Why hasn't anyone used this tactic yet?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Or get the 7ft defender to hold the smallest teammate upside down and use him as a golf club.
Or, get like, Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Valencia to pick up someone like Shaw or Mata, and sort of use him like a battering ram to hit it backwards.

This is flawless.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
And here it is:
"If, however, in the opinion of the referee, a player uses a deliberate trick in order to circumvent the amendment to Law 12, the player will be guilty of unsporting behavior and will be punished accordingly in terms of Law 12; that is to say, the player will be cautioned and an indirect free-kick will be awarded to the opposing team from the place where the player committed the offense. Examples of such tricks would include: a player who deliberately flicks the ball with his feet up onto his head in order to head the ball to his goalkeeper; or, a player who kneels down and deliberately pushes the ball to the goalkeeper with his knee, etc. In such circumstances, it is irrelevant whether the goalkeeper subsequently touches the ball with his hands or not. The offense is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the text and the spirit of Law 12, and the referee must only be convinced that this was the player’s motive."

https://footballsci.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/fifa-laws-of-the-game-12-the-back-pass-rule/

Since the back pass rule was introduced to stop time wasting, the referee would (and should) immediately stop something like this. The heading strategy would clearly fall under "tricks". Yellow card (defender, gk or both) + indirect freekick to the other team.

Last edited:

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
When I was a kid I always wondered why players didn't hold their shirt out with their hands to cradle the ball, and run. :lol:

devil in me

Just get an opposition player to stand in front of the keeper then it wouldn't work. This is ridiculous.

Tarrou

Because it isn't unsporting behaviour, it's just an incredibly boring, and probably ineffective way to try and see out a match. The ref doesn't book players for taking it to the corner and trying to hold it up, and he doesn't book players for knocking it around at the back. Refs can't go around handing out yellow cards just because the football they're officiating has no entertainment value.
It's a significant step further than taking it to the corner, which at least gives your opponent a fair chance of regaining posession. And why that specifically isn't seen as unsporting. There is no way you could get the ball back in this scenario.

predator

Youth NITK
I have actualled devised this tactic before but I also realised it has many flaws. The defender may be hogged. A player from the opposite team could just commit a foul for a free kick at another part of the field etc

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
And here it is:
"If, however, in the opinion of the referee, a player uses a deliberate trick in order to circumvent the amendment to Law 12, the player will be guilty of unsporting behavior and will be punished accordingly in terms of Law 12; that is to say, the player will be cautioned and an indirect free-kick will be awarded to the opposing team from the place where the player committed the offense. Examples of such tricks would include: a player who deliberately flicks the ball with his feet up onto his head in order to head the ball to his goalkeeper; or, a player who kneels down and deliberately pushes the ball to the goalkeeper with his knee, etc. In such circumstances, it is irrelevant whether the goalkeeper subsequently touches the ball with his hands or not. The offense is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the text and the spirit of Law 12, and the referee must only be convinced that this was the player’s motive."

https://footballsci.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/fifa-laws-of-the-game-12-the-back-pass-rule/

Since the back pass rule was introduced to stop time wasting so the referee would (and should) immediately stop something like this. The heading strategy would clearly fall under "tricks". Yellow card (defender, gk or both) + indirect freekick to the other team.
It's a significant step further than taking it to the corner, which at least gives your opponent a fair chance of regaining posession. And why that specifically isn't seen as unsporting. There is no way you could get the ball back in this scenario.
If that site is correct, you were right anyway.

As you were.

m1y2

I guess nobody used this as it is highly risky and if you're defending the lead you want to have the ball as far away from your GK as possible.

However you can use this as 1-2 with the defender sprinting forward to receive the ball from the throw to the space. It's commonly used in beach soccer. I guess for "soccer" it's still too risky.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Its impossible to mess it up, if you train it.

You can even sign a REALLY TALL defender and GK, like 7 feet tall. Its impossible to impede them from doing it. As soon as you are up 1-0, you substitute them in.
You really cannot believe it'll be impossible to mess it up because among the things human can guarantee you to do, it's mistakes.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Probably less likely to fail if you have your wingers/strikers literally take it in turns to leg it to the 'keeper and head it back to him. At least they'd have a straight race, allowing them to lose their man.

Even that is guaranteed to fail at some point, with either an over-powered/under-powered header or over/under throw.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Pretty sure there'd be a rule for it, similar to how a defender can't get on his knees to head a ball that was on the floor back to the keeper for him to pick it up.

Also, you'd be a dick.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Is this seriously what Redcafe.net has come to?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
And how long do you propose they play this ridiculous game?

Each round will only take a few seconds, I reckon they'd have to do it 6-10 times to waste a minute. so say there are 10 minutes left, so that's 60 to 100 times. Seriously?

It would be a travesty for the game, certainly unsporting, and the crowd would probably start a riot. Do you think in all those times they wouldn't make one mistake and let the opposition in?

Either your on a Baz or TBP style WUM or you're 8 years old.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Bringing the game into disrepute.

