Who would you have as our new manager

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The fact (hehe) that Rafa is even mentioned is a bad, bad sign.
Is there next to no chance of getting Klopp?

atomic keane

The problem is that all the reasonable alternatives are locked in with a club they have no intention of leaving right now. Jose, Pep, Klopp and Mario...not a chance, not this summer at least.

I'm not yet in the "anyone but Moyes" camp, as there are far worse options out there. Neil Warnock and Mick McCarthy come to mind. But surely Redknapp would be an upgrade from Moyes. Laugh if we must but I'd even take a hard look at Jurgen Klinsmann, who will probably be done with the US team this summer. I realize he'd be reluctant to leave his beloved Southern California (who wouldn't?), yet at the same time he's only 49 years old and he might be up for the massive challenge of rescuing the sinking ship of Mancheste United. And a coach with fantastic contacts and credibility in Germany would be extremely useful these days.

But I'm open to other ideas besides Jose and Pep.
Klinsmann is a really good shout. He also has an attacking philosophy. I like that idea and admit he went off my radar.

Revan

Assumptionman
Would you take Rafa or Brendan if you could get them?
Yes. Benitez is a very good manager while Rodgers is very promising. Neither of them would be on my top choices but still if there are only options to replace the chosen one then I would be happy with either of them. Not going to happen, of course.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If Germany have a poor world cup perhaps Low might be available (Klopp surely going to be next germany manager after either the world cup or the euros)

Or perhaps Real will have sacked Anchelotti by then

lets just wait till the summer and then see who is available (if nobody is then lets try Giggs - I doubt he would get us lower than 7th)

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Yes. Benitez is a very good manager while Rodgers is very promising. Neither of them would be on my top choices but still if there are only options to replace the chosen one then I would be happy with either of them. Not going to happen, of course.
What. The. feck?

You'd have Rafa and Brendon at United? Are you fecking mental? Take away their Liverpool connection and fair enough but otherwise... they can get to feck.

Carl

If we pulled the trigger right now there's really not much available. I'd happily take a punt on Pochettino though. Lovely brand of football and promotes from within.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Klinsmann is a really good shout. He also has an attacking philosophy. I like that idea and admit he went off my radar.
Klinsmann at least won't play the wrong tactics, he won't play any tactic at all. Can't be any worse than what Moyes does, highly doubt it would be any better though :lol:.

Brophs

The One and Only
Kinsmann?

feck me this place is going nuts. What has he ever done to deserve being considered for the job?

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Indeed, sounds like people are desperate.

Looking at this thread makes me think we may have to stick with moyes for a while. I think one of the main problems has been not moyes' tactics but the players' reception to him and complete lack of respect. Rightly or wrongly, its a massive factor.

Of all the managers mentioned, only one in ancelotti would solve that issue. Even Klopp would be a risk, although one id love to take. Klopp wont come to engand, he seems to have a real disdain for our league/media. He'll be germany manager next year too, so unfortunately he's not coming.

Ancelotti seems to not be doing very well at Madrid...which i dont belive for a second is a bad sign,. SAF would fail at that circus. Perhaps best to keep an eye on him over the next 12 months.

If anybody reads it there was an interesting snippet in Red Issue last month. It suggested that City's plan is to have Pep as manager in the next 3 years with Peligrini as a stop gap until he leaves Bayern. It suggested its all been agreed. That would be worrying.

One question would be would Mourinho be interested? I was one who didnt really think he would be best for us. Mainly due to his tactics, but he has shown this year a completely different style than he did in 05/06. I just cant see him leaving Chelsea, so wed have to wait for him to be sacked, which will take a couple of years at least i think.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
As an addendum....regarding Mourinho. Im quite suspicious he has continued his nice softly softly sweetie approach to us. Yes, we arent a competitor this year, but Mour would never miss an opportunity to stick knife in if he felt betrayed by us not picking him.

Jonno

How can people actually suggest Solskjaer, really?

Dont get me wrong, the guy is a complete Manchester United legend, and I am as big a fan as anyone. But having appointed a former Everton manager, who has never managed at the top top level like at a club like Man United, and to see him fail so dramatically (I still think he will turn it around), then why are we suggesting someone that has had a couple of good seasons in Norway, followed by literally a couple of months at Cardiff? Surely if we are going to sack unproven (at United's level) Moyes, then we aren't going to go down the same route and take on another unproven manager?

