Why is Richard Arnold getting a free pass from the fans?

croadyman

I think a lot of people were sceptical of Arnold at first as he had been at the club for whole time though out the billion wasted and complete shambles of a structure.

Then that leaked footage came out, and a lot of us went ow ok this guy has his head screwed on.

Now though I think fans will turn on him again if he doesn’t take action and get rid of Murtough and get a proper recruitment and support team around Ten Hag.
Unfortunately those above will put their foot down even if he wants to recruit one

Castia

Didn’t he say something along the lines of ‘this summer we can back the manager but im not sure about next year’ during his meeting with the fans?

Feck all left in cash reserves at the club.

Ted Lasso

Gave him the benefit of the doubt in the early part of the window when he was out having beers with protestors. Patience has just about worn thin here as there's a strong sense he's cut from much the same cloth as Woodward

downunder red

Look at the state of him. Does this look like someone who has been working tirelessly day and night? Seems like someone who has done nothing but sunbathe and eat everything he can get his hands on ever since he got the job.
He seemed to handle the Barselona heat better than the London heat. Or is it the heat of getting abuse for helping run United into the club we are today?

arthurka

Lost for words, how bad does this need to get. I am working on getting my divorce from this club. I like the club a lot but the head of the family is a massive cnut.

wolvored

Didn’t he say something along the lines of ‘this summer we can back the manager but im not sure about next year’ during his meeting with the fans?

Feck all left in cash reserves at the club.
If thats true then the glazers will be looking to sell in the next 12 months. If the best we can do is play for lower placings season on season, they will bail out as the commercial side will collapse and the infrastructure wont last.

justsomebloke

I think a lot of people were sceptical of Arnold at first as he had been at the club for whole time though out the billion wasted and complete shambles of a structure.

Then that leaked footage came out, and a lot of us went ow ok this guy has his head screwed on.

Now though I think fans will turn on him again if he doesn’t take action and get rid of Murtough and get a proper recruitment and support team around Ten Hag.
For my part I found what he said about backing the manager deeply worrying. Because it heavily implied he thought that was really all anyone could possibly hope for from the club, and that the big plan consisted in letting ETH get on with it.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
For my part I found what he said about backing the manager deeply worrying. Because it heavily implied he thought that was really all anyone could possibly hope for from the club, and that the big plan consisted in letting ETH get on with it.
thats a very fair comment, I was more thinking he seemed to have his head screwed on with regards to recruitment understanding we couldn’t keep spending like we had as we had wasted so much money and seemed to know that recruitment wasn’t his knowledge base so he needed to have people in place to ensure it is done properly.

Obviously he assumed Murtough and Ten Hag were those people. But clearly Murtough has no idea what he is doing and Ten Hag while obviously a great coach doesn’t mean he is great at recruitment, which is very much proving to be the case.

The problem with Arnold seems to be he doesn’t know who the right people are. I suppose that at least a step up from Woodward who just wanted to keep the power for himself. But still doesn’t help us very much.

So we are back to where we have been since Fergie left until the the structure at the club Is addressed and we have people in place who know what there doing when it comes to running the football side of the business we are just going to keep on sinking down the league and wasting money.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
@Samid is 100% right. How much change can you expect from someone who’s been a part of the mess since 2013, and was appointed by his outgoing mate? This club is taking the piss out of us fans and hold us in contempt. It’s rotten at the core. Glazers need to go and this fat tanned cnut needs to go with them.

RC89

Richard Arnold isn't a new guy. He has been at the club since 2008 and been group managing director since 2013 where we would’ve been working closely with Woodward.

If you want to clear up 8 years of damage you don’t promote a bloke to CEO who is mates with the guy largely responsible for those 8 years of damage.
Even if you do excuse the past 8 years, he has overseen a shambles of a transfer window thus far.

Blood Mage

Priceless that anyone thought he was going to bring about change. He's Woody's mate from uni and even less qualified to be our CEO than he was.

sugar_kane

Whether it's a cynical attempt to detract from the protests or just a way of building hype, presenting Casemiro before the game tonight is a sign that this club from a PR perspective still don't know what they're doing. Is their memory that short that they can't remember how quickly it all went to shit after the Varane presentation, and how underwhelming Varane has been as a signing in general making his big presentation look fairly daft?