It can be used for basically anything.

No, there is no “Law” on this, but there is an old International Board Decision from the International Football Association Board, the people who make and change the Laws. It declares that using a teammate’s shoulders to boost one’s height in order to make a play for the ball was misconduct. It was originally IBD #4 under Law 12 but became IBD #2 in 1995. So, yes, there is at least an interpretation of the Law that remains valid guidance for such situations. In addition, there is tradition, which holds that other than when they are jumping into the air to play the ball, players are expected to remain earthbound, not stacked high like cheerleaders, circus acrobats, synchronized swimmers, or cans of soda. They may kneel (although not when taking throw-ins) or jump into the air, but definitely may not build a pyramid. Doing so would constitute the cautionable act of unsporting behavior and bringing the game into disrepute.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
And how long do you propose they play this ridiculous game?

Each round will only take a few seconds, I reckon they'd have to do it 6-10 times to waste a minute. so say there are 10 minutes left, so that's 60 to 100 times. Seriously?

It would be a travesty for the game, certainly unsporting, and the crowd would probably start a riot. Do you think in all those times they wouldn't make one mistake and let the opposition in?

Either your on a Baz or TBP style WUM or you're 8 years old.
:lol: seriously when you think it's incredibly stupid.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I've had an even better idea, how about this:

Head back to the goalkeeper, who picks up the ball and walks around his area for 6 seconds. Puts the ball down and rolls it with his foot. Picks the ball up again and walks around his area for another 6 seconds, ball down, foot roll, pick up, 6 second walk.

If the keeper is challenged, it's an automatic free kick. The keeper kicks the ball 2 inches, picks up, walks for 6 seconds, ball down, rolls it, etc you get the idea.

It's brilliant and very low risk!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I've had an even better idea, how about this:

Head back to the goalkeeper, who picks up the ball and walks around his area for 6 seconds. Puts the ball down and rolls it with his foot. Picks the ball up again and walks around his area for another 6 seconds, ball down, foot roll, pick up, 6 second walk.

If the keeper is challenged, it's an automatic free kick. The keeper kicks the ball 2 inches, picks up, walks for 6 seconds, ball down, rolls it, etc you get the idea.

It's brilliant and very low risk!
Once the keeper puts the ball down he can't pick it up again.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
What happened to the six second rule? Is it still technically there? I haven't seen it applied in years.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I'd have a defender stand literally an inch away and just bounce it off his head. No need for an aerial challenge.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Its impossible to mess it up, if you train it.

You can even sign a REALLY TALL defender and GK, like 7 feet tall. Its impossible to impede them from doing it. As soon as you are up 1-0, you substitute them in.
:lol: Genius.

diarm

I've just spend ten minutes picturing us doing this in my head.

It's still the best I've seen us play all season.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
This thread reminds me of an instance (between 06-08 I think) when Giggs took a throw in and bounced the ball off an United player's back, right in front of him, to gain easy possession. Remember thinking it was a pretty smart move back then.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
NM has. Spirit of the game. Ref has the right to call it. He would eventually give the opposing team an indirect free kick.
Yeap. I also vaguely recall reading somewhere that stooping to head a ball that is on the ground back to the keeper can also be called for unsportsman like conduct.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
We should play with three goalies. So De Gea in the middle, who can use his hands, Valdez and Lindegaard either side of him who can only dive with their face or feet, but they won't have to cover as much distance so that's okay. This allows us to skim on defence and play with 5 up front. 3 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 2

Valdez - De Gea - Lindegaard
Smalling - Rojo
Carrick
Di Maria - Blind/Herrera/Frollaini - Young
Van Persie - Rooney​

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why not just sign a morbidly obese goalkeeper to cover the goal?

Parry Gallister

I never understood why teams couldn't just boot the ball up the field to give the other team a throw-on near their own goal, try and knick it there and score. Saves bothering with all that football stuff.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Suppose your team is winning. Tell your goalkeeper to just throw the ball at your defenders head and grab it back. Its not illegal because the defender is using his head, and there is little risk because the defender will be really close to the GK. And you can do it to multiple defenders, if one is marked.

Seriously, tell me how this wouldn't work?
I expect everyone has pointed out the many flaws to this

One it's stupid. You don't mess around knocking the ball around in your own area like that.

Opponents aren't going to just watch you do this for 20mins. They'll all get in really close, and either beat your tall defender, as no one is unbeatable in the air, or simply foul the player so the ball has to restart with a free kick.
Also, even if your man wins every header, under pressure he won't perfectly place it in your keeper's hands.

It's get like the times people try and hold the ball in the corners. It never lasts for more than 10seconds for similar reasons to above.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I never understood why teams couldn't just boot the ball up the field to give the other team a throw-on near their own goal, try and knick it there and score. Saves bothering with all that football stuff.
Loads of teams play percentage football, which while not quite as you word it, revolves around punting long balls into dangerous areas, on the chance that it'll either drop handily for another player, that they'll win the second ball, or that they'll win a free kick.