Wilfried Zaha - Sold to Crystal Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckooo1978

Worth posting this again:

Neville believes any new signing will take time to get used to life at the club, and insists the England Under-21 man is experiencing just what some United stalwarts have, earlier in their careers.
He told the Guardian: "Wilf is a diamond. People say: 'Why is he not playing?' But we're seeing the same with Marouane Fellaini and we've seen it with Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra in the past.
"The first six months, forget the games. Just being a Manchester United footballer, the intensity of training, the expectation, it's really hard. It blows you away."
thats fair enough and even if Zaha has been bowled over a little by the move he's only played about 15/20 mins in total for the first team

this after a preseason where he looked very good and he did well against Wigan in the Community Shield

he's deserved more of an opportunity than he's had - with Young and Nani out he should be more involved

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
thats fair enough and even if Zaha has been bowled over a little by the move he's only played about 15/20 mins in total for the first team

this after a preseason where he looked very good and he did well against Wigan in the Community Shield

he's deserved more of an opportunity than he's had - with Young and Nani out he should be more involved
You mean did very shit against Wigan.

buckooo1978

You mean did very shit against Wigan.
no as I remember he played well

from BBC Match report

For the following quarter of an hour Wigan - with Holt left increasingly isolated up front - were left chasing shadows as the impressive Wilfried Zaha, Giggs and Danny Welbeck interchanged at will behind Van Persie.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Erm...

Genius Me!

no as I remember he played well

from BBC Match report

For the following quarter of an hour Wigan - with Holt left increasingly isolated up front - were left chasing shadows as the impressive Wilfried Zaha, Giggs and Danny Welbeck interchanged at will behind Van Persie.
I don't ever remember him beating a man, he kept trying his tricks at every given opportunity and found himself running into brick walls.

From my recollection he had a very poor game. That's not to say I don't like him, but he played poorly.

buckooo1978

its a game of opinions and that match report described him as 'impressive'

regardless of that game I'm of the opinion we haven't handled him right

we haven't been afraid to throw in Januzaj (although Adnan has the character of a player who's been around for years) and Zaha when I watched him for Palace was excellent and had a real eye for goal

who knows - maybe behind the scenes he's struggled badly in training, maybe we are purposefully keeping him for the second half of the season but in a year when we have struggled badly for creativity we should have given him a chance

Genius Me!

But how can he have been impressive when he was playing badly?

Forget the match report, I judge by my own eyes, tell me what you remember of him that was imoressive that day?

Gerald G

Zaha was poor vs Wigan. Aside from pre-season games I haven't been impressed with him if I'm honest. Looks too raw. A loan would be good for him.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
But how can he have been impressive when he was playing badly?

Forget the match report, I judge by my own eyes, tell me what you remember of him that was imoressive that day?

He had two men on him at all stages in the game but he looked completely unfazed and carried the ball well. I thought that was impressive. He wasn't great and obviously is very raw, but that quality is something that Valencia and Young don't offer us.

Genius Me!

He had two men on him at all stages in the game but he looked completely unfazed and carried the ball well. I thought that was impressive. He wasn't great and obviously is very raw, but that quality is something that Valencia and Young don't offer us.
I know he has qualities and is a raw player with talent. But still, he didn't have a good game, Januzaj is often marked out by more than 1 player yet beats them consistently becsuse he has the technique to go with his maturity.

And yes I would like to see Zaha get chances, was just dismissing the notion that he had a good game because he didn't.

Brwned

I know he has qualities and is a raw player with talent. But still, he didn't have a good game, Januzaj is often marked out by more than 1 player yet beats them consistently becsuse he has the technique to go with his maturity.

And yes I would like to see Zaha get chances, was just dismissing the notion that he had a good game because he didn't.
I don't see why you feel the need to dismiss other people's opinions about his performance in that game. You thought he was poor, fair enough. Some people thought he was good. One person at the game thought he was the best player on the pitch. Opinions.

He was the best player on the pitch by a country fecking mile. Aside from the odd bit of clever movement from Giggs or turn from Welbeck, the only person who was offering anything, at all.

Genius Me!

I don't see why you feel the need to dismiss other people's opinions about his performance in that game. You thought he was poor, fair enough. Some people thought he was good. One person at the game thought he was the best player on the pitch. Opinions.

