Who would you have as our new manager

Sam

We need a proven manager at the top level, who has won things. No more of this 'taking a punt' kind of manager. So that means no Martinez, Pochettino or whoever else is flavour of the month.

stubie

I would love it if mauricio pochettino will be consider for the United job if Moyes does not improve our team performances. He was my personal choice to take over since last summer when Ferguaon retired. Moreover, I will have the upmost confident for United's future, if he was the one doing the rebuilding and imbueing a new philosophy at United.
Think Pochettino will make it to a big club within the next few years

Kaos

I would love it if mauricio pochettino will be consider for the United job if Moyes does not improve our team performances. He was my personal choice to take over since last summer when Ferguaon retired. Moreover, I will have the upmost confident for United's future, if he was the one doing the rebuilding and imbueing a new philosophy at United.
What? Is this real life?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
If Fergie had used common sense last May and appointed Jose instead of getting all emotional and appointing a novice, this thread would be non existent.
We didnt even need to go to Jose. If really didnt like the whole circus he brings we still had plenty of options. It hard to see how any of the top managers wouldnt have us in the top 4 at least. In fact most would have us in the title race. The likes of Ancelotti would have us playing good football,has PL experience and has a CL to his name. He was the perfect choice outside of Jose.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Providing we don't make the same mistake like with Moyes. Which was expecting Manchester United to change the manger rather than the other way round. Sound pretty funny when you look at it. A defensive resilient coach who we expected to play fast and progressive football.
This is perhaps part of what went wrong in the first place - whilst we the fans might prioritise the style of play that a manager brings to the club, I'm not sure there's been any indication at all that that was taken into account when the appointment was made. Of all we've heard from Sir Alex about why Moyes got the job, has there been much (any?) talk about his style of play or how he would bring the team forward? There's been plenty about his character, using young players and remaining at Everton for 11 years without being canned, etc., but I can't imagine the board meeting that approved Moyes unanimously spent too long going over such details as how the team would play.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Do you real think we can pry Klopp away from Dortmund? I'd love it to be the case but our resident Germans consider it just as likely that we sign Messi.
Klopps eyeing the German national team job after the world cup with Low likely to fumble again in Brazil at least the Bild had stitched up this spiel for the last couple seasons with many ex Bavarian numpties all crowing on the same line. Before Guardiola took over, they viewed Klopp as a threat to their local dominance and wanted to move him away from Dortmund to Frankfurt.

Wooing Klopp to England is bit complicated, we have to wait for the world cup to finish before even an attempt can be made.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
We need a proven manager at the top level, who has won things. No more of this 'taking a punt' kind of manager. So that means no Martinez, Pochettino or whoever else is flavour of the month.
This.
Who does that give us?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This 100%

It amazes me that people would come out of Moyes' reign thinking that appointing a manager with no experience at anything near our level is a good idea. It's the single biggest mistake the club has made in decades and people are already eager to repeat it. It's insanity.

Sam

This.
Who does that give us?
I'm not sure really tbh. The names banded about like Capello, Van Gal don't really inspire me. We had the perfect situation in the Summer where we could have got one of Mourinho, Guardiola or Anchelotti...and now we're gonna have to either go a step down if we go for someone 'available', or just chuck a load of money at someone like Kloop. Or maybe even accept we made a mistake and go all out to prise Jose from Chelsea? I don't know if that would even be possible.

Basically, we're in a big mess of our own making.

Ringo 07

This sounds good in theory but in truth it's absolute BS of the highest order........For a start there are no managers with years of experience out there that are either available or suitable - Hiddink and Ancelloti will not be available....Capello and Van Gaal I doubt would be suitable. Who else would you suggest? Lippi? Curbishly?

Liverpool, Everton, Atletico Madrid, Southampton, Dortmund, Juventus etc are all doing extremely well with managers they initially took a punt on because they all chose managers that sold them a vision of winning while playing modern attractive football that the fans demand at big clubs.

Mourinho and Guardiola were flavor of the month at the start of their young careers and are still flavor of the month because they are born winners.

I'd take Ancellotti in a heartbeat in the summer but I'd just as happy settle for an up and coming manager that is consistently punching above his weight while playing pressing attractive football. Moyes has already proven that tactically he simply is not up to the job unless he brings in a top coach in the summer to help him out and he may be too stubborn to even consider that.

