Who would you have as our new manager

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I reckon if style of play is all we care about, even Giggs/Scholes would have us playing better.

That said, I think Klopp was the man last summer and is the man again this summer.

Castia

Van Gaal and De Boer sounds good. Let them both take the reigns and see how they do, if its successful when Van Gaal retires De Boer can just carry on the work they have started.

kps88

Van Gaal is the opposite of Moyes. He's short term, volatile and outspoken. Would be quite a turn around from what the club were initially looking for.

There's a good chance he'll fall out with half the team for not being able to implement his vision. Or he could be that much needed catalyst to take our football forward. Either way, it would be exciting to watch.

Mauzindark

Is Van Gaal the one who came up and invented the Dutch 'Total football' thing? Or was it Johan Cryuff?
Technically it was invented by an Englishman, Jack Reynolds in the early 1920s. He led Ajax to 8 League titles during his numerous stints with the club. However no other team implemented the strategy and it soon fell out of favour.

It was resurrected in the 1950s by James Hogan with the Hungarian national team also known as the "Mighty Magyars". They are still considered to be among the greatest sides of all time and had the likes of Puskas, Kocsis and Hidegkuti. They famously routed the England national team, yet unbeaten on home soil by teams outside the isles - 6-3 at Wembley and another 7-1 rout a year later.

Rinus Michels further improved upon the concept of total football at Ajax inspiring a generation of Dutch managers. His protege implememted the philosophy at Barcelona and LVG at Ajax when they won the European Cup. Interestingly van der Sar's cool demeanour and sweeper like distribution abilities were also due to total football which considers keepers to be the first instigators of attack.

Gannicus

Anything we might read right now is probably fabricated bullshit. If Malcolm is thinking of giving David the boot he's certainly not going to trial balloon names to the British tabloids.

Giggs as caretaker through May. Klopp thereafter.

This may have already been mentioned on these pages but Klopp could also very helpful in bringing in some of the German names we've discussed as well as, of course, deploying modern, winning tactics.

Ringo 07

Lucien Favre - manager of Borrusia Monchengladbach has been working miracles at this club for a good few years now while playing a brand of exciting attacking football. Favre will be at a bigger club soon and the Utd job could be one step too far for him but I think any up and coming manager that has proven success playing the right way would be a better bet than Moyes at this point.

Revan

Assumptionman
Lucien Favre - manager of Borrusia Monchengladbach has been working miracles at this club for a good few years now while playing a brand of exciting attacking football. Favre will be at a bigger club soon and the Utd job could be one step too far for him but I think any up and coming manager that has proven success playing the right way would be a better bet than Moyes at this point.
Isn't him the German version of David Moyes? Limited success on a midtable club.

I haven't watched much of Monchengladbach so can't comment on his style. However if we go for someone his age, I think it will be better to go for someone who has a proven winning record.

Ringo 07

Isn't him the German version of David Moyes? Limited success on a midtable club.
I think we need someone which much more experience than Favre but he certainly is no German David Moyes. He took Monchengladbach from bottom of the table when he took over to a 4th place finish the following season. He has been hailed in germany for his teams impressive style of play

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think we need someone which much more experience than Favre but he certainly is no German David Moyes. He took Monchengladbach from bottom of the table when he took over to a 4th place finish the following season. He has been hailed in germany for his teams impressive style of play
Moyes played great football with Everton for one season though.

Revan

Assumptionman
Moyes has done almost the same to be fair. He took a team that was fighting relegation for a few years and very soon got the fourth place in EPL and in the last 4-5 years was consistently a top 6 - top 8 team. Everton played decently last season though they were boring in the previous years.

I don't know much about Favre but reading about him and he doesn't sound that inspiring.

Cal?

CR7 fan
It wouldn't be the 'United way' we all know what he is famous for!! He could never manager here after that.
It's not like Beckham is in anyway linked to us any more (except being a club legend).

Anyway, this "United Way" (TM) thing.

Let's appoint Mourinho...

No, we can't do that, he once poked some guy in the eye during a match.

What of Ryan Giggs? He's been poking his brother's wife for years.

Let's appoint him player-coach.

Malva

its one thing to give someone who's served the club 20 odd years a second chance, and another to appoint a stranger with a disgraceful past.

Mainoldo

It's not like Beckham is in anyway linked to us any more (except being a club legend).

Anyway, this "United Way" (TM) thing.

Let's appoint Mourinho...

No, we can't do that, he once poked some guy in the eye during a match.

What of Ryan Giggs? He's been poking his brother's wife for years.

Let's appoint him player-coach.
It was tongue and cheek. But sometimes i really believe this philosophy which has no foundation except it worked once is going to stay. Moyes should have been sacked already but i can really see him getting 2 years to sculpture something that will be straight away took apart by his replacement.

As for Someone... great manager whoever you have to be careful he is a tactician in the sense we wouldn't be playing expansive football especially if he come to manager are current crop of players.

Lance Uppercut

He's done well to be fair. Two Argentinian league titles (including Estudiantes' first title in 20 odd years), Europa League, Copa Del Rey and a Super Cup.
Pretty impressive.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't know much about Favre but reading about him and he doesn't sound that inspiring.
He is hands down one of the best tacticans in the Bundesliga, probably just below the two star coaches in that regard and on the same level as Mainz´ Tuchel.