Revan

Assumptionman
What. The. feck?

You'd have Rafa and Brendon at United? Are you fecking mental? Take away their Liverpool connection and fair enough but otherwise... they can get to feck.
Rafa has shown to be a very professional manager. And I like Rodgers.

Taking sentimentality aside, I think that both of them would be big improvements on Moyes.

RedRover

Kinsmann?

feck me this place is going nuts. What has he ever done to deserve being considered for the job?
Indeed. Some seem desperate for Moyes to be sacked so they can deny the obvious. Its not all Moyes fault and a new man may not do any better with what is frankly, a rank average squad.

The "world class" players need to start playing like it and the rest need to stop hiding and prove they are good enough to play for the clublong term. That will go a long way to improving things.

The answer certainly isn't to appoint abloke who has achieved nothing as a club manager and would rather spend his time in Amercia than make a careers in club management.

Revan

Assumptionman

Dont get me wrong, the guy is a complete Manchester United legend, and I am as big a fan as anyone. But having appointed a former Everton manager, who has never managed at the top top level like at a club like Man United, and to see him fail so dramatically (I still think he will turn it around), then why are we suggesting someone that has had a couple of good seasons in Norway, followed by literally a couple of months at Cardiff? Surely if we are going to sack unproven (at United's level) Moyes, then we aren't going to go down the same route and take on another unproven manager?
Ole isn't proven for bad as Moyes was at Everton (don't get me wrong he got good results, but tactics and other stuff was bad). Taking a punt with Ole is more similar to Barca with Pep and Juve with Conte rather than us with Moyes. Completely different things.

I used this example before but I may use it again. Imagine if in 2008 Barca would have gone for the proven Emery (who being honest had done more than Moyes) instead of the unproven Guardiola. 5 champions league titles at United cabinet would have been the result.

Brophs

The One and Only
Indeed. Some seem desperate for Moyes to be sacked so they can deny the obvious. Its not all Moyes fault and a new man may not do any better with what is frankly, a rank average squad.

The "world class" players need to start playing like it and the rest need to stop hiding and prove they are good enough to play for the clublong term. That will go a long way to improving things.

The answer certainly isn't to appoint abloke who has achieved nothing as a club manager and would rather spend his time in Amercia than make a careers in club management.
Indeed. If we're sacking Moyes then we have to accept that our experiment of hiring a second tier manager, hoping he'd become a top tier manager, has failed. In which case you swallow your pride and throw money at a big, proven name.

RedRover

Exactly right. Too much romanticism from some fans. There is more to being a top manager than loving a club and being a club legend.

Moyes might indeed prove to be out of his depth, but he's achieved a damn sight more that Solskjaer has.

Carl

Taking sentimentality aside, I think that both of them would be big improvements on Moyes.
I like Rodgers too. Always have. He's an absolute moron but a really promising manager. But he's Liverpool manager so it can never and won't ever be. Same with Rafa. Thought I wouldn't want him anyway for reasons aside from the Liverpool connection.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Ole isn't proven for bad as Moyes was at Everton (don't get me wrong he got good results, but tactics and other stuff was bad). Taking a punt with Ole is more similar to Barca with Pep and Juve with Conte rather than us with Moyes. Completely different things.

I used this example before but I may use it again. Imagine if in 2008 Barca would have gone for the proven Emery (who being honest had done more than Moyes) instead of the unproven Guardiola. 5 champions league titles at United cabinet would have been the result.
Completely unpredictable what would have happened under any given manager.

Yes Pep was excellent for them - but this doesn't have any relevance as to how good Ole could be for us or anybody else. For starters, Pep was Barcelona through and through; he came through their youth academy and after retiring, managed their reserves. Ole has been away from the United fold for a long time and doesn't have the same insight into the ability of the players as Guardiola had when he took over at Barca.

Look, I know you're a trier, but your anti-Moyes droning is really getting rather boring. You're starting to sound as if you'd have anybody else at United. Moyes was not proven as 'bad' at Everton, he transformed them from a lower mid table team to one which chased Europe spots season after season. All of his former playing personnel have spoken highly of his man management, his tactical know how and his ability to get a lot out of a mediocre group of players. He was adored by the fans... and tactically was just fine: The mentality that his approach is naturally defensive is also not entirely true, he was well known for utilising a counter attack system just as Fergie did with United.