Amir

This is perhaps part of what went wrong in the first place - whilst we the fans might prioritise the style of play that a manager brings to the club, I'm not sure there's been any indication at all that that was taken into account when the appointment was made. Of all we've heard from Sir Alex about why Moyes got the job, has there been much (any?) talk about his style of play or how he would bring the team forward? There's been plenty about his character, using young players and remaining at Everton for 11 years without being canned, etc., but I can't imagine the board meeting that approved Moyes unanimously spent too long going over such details as how the team would play.
That was part of the problem with Sir Alex making the choosing. If other people were more involved we might have looked for a manager who would have created a team that plays a different, more modern, brand of football. But if Sir Alex thought our style was a problem, he would have done something about it over the last few years. He hasn't, so he didn't see a need to pick a manager who would.

Amir

I'd take Ancellotti in a heartbeat in the summer but I'd just as happy settle for an up and coming manager that is consistently punching above his weight while playing pressing attractive football. Moyes has already proven that tactically he simply is not up to the job unless he brings in a top coach in the summer to help him out and he may be too stubborn to even consider that.
It's a bit painful to see the managers who joined new clubs last summer and who we ended up getting. Kind of like seeing all the quality midfielders changing clubs in recent years, while we signed no one.

But it's done now. And I agree - there's nothing wrong with appointing a more up and coming manager who has the right attributes, ideas and football style. And let's face it, if all things were considered last summer and Moyes would have been compared to other managers like that, he simple would not have gotten the job. So let's do a serious job at it this time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That was part of the problem with Sir Alex making the choosing. If other people were more involved we might have looked for a manager who would have created a team that plays a different, more modern, brand of football. But if Sir Alex thought our style was a problem, he would have done something about it over the last few years. He hasn't, so he didn't see a need to pick a manager who would.
Didn't he buy Kagawa as a first step in changing our style? Supposedly other players were against the idea or something...

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Why hasn't Heynckes been mentioned more often?! He'd be perfect for the kind of football we're craving and he's available! He wanted some time off after Bayern let him go and I'm sure 7-8 months out of the game is enough time to recharge your batteries. I doubt he'd stay with us for more than a couple of years, given his age, but I'm sure he'd take us in the right direction and we'd see massive improvements in our results.

Sam

This sounds good in theory but in truth it's absolute BS of the highest order........For a start there are no managers with years of experience out there that are either available or suitable - Hiddink and Ancelloti will not be available....Capello and Van Gaal I doubt would be suitable. Who else would you suggest? Lippi? Curbishly?

Liverpool, Everton, Atletico Madrid, Southampton, Dortmund, Juventus etc are all doing extremely well with managers they initially took a punt on because they all chose managers that sold them a vision of winning while playing modern attractive football that the fans demand at big clubs.

Mourinho and Guardiola were flavor of the month at the start of their young careers and are still flavor of the month because they are born winners.

Its bullshit of the highest order wanting a proven manager?

Amir

Didn't he buy Kagawa as a first step in changing our style? Supposedly other players were against the idea or something...
You could always look for little signs, like our early games in 2011/12 or the signing of Kagawa, but the bottom line is it never fully happened. Even our move to a diamond formation last season was quickly forgotten.

Empire

Good. Maybe this will prompt the Glazers and Woodward to ask who is this Louis Van Gaal?

We should send a CV pretending to be from him to Woodward in London. LVN is right down their street, he can work on a minimal budget and probably consistently attain the top four. He'll develop youth and players with high sell on value, lay the foundations for a potentially glorious team and play attractive football boosting the club's reputation and so ability to get record sponsorship deals.

The downside is that he is outspoken and also his team's need time to get used to his methods. Therefore brings an inherent risk to attaining top four however I would be surprised if he doesn't considering the quality at United*, the young players, the youth system and the finances at his disposal.

*We have a lot of quality, unfortunately glaring weaknesses have led to our struggles but with a few signings such as a left back, second right back (or promote Varela), Central midfielder etc then we will be fine because we have a good squad, some world class players and some great youngsters. Moyes system doesn't cater to many of our players however I'm sure LVN would utilise the likes of Kagawa better.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
This 100%

It amazes me that people would come out of Moyes' reign thinking that appointing a manager with no experience at anything near our level is a good idea. It's the single biggest mistake the club has made in decades and people are already eager to repeat it. It's insanity.
It wouldn't be insanity at all. You don't need to hire a manager based solely on their CV. Their managerial style and tactics should play massive parts as well. I think someone like Pochettino would be brilliant at a bigger club. If I was United I'd rather have him, than say a Van Gaal or Hiddink. I don't think he'll even be considered though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It wouldn't be insanity at all. You don't need to hire a manager based solely on their CV. Their managerial style and tactics should play massive parts as well. I think someone like Pochettino would be brilliant at a bigger club. If I was United I'd rather have him, than say a Van Gaal or Hiddink. I don't think he'll even be considered though.
Pochettino would be a shout to move up a level to a club like Spurs, or a Spanish side like Valencia or the like.

