Who's attainable if we were to spend big and improve our squad?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I would argue with some of your choices for players, but, the idea itself is solid. If we're realistic though, nothing has shown us that this will happen, at all, especially not 8 new signings, even if it is needed :(.
I really feel like this is why a DoF seems to be a must.
8 players isn't that big really, especially over 2 years.

Look at Liverpool in this window alone, let alone two.
Then look at City last season, they spent crazy money, but they won the league, at a canter.

With Ed, the problem seems to be, big name players. Forget what fits, get the name.
We really need to move on from this

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Lots of folk around Leicester think Maguire is headed to Manchester in January, I'm not sure he would be able to put up with JM's bs though.

Just a thought but Kante could be available and he would definitely make Manchester's back four look a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:

MataFanatic

Attainable:
Nathan Ake
Toby Aldeweireld
Alex Sandro
Mauro Icardi
Ivan Perisic

Dream Signings:
Rafael Varane
Marco Verratti
Thiago Alcantara
Harry Kane

sam147

Its more a question of who wants the dross we currently have on big wages? We wont sign much until we get rid of the current substandard players. Players who are somewhat realistic in key areas:
Icardi: Inter wont go to that next level and the wages we offer are not easily matched. We would have to ship of that rugby player/rapper Lukaku though. This is more of a dream signing - Ideally we prioritize CB.
Pulisic: relatively straightforward. Easy to market to the US market and should be available. However, seems like the shrewd signing Chelsea would make while be dither.
Rodri: Perfect mixture of a ball winning midfielder who can pass between the lines. However, Atleti recently signed him but they are known to be a selling club.
Alex Telles: Luke Shaw for all his recent solid performance should not be relied on as a sole LB. Ideally Valencia leaves and young covers RB with Dalot. Porto are a selling club and Telles is definitely ready for that next step. He is robust and his attacking prowess is a class above shaw. Good competition never hurts.
Koulibaly: one of the more difficult signings to make. He would be a more ideal fit than Alderweireld who seems off the pace. He is at the right age to lead that back line for a solid 4-5 years. Tall, strong, consistent and top quality on the ball.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need to be sensible in our approach because we have quite a few positions that need major surgery if we're to close the gap to City.

I do like Koulibaly and would love to see him at the club but the financial out lay required to sign him would be astronomical and would hamper us in our quest to strengthen other positions.

Aldeweireld along with the young Serbian defender Milenkovic would suit us better. And we should go all out for a CM and RW with what remains in the budget. I personally would like us to sign 2 CM's but doubt that's gonna happen. The fullback positions is fine with Shaw and Dalot who I believe will make the RB spot his own.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
If reports are to be believed Alderweireld turned down 130k for Spurs, and that he is looking for at least 180k. Are fans here happy with that? Would make him your best paid defender by far, and would be 30 by the time he is signed.

Green_Red

Pochettino might be available for the right price. Would be an awesome addition to our squad.

Needham

If reports are to be believed Alderweireld turned down 130k for Spurs, and that he is looking for at least 180k. Are fans here happy with that? Would make him your best paid defender by far, and would be 30 by the time he is signed.
I wouldn't be. An entire change in vision is required.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He would be worth it if we can also sign Nikola Milenkovic from Fiorentina who I believe will be one of the best CB's in Europe in a few years.

The above would be better than throwing a astronomical bid towards Napoli or Inter for Koulibaly/ Skriniar.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We need to be sensible in our approach because we have quite a few positions that need major surgery if we're to close the gap to City.

I do like Koulibaly and would love to see him at the club but the financial out lay required to sign him would be astronomical and would hamper us in our quest to strengthen other positions.

