Who would you have as our new manager

Kaos

Jurgen Klopp would be my dream appointment - Neat attacking football, fiery passion, charisma and a proven winner. Basically the polar opposite of Moyes.

Though in all honestly I'll take most above-average managers over Moyes at this stage.

Bojan11

I don't get the hate of Redknapp. He's a very good manager. He's not obviously in the top bracket, but for me he's a lot better than Moyes. He got the best out of Modric. Who the previous manager decided was going to stick him on the left wing. Harry atleast moved him to CM. And of course Bale. He also signed good players like VdV and Sandro.

His style of play is a lot better than Moyes. Let's not forget that he did infact finish 4th in his last season at Spurs. And if it wasn't for Bayern bottling they would been in the champions league again.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ideal scenario would be Ancellotti for me. A manager with a strong CV is needed I think to get the respect of the squad after Fergie. Hiddink or Van Gaal would probably be available choices now. Failing that, Tim Sherwood.

Tosicsleftpeg

People wanting Tim Sherwood and Redknapp surely on the wum?? I like redknapp but he's nowhere near a manchester United manager. Then again moyes is hardly looking the part of a United manager, we need someone with bollocks and he just looks ....well...bollocks

Gannicus

The problem is that all the reasonable alternatives are locked in with a club they have no intention of leaving right now. Jose, Pep, Klopp and Mario...not a chance, not this summer at least.

I'm not yet in the "anyone but Moyes" camp, as there are far worse options out there. Neil Warnock and Mick McCarthy come to mind. But surely Redknapp would be an upgrade from Moyes. Laugh if we must but I'd even take a hard look at Jurgen Klinsmann, who will probably be done with the US team this summer. I realize he'd be reluctant to leave his beloved Southern California (who wouldn't?), yet at the same time he's only 49 years old and he might be up for the massive challenge of rescuing the sinking ship of Mancheste United. And a coach with fantastic contacts and credibility in Germany would be extremely useful these days.

But I'm open to other ideas besides Jose and Pep.

Dominos

The problem is that all the reasonable alternatives are locked in with a club they have no intention of leaving right now. Jose, Pep, Klopp and Mario...not a chance, not this summer at least.

I'm not yet in the "anyone but Moyes" camp, as there are far worse options out there. Neil Warnock and Mick McCarthy come to mind. But surely Redknapp would be an upgrade from Moyes. Laugh if we must but I'd even take a hard look at Jurgen Klinsmann, who will probably be done with the US team this summer. I realize he'd be reluctant to leave his beloved Southern California (who wouldn't?), yet at the same time he's only 49 years old and he might be up for the massive challenge of rescuing the sinking ship of Mancheste United. And a coach with fantastic contacts and credibility in Germany would be extremely useful these days.

But I'm open to other ideas besides Jose and Pep.
Hiddink, Van Gaal, Heynckes.

That's ignoring the possibility one of the top coaches find themselves out of the job they're currently in in the summer (Ancelotti?), and we can't tempt anyone who's under contract.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Laugh if we must but I'd even take a hard look at Jurgen Klinsmann, who will probably be done with the US team this summer. I realize he'd be reluctant to leave his beloved Southern California (who wouldn't?), yet at the same time he's only 49 years old and he might be up for the massive challenge of rescuing the sinking ship of Mancheste United. And a coach with fantastic contacts and credibility in Germany would be extremely useful these days.
His credibility in germany was crumpled a bit 2006 when people close to the team hinted the way that Löw was really the architect of the team and the players didn't really take Klinsmann very seriously. It took another major blow after his abysmal spell at Bayern which seemed to prove what only was a rumour until then.

Lahm about Klinsmann: "The experiment with Klinsmann was a failure. We were only working on our fitness in training. He didn't care much for tactical stuff," he wrote. "It was up to the players to come together before a match and discuss how we were going to play.
''All the players knew after about eight weeks that it was not going to work out with Klinsmann. The remainder of that campaign was nothing but limiting the damage."

Klinsmann was the reason a certain Mats Hummels now wears a yellow jersey and, had he had his way, so would Thomas Müller.

I doubt a coach like Klinsi is what a shaken United needs.

Gannicus

Hiddink, Van Gaal, Heynckes.

That's ignoring the possibility one of the top coaches find themselves out of the job they're currently in in the summer (Ancelotti?), and we can't tempt anyone who's under contract.
My hunch is that Hiddink and Heynckes would not up for the rigors of this job, not at this point in their lives. Van Gaal is a more than interesting suggestion.

Over lunch today a name came up in conversation that I never thought could possibly ever -- EVER! -- be tossed around as a potential United manager. Are you sitting down? Rafa Benitez.

So here'e the question of the day: Would it be worth it to sack Moyes if it meant having Benitez succeed him?

For all his buffoonery the fat waiter has actually brought home hardware with squads of limited talent. Just sayin...