Yep opinions, and mine was that he was poor, i'm just strong in voicing my opinions that's all. I did say in my comments that I"d like to know why he was impressive and why he thought he played well.

Maybe I should have said he was poor 'IMO' and then you wouldn't say that I feel the need to dismiss others opinions. Everyone's entitled to their opinions of course, but for me it takes more than just trying to go past players to be considered for having a good game, my opinion.

Brwned

Yep opinions, and mine was that he was poor, i'm just strong in voicing my opinions that's all. I did say in my comments that I"d like to know why he was impressive and why he thought he played well.

Maybe I should have said he was poor 'IMO' and then you wouldn't say that I feel the need to dismiss others opinions. Everyone's entitled to their opinions of course, but for me it takes more than just trying to go past players to be considered for having a good game, my opinion.
And when I expressed what I thought was impressive, you followed that up with "was just dismissing the notion that he had a good game because he didn't.". It's nothing about saying IMO, you outright dismissed other people's opinions because your opinion was the right one. Sort of defeats the point of participating in a forum for discussion if you're of that mindset.

Genius Me!

And when I expressed what I thought was impressive, you followed that up with "was just dismissing the notion that he had a good game because he didn't.". It's nothing about saying IMO, you outright dismissed other people's opinions because your opinion was the right one. Sort of defeats the point of participating in a forum for discussion if you're of that mindset.
So your opinion is that he had a good game then? Your post implied that you thought he was impressive, not him having a good game.

Being impressive for trying to beat players and having a good game are 2 completely different things.

So regardless of what you found impressive, did you think he had a good game overall?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I can't remember much about the game now to be honest. Are those comments definitely about the same game?

I mean they may well be, but it was a poor game in general. Otherwise I wouldn't have completely forgotten everything that happened in it.

Most recent time I've seen him play was in the reserves and he wasn't doing nearly enough to suggest he should be pushed into the first team. I've seen enough to know he's capable of doing a lot better though so I'm confused by what's going on.

If teams have to double mark someone in the first place that's usually a good sign. Almost no one bothers to with Ashley Young.

scottish_red

Game was calling out for him, dont understand why he doesn't get a cameo appearance at least when absoloutley nothing is happening.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Fine Moyes doesn't feel he is ready to be a part of his regular matchday squad in the league, however Zaha should have been starting the cup fixtures at least.

To have just one start and half an hour of cameo appearances to his name in nearly six months is farcical.

Januzaj aside we are not witnessing much promotion of the youth.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
Why did Fergie knowing he was leaving at the end of the season choose to buy an unproven winger from the Championship for £15 million. This signing probably meant Moyes had to give up at least one of his preferred targets in the summer.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Why did Fergie knowing he was leaving at the end of the season choose to buy an unproven winger from the Championship for £15 million. This signing probably meant Moyes had to give up at least one of his preferred targets in the summer.
Because our pool of wingers looked like they were in need of some rejuvenating and Zaha ws an up and coming talent who fitted the bill?

We could have got the dream team of Baines and Fellaini i suppose, or spent another fortnight in the hunt for Fabregas as we raised the offer in five more £2m increments.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Did SAF decide to retire after Zaha's purchase or before ?

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
Because our pool of wingers looked like they were in need of some rejuvenating and Zaha ws an up and coming talent who fitted the bill?

We could have got the dream team of Baines and Fellaini i suppose, or spent another fortnight in the hunt for Fabregas as we raised the offer in five more £2m increments.
Fergie rightly knew we had a winger problem. But he chose to loan Zaha back immediately after signing him, meaning he was satisfied with the players he had at his disposal. This also meant that even though Zaha was a Fergie signing he would never play under Fergie. In this era of tight pursestrings under the Glazers a 15 million player should play regularly and as such Fergie should have left it to Moyes to decide if he wanted Zaha. It's poor judgement imo to buy a player for a new manager who might have different views about how he wants to set up his team. Yes Moyes + Woodward had a shocking summer transfer window but still the Zaha signing is baffling to me.

Genius Me!

I think we should be grateful that Fergie signed him, considering the inadequacy of the summer dealings.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Given the ineptitude of Valencia, is there any chance Zaha gets a chance? The lack of creativity today cried out for someone that could do something in the final 3rd, surely he should at least get a look in in that case?

Doubt he will be like Adebayor at Spurs, but think given a chance he could improve us in the final 3rd even if marginally.

