Kick-off
Mon, 8 January 2024 @ 8:15pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

Why did Utd buy him then? It truly is baffling what goes on behind the scenes at our once great club.
    It really is baffling why we have 3 keepers.
    If it is required for training exercises then bring in the u21 GK
    We get to assess our youth prospect and he benefits from top level coaching.
    I would imagine that Heaton is being well paid but I thought he had a chance to go and get playing time at Luton and we blocked it ....feck knows why??

TheReligion

Abusive
    This will be a great away day regardless

United have easily sold the allocation, which was extended by Wigan to 6.5k, and have now been offered hospitality too.

Going to be bouncing!

Donut

There is zero sense in playing Onana here, even if he is available, but you just know ETH will play him if he can.

LDUred

How bad is the Turkish lad if you can't even trust him against a side that is 17th in league one?
    It could well be just that but I also suspect this has something to do with his staggeringly bad man-management.

Like in business, you give employees at the very least a half day off if they are flying, especially a long distance flight. You rarely see someone finishing work at say five and then rushing to the airport to catch a red eye flight, if cover can be arranged.

You have to feel sorry for both keepers here. Bayindir deserves a go and Onana needs to get ready for AFCON.

Last edited:

croadyman

Ridiculous. Don’t get why we even sign number 2s when they never get a chance in games like this.
    Yeah he must be thinking when am I ever actually gonna get an opportunity to impress

Bwuk

I wonder if he’ll start Casemiro & Martinez to give them minutes, then ideally bring them off for Gore & Kambwala?

Bayinder
    Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
    Casemiro - Mainoo
    Amad - Bruno - Garnacho
    Hojlund​

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
    Stevenage
    I wonder if he’ll start Casemiro & Martinez to give them minutes, then ideally bring them off for Gore & Kambwala?

Bayinder
    Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
    Casemiro - Mainoo
    Amad - Bruno - Garnacho
    Hojlund​
    More chance he brings them on incase they look slow and get blamed, he also seems intent on Onana staying so can't see Bayinder starting and I don't see him risking Shaw or Varane either, I don't want it but I'd imagine we will look something like this:

Onana
    AWB Kambwala Evans Dalot
    Mainoo Eriksen
    Rashford Bruno Garnacho
    Hojlund

However I'd like to see your lineup...

lex talionis

The feeling of dread is in the heart of most of us, even if we publicly deny it, but we should be able to eke out a result.

bstb3

Not to poke fun, but is the Form Guide not a little bit redundant in a knockout competition?

Anyway I expect we'll go as full strength as we can, no chances taken.

Marcus

I predict that Bayindir will come on as a sub if all is going swimmingly.

Bertie Wooster

How bad is the Turkish lad if you can't even trust him against a side that is 17th in league one?
    The main point is true: how poor is our understudy that we're worried about even picking him against a league one team?

As regards Wigan being 17th - that's mainly because they started the season with an 8 points deduction due to the previous owners incompetence. On the pitch, they've actually accrued the points to be 10th (without the points deduction).

Ever since their relegation from the PL a decade ago, they've been a top of L1 / lower championship club. And they're probably working their way up back up to that now they've got their financial troubles sorted out (as I said, they would actually be 10th based on points earned on the pitch so far).

I'm probably more nervous about this than I should be. Partly because we're so inconsistent that you know a really inept performance is always a likely possibility. But, mainly, because I have close family ties who are fans of Wigan and of all lower league clubs, this is the one that would be the worst to lose to for me. I never once taunted them about our many wins over them - while they absolutely loved rubbing it in about beating us in 2012 and playing a part in us losing the title to City. I dread to think how loud and long they'd crow about an upset win in the FA Cup!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
    I must have missed something, how do we know Bayindir or Heaton isn't starting?

Bertie Wooster

I must have missed something, how do we know Bayindir or Heaton isn't starting?
    I guess we don't, 100%.

But ETH confirmed that we've been in negotiations with Cameroon to delay his arrival at the African Nations, and while the Spurs match remains unclear he will now be available for the Wigan game. It would seem very weird if we've asked for him to delay his departure and then have him sat on the bench as 1st or 2nd choice sub keeper for the cup game.

So I guess people are just assuming he'll be starting the game(s) before his delayed departure.

SoCross

Are Hannibal and Diallo unavailable as well?

If they are available, would love to see them start.

Bertie Wooster

Are Hannibal and Diallo unavailable as well?

If they are available, would love to see them start.
    I don't think either are in the Ivory Coast or Tunisia squad for the African Nations, if you mean unavailable due to that? I think it's just Onana and Amrabat who got called up.

As Amad has returned to the matchday squad recently then I imagine both are available for the game. I'm not too sure how 'weak' I want us to go from the start, personally. This is our only chance of silverware this season, and we have free space now we're out of the other two cups so should be giving this a real go. I'd like some of the youngsters to get some game time, but I don't want us to go too experimental from the start and really let Wigan gain in belief and us get nervous and panicky.

Give a few of the more experienced youngsters starts - like Mainoo, Garnacho, maybe Amad - and hope that we can introduce players like Gore, Hannibal, Kambwala later if we've given ourselves that opportunity depending on the scoreline.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Hopefully Amad starts this one and tears it up. It could be the start of a consecutive run of games for him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
    I guess we don't, 100%.

But ETH confirmed that we've been in negotiations with Cameroon to delay his arrival at the African Nations, and while the Spurs match remains unclear he will now be available for the Wigan game. It would seem very weird if we've asked for him to delay his departure and then have him sat on the bench as 1st or 2nd choice sub keeper for the cup game.

So I guess people are just assuming he'll be starting the game(s) before his delayed departure.
    Well if he were to stay for the Spurs game then he'd have to be here for the Wigan game wouldn't he... doesn't seem all that strange to me. Also if I were a youngish keeper making their United debut I wouldn't mind having a Champions League winning goalkeeper on the bench giving me support and advice if I needed it.

Hester_manc

........Bayinder........

Dalot.Varane.Kamwala.Shaw
    .........Mainoo.Eriksen.............
    ................Bruno..................
    Antony.........................Garnacho
    ..................Højlund.................

We win 2-1

pascell

I guess we don't, 100%.

Ornstein confirmed the other day that we've negotiated with Cameroon and Onana will play the Spurs game then fly straight out for their game on the 15th.

Highfather_24

-----------------Onana
    AWB--Varane--Kambwala--Dalot
    ---------Casemiro--Mainoo
    --Amad------Bruno----Garnacho
    ----------------Hojlund

Red00012

........Bayinder........

Dalot.Varane.Kamwala.Shaw
    .........Mainoo.Eriksen.............
    ................Bruno..................
    Antony.........................Garnacho
    ..................Højlund.................

We win 2-1
    Why Antony? Amad is just returning from injury and is the ideal game to get him match fitness

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
    I’d like to see a front 3 of Amad, Hojlund and Garnacho. Youth and courage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Kobbie Mainoo image Kobbie Mainoo 70% of 239 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 204 ratings.

Score Predictions