the signs point to him, despite it being unconfirmed. He was the first to say he didn't like the team being announced so late. He then starts getting left out. Then the team news starts getting leaked. Then the journalist it's getting leaked to is the first to break news of his injury.

Enigma_87

You know who
Will he still be when he inevitably finishes third and gets knocked out of the CL in the quarters?
If you think Simeone is flavour of the month you are on crack.

He has 2 titles in Argentina with 2 different sides, avoided relegation with Catania half way through the season, currently sits on 66% win percentage at Atletico, winning Copa del Rey, Europa League, dismantling Chelsea in the Super cup.

He had Falcao. This year he doesn't and Atletico are just top in front of Real and Barca. Not to mention beating Real at Bernabey for the first time in 14 years.

He has much more credentials for United job than Moyes. Also look how Atleti are playing and watch us how we are playing.

Liam147

On Probation
If you think Simeone is flavour of the month you are on crack.

He has 2 titles in Argentina with 2 different sides, avoided relegation with Catania half way through the season, currently sits on 66% win percentage at Atletico, winning Copa del Rey, Europa League, dismantling Chelsea in the Super cup.

He had Falcao. This year he doesn't and Atletico are just top in front of Real and Barca. Not to mention beating Real at Bernabey for the first time in 14 years.

He has much more credentials for United job than Moyes. Also look how Atleti are playing and watch us how we are playing.
I think I might've worded this wrong. I don't necessarily mean flavour of the month in the sense that they'll quickly go backwards and never be heard of again, but more in the sense that in a year or perhaps two we won't be talking about them as Manchester United manager. We were all on about Bielsea two years ago. That quickly died down didn't it? Wasn't that long ago that people were talking about Martin O'Neill.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Doesn't change the fact that they were real favourites, especially the former, amongst United fans at their respective managerial peaks.
Probably the same people who thought/think Moyes is a good idea. :rolleyes:

Enigma_87

You know who
I think I might've worded this wrong. I don't necessarily mean flavour of the month in the sense that they'll quickly go backwards and never be heard of again, but more in the sense that in a year or perhaps two we won't be talking about them as Manchester United manager. We were all on about Bielsea two years ago. That quickly died down didn't it? Wasn't that long ago that people were talking about Martin O'Neill.
Nowhere near the job Simeone has done for Atletico. He has won cups and in the presence of Barca and Real maybe the best clubs in the world right now and he goes toe to toe with them, although his squad is way too inferior.

I love how they are positioned, how they close spaces and are tactically disciplined.

Simeone is light years ahead in tactical sense than Moyes.

Mister Ed

Simeone he would work miracles with our team.

My absolute number one choice. Fire Moyes at the end of the season and pay Atletico and Simeone a fortune to get him here. This guy would be worth more than any signing in the world for us and is ten times the coach that Moyes is.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Absolutely nobody from the caf as your all completely stark raving bonkers except for Noodle of course.

Revan

Assumptionman
O'Neill and Bielsa have never hit the heights of Simeone.
O'Neill is completely shit, a worse version of Moyes.

Bielsa could have been one of the best managers in the world if he would have been a bit more social. He is definitely one of the best when it comes to tactics, training and analizing other teams. His problem isn't the lack of knowledge.

Simeone has all the tools to become one of the best in the world. After 22 games, he has 57 points in La Liga and is on the first place in a league which has Real and Barca. If someone would have said that this might happen on the summer, he would have been called a retard and a lunatic.