Why are we dropping the standards for Ole?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by MyOnlySolskjaer, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Sep 10, 2019

welshwingwizard Full Member

He isn't winning games though is he so that argument doesn't make sense. I think those of us who are critical of Ole would be giving him more leeway if he were playing the talented youth or had us at least trying to play a certain way ala Lampard where you can see what he is trying to implement even though they aren't quite there.

Ole talks a good game about playing a certain way but i don't recognise that on the field.
  2. Sep 10, 2019

Kemizee Full Member

Maybe you have not followed our history and pattern of managerial sack. This stingy board is never gonna sack Ole with a heavy compensation to lose at the beginning of the season. They will only act when he has lost top 4 possibility and the compensation is reduced heavily. It's all financials at the moment. This is no longer a football club!
  3. Sep 10, 2019

Denis79 Full Member

Then they have confidence, right? So back him. Size of United isn't a testing ground.
  4. Sep 10, 2019

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    What the feck? With your username too ffs
  5. Sep 10, 2019

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    You dont trust him?
  6. Sep 10, 2019

Amerifan Full Member

Pure speculation, but I think we planned to back him when we hired him. Then the season ended poorly and we lost our nerve. We did all the steps of a rebuild over the summer except invest. I expect that will happen once Ole has proven himself. If things don’t work out with Ole, we’ll invest with whoever replaces him.
  7. Sep 10, 2019

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Exactly the point of this thread. I can separate Ole as a player and Ole as a manager.
  8. Sep 10, 2019

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Struggling to see how we're going forward.
  9. Sep 10, 2019

starman Full Member

Hopefully the Watford owners buy United and can then satisfy some of the trigger happy clowns on here
  10. Sep 10, 2019

fergiesarmy1 Full Member

I don’t think anyone is arguing we shouldn’t be beating these tea
    He is not going to say otherwise and selling Lukaku and Sanchez while making many attempts to sign an alternative striker points to something else, like Woodward fecking up yet again.
  11. Sep 10, 2019

ayushreddevil9 Full Member

Tbf i called the 'rabiot wanting to play with Pogba to rebuild a good reputation for NT' part random.
  12. Sep 10, 2019

Kemizee Full Member

Alright. Fair enough. Was thinking you meant our recruitment strategy.
  13. Sep 10, 2019

manunited1919 Full Member

It’s a good thing you used the word “seemingly” about our defensive improvement. Chris Smalling has been our best defender over the last few years (despite his lack of passing ability), and he just got shipped out to Roma. OWB is a definite improvement. But the jury is still out about the defensive performance of Maguire + Lindelof being much better than Smalling + Lindelof. I would say 2 steps forward 1 step backward for our defense.
  14. Sep 10, 2019

fergiesarmy1 Full Member

Just trying to throw some positive spin on things :lol:
  15. Sep 10, 2019

manunited1919 Full Member

Then tell me Lingard is injured for the rest if the season, we need positive spin!!! :devil:
  16. Sep 10, 2019

fergiesarmy1 Full Member

There ain’t no stopping us now :D
  17. Sep 10, 2019

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Not anti Scotish, just posted a lot against Moyes.
    Nicely said and a great example. Somebody who obviously so passionate about Ole the player to have him as a username but sensible enough to admit he is no good as a manager. I wish others would admit that too. If he wasn't an ex United player he would be getting zero excuses.
  18. Sep 11, 2019

Leftback99 Full Member

19. Sep 11, 2019

Kush Full Member

I find it rather funny that anyone who questions Oles' management this early on are immediately shut down by his backers who say that it's only been 4 games. But then hail how 3 of his signings are looking amazing, when again it's been only 4 games.... You couldn't make this shit up.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  20. Sep 11, 2019

Hawks2008 Full Member

Next 3 league games are Leicester, West Ham, and Arsenal. Anything less than 7 points will be very worrying.
  21. Sep 11, 2019

snowkarl New Member

Would be extremely unsurprising if we won 1, lost 1 and drew 1.

Very difficult games, all 3.
  22. Sep 11, 2019

tenpoless Full Member

Phil Jones 140m the new Duncan Edwards.
  23. Sep 11, 2019

Isotope Full Member

Supports:
    Ole Ole Ole
    Agreed with a DM and RW. And if Pogba leave, we need a creative midfielder.
  24. Sep 11, 2019

Majima Full Member

Read it.

That would assume we would change Ole for a similar level of manager. Unless we're planning on plucking his replacement from the Norwegian league too, that's unlikely.

What if you were to believe that Ole is not even a top 10 manager to begin with?

We done precisely that, with the added bonus of him being inexperienced too.

But... it did make perfect sense at the time, a familiar face steadying the ship whilst we planned for significant change at the club with a dof etc... I was totally on board with that... but all that was then thrown out of the window and he was given the permanent job off the back of a short sample size albeit impressive.

They didn't even wait to see how he handled the bad results. That wasn't a thorough hiring process at all.

It smacks of a cop out from the board, who would much rather put someone green in charge who they can control and manipulate the fans romanticism & nostalgia with, because they are totally resistant to the required changes involved for us to compete.