Aldeweireld along with the young Serbian defender Milenkovic would suit us better. And we should go all out for a CM and RW with what remains in the budget. I personally would like us to sign 2 CM's but doubt that's gonna happen. The fullback positions is fine with Shaw and Dalot who I believe will make the RB spot his own.
We have no real alternative to Shaw though. At least on the right we have Young and Fosu Mensah long term

Kweku Amonoo

Before we even consider spending any sum, we should first look within and see the players we have already who could improve us. Angel Gomes for instance, should already be in the first team. Shame he's still stuck with the unders.

Players like Sancho and Reiss Nelson left England and are already showing their talents at the highest level while garnering invaluable experience. Tuanzebe is a great prospect too. We really need to give these guys a chance before looking to sign anyone.

Even Greenwood. I know he's 16 but feck it. He looks special. England in general have a great generation of players coming through but it seems the English clubs haven't caught wind and are still looking out for foreign talents. Shame really.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Bestietom

We need to bring in at least 5 players, whoever the manager is. Realistically we need to invest big money in the transfer market starting from January. I'm not saying to go out and buy the top players, but we need to bring in improvements on what we have here now.

We have over 50 scouts working for us ffs. The one based in France is supposed to find us ready made players, that will fit into the team immediately, we have others all over the World. Surely some of them can find us a bargain or two, or is Woodward even listening to them.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
We need to bring in at least 5 players, whoever the manager is. Realistically we need to invest big money in the transfer market starting from January. I'm not saying to go out and buy the top players, but we need to bring in improvements on what we have here now.

We have over 50 scouts working for us ffs. The one based in France is supposed to find us ready made players, that will fit into the team immediately, we have others all over the World. Surely some of them can find us a bargain or two, or is Woodward even listening to them.
Or perhaps there is no such thing as a bargain when United come in for a player. They see our turnover, and double or treble the price they would previously have sold at. Ndombele, for example, for us would probably be 60 / 70 million where as if Napoli, say, came in, it might be 30 or 35. Especially since they know we're desperate to get back to being competitive, they push it and see how desperate we are. Since our owners don't put a single penny in we don't have a limitless pot, so we cannot bring in 5 players at 70 mil a go. I'm not saying I have an answer, but we cannot expect the sort of spending you're suggesting

Bestietom

Or perhaps there is no such thing as a bargain when United come in for a player. They see our turnover, and double or treble the price they would previously have sold at. Ndombele, for example, for us would probably be 60 / 70 million where as if Napoli, say, came in, it might be 30 or 35. Especially since they know we're desperate to get back to being competitive, they push it and see how desperate we are. Since our owners don't put a single penny in we don't have a limitless pot, so we cannot bring in 5 players at 70 mil a go. I'm not saying I have an answer, but we cannot expect the sort of spending you're suggesting
I am sorry, but I never mentioned 70 million per player. Other clubs can find players who don't cost an arm and a leg so why can't we. We do not need to go for all the top players and pay over the odds, although we may need a few in the team now. But we have more scouts that any other club in Europe, and it is their Job to find us these players. They are very good players out there with a buy out clause for less than 40million in their contracts.

Young established players like Milenkovic, or Andersen, who play for their countries and are better than what we have, can be got for 40 million each or less. If Woodward/ Mourinho were to take heed of the scouts, instead of trying to steal players that other clubs like City, Chelsea or Liverpool want, just to put one over on them, we would be fine. It seems Woodward just wants to spend the entire funds on 1 Marquee player to get brownie points from some fans.

I'm sorry but one player don't make a team, we need numbers, along with getting rid of the deadwood. Other clubs have persevered with young players and made them better, but Mourinho just wants ready made players for a quick fix, because he knows his time is up.

United Pro

True. But surely we can find a 'Kante type' on the market. I.e Ndombele, Witsel etc
I wouldn't necessarily say either Witsel or Ndombele are Kante type players.

I made a thread around this time last year as to why we should move for Torreira. I think Santiago Ascacibar at Stuttgart would do a really good for us as well.

