Why do people keep posting that the season is 'practically done', or 'literally over' for us...?

Keefy18

This isn't about whether or not Ole is a good punt or just more cronyism, but why on Earth do people keep insisting that the 'Season is over'?

I keep reading this in pretty much every thread discussing United and our choices this season it's annoying me -

There are 21 games left out of 38 in the PL

We're in the last 16 of the Champion's League

We're in the 3rd Round of the F.A Cup with a home game against Reading

This narrative that the 'Season is practically over' is factually incorrect, annoying and also dangerous in lowering expectation.

People are repeating it a lot in regard to our choice of interim boss, and what our expectations should be and to me it seems a fairly obvious mantra to continue lowering standards.

The season isn't 'almost over' - it isn't even halfway through...

We're in 2 prestigious Cup competitions and with our wage bill and season ticket prices we should be aiming to win both.

And regarding the PL - there are 60 points left for us to play for, and we're 11 points from 4th. Bigger gaps than 11 points have been made up in 20 games, many times before.

Cmon people - have a word with yourselves.
I agree its not over, but poor auld Ole and Mike have one hell of a job now lifting morale in the players and supporters in turn. They have to get their ideas across quickly and not only improve performances but more importantly results.

Lets be honest here, we're not winning the Champions league. We've a good squad and could give most teams trouble but the Champions League is a different animal altogether and very difficult to win.

The Premier League is all about 4th place and if we can get 4th or even an unthinkable 3rd place I'd be over the moon!

It's not over by any means, but I think a huge portion of supporters now would settle for just looking forward to games again and seeing some good football. That's how far Jose dragged this club backwards that our expectations are to just want to watch the team and enjoy it.

Reactions: Penna

Strachans Cigar

We won’t finish top 4 or win the CL. Hopefully get a Europa League spot.
In two minds about an EL spot. I’m torn because without it, in theory you are fresher for the domestic comps. More specifically, a tilt at the league. Eg Liverpool 2014.

Regarding the OP, without over elaborating, I think it is very much about lowering expectation and any pressure on Solskjaer whilst we sort our shit out.

Get behind the team fully of course, don’t expect owt, but be pleasantly surprised if we do achieve something.

Devil may care

Given how terribly this season has gone so far, ending it by seeing Solskjaer lift the cup would be pretty damn nice though.
I agree it would be a nice little end to Ole's run and finish a miserable season off with something positive, I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things I feel the rest of this season is just about lifting morale and playing some good football, anything else is a bonus.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Wasn't every other post early in the season drooling over Emery and Sarri about how they've implemented a system so quickly and you don't need time to do it. Now that Ole is here and we love him it's a bit different, almost as if this viewpoint was based on emotions.

Tarrou

I don't mind if we don't focus too much on results until the end of the season. This is a long-term process and focusing too much on short term success is partly why we've been so disjointed the last few years.

That isn't to say I won't be disappointed if we lose, or don't want trophies. I just think we should give the players and manager the room to make mistakes and try things without too much fear of failure.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Because most of the posters on this forum are extremely negative and love a moan.

Ajax Treesdown

with the upcoming fixtures we have a real opportunity to build some momentum and confidence going into our first real big test - spurs away in January. By that point be may have cut the gap since they have tougher fixtures than we do and the game at Wembley could be really decisive in closing the gap an putting Spurs under some serious pressure, we all know they have the potential to choke, particularly when Kane runs into a dry spell which will happen at some point throughout the season.

beedoubleyou

Dare I say it... a ready made excuse for the players? I’m not having any of it, we should be going out there to win every game, of course it won’t happen, but that should be our mentality
I can't imagine us going out there to not win every game. I'd expect nothing less from Ole, I cannot see him being made permanent boss however the season plays out, but he's damn well going to do his best to get his name in the hat. He'll most likely still be a relatively young manager when the next guy has gone.

The players are now without an excuse and are fighting for their futures. They are on trial here as much as Ole is.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the season is over, but it's more important that club think long term, Solskjaer will do the best he can in the short term. I see no reason why he cannot be every bit as good as a Guardiola or a Zidane, it's going to be hard to prove himself in 6-months and he won't have a Ronaldo, Messi or infinite well of cash to draw from like they did, but it's as good an opportunity as he'll get.

