Why so many knee-jerk reactions and negativity one game in?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Why is there is so much negativity and pessimism on the forum after 1 game under ETH's tenure? :wenger:

Like it's almost as if you'd think we're in a relegation battle, even after finishing 2nd 2 years ago, and yes I've heard all the excuses as to why we finished 2nd and why it was nothing to do with Ole or the players and in fact more to do with the teams around us.

I mean we deserve some credit, we can't make up excuses for every single positive thing that United do. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of talk and dislike towards the new manager. Now more than ever it seems as I'm perplexed as to why? Why now of all times, why right this moment?

He was lauded as the saviour of Man Utd 8 weeks ago and now he's a fraud.

We're not in free fall by any means and yet the feeling around the fans on here anyway is that we're in some sort of disaster mode.

The season has just literally just begun and I'll say it again, people are getting really upset to the point where from the outside looking in, looking at people's reactions, it seems as though we're flirting with the bottom 3.

EDIT -

There was a rick-roll video here, as kind of a nod to the previous thread. As this thread is a literal copy and paste from my original thread last year, with some tweaks to bring it up to date. Wanted to have some fun but got a telling off from the mods for posting a Rick Roll video :( So this thread isn't even me being serious.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Anyone who can't see that this mess is going to take time to clean up, is going to be prone to a-lot of gloom and negativity.

Last edited:

rpitchfo

Because we aren’t “1 game in”. The problems in the squad are endemic. When those same problems aren’t dealt with and you hoped a new manager would draw a line under some of them…and doesn’t. There’s bound to be disappointment.

Someone

Something
It's simple, we expected change and got more of the same.

I have confidence in ETH, but not the players, and unfortunately we're stuck with most of them. ETH will try to polish as many turds as possible, but they'll let him down. I'd rather play the kids.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me if I’m honest - I’m not sure about the players Ten Hag is targeting this window.

So when the football isn’t great I kind of get scared.

Greck

Depends on what negativity you're taking of. Negativity to the manager is unwarranted, negativity to the squad isn't. It's not simply one game with them. Was a continuation of well established issues in certain Individuals. That Mcfred thread popping up 24 hours before they would go out an embarrass themselves was so typical. They couldnt even stop from wasting their clean slate.

Bocca9978

Think OP should watch the game again. This is going to be a long season.

FatTails

I was positive till I saw this thread :nervous: Hope it doesn’t go the way of your same thread from last year, @UnitedSofa

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I was positive till I saw this thread :nervous: Hope it doesn’t go the way of your same thread from last year, @UnitedSofa
It's a piss take.......it's a literal copy and paste from the previous thread. I'm taking the piss.

Hence the Rick Roll in the spoiler.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think it's more of a frustration. People would happily accept loses if there was any improvement . It's again knee jerk and should be patient. It's going to be a rough ride and we don't have options but to support him.

Let's wait and see. It's going to get worse before it can get better. The next 5 matches aren't getting us any points.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We'll get there eventually and im sure ten Hag will be a great coach for us. The board are useless though, talk of Arnautović as reinforcement is laughable.

It'll take a while for the team to adapt and him to adapt to the league though. That's for sure. But we'll get there.

AndySmith1990

Dunno. Might have something to do with it feeling like the same shit, different season

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Context matters, which is something blind optimists like you fail to get

We had our worst ever PL finish last season, where we finished 11 points off Arsenal and 13 off Spurs. Both these clubs have strengthened significantly while we have gotten weaker from what was an already shit squad. EtH has a lot of fresh ideas but he is not a miracle worker. You can't polish a turd, which is why there's immense frustration from the fanbase when it comes to our business this summer. Some of us can already see where this season is headed without reinforcements, but if it'll take half a season for you to come around, then it's your problem

I’m loving my life

I think most sensible people think ETH is a good hire who needs time to craft a good team.

The (justified) concern is regarding the running of the club, the fact that nothing has changed and that ETH has been left high and dry because of ownership incompetence, resulting in the performance we all watched today.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For me it's the lack of issues fixed in the transfer window.

If we had the parts in place to keep improving from here, no issue. But we don't. So there's no prospect of us improving enough as is.

Kag

I don’t see a great deal of knee-jerking. Lots of the comments directed towards the players are completely justified and fully evidence-based.

People are negative because we’re shite. When we’re not shite (and this can only be rectified through spending some money on better players) then people will be less negative. Mad, huh?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How much can a manager do? He’s playing with the same fundamental squad that hobbled to 6th last season.

ThanksBoss26

I think most sensible people think ETH is a good hire who needs time to craft a good team.

The (justified) concern is regarding the running of the club, the fact that nothing has changed and that ETH has been left high and dry because of ownership incompetence, resulting in the performance we all watched today.
Correct

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Why is there is so much negativity and pessimism on the forum after 1 game under ETH's tenure? :wenger:

Like it's almost as if you'd think we're in a relegation battle, even after finishing 2nd 2 years ago, and yes I've heard all the excuses as to why we finished 2nd and why it was nothing to do with Ole or the players and in fact more to do with the teams around us.