Things have already gone to shit this season, I don't think we should be presenting this (admittedly high quality) panic buy in the way we are, especially in the context of all the protests and our generally chaotic transfer window as well. It just looks stupid and out of touch, and invites unnecessary pressure on the player.

A smart club would go about their business quietly. This just comes across as more Woodward-style bullshit, Disneyland razzmatazz which suggests we haven't really moved on at all.

PoTMS

Judge, Woodward, Arnold, Murtough. These lot are all puppets for the regime. No point in getting upset because we missed out on a player - nothing has changed upstairs and nothing will change until the leaches sell the club.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Hm, but I keep being told Murtough and Arnold have done nothing wrong.

I cannot wait for these clowns to be fecked off.

cyberman

People must be annoyed that we were linked with Gakpo all the time but Liverpool came in and sealed the deal in no time.
To be fair we turned him down 4 months ago. That seems to have been lost on some posters since the news broke.

Amir

To be fair we turned him down 4 months ago. That seems to have been lost on some posters since the news broke.
Yeah, we kept him as an option if we don't get Antony. We did. That was that for the summer. Right now, we have more urgent needs.

Tarrou

I doubt there is much to spend what with a take-over coming up and how much we increased the debt last summer

also, Gakpo's position is our most stacked position

Rightnr

Yeah, we kept him as an option if we don't get Antony. We did. That was that for the summer. Right now, we have more urgent needs.
Our manager wanted both of them but you keep living in your alternative reality and making things up to support your nonsense.

Amir

Our manager wanted both of them but you keep living in your alternative reality and making things up to support your nonsense.
We did, but didn't have the money for both (especially as Antony's fee skyrocketed), so it was one or the other.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
"Our manager wanted him"

The above line has been trotted out on this forum for almost a decade and is one of the reasons we've fallen as a football club.

And I'm not sure Erik ten Hag wants him now that Garnacho is showing potential on the left flank. We've got 3 or 4 players who could occupy the role on the left. And we've got Bruno to occupy the second striker/#10 role. Gakpo was the dumb money for us.

Rightnr

"Our manager wanted him"

The above line has been trotted out on this forum for almost a decade and is one of the reasons we've fallen as a football club.

And I'm not sure Erik ten Hag wants him now that Garnacho is showing potential on the left flank. We've got 3 or 4 players who could occupy the role on the left. And we've got Bruno to occupy the second striker/#10 role. Gakpo was the dumb money for us.
Murtough defence force to the rescue, as predicted.

Almost a deja vu of the Haaland situation where people were rationalising how shit he was, etc. and how it wasn't s big deal we missed out

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
"Our manager wanted him"

Well said, Adnan, as always. I don't see how we prioritize Gakpo's position over other pressing concerns. There may be a lot to criticize the club for, but not sure missing out on Gakpo (which seems deliberate) is one of them.

Rightnr

Was Haaland ever going to join us, or did we just not make the effort to see?
I could do a longer post with parallels but I'd just get depressed.

As a quick summary, Ole was smirking when he was asked questions about him and his whole persona indicated we were real close. Coupled with the fact OGS coached the guy and knew him from Norwegian football, so yes it looked very much on. Of course, after we missed out the release clause propaganda came out but we all know we could have figured out something like €100m on him and still made a decent profit if he decided to leave.

As for Gakpo, EtH also seemed to be indicating he wants him and that we'll get him. This coupled with the fact they literally have the same damn agent and the fact Gakpo was keen on joining us over the summer when we just refused to pay because Avie the Rat had to get his dividends.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Murtough defence force to the rescue, as predicted.

Almost a deja vu of the Haaland situation where people were rationalising how shit he was, etc. and how it wasn't s big deal we missed out
I don't need to defend Murtough to you, because if you had a basic understanding of football or how a DoF structure worked, you wouldn't come out with half the nonsense that you come out with on this forum.

And I'm not sure who you're referring to when it comes to Haaland. Because I was speaking about his talent when he was 17, on this forum.

And Haaland not being signed by Woodward due to a reported release clause he and his team wanted inserted in a potential contract, is very different to signing Gakpo who is a left sided player, when we already have several players occupying that role.