OldPop

This isn't about whether or not Ole is a good punt or just more cronyism, but why on Earth do people keep insisting that the 'Season is over'?
Ok, I have a word with myself.

Should we be realistic, chances are very, very small that we reach the top four or could win CL. Given what we have shown so far and, not least, how strong the competitors are, I would like to say that it is almost non-existent. If that is the only result worth anything, then the season is over.

But we still have a lot to play for!

To start with, get higher up in the table and win more cupmatches, then to develop the players and the game and organization for future seasons. And not least for our honor, the club's reputation and a strong brand that can lose value if we do not.

In that sense, the season is definitely not over. Therefore, our fans must continue to support the players, the team and the club, and when it's tough times we need to do it even more. If we do, there will be more victories!

Infra-red

There are at least 4 (and probably 5) better sides than us in the Premier League, and they all have a substantial lead over us in the table. Top 4 is realistically gone.

There are at least 10 sides better than us in Europe and we have just drawn one of them in the R16. CL win is highly unlikely.

We're still in the FA Cup and have an outside chance of doing something in it. That's about it.

If the board felt that there were serious targets still to go for, they wouldn't have hired an inexperienced manager with a history of failure coaching in the Premier League - they seem quite happy to write the season off (in terms of silverware), and tbh, so am I, provided there is a bit more positivity about the place and the football is actually watchable.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think people are saying the season is "over" because realistically, we aren't finishing in the top 4, and we aren't winning the Champions League.

To finish top 4 we've not only got to have a remarkable run of results ourselves, but have to rely on at least two clubs suffering notable drops in form. The Champions League speaks for itself. It's an incredibly difficult competition to win, and we'll have to get past some of the world's best sides to win it.

That leaves us the FA Cup, which I'm sure everyone wants us to win, but it isn't a competition you build a season around.

In terms of tangible results from the season, we've got slim pickings. We aren't winning the league, and both the FA Cup, and Champions League especially, are reliant on an element of luck.

We've an extremely outside chance of getting top 4, so the season is "over".

What I, and I'm sure many others, actually want out of the remainder of the season, is the following:
  • Clear signs that we're attempting to play attacking, attractive football, playing games on the front foot, and simply getting the fans excited to watch the team again.
  • Seeing the players come out of the obvious slump they've been in, and see the attacking players especially, show what they can do.
  • See some young players from the academy get a chance, rather than shoehorning random players into positions they don't play in.
  • Some sign of direction for the club.

Infra-red

Dare I say it... a ready made excuse for the players? I’m not having any of it, we should be going out there to win every game, of course it won’t happen, but that should be our mentality
The players don't read the caf or care what any of us think regarding expectations for the remainder of the season. We can be as ambitious or pessimistic as we like without it having the slightest impact.

The players themselves will be motivated to prove that their shite performances thus far were indeed the fault of the manager. They no longer have Mourinho to hide behind - there are now reputations on the line, a new manager to impress, and perhaps in a few cases (Pogba/Martial) summer moves to secure. They will be plenty motivated.

AaronRedDevil

This season is really not over. But getting to the top 4 is not gonna happen. United are 11 points behind. 8 was hard enough

Eric's Seagull

We have a winnable run of games on the next 5/6. Lets talk about top 4 after that
Nice positive attitude. Good line of thinking. Next 8 games are Cardiff, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Tottenham, Brighton, Burnley, Leicester and Fulham. It may be a herculean task considering the season we've had but we could take 21 points from these fixtures, highly unlikely but doable. Then see where we are mate?

Smores

Yeah i don't get it, i guess it's not wanting to bring the mood down or put any expectation on Ole but it's a ridiculous position to take considering all the arguments that have come before it.

This is a top 3 squad thats been pretty much universally agreed or is that only applicable under a top manager. Arsenal are shite it's only Chelsea that are the competition and it would only take us playing to the correct standard to catch them up.

freeurmind

weak willed
If we get 4th or at least come close and go on a cup run I'd be over the moon. Turn over PSG and I'll be dancing. Really want to see us take it to City and Liverpool when we play them at OT. Looking forward to seeing Rashford for the rest of the season, he looks well up for it. Also hopefully the likes of Greenwood, Garner and Chong can make their first steps in the Premier League. Plenty to look forward to. I'm sure if we have a couple of defeats some people will be on here writing about how they won't want to watch us anymore but I'm looking forward to seeing how Ole gets on and whether the team is lifted for the rest of the campaign.

vivaronaldo

because it is .......all about stabilising the place , keeping the players we want , and getting rid of the ones that we don't

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
League season is over for Man. United.