Ole never got the job in the first place based off his own past credentials as a coach. If he wasn't a Utd legend, he wouldn't have even been on the shortlist to begin with.

Regardless of how nice i think he is, I just don't agree with that.
  25. Sep 11, 2019

Will Singh Full Member

Does anyone think Ole can do any better then Mourinho? If Pogba leaves with Oke we will be truly fecked but with Mourinho I would have been more confident of a replacement.

So that's what it's down to trust, Ole is a legend but ain't done nothing for us to back him with in managerial sence, so its more a gamble we are giving him a chance and hoping for the best.

I think it will be once he can't hit he's target which I hope is top 4 then he will be sacked, if that is he's target then sack him already because there ain't no way we are playing CL next season!
  26. Sep 11, 2019

redIndianDevil Full Member

He didn't just look at the squad did he? He spent truckloads of cash, alienated our good players to support trash like Lukaku, Sanchez and Matic, broke our already high wage structure, wanted to buy even more expensive crap like Willian, Perisic...i could go on but you get the gist right?
  27. Sep 11, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Read complete post.

Doesn't matter against which team we lose as long as he reaches his goals.
  28. Sep 11, 2019

There is a phenomenon called "new manager bounce" and it's real. We were under such a negative cloud from Mourinho that our players were absolutely fired up after we fired that cnut.

Look at this in this angle, a manager comes to a new club, has no time to coach so he goes on a poor run at the start but as time goes he coaches his team and they improve steadily. On the other hand we have OGS who took over a team and produced instant results but as time goes we become poorer and poorer. Which of these two would you call a good manager?
  29. Sep 11, 2019

Probably the guy meant us selling off all those players, I wonder why so many people give credit to OGS for doing that, it was probably the easiest thing any manager could do
  30. Sep 11, 2019

Leftback99 Full Member

We had Mourinho who is a top class manager and results haven't got worse, in fact if anything the underlying numbers are better (expected goals has us third since Solskjaer came in). As the article says, a lot of it is just down to luck.
  31. Sep 11, 2019

Revaulx Full Member

Im not sure about that. It was obvious before the end of his first season that Darmian wasn’t going to make it at United, yet it took three years before Ole came along and got rid of him.

Of course if we fail to get any better having got rid of a lot of “deadwood” the whole exercise is pretty pointless.
  32. Sep 11, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

I LvG first season I think we offloaded/released 18 players of something like that. We continued to do the same in his second season and also in the first season Jose stepped in we also offloaded quite a bit.

Wouldn't say offloading players is something special - not replacing them is worse.

The reason why we keep buying/offloading players is because we have appointed different managers with different styles.
  33. Sep 11, 2019

romufc Full Member

I am sure there is, whatever people say we do spend money when needed, just not in the right way.

The thing is we need a manager who will improve players, improve style of play and get us back to challenging.

Not many managers can do that. Currently, only Pep, Klopp and maybe Poch can IMO.
  34. Sep 11, 2019

Disagree. Darmian always had buyers in Italy but his move was always held up by us demanding a transfer fee. OGS had no role in that.
  35. Sep 11, 2019

ArjenIsM3 Full Member

Not just because we have appointed different managers with different styles. The replacements we've brought in have been mostly crap too. At least that seems to have changed now that Ole's here, though it's still early days of course.
  36. Sep 11, 2019

Denis79 Full Member

You're right. If there are no expectations, just selling players is no feat but if he manages to get results while doing this it's completely the opposite. We'll know end of May.
  37. Sep 11, 2019

Okey Full Member

There's a shed load of managers out there who have proven to improve players and style of play beyond the 3 you mentioned. Maybe they don't fit United's profile, and I can't guarantee they'll have us challenging but their body of work shows we'll be a better team tactically at least. Nuno, Hassenhuttl, Rose, Ten Hag, Brendan Rodgers, Nagelsman...definitely many more.
  38. Sep 11, 2019

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

Definitely. There are many better managers out there than Solksjaer,, there is no doubt about it. Giving it the old "oh, stop moaning we don't have Pep/Klopp/Poch" is a joke - Brendan Rodgers is a better manager than OGS, he's proven that throughout the course of his career so far. And he is looking better at present with Leicester, in my opinion. I wouldn't really want Rodgers at OT, not saying that, but if you need a new car and you can't get the Ferrrari, there are other options on the table that aren't a Ford Fiesta.
  39. Sep 11, 2019

Skills Snitch

That's harsh on a Fiesta.
  40. Sep 11, 2019

romufc Full Member

Alot of those managers named have not achieved much in their career. Nuno is a defensive manager.
    Hassenhuttl has improved which players?
    Ten Hag got to Ajax where he had exciting prospects, lets judge him after this season?
    Nagelsman again, lets judge him after this season.

These are all managers who have managed lesser teams and done well over last 1/2 years.

Rodgers was sacked by Liverpool for Klopp, and at Celtic he won the league which every manager does but not much noteworthy in the champions league?