Someone

Something
My hunch is that Hiddink and Heynckes would not up for the rigors of this job, not at this point in their lives. Van Gaal is a more than interesting suggestion.

Over lunch today a name came up in conversation that I never thought could possibly ever -- EVER! -- be tossed around as a potential United manager. Are you sitting down? Rafa Benitez.

So here'e the question of the day: Would it be worth it to sack Moyes if it meant having Benitez succeed him?

For all his buffoonery the fat waiter has actually brought home hardware with squads of limited talent. Just sayin...
NO NO NO :nono:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

He's a good manager but we hate him just as he hates us. No chance that would happen, nor would anyone want it to happen. Hiddink I feel could be here for like 2 years or so like Heynckes was at Bayern, where we could maybe win the champions league. Van Gaal is leaving as Netherlands boss this summer and said he wants one last club to win trophies with, or compete for things with. At the moment it seems like he's going to Spurs, but I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to join United if offered (which we really should do).

Mersault

Are people seriously suggesting Redknapp and Sherwood? Why not just promote Steve Round?

And Benitez has been mentioned on a few occasions. I think it would require Fergie leaving the board to be honest, besides being quite an uninspired appointment...

We might actually be able to nick a manager from a club, we don't just have to look at the out-of-a-job options...
and if we were to appoint another manager in the next year or so, we should be looking at doing everything we can to get the best option, including those already at good/top clubs (i.e. Klopp)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Rafa? The thing about Rafa is that he obviously isn't as horrible a manager as we like to portray him as. The other thing about Rafa is that he is Rafa. And I would take a hiatus from the whole football thing if he became the manager of Manchester United.

bosnian_red

Are people seriously suggesting Redknapp and Sherwood? Why not just promote Steve Round?

And Benitez has been mentioned on a few occasions. I think it would require Fergie leaving the board to be honest, besides being quite an uninspired appointment...

We might actually be able to nick a manager from a club, we don't just have to look at the out-of-a-job options...
and if we were to appoint another manager in the next year or so, we should be looking at doing everything we can to get the best option, including those already at good/top clubs (i.e. Klopp)
Personally, there isn't a better option currently then Van Gaal. A proven, world class, experienced manager, 62 years old so had a good 5 years left at least, and will be available in the summer.

Mersault

Personally, there isn't a better option currently then Van Gaal. A proven, world class, experienced manager, 62 years old so had a good 5 years left at least, and will be available in the summer.
Just because people have contracts doesn't mean we can't go for them. It's not as if we cannot afford the compensation.

Gannicus

Okay, so Rafa is out of the question. Rightly so.
Klinsmann, not a good fit.
Heynckes is too old and too much a Bayern man.
Bruce Arena is another possibility, but I'm sure the Glazers have no interest in United going into administration.
It may just have to be Hiddink. He's a master of the game and we'd only need him for 3-4 seasons, which is about as long as he could tolerate the demands of managing United.

What a fukking joke we didn't go with Jose.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why does everyone assume that United never went for coach X? Say for example Fergie or Glazer did call Mourinho and asked him and got turned down because he wants to be the happy one. Do you think that would become public during the next couple of years?

Revan

Assumptionman
Just because people have contracts doesn't mean we can't go for them. It's not as if we cannot afford the compensation.
The best ones: Mourinho, Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, Conte and Wenger (although I am not sure if Wenger can be counted there anymore) are unavailable.

We can go for others like Simeone or someone who are very unproven like Martinez, Ole or Pochetino and buyout their contract.

Or we can go for a proven oldie like Van Gaal, Hiddink, Bielsa etc (who are free) for some time until one of those who are in the best category becomes available or one of the unproven ones proves himself to be very good. From them only Simeone has proved something more than having a nice playing philosophy, so while him looks to be a good choice, still he isn't something that guarantees success. Take Van Gaal/Bielsa for a couple of years in order to steady the ship, bring back the confidence and create a nice platform and then find a long term (or midterm) manager.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Whether this one or that one would be a good fit at United depends entirely on whether we want to keep our model - that is, a manager who is responsible for much more than what is required of most managers.

If we were to adopt a new approach and go for someone who isn't expected to follow in Fergie's footprints as the great overseer of the whole United monster, there are several candidates out there. I think Ancelotti would do well here, based on nothing much beyond him being a clever bastard. But if he were to get the boot (which could easily happen knowing those people) and we were to alter our basic approach, I'd like him here more than most names people wave about at the moment.

If, however, we want to employ a manager who is to be in charge of the whole club, top to bottom, Fergie style (or at least close to it), the list is much, much shorter. Some years down the line OGS could be a good candidate.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Klopp would be an excellent choice. Relatively young, won his league, made the CL final, gets his side to punch above its weight, seems like a fella who wouldn't ignore youth players, and with tactics and a personality players and fans can get behind.