You need 6/7 winning streak just to get properly in mix for top 4.

Who knows in the cups though....Chelsea were in similar flux after sacking AVB in 2012. Di Matteo won them the FA cup and CL.

Red_Legion

Because I don't care about the results anymore, I just want to see a positive change from the way things have been going for us for some time now. It not me trying to be defeatist but just that I think there are more important issues we need to address first before we talk about anything else.

Also, I guess I am not that confident of these players actually managing to amount to much because the rot must have set in after so many years now.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
League season is over for Man. United.

You need 6/7 winning streak just to get properly in mix for top 4.

Who knows in the cups though....Chelsea were in similar flux after sacking AVB in 2012. Di Matteo won them the FA cup and CL.
Needs to be more like 8/9 winning streak to catch up. Basically 12 points behind, so that requires one of Chelsea/Tottenham to lose at least 4 games and Arsenal to self destruct as well.

If all the clubs continued their current form up (using current points per game as a guide).

Tottenham - 87 points
Chelsea - 83 points
Arsenal - 76 points
United - 58 points

So lets assume that Tottenham/Chelsea/Arsenal start to drop more points in the 2nd half of the season, we could guess therefore that the 4th place club might finish on low/mid 70's.

To get to 72 points we'd need roughly 13/14 wins from the remaining 21 games. That's our best case scenario as I imagine that 4th place will probably finish on roughly 75 points. This means that we can afford to lose roughly 4 games maximum from now till the end of the season. Winning 13-15 games and drawing a few. That would require a massive change in form and also require us to start taking points off our rivals. It's not impossible, but highly, highly unlikely.

It would mean Ole's win rate would need to be around 72%. That would be heroic.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We beat Juve away a few weeks ago, drew with Arsenal in a thrilling game... and that was with Mourinho's drab football...

A new manager should be expected to do better than a manager who's just been fired, surely...?
Wolves drew against City earlier in the season. Upsets happen in football. I'm not sure what the point is. Are you championing those results?

Oh yes we will do better than Mourinho did in the league this season. That doesn't change what people are saying though. We can improve but still it not lead to anything tangible. And that's alright

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
People that are optimistic about top 4, could you please explain how you see that coming about?

We're currently 11 points behind 4th. That is a swing of at least 4 games.

Say we go on an excellent run of 16 wins from 20 with 2 draws. We have dropped 10 points, adding an extra 4 games our top 4 rivals would have to lose.

So you are effectively hoping for Arsenal to lose 8 of 20 games whilst us going almost unbeaten barring 2 losses. All whilst bringing in a manager hugely inexperienced at this level and having to turn the mood of the club around.

Let's aim for the cups, but being realistic top 4 is long gone.

Red00012

Won’t get top 4 and hopefully wont finish in Europa League place. I’ll take a domestic treble next season then.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I keep reading this in pretty much every thread discussing United and our choices this season it's annoying me -

There are 21 games left out of 38 in the PL

We're in the last 16 of the Champion's League

We're in the 3rd Round of the F.A Cup with a home game against Reading

This narrative that the 'Season is practically over' is factually incorrect, annoying and also dangerous in lowering expectation.

People are repeating it a lot in regard to our choice of interim boss, and what our expectations should be and to me it seems a fairly obvious mantra to continue lowering standards.

The season isn't 'almost over' - it isn't even halfway through...

We're in 2 prestigious Cup competitions and with our wage bill and season ticket prices we should be aiming to win both.

And regarding the PL - there are 60 points left for us to play for, and we're 11 points from 4th. Bigger gaps than 11 points have been made up in 20 games, many times before.

Agreed. Literally anything can happen going forward and since we almost certainly wont be playing Jose's tumescent, defensive style anymore, I can see us making a big move for top 4.

Eric's Seagull

People that are optimistic about top 4, could you please explain how you see that coming about?

We're currently 11 points behind 4th. That is a swing of at least 4 games.

Say we go on an excellent run of 16 wins from 20 with 2 draws. We have dropped 10 points, adding an extra 4 games our top 4 rivals would have to lose.