EyeInTheSky

Didn't city sign a 60m pound centre back last january? and lvierpool a 70m one? What is stopping us doing that if we have the money
We are not allowed to according to caff einsteins. Our injury plagued back line has to continue from SAF, Moyes, LVG and JM. However we must support Pep and Klopp in replacing and spending at will.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

True. But surely we can find a 'Kante type' on the market. I.e Ndombele, Witsel etc
Ndombele plays nothing like Kante.
He isn't a DM nor does he have good defensive workrate, all his best qualities are offensive.

Honestly the player he is the most similar to would be Pogba, except that he's stronger with better balance when he makes his run while Pogba is a lot more technical overall (passing,shooting,dribblinb in tight space)

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
There's so many attainable players like I mentioned in my previous post.
The difference is, absolute top of the game players, not so much.
Very very good players that would improve us, there's plenty.

Problem is
A. Ed want's big names
B. We still persist with Jones, Valencia, Young etc when we need to move them on
C. Instant results. I'd be happy to have a 'season off' while having 6,7 even 8 players come in. Give them a year and build on it

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Didn't city sign a 60m pound centre back last january? and lvierpool a 70m one? What is stopping us doing that if we have the money
Woodward only fancied Varane for £100m and when Madrid told him to feck off he had no clue.

Steerpike

I think we need to have a different vision, and look to sign younger players who have yet to reach their peak who we can develop (after sacking Mourinho). We're most likely not going to be able to sign proven performers who are at the top of their game anyway (for a variety of reasons, one being the manager). We've also seen that proven ability elsewhere doesn't always translate into great performances for United.

I'd start with Wan-Bissaka - we need a right back, and he's been performing really well in a struggling team.

We do need a left-sided centre back, but I'm not sure what the best options are there. It may be too soon to write off Marcos Rojo, though he does seem injury prone.

In attacking areas, I think Jaden Sancho would be a great signing (but possibly not realistic). Otherwise, I quite like Ademola Lookman.

Harold_Giles

How much would Ryan Fraser cost? In the 40-50m region or more?

I really like the look of him. Very eager, quick feet and not afraid of trying to beat his marker. Also seems to know how to be at the right place in the right time.
Right footed playing mostly as a left forward.
Would be a classic Fergie signing imo.

backofthenet

I am sorry, but I never mentioned 70 million per player. Other clubs can find players who don't cost an arm and a leg so why can't we. We do not need to go for all the top players and pay over the odds, although we may need a few in the team now. But we have more scouts that any other club in Europe, and it is their Job to find us these players. They are very good players out there with a buy out clause for less than 40million in their contracts.

Young established players like Milenkovic, or Andersen, who play for their countries and are better than what we have, can be got for 40 million each or less. If Woodward/ Mourinho were to take heed of the scouts, instead of trying to steal players that other clubs like City, Chelsea or Liverpool want, just to put one over on them, we would be fine. It seems Woodward just wants to spend the entire funds on 1 Marquee player to get brownie points from some fans.

I'm sorry but one player don't make a team, we need numbers, along with getting rid of the deadwood. Other clubs have persevered with young players and made them better, but Mourinho just wants ready made players for a quick fix, because he knows his time is up.
But my point was that as soon as we go in for Milenkovic, or Andersen, they stop being 40m, and we get quoted 70m. That's not a problem to the oil clubs, but it is to us. We don't have limitless money. So in some ways you can't blame Woody for going for the world superstars, because in theory you know what you're going to get when you spend big bucks, whereas you don't with young players. Unfortunately that's not worked too well for us with the likes of Sanchez, Pogba or Lukaku so far, for coaching reasons.