The issue regarding Moyes is clear: SAF left behind an old team that had played under him for years - the Fergie way of doing things was ingrained into their game, in many cases, right from the youth academy upwards and whoever took over; the case would always be that there'd be at least one very difficult season during the transition. He's not identical to Fergie and it will take time for the squad to adapt.

...and before you say 'Chelsea and City are doing fine with new managers'; they're completely different, the players there are used to seeing managers axed every 5 minutes as you'd clearly love to happen at United. Moreover, we've not spent in the same way they have this season and it's pretty clear our squad is ready for an overhaul. Fergie did just the same, and even with the signings of Viv Anderson and Brian McClair, still took several seasons and more players before results started coming good.

Now you can sit on your soap box on the other side of the ocean and scream for a new manager all you want, but I find that disappointing since I've long thought you were different to the majority of U.S United supporters who are only with us for the glory. Your screams for Moyes to go, the man handpicked by the best manager in football history, simply because the transition is rockier than you expected is tarring you with the same brush as the thousands of overseas plastics on Twitter who tweet #moyesout every time we go 1-0 down.

Last edited:

Ole'sbodyguard

Let's see.

People seriously want the likes of Rafa, Ole, Klinsmann, Rodgers or Pochetino as a replacement for Moyes?

I don't know where to start.

I understand the likes of Klopp and Simeone, even the likes of Hiddink who is all but retired as a stop gap but some of those choices are nowhere near the quality needed or are complete none starters.

Shows how hard it is to get a decent and proven manager in. If Moyes where to be sacked, it would have to be a big name coming in next.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I don't get the hate of Redknapp. He's a very good manager. He's not obviously in the top bracket, but for me he's a lot better than Moyes. He got the best out of Modric. Who the previous manager decided was going to stick him on the left wing. Harry atleast moved him to CM. And of course Bale. He also signed good players like VdV and Sandro.

His style of play is a lot better than Moyes. Let's not forget that he did infact finish 4th in his last season at Spurs. And if it wasn't for Bayern bottling they would been in the champions league again.
He managed to get Spur's into the top 4 twice and had them higher than Moyes' Everton almost every year, granted his budget was a fair bit higher, he also won the FA cup with Portsmouth and plays good football, I'm not saying we should go for him, but I do find it a little strange that football fans in general look down their nose at him, he's a bit of a character and plays up to the media but as British managers go.. I think hes right up there.

Anyway.. Come hell or high water I don't see us changing the manager for a good 2 years yet, bar a player/fan revolt and midtable mediocrity becomes the norm, so my take on it is moot, but for me the factor I'd want to see taken into consideration in any future managerial appointment is that of playing good football first and foremost, it's a must.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Some of the suggestions in this thread have made me laugh, literally. :lol:

Klinsmann...really, after the Bayern Munich fiasco? Bruce Arena? WTF? Rafa? LMAO! Oh wow...

If we were to get rid of Moyes now there aren't many managers we can choose from. Short-term Gus Hiddink could come in and take us to the end of the season, he has the pedigree and the experience of the Premier League from his 2009 cup win at Chelski. After that, with the likes of Pep and Mourinho off the market we'd be looking at either Van Gaal or Ancelotti (who is suppodly gonna get the boot this summer).

Van Gaal's a great coach but he's also notoriously difficult. The way it ended for him at Bayern was typical of his career and his Barcelona days...

Ancelotti is probably more like a Man Utd manager. Diplomatic, knows the league, has won the title and the European Cup. For whatever reason he doesn't seem to be Florentino Perez's cup of tea but if he gets the boot in the summer we could do a lot worse. He's only four years older than Moyes. If he starts out well and doesn't wanna go back to Italy any time soon we could get a lot of years out of Ancelotti.

Brophs

The One and Only
Let's see.

People seriously want the likes of Rafa, Ole, Klinsmann, Rodgers or Pochetino as a replacement for Moyes?

I don't know where to start.

I understand the likes of Klopp and Simeone, even the likes of Huddink who is all but retired as a stop gap but some of those choices are nowhere near the quality needed.