Ringo 07

With Some of the Sunday rags reporting that we'll go for Van Gaal if we ditch Moyes in the summer....no guarantees in football that your new manager will work but I think at this point many fans would take van gaal in a heart beat in the summer over moyes based primarily on style of football we'd play and secondly of course the experience that van gaal has

Anderson18

We need to move fast tbh. I mean Louis van Gaal is the last experienced manager there is left. Hiddink to Netherlands and Van Gaal to Spurs and we could very well be without any kind of option B for next season, if Moyes is hopefully sacked. This rumour about Van Gaal and De Boer would be perfect. Also van Gaal is the type of manager we need. You disrespect him your out. Even his own daughter has to be formal to him. I'm not his biggest fan because of his time at Bayern Munich, but he'd be a vast improvement on David Moyes.

Mersault

I'd still hope we'd try everything to persuade Klopp. I'd take van Gaal though

FineYoungCasual

I'll tell you one thing, if Van Gaal does end up at Spurs and we keep Moyes there's literally no chance of Top 4 for us next season.

You'd have Moyes competing against -

Arsenal - Wenger
Chelsea - Jose
City - Pellegrini
Liverpool - Rodgers
Spurs - Van Gaal

And then you've got guys like Martinez and Pochettino who you haven't reached their peak as managers yet but are close to Moyes level already (at least).

There's no way we'd breaking into that Top 4 with a tactical dinosaur at the helm.

Dominos

I'm not sure really tbh. The names banded about like Capello, Van Gal don't really inspire me.
Capello put me off as well with his England stint to be honest.

Van Gaal is about as exciting as an appointment we're gonna get though. Interesting character, progressive attractive football, history of success. Reputation as a bit of a nutter seems less relevant given he'd be taking over a shit heap of a situation so it's not like he'd have anything to ruin or we have anything to risk - I can only really see anyone taking us forward from this point.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd still hope we'd try everything to persuade Klopp. I'd take van Gaal though
I'd be doing everything we can to get Klopp but set a deadline to it. Past the deadline then we jump on van gaal. I'd take either with open arms. I'd even accept a name change to van Redsky!

Gannicus

Obviously, we need to be thinking beyond Moyes. What's not so obvious is whether to try to pry loose an experienced manager who has no experience in the prem or an up and comer who has experience in the prem.

Whatever the answer, we best not be fukking around with Jurassic Gollum for another season.

Bojan11

Van Gaal would be a good appointment.

But we would have to also back him in the market. As being Dutch he will tend to fall out with the players.

But let him come in for a few years build a system and then let someone younger replace him.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
It's more than just that, they're talking of a Van Gaal with De Boer. That could be very interesting.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
That is correct. Usually after a few years he falls out with both the players and the club. However on those years he will pretty much guarantee you a great infrastructure for the next manager, exciting football and possibly a few trophies.

I think that from the available choices he is the best choice (although personally I favour Bielsa - he is even more extreme than Van Gaal) and he can give some good years. When he falls out with the players/club, well, pull the trigger and sack him. Hopefully by then either Klopp would be available or Ole would have shown that he can do a job here.
^This is what I think.

LVG would be a great short term option whilst trying to formulate the correct long term appointment.

He would instantly command respect and stop the rot that seems to have spread throughout the dressing room.

He has pedigree.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
Where are these van gaal rumours emanating from? I haven't seen anything

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
Wait - just seen them being reported by the metro. Not sure if credible source, but I hope to God they're true. Would be amazing to have Van gaal and de boer!!

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Is be happy with a younger manager so long as he was going to take us in the right direction. Instant success doesn't bother me but do want to feel like there's a plan in place and that the aim is to play exciting football and win trophies.

Spending millions on top players and continuing to play the percentages is the worst possible thing we could do (on all fronts) but I'm pretty sure this is where moyes is taking us.