ABC of Football

I like the look of James Maddison. There are probably much better players out there then him, but I do think one of the biggest players we miss is a good creator. You look at Hazard, Silva, Ericcson, and I don't see anyone in our team who can create something out of nothing. Or create anything at all at the moment! All our goals come from luck...!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
But my point was that as soon as we go in for Milenkovic, or Andersen, they stop being 40m, and we get quoted 70m. That's not a problem to the oil clubs, but it is to us. We don't have limitless money. So in some ways you can't blame Woody for going for the world superstars, because in theory you know what you're going to get when you spend big bucks, whereas you don't with young players. Unfortunately that's not worked too well for us with the likes of Sanchez, Pogba or Lukaku so far, for coaching reasons.
Milenkovic and Anderson are at clubs that are known to be selling clubs in Fiorentina and Sampdoria. Milenkovic is currently playing at RB due to Fiorentina being pretty strong at the heart of defence.

I personally hope we go all out for Milenkovic who I believe is the most complete young defender in European football. Between £40m to £50m should do it.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
None of those players are "world superstars". Sanchez is over-the-hill, Pogba is far from being the "world class" CM that some cracked him up to be, and Lukaku was a very good striker for a mid-table team like Everton.

It's also a myth that United need to pay more to get the same player that another club could get for less. If you do pay more it's simply down to bad tactics - i.e. talking about how much money you have to spend, not walking away from over-priced deals sufficiently often and being too desperate to get the allegedly "quick fix" player.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Get rid of the deadwood, and sign up and coming players who are hungry, De Ligt, De Jong, Werner, Skinrar, Tonali, Havertz, Barella, Ndombele, Tierney to name but a few, obviously not all of them, but they really the type of players we should be looking at, and improving, so we'll need a coach who has the slightest ability of being able to improve and motivate young footballers, and Mourinho certainly isn't that.

Pochettino, Zidane, Howe maybe?

backofthenet

None of those players are "world superstars". Sanchez is over-the-hill, Pogba is far from being the "world class" CM that some cracked him up to be, and Lukaku was a very good striker for a mid-table team like Everton.

It's also a myth that United need to pay more to get the same player that another club could get for less. If you do pay more it's simply down to bad tactics - i.e. talking about how much money you have to spend, not walking away from over-priced deals sufficiently often and being too desperate to get the allegedly "quick fix" player.
Cos that works for Spurs who end up signing... er... no one?

Every premier league team is suffering with this same problem, albeit that the top six get the most issues with this. I'm not saying this is unique to United. What I am asking for is some realism from the United supporters. What I'm not asking for is some no mark, won nothing, wind-up merchant weighing in on something he's got nothing of interest to say in.

AndyJ1985

I'm firmly of the opinion we shouldn't spend another penny until Mourinho and Woodward are gone. It's been nothing but pissing money up the wall for years and we're actually getting worse the more we spend. There are far bigger problems that need addressing before we can start getting giddy about new signings again

Hammondo

We need a central midfield general to run our game. This is by FAR the main player we need, every other signing is pointless without this.

WPMUFC

fred is benched for no reason. Dalot cannot get a start after Young goes 0/11 in crosses against palace.

Does anyone want Jose to spend 100+ million on players in Jan when there is a 50%+ chance they will be benched?

Doracle

We need a central midfield general to run our game. This is by FAR the main player we need, every other signing is pointless without this.
This is exactly right. Midfield has been a disaster zone for several years and we just seem incapable of resolving it. Our current options provide very little protection for our defence and play far too slowly to give us attacking momentum. Surely somewhere on the planet there must be a Keane or even a Carrick type player available?

Roboc7

There are a lot of attainable players who could improve our team we just need to target players who fill specific roles and complement the style of play (assuming we actually have one once Mourinho goes) and other players we have.

Matic was never the right player to partner Pogba in midfield and Lukaka isn’t a target man. Mourinho like LVG and Moyes has bought players that don’t work together or has to be shoe horned in.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Milenkovic and Chiesa from Fiorentina.

I doubt Chiesa in Jan, but Milenkovic for a big bid would be obtainable.

Then a young winger, like that German and Russian lad we’ve been scouting.

I think we’ll have to wait till the summer for the DM. Better off trying to get the most out of the squad we have.