So you are effectively hoping for Arsenal to lose 8 of 20 games whilst us going almost unbeaten barring 2 losses. All whilst bringing in a manager hugely inexperienced at this level and having to turn the mood of the club around.

Let's aim for the cups, but being realistic top 4 is long gone.
Now you've done the math we can see it is a very long shot, not quite impossible but highly unrealistic.

Our best bet is to aim for Europa League and give it out best shot in the cups mate.

Rolaholic

Because most of the posters on this forum are extremely negative and love a moan.
The manager was rubbing off on many it seems, I'd imagine that the negativity will slowly diminish moving forward though as fans get behind the club as we move on towards a new era.

Eric's Seagull

The manager was rubbing off on many it seems, I'd imagine that the negativity will slowly diminish moving forward though as fans get behind the club as we move on towards a new era.
When Old takes his charge of his first game and we hopefully go on a decent run. I think fans will start getting a bit more positive again. A few good results and the optimism will be back :devil::)

stepic

As others have said, it would take an incredible run and an incredible collapse by rivals. And those rivals have better squads. You can replace the manager but there are still severe weaknesses in the squad. We’re not getting top 4. We sure as hell aren’t winning the CL. FA cup you never know, but it’s the least important of the 3.

So yes the season is over. But that’s ok - we’re now in a position to set ourselves up for next season. New DoF. New manager. A summer of new recruitment. That’s something to look forward to, finally.

Beaucoup

The season is pretty much over, the club are pretty much admitting it themselves with their latest managerial appointment. I very much doubt expectations are high within the walls of Old Trafford.

moodyred

Am I confident that solskjaer will do better than Mourinho in terms of results? NO.

Do I think solskjaer will at least place more attacking soccer and make fans happy regardless of lack of improvement in results? YES.

Is the season over? YES.

I am being realistic here. I am happy for a change as i think we have stagnated. I do not think Solskjaer is the solution. Solskjaer win percentage is 16.7 at cardiff. Mike Phelan is 15 at Hull. Not promising. Hope I am wrong though.

Last edited:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We're still in two cup competitions and have a load of league matches left, the season isn't over.
Top four isn't likely, but just giving it up would be stupid.
If the manager and players are going to relax and act as though the season doesn't matter, I'd be worried about us finishing around the bottom of the table.

Eric's Seagull

As others have said, it would take an incredible run and an incredible collapse by rivals. And those rivals have better squads. You can replace the manager but there are still severe weaknesses in the squad. We’re not getting top 4. We sure as hell aren’t winning the CL. FA cup you never know, but it’s the least important of the 3.

So yes the season is over. But that’s ok - we’re now in a position to set ourselves up for next season. New DoF. New manager. A summer of new recruitment. That’s something to look forward to, finally.
Nice to have something to look forward too adter all the doòm and gloom surrounding us lately.

cyril C

It's more to do with priorities. Given our level of football this season the two main trophies are out of reach and top 4 isn't that gettable. The other two trophies arent all that relevant albiet nice to win, and at this stage things like cohesion, entertaining football and setting things up for next season take precedence over what we can achieve this season - which is very little of true note.
Ask Di Matteo.

steffyr2

Am I confident that solskjaer will do better than Mourinho in terms of results? NO.
Do I think solskjaer will at least place more attacking soccer and make fans happy regardless of lack of improvement in results? YES.
Honestly, do you really thing people will be happy with no improvement?

Is the season over? YES.

I am being realistic here. I am happy for a change as i think we have stagnated. I do not think Solskjaer is the solution. Solskjaer win percentage is 16.7 at cardiff. Mike Phelan is 15 at Hull. Not promising. Hope I am wrong though.

RAVred

That's crazy, I hope the club has higher standards - no offense meant to you with that, but to bring in a new manager and accept worse results than a manager just fired, because the new guy 'more likable' is insane.
Realistically, other than morale, a new face, attitude, new man management style. Do you actually think a Norwegian League manager will turn us into world beaters tactically?

Its not far fetched to think we can fare worse with him, though I dont think we will because those aspects I listed are very under rated in management regardless of the field of work.

I think its ridiculous though that people would want him to stay as the head man even if we won the Champions League... He isnt experienced or proven enough, if he turns out that good put him on the reserves or demote McKenna to there and put him as 2nd in charge. However, its pretty clear the club nor Ole have any intention of that, judging by that we are 'being lent' him, which is one of the smartest decisions the boards made in a long time