Why did we buy Fred?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He is not as good as Pogba, although i am surprised he has not come on for him, perhaps towards the end of matches.

He does not work as hard as Herrera and is probably not as careful in possession. Fred probably has better vision than Herrera. Herrera is so important, like Rakitic is for Barca.

He is not considered for the DM role. Matic has made that his own with his tackling ability and his ability to snuff out attacks. Matic is much taller as well.

Could start against PSG instead of Pogba.

meninred

Is he really worse than Perrera and Mactominay ? It really dumbfounds me.

Litch

Heard the same about Lindelof.....shall we wait and see for more than one season

Tony247

I think the club is preparing to sell him or loan him. It is usual not to play player who is about to leave.

NJM78

Heard the same about Lindelof.....shall we wait and see for more than one season
We can wait two seasons, it will not really matter though if he cannot get on the pitch - his training must be pretty bad also if McT and Pereira are ahead of him from the bench.
We are surely buying another top class CM in the summer if we actually want to compete at the top level so that will make it even more difficult for him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Maybe there is a private reason? Didnt his wife give birth and there could be complications now.... who knows, however, strange that he never comes on

AgentP

Maybe there is a private reason? Didnt his wife give birth and there could be complications now.... who knows, however, strange that he never comes on
If that's the reason, he won't even be on the bench. Ole just doesn't fancy him. He still has time of course but I don't think he'll make it here.

soapythecat

I think his lack of appearances in the team and on the bench of late may be related to him: struggling to adapt to life in England/PL and that his wife recently gave birth. Pretty big evolutions that we just assume footballers are going to adapt to.
Has he been appearing in any of the training ground pictures that the club tends to release?
Far too early to be writing him off at this stage. When you look back at the clips and highlights of him at his previous club, then it's clear to see we have a very good footballer there. If it is something as simple as the reasons above, then he will be a welcome addition to our midfield when ready.

Fracture90

He's now behind Pereira (albeit it might be down to us wanting to get him to re-sign with us) and MCT behind the 'of the bench' pecking order, which is worrisome.

Think he can get some playing time in games where we're few up playing without danger where we can sub Matić off, push Herrera in Matić' position whilst Fred can take Herrera's spot.

Tony247

I don't understand, if he doesn't play then how is he going to adapt ever? I don't think it's just adaptation issue here.

JoaquinJoaquin

The odd post is yours considering it has feck all with what I said.

I laughed more at this than at the Scott sub. :lol:
Well then you have an awful sense of humour.

Why would you be happy to see a guy who will never make it here get a game over a guy who potentially can?

Denis' cuff

Wtf with all the confusion?

Clearly Woowoo being a DOF/acting like abramavich. None of the managers rate him.

Melville Red

What a shit transfer this turns out to be.
Mourinho’s last signing, what a legacy that man left. Did anyone from United actually go to The Ukraine and watch this Fred play? I bet the answer is no and that is what is wrong with our club.
We need a DOF to overhaul the scouting amongst other things, and make sure that when we spot a player the manager and DOF go and look at him first hand and do not rely on a DVD and the say so of some agent and the rumour that your rivals are interested in him.
Look before you leap, a very old and sensible quotation.

Kostov

Mourinho’s last signing, what a legacy that man left. Did anyone from United actually go to The Ukraine and watch this Fred play? I bet the answer is no and that is what is wrong with our club.
We need a DOF to overhaul the scouting amongst other things, and make sure that when we spot a player the manager and DOF go and look at him first hand and do not rely on a DVD and the say so of some agent and the rumour that your rivals are interested in him.
Look before you leap, a very old and sensible quotation.
I think it's unfair every bad signing to be put on Jose while the odd good one is one someone else. Woodward vetoed Alderweireld and could have easily done the same for some relatively unproven midfielder from the Ukrainian league for 52 millions. It's a total feck up by Woodward in my opinion since he is the decision maker by all accounts.

el3mel

Well then you have an awful sense of humour.

Why would you be happy to see a guy who will never make it here get a game over a guy who potentially can?
Scott has done more for United than Fred so far so I don't get what makes you that sure Fred will make it here more likely than Scott.

I can see Scott out lasting Fred here, easily.

JoaquinJoaquin

Scott has done more for United than Fred so far so I don't get what makes you that sure Fred will make it here more likely than Scott.

I can see Scott out lasting Fred here, easily.
That's just false. McTominay has been rubbish in 95% of the games he has played. Fred hasn't done alot better, but has had alot less opportunities. There is a chance he could come good (hence us spening over £50m for him). McTominay will never be good enough.