Ekeke

I think its as simple as Moyes has decided that Adnan is his young winger getting games and theres only one slot up for grabs. He's trusting Valencia and Young as the senior men... Why? I dont know.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I think its as simple as Moyes has decided that Adnan is his young winger getting games and theres only one slot up for grabs. He's trusting Valencia and Young as the senior men... Why? I dont know.
This is most likely the case. Adnan has impressed nearly every time he has gone on the pitch, were Zaha hasn't really look to great in his limited chances (bar preseason). So blood one kid while playing it safe with an experienced head on the other side could be Moyes thinking.

SirFergie

I know people on here have said it many times, including myself, but I find it strange that he was so involved in pre-season and in the Charity Shield and since then has been omitted regularly. Valencia, Nani and Young have shown that they're either woefully out of form or not up to the job on a consistent basis; give the lad a decent chance to show what he can do competitively. For a manager who says he'll give young players a chance to display no leeway as far as Zaha is concerned is past a strange set of affairs.

Ekeke

Was exactly the same for Fabio. Played them both a lot in pre-season then never gave them a kick in real games. Must have already made his mind up on them before even pre-season, "I'll just use these players a lot to get through the pre-season games and then they'll be 8th choice"

Member 39557

Maybe he is a bit of a party boy?

Given those nightclub pics and Pullis' comments specifically mentioning London.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-palace-set-to-miss-out-on-wilfried-zaha-loan

He told talkSPORT: "We've spoken to David Moyes about Zaha and I don't think he's too keen on him coming back to London.
"It's not a problem for us, he's a Manchester United player. We don't think it's a goer, although we were very keen if there was a possibility to take him on."

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Either he's useless or he's not got it mentally but I'm at a complete and utter loss as to how he's not game time in the last two games, although I do think he was coming on prior to Fabio's sending off.

Leg-End

If you can't get a game ahead of Valencia even when Young and Nani are unavailable, something is wrong.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
This is a competition which was mostly used to try out young players during the Sir Alex's reign. I'm seriously at a loss why fringe players don't get a game. He is risking more injuries and burn out to senior players when it's vital to qualify for Europe?

Count Orduck

This is a competition which was mostly used to try out young players during the Sir Alex's reign. I'm seriously at a loss why fringe players don't get a game. He is risking more injuries and burn out to senior players when it's vital to qualify for Europe?
I think he's desperate to win the whole thing, because it gives him a trophy and thus increases his legitimacy, however silly that sounds. I suspect if this were ten years down the line and he'd won plenty, he'd be playing the youngsters.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's just a bit weird, especially since he was going to use him on Sunday, that he didn't feature at all tonight. Valencia looked quite obviously knackered - especially in the second half - and yet nothing.

Ash_G

Either he's useless or he's not got it mentally but I'm at a complete and utter loss as to how he's not game time in the last two games, although I do think he was coming on prior to Fabio's sending off.

What I don't get is that Moyes was working with him through all of pre-season, plenty of time to judge him. By the sounds of it it took one training session with the senior team to see that Januzaj should be involved. I mean unless he went off the rails once het got back to Manchester then I've no idea what's happened. If Moyes didn't think he was ready then why hold on to him. And even if he's been a bit overhwelmed he can't be that bad.

Just think with him and Ando even if they didn't play a lot they should have played more so that we didn't have to keep playing tired/inconsistent players like Clev or just under performing players in Valencia as often as we are.

Gerald G

I think if Evans didn't get injured he would have came on. Cleverley had to come off because he was DREADFUL and we were losing 2-1 so brining on a striker made sense.

Brophs

The One and Only
Wilfred Zaha was in Cardiff on Friday night to seal a loan move as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s squad rebuilding continues to gather pace.
The former Crystal Palace winger is desperate to leave Old Trafford in search of first-team football and is expected to join the Bluebirds shortly on a six-month deal.
Meanwhile, Cardiff captain Craig Bellamy has asked for a contract extension, forcing new boss Solskjaer to take a decision over the veteran forward.
Bellamy’s relationship with the Cardiff hierarchy is said to have been somewhat strained since he rejected the chance to become caretaker manager when Vincent Tan was looking to replace Malky Mackay.
The veteran has only played intermittently in the Premier League this term.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-united-winger-wilfried-zaha-3009468

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
He definitely needs to be playing, these reserve games won't be helping his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.