Shows how hard it is to get a decent and proven manager in. If Moyes where to be sacked, it would have to be a big name coming in next.
It's incredibly difficult. Let's just say that we can have any manager we want, without having to worry about history/context/etc. Of the managers out there, I'd say only Mourinho, Guardiola and Klopp fit into the 'dream' category in terms of probably being able to shape the club and deliver success (and that may even be generous to Klopp who hasn't won that much yet). Then you have the likes of Wenger, who probably deserves to be in the top tier, but hasn't delivered a trophy in a while. Pellegrini who is obviously good, but has no record of winning trophies. Ancelotti who's a good manager but maybe somewhat undermined by under-performance in the league, Simeone who's promising but again, hasn't really won anything in terms of the really big trophies, Rodgers and Martinez ditto and then your solid managers like Hiddink who won't necessarily be there very long.*

The only thing I can take from that is that if Moyes isn't the man, then we missed the boat during the summer when the two best managers left out there were available. We either go for Klopp or wait for Guardiola to move on from Bayern. Everyone else comes with significant risks, IMO. You're gambling on them stepping up, as we are with Moyes.

*I'm sure I've missed someone, but you get the gist.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
No idea why Real would sack him. He's finally got them playing really well and I could see them winning the league and being a threat for the Champions League.
Florentino sacked Del Bosque. Honest to God I don't think anyone really understands him, even Florentino himself...

Ole'sbodyguard

Who cares how professional he is? He's Rafa fricking Benitez. He's won a European cup for Liverpool and got into numerous spats with United over the years. He's about the most inappropriate choice to be the manager of United there is going. I can't think of anyone worse other than possibly a Dalglish/Phil Thompson combo with Keegan as director of football.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He did that 12 years ago. I can't see them doing it again.
I agree with that. But it looks like la Liga will be an extremely close race. Real could end up third without Ancelotti doing much wrong - and the CL is always uncertain. He could end up without winning anything of significance - and then who knows?

Ole'sbodyguard

I agree with that. But it looks like la Liga will be an extremely close race. Real could end up third without Ancelotti doing much wrong - and the CL is always uncertain. He could end up without winning anything of significance - and then who knows?
I reckon they will win it this year. Atletico are starting to slip up and look tired/have injury problems and Barca are not quite as strong as they used to be but still very good. Real have closed the gap to be level with both Barca and A Madrid and are the form team at the right time. They have progressed nicely all season.

Ringo 07

Pochettino, martinez or simeone would be our only realistic targets that could be available in the summer who could come in and get the team playing the right way while attracting some decent spanish speaking players too at knock down prices......people mentioning klinsmann and benitez need to get help fast
Pep might be available in 18 months if he gets tired of winning everything at bayern....why he wasn't offered the job in the first place only God and Fergie know that one.....I think for the next year anyways we are stuck with Moyes and his 1980's hoofball dross unless he brings queiroz back over the summer

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Pochettino is a good shout, young, good exciting football, can't speak English yet but that's a good thing, he'd be under no pressure cos he'd not understand what the press are on about.

reelworld

The only thing I can take from that is that if Moyes isn't the man, then we missed the boat during the summer when the two best managers left out there were available. We either go for Klopp or wait for Guardiola to move on from Bayern. Everyone else comes with significant risks, IMO. You're gambling on them stepping up, as we are with Moyes.

I agree with that, Mourinho or Pep was probably as close to a sure thing that you can get. Everyone we'll get is going to be a risk. However, we can take calculated risk. At least learn from what's wrong with the current regime and correct it.
IMO getting a manager who encourage attractive football is imperative. Even if the team got bad result or not winning, good football could buy a lot of time for the manager to get it right. Strong character is a second one, since he has to deal with players with big ego that have won everything. These two factors I think could help a lot if the manager doesn't have enough winning experience, since it will help the team to commit to the manager's ideas and plans.

Adebesi

Has anyone seen Boys From Brazil?