ROFLUTION

That's just false. McTominay has been rubbish in 95% of the games he has played. Fred hasn't done alot better, but has had alot less opportunities. There is a chance he could come good (hence us spening over £50m for him). McTominay will never be good enough.
That's simply not true. He hasn't set the world alight and never will, but he's given stable performances for the most of his games and done what his role has required of him, which is also probably the maximum of his game too.

el3mel

Scott has done brilliantly well when he was thrown against Liverpool and Chelsea last season while Fred couldn't even hold himself against fecking Reading.

If Ole gets the job it will be pretty hard to see him staying here long enough. Ole isn't keen on him and he's currently in the bottom of picking order in midfield shown by subs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I still don't know the answer to this question. And I'm guessing most at the club are in the same boat.

Maybe Mourinho just had to have a Brazillian.

Swearing Budgie

McTom at best will be a not-as-good Fletcher.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
He was in Brazils world cup squad ahead of Fabinho and some others. He was being looked at by plenty of big clubs (basd on media). Be patient and judge him at Christmas this year. If he can soak up the desire and passion knocking about the clubs at the minute im sure he will be fine.

Green_Red

I think we should but I also think we'll add a player to our midfield this summer. The game against PSG highlighted that we need someone that can give us a little bit more than what we currently have. I expect Matic's replacement to be brought in this summer. So, unless Fred adapts to a new position or improves significantly I can't see him getting back into the team.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
The times he has played he did some interesting and difficult things quite well, but somehow completely failed at doing the basics right which made him look like a liability.

In terms of profile he was definitely different than all our other midfielders, and most notably he has a very different skillset than guys like Fellaini, McTominay or Matic. Hopefully he can make himself useful and starts reaching an acceptable level before the end of the season.

JoaquinJoaquin

That's simply not true. He hasn't set the world alight and never will, but he's given stable performances for the most of his games and done what his role has required of him, which is also probably the maximum of his game too.
Tell me 5 good games he has had? And I don't mean 5 / 10 performances. Look at the games he has started this season (West Ham & Southampton), he was a complete shambles even if he was out of position. Opposition fans laugh at how bad he is. If you watch the u23's he is even bang average in those games to. Not a Manchester United midfielder i'm afraid.

JoaquinJoaquin

Scott has done brilliantly well when he was thrown against Liverpool and Chelsea last season while Fred couldn't even hold himself against fecking Reading.

If Ole gets the job it will be pretty hard to see him staying here long enough. Ole isn't keen on him and he's currently in the bottom of picking order in midfield shown by subs.
Brilliant and Scott McTominay have never, nor will they be, in the same sentence.

sam147

I would've liked to see him play at least near the end of the game. I still think he can come good next season. He has been in and out the team and then Jose got sacked and he has been totally left out. Herrera can't do that job alone next season so Fred should stay as a rotation/competition and we should focus on replacing Matic. Fred does have the vision and passing ability to do well but he looks casual at times and loose with the ball. He can improve this as he adjusts.

el3mel

Brilliant and Scott McTominay have never, nor will they be, in the same sentence.
I don't rate him highly but I know when to praise the players I don't rate. Scott did pretty well in big games last season and definitely did more for United than Fred who isn't playing because he failed himself big time whenever he played. Scott can outlast Fred here easily, and he since he's an academy player who barely costed the club anything while Fred isn't performing to a level equivalent l to what was paid for him.

ROFLUTION

Tell me 5 good games he has had? And I don't mean 5 / 10 performances. Look at the games he has started this season (West Ham & Southampton), he was a complete shambles even if he was out of position. Opposition fans laugh at how bad he is. If you watch the u23's he is even bang average in those games to. Not a Manchester United midfielder i'm afraid.
Scott McTominay barely has played 5 games this season and I highly doubt you can remember his specific games neither, as he's a stable guy who doesn't set the world alight as I said, so I'm gonna mention the stats from last season when he played full games:

Wins:
10W

Draws
2D

Lost:
1L

Quite the opposite of your 95% bad games claim, which is what I disputed. I'm not saying he's the next Pogba. But Liverpool (full game, won 2-1), Chelsea (won 2-1) springs to mind as good performances. While he hasn't been good this season, most of his games has been against midtable opponents last season, where we struggled to get points last season, so the above stats are not exactly bad.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He must be absolutely terrible in training to not even get substitute appearances. If it carries on this way until the end of the season we should replace him. The whole season is plenty of time to show some genuine quality even if not the consistency of it.