I mean we deserve some credit, we can't make up excuses for every single positive thing that United do. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of talk and dislike towards the new manager. Now more than ever it seems as I'm perplexed as to why? Why now of all times, why right this moment?

We're not in free fall by any means and yet the feeling around the fans on here anyway is that we're in some sort of disaster mode.

The season has just literally just begun and I'll say it again, people are getting really upset to the point where from the outside looking in, looking at people's reactions, it seems as though we're flirting with the bottom 3.

EDIT -

There was a rick-roll video here, as kind of a nod to the previous thread. As this thread is a literal copy and paste from my original thread last year, with some tweaks. Wanted to have some fun but got a telling off from the mods for posting a Rick Roll video :(

1 game in? Where have you been? Writing has been on the wall for ages, and it's only been the deluded optimimists that haven't been able to see it coming.

Last season was our worst ever. We've had a dreadful transfer window. We've looked decidedly average in pre season.

Ten Hag hasn't been given a chance to succeed.

sancho1983

Really tough one. Could be because we're no better off under a top manager and our owners have hung him out to dry...

largelyworried

In all seriousness though, the main difference between this thread and the notorious original is that under Ole we were supposed to be the finished article and expected to challenge for the title - as laughable as that seems now - where as with ETH we're at rock bottom and climbing out. A couple of bad performances made it clear pretty quick we weren't going to win the league with Ole, but the same doesn't mean we're not on the road to recovery under ETH.

Godfather

Is the correct answer

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's not about Ten Hag but it's not knee jerk. It's the same problems with the squad that we've known about for years and we've let another summer slip by without addressing them for the start of the season (RB, RW, DM, GK) with an inevitable result.

We're sleepwalking into another season as bad as last, possibly worse.

NinjaFletch

We've been absolute shite for nigh on a decade, we've been somehow even shitter than that for nearly a year and still there's absolute fecking spanners on redcafe accusing people of being kneejerk when all of the dross we've accumulated in the past few years precede to produce absolute dross once again.

Unless we completely rehaul the squad in the next 3 weeks we'll have another season of fecking dross and all of redcafe's goldfish will be calling ten Hag a fraud and hailing the next super manager who is supposed to get us top four with this bunch of imbeciles.

See you all in 2023 for another rendition of this never ending fecking insanity.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

EDIT -

There was a rick-roll video here, as kind of a nod to the previous thread. As this thread is a literal copy and paste from my original thread last year, with some tweaks to bring it up to date. Wanted to have some fun but got a telling off from the mods for posting a Rick Roll video :( So this thread isn't even me being serious.
Thing is we are not one game in. We are 9 years in.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
We've been absolute shite for nigh on a decade, we've been somehow even shitter than that for nearly a year and still there's absolute fecking spanners on redcafe accusing people of being kneejerk when all of the dross we've accumulated in the past few years precede to produce absolute dross once again.

Unless we completely rehaul the squad in the next 3 weeks we'll have another season of fecking dross and all of redcafe's goldfish will be calling ten Hag a fraud and hailing the next super manager who is supposed to get us top four with this bunch of imbeciles.

See you all in 2023 for another rendition of this never ending fecking insanity.
This.

TheReligion

Abusive
The expectation here is just naive and unrealistic so what ultimately ends up happening is this place becomes a sound off place for everything.

ForeverRed1

I have very much been no panic the whole way through transfer window and pre season. At the end of the day we lost many players that needed to go and we have signed a couple players that ETH wanted. We are obviously trying to get others over the line. Its not like the old days where we were the best team and if we came knocking players jumped at the chance.. there are teams with more money and better structure with winning cultures all around us.

no champions league added to that and it’s no shock we are struggling to get players we want.

starting the season with the same team as last season Barr Eriksen and Martínez is a massive problem though, it shouldn’t be this way but here we are. Our best striker is a player who wants out and performances like today won’t change his mind. Players like Bruno/sancho/rashford who we desperately need to out-perform themselves.. don’t look any better than last season.. actually let’s cut the crap, they just played shite in the season opener at old Trafford as well( not saying they can’t turn it around but it’s not a promising sign)..

something drastic needs to happen.. the club needs to be ruthless and show metal now..but So far it’s pretty much the same as last season, which is a recipe for disaster

Aslong as the glazers own this club… it doesn’t look like much will change. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

Rolaholic

Got to do with the fact we still look miles away from the top after almost a fecking decade.

All while our rivals are going from strength to strength and are investing heavily in the market to improve while we have much more needs than they have and have been quite passive in the market in comparison.

Was always going to be a transitional/rebuilding season but the fact that we haven't gone about our summer business with any sort of urgency, especially after the offseason exodus, is extremely concerning.

If Citeh win the title they'll match our 3 peats and if Liverpool do they'll match our league crowns, it's a special hell for United fans right now....