Id like to see something similar to that. Get a few club greats like Ole, Giggs, Scholes, Evra and Rooney to have kids and hand them over to the club. Take them to Glasgow or somewhere equally gritty and try and recreate SAF's childhood for each of them. Perhaps turbocharge it by giving them each an hour every day face time with SAF, where he imbibes them with his managerial philosophy, shouting at them, kicking hairdryers at them, telling them he wont buy them any new toys as there is no value in the market, that kind of thing. Black out all other influences in their lives, just surround them with United, SAF, Scotland, hardness, hardship and hard work. Every day, all day. And in 30 years time we'll have a selection of little SAFs, we can pick one as the manager and have a couple of spares left over if required for assistant and youth coach.

If there are any left over at the end release them into the wild, itd probably make good reality TV.

TheGame

Pochettino is a good shout, young, good exciting football, can't speak English yet but that's a good thing, he'd be under no pressure cos he'd not understand what the press are on about.
Yeah lets an unproven manager who has had a brief spell of success in and its a good thing he speaks no english :lol:, seriously this thread is beginning to demonstrate the lack of options and why there needs to be a proper plan proposed rather than just 'sack moyes' which alot of people are just harping on about.

RedRover

I agree with that, Mourinho or Pep was probably as close to a sure thing that you can get. Everyone we'll get is going to be a risk. However, we can take calculated risk. At least learn from what's wrong with the current regime and correct it.
IMO getting a manager who encourage attractive football is imperative. Even if the team got bad result or not winning, good football could buy a lot of time for the manager to get it right. Strong character is a second one, since he has to deal with players with big ego that have won everything. These two factors I think could help a lot if the manager doesn't have enough winning experience, since it will help the team to commit to the manager's ideas and plans.
"What's wrong withe current regime" is that the club have dramatically underivested in the playing staff for a number of years. This will take time to put right. Moyes has more than a 6 month job on his hands, so how you can make the decision at this stage that he's failed is beyond me.

As regards other managers, its documented that Fergie mep Pep last year. Perhpas they discussed the job and perhaps Pep looked at it and realised the size of the task.

Moyes clearly is on a steep learning curve, but a lot of fans seem to want to blame him for the position we are in, and him alone. He can't be compared to other established manage4rs, because he isnt the finished articlte - but he also doesnt have the squads of players that the top managers have.

If he gets 5 or 6 quality additions in the summer, and still doesn't perform then the critisim and calls for his sacking will be justified. But not until.

As regards "style of play" - I'm sure every manager wants to play beautiful football, but not all managers have the players to do it. Moyes has no midfield, a shaky and ageing defence and average wingers. he's also been without the PL's best forward last season for a lot of this.

Football is about results. I want to see decent football as a fan, but I dont think that has to be Barca-esqe 1000 passes a game stuff. I look at Arsenal, over the last few years style over substance and nothing to show for it. I enjoy the style United have played over the years, getting it wide, powerful and pacy players and counter attacking. Its entertaining to me - more so than passing for passing's sake.

The suggestion that Moyes is limited tactically seems to be based on a few games (Fulham in particular) when at times this season we've played decent stuff. People should take a look at the teams Fergie put together - not always the most easy on the eye in terms of style but brilliant teams nonetheless.

TheGame

It's incredibly difficult. Let's just say that we can have any manager we want, without having to worry about history/context/etc. Of the managers out there, I'd say only Mourinho, Guardiola and Klopp fit into the 'dream' category in terms of probably being able to shape the club and deliver success (and that may even be generous to Klopp who hasn't won that much yet). Then you have the likes of Wenger, who probably deserves to be in the top tier, but hasn't delivered a trophy in a while. Pellegrini who is obviously good, but has no record of winning trophies. Ancelotti who's a good manager but maybe somewhat undermined by under-performance in the league, Simeone who's promising but again, hasn't really won anything in terms of the really big trophies, Rodgers and Martinez ditto and then your solid managers like Hiddink who won't necessarily be there very long.*

But how can you propose we just wait around for another manager to become available, what do we do in the mean time? Klopp has said several times he does not want to leave Dortmund yet, I fail to understand why people simply cannot understand this. Guardiola will probably stay for at least 3-4 seasons now after which he will want another challenge. We cannot simply wait around, putting the club's development on hold while waiting for managers to become available. I agree with your point that all other managers come with risk and if they fail then what? the sack brigade will be out in force again. I personally want to see Moyes develop the team in the summer to a squad which he feels comfortable with and players he wants and then hopefully have a better 2nd season.