Crashoutcassius

LOLOLOLOL at harry redknapp. Moyes has done a far better job than 'Arry the last 11 years... no he didn't have as much success, but he made a transfer profit in that time, not like he had the money spurs had. Harry's a quality manager, but really he's absolutely not good enough to manage man united. That and he's guaranteed to sign crouch straight away

Dominos

We won't go for a foreigner unless he's been at United.
I'd bet the next manager of United will be foreign, there's no British manager good enough to feasibly be considered at the moment, although I suppose we'd have said that about Moyes.

How long do you think we can keep up this "tradition"? Besides, Sven and Hitzfeld were offered the job last time Fergie was retiring.

Dominos

Would you take Rafa or Brendan if you could get them?
Not really. They're not the best options available even ignoring how weird it would be (although to be fair, we have nothing against Rodgers, taking him straight from our rivals would be seriously odd).

If the alternative is keeping Moyes for 6 years then I may change my mind.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'd bet the next manager of United will be foreign, there's no British manager good enough to feasibly be considered at the moment, although I suppose we'd have said that about Moyes.

How long do you think we can keep up this "tradition"? Besides, Sven and Hitzfeld were offered the job last time Fergie was retiring.
It will be nice to someday have a foreigner managing us because, with the evolution of football, the non-British tactics are hands down far superior to the British tactics. I don't usually see 4-4-2* in the European leagues, and the football is usually quite attractive on the whole.

I think we'll first get a foreigner who's been at United as I mentioned. Solskjaer in a few years time potentially for example.

*I'm not saying we play 4-4-2 all the time, but the illusion is always there for me.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Would you take Rafa or Brendan if you could get them?
Rafa always seems a bit too close to losing the plot. Rodgers, I think still has a fair amount to prove. He kept a good thing going, at Swansea. He deserves a bit of credit for doing so but not a great deal, in my view. Currently he's having a very promising season with your lot but, for me, he'd need back to back top four finishes to really be considered a genuine success, at Liverpool.

bosnian_red

Why does everyone assume that United never went for coach X? Say for example Fergie or Glazer did call Mourinho and asked him and got turned down because he wants to be the happy one. Do you think that would become public during the next couple of years?
I feel like there's a chance that fergie wanted mourinho but sir bobby vetoed that idea, said he went against the ethos of the club and all that. So then he settled for his second choice. I've learned to take what fergie and them say with a pinch of salt over the years, but I don't think mourinho would have rejected us. I think we wanted pep too but that was confirmed to bayern earlier.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Woe to those hollier than thou who rejected Mourinho

Now we're scrapping the barrel with the likes of Rafa, Redknapp, Mick fecking mccarthy?

Dear me.....

I'd rather we re-employ the whole class of 92 as staff

MoskvaRed

Okay, so Rafa is out of the question. Rightly so.
Klinsmann, not a good fit.
Heynckes is too old and too much a Bayern man.
Bruce Arena is another possibility, but I'm sure the Glazers have no interest in United going into administration.
It may just have to be Hiddink. He's a master of the game and we'd only need him for 3-4 seasons, which is about as long as he could tolerate the demands of managing United.

What a fukking joke we didn't go with Jose.
I wouldn't want Hiddink and I don't think he would want us. It's a long time since he spent any extended time in top club management and he seems to prefer picking up huge pay cheques in jobs where there is not much pressure to succeed. In any case, ignoring the Anzhi farce, his last two jobs ended with Russia and Turkey ended in failure. In essence, I think his reputation greatly exceeds his actual achievements, certainly in recent years.

Totally agree on Jose though (assuming we didn't actually try to get him) - the manager that is most like Fergie in substance. Instead, we got a man with some superficial similarities to Fergie but without the key attributes (proven winner, ability to handle big names, experience in managing all the expectations and pressues of a big club).

Gannicus

I wouldn't want Hiddink and I don't think he would want us. It's a long time since he spent any extended time in top club management and he seems to prefer picking up huge pay cheques in jobs where there is not much pressure to succeed. In any case, ignoring the Anzhi farce, his last two jobs ended with Russia and Turkey ended in failure. In essence, I think his reputation greatly exceeds his actual achievements, certainly in recent years.

Totally agree on Jose though (assuming we didn't actually try to get him) - the manager that is most like Fergie in substance. Instead, we got a man with some superficial similarities to Fergie but without the key attributes (proven winner, ability to handle big names, experience in managing all the expectations and pressues of a big club).
You're absolutely right about Guus, now that i think about it. There just aren't that many other good options available to us, which may be what saves Moyes from the ignominious sack.

We'll just have to get used to Jose picking up trophies for a while.

Phil

Jurgen Klopp would be my dream appointment - Neat attacking football, fiery passion, charisma and a proven winner. Basically the polar opposite of Moyes.

Though in all honestly I'll take most above-average managers over Moyes at this stage.
The only answer really..