He had some pretty good years in Switzerland with Zürich (winning three national titles) before coming to Germany to join Berlin. In 2008 he made them finish 4th with a below average budget, just to be (unrightfully IMO) sacked after a horrible start of them in their chaos year 2009 (they were relegated as dead last that year).

He took over Gladbach in February 2011, when most of them regarded them as a dead relegation side, only to save them with a great finishing spell (won 4 of their last six games, including a victory vs. champion Dortmund).

He built his first strong side (the one, which finished 4th in 2011/2012) there on a counter attack setup around the team´s pillars Dante, Neustädter and Reus. All of them left at the end of that season and he had to rebuilt. He transitioned them into a more possession based team to suit the current players´ strengths, showing some very good versatility as coach.

To be honest, there are very few Bundesliga sides I (as a Dortmund supporter) hate to face more than Gladbach. Favre really has a knack for setting up his team in such a way to hurt the opposition the most. Aside from that his substitutions are mostly spot on.

He is (like Moyes) not proven at top level, because he had never such an opportunity, but if I would have to give any coach in the Bundesliga a nod for having the potential to make it there, it would be either him or Thomas Tuchel. We have some really good coaches over here, but the Swiss clearly stands out.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is hands down one of the best tacticans in the Bundesliga, probably just below the two star coaches in that regard and on the same level as Mainz´ Tuchel.

He had some pretty good years in Switzerland with Zürich (winning three national titles) before coming to Germany to join Berlin. In 2008 he made them finish 4th with a below average budget, just to be (unrightfully IMO) sacked after a horrible start of them in their chaos year 2009 (they were relegated as dead last that year).

He took over Gladbach in February 2011, when most of them regarded them as a dead relegation side, only to save them with a great finishing spell (won 4 of their last six games, including a victory vs. champion Dortmund).

He built his first strong side (the one, which finished 4th in 2011/2012) there on a counter attack setup around the team´s pillars Dante, Neustädter and Reus. All of them left at the end of that season and he had to rebuilt. He transitioned them into a more possession based team to suit the current players´ strengths, showing some very good versatility as coach.

To be honest, there are very few Bundesliga sides I (as a Dortmund supporter) hate to face more than Gladbach. Favre really has a knack for setting up his team in such a way to hurt the opposition the most. Aside from that his substitutions are mostly spot on.

He is (like Moyes) not proven at top level, because he had never such an opportunity, but if I would have to give any coach in the Bundesliga a nod for having the potential to make it there, it would be either him or Thomas Tuchel. We have some really good coaches over here, but the Swiss clearly stands out.
Thanks for the lengthy explanation. It sounds like he is a good manager.

Basically, my stance was that I haven't seen Gladbach that much (possibly on a game or two against Bayern/BVB) and don't know anything about him, but readng on hi achievements he didn't look anything more than Moyes did for Everton (and from my comments here it is pretty easy to see how my opinion on Moyes is very low). His great style of play seems to be great though, a big bonus there.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Giggs assisted by Nicky Butt temporary until the end of the season for me. Nicky has got a pair of bollocks about him and would put a few things straight with these players.

Revan

Assumptionman
Giggs assisted by Nicky Butt temporary until the end of the season for me. Nicky has got a pair of bollocks about him and would put a few things straight with these players.
An average ex-player who will be (in your scenario) a temporary assistant manager won't succedd in putting things straight with those players. They wouldn't give a shit on what he says if he decides to play hard.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
An average ex-player who will be (in your scenario) a temporary assistant manager won't succedd in putting things straight with those players. They wouldn't give a shit on what he says if he decides to play hard.
I'm not saying it'll improve results or anything the season is a write off and nothing matters from here, just that they need to be told that they've been a disgrace this season. Can you imagine Phil gormless Neville doing that?

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm not saying it'll improve results or anything the season is a write off and nothing matters from here, just that they need to be told that they've been a disgrace this season. Can you imagine Phil gormless Neville doing that?
The problem is that they haven't been a disgrace at all (IMO). They just have been managed by a not good manager who wanted to do things his way and have been trained by some mediocre coaches. The only way I can see us getting some good results (not that it would matter anyway) is that the new interim managers would try to keep good relations with the players and motivate them to finish the season in some form, which would possibly give us again some much needed confidence for the new season. And heck knows, I think that with a new manager we would also eleminate Olybiacos, but I think that chances for entirely winning UCL are extremely low. Much lower than those of Chelsea in 2012.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I won't go through the archives but I'm sure in 2013 I actually said "anyone but Moyes".

I stand by that. I don't doubt his ability to spot talent but I doubt his ability to tactically set up a team chasing trophies.

For me a genuinely young manager who has one of these philosophies or an old head to steady to ship.

A Hiddink or van Gaal if possible for a few years until a Mourinho, Guardiola or Klopp (a proven winner) becomes available. Moyes didn't deserve this job and losing nearly a third of the games in the PL tells it's own story. Sir Alex told us to support him but I think he was blinded by the 'good work' rather than the lack of winning pedigree in his successor. If you can't manage Robin van Persie, Juan Mata, Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick to be influential and keep control of games (please note you can control games and concede goals as you saw last season), you can't be very good at your job.