Wilfried Zaha

redshaw

I doubt it will get ugly. Zaha is a Palace boy, he grew up down the road and joined as a kid.

Palace did push the boat out with wages in his contract extension to 2023 just last year and he's vital for them. Any club will have to pay a high fee.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Arsenal should stop putting the player in a difficult position and bid a reasonable amount. Seems daft for Zaha to cause trouble over a £40m bid.

iHicksy

Arsenal know Palace won't sell for that guys. What they're doing is making an offer far below his market value because they've been in contact with him and know his preference is Arsenal. By all accounts he wants to stay in London and Chelsea can't buy him so his only option for a move up is Arsenal. They want him to go to the club and say look "Arsenal want me, they've made a concrete offer, i'd like it if you could negotiate with them." The final fee, if it goes through and if Arsenal can afford it is likely to be around the 65-70 mil fee spread out over years with bonuses. And, like people say, if Arsenal don't like how much he's going to cost then tough, long gone are the days where bigger clubs and bully the smaller ones in the transfer market because of the amount of revenue the premier league generates, even for mid table teams. The only stumbling block when it comes to the transfer is Arsenal's absolute joke of a transfer "war chest".

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
£40 million :lol: what a pathetically miserly bid. We just paid £50 million for a defender FFS. Zaha will be worth up to double that.
In the same way that Bernardo Silva was worth double what Benjamin Mendy was worth? Clubs don't do the calculations like that.

80m would put him in the top 10 most expensive players of all time. The only players who've went for that amount are world class players in their prime.

This year you have Frenkie de Jong and Pulisic going for c. £60m, and Jovic going for c. £55m. Has Zaha really done enough to be worth more than any of them, given they're all 5+ years younger? Hardly. They've got a good chance of being among the best in the world in their position. Zaha's proven that level's way beyond him.

On the other hand, AWB has a decent chance of being up there too, and similarly has another 5+ years of service to offer. There's nothing insulting about him being worth less than a player that's likely to surpass his career.

Ace of Spades

Both sides are not wrong. For Palace, Zaha is a lot more valuable than what his actual objective value is. They also have some money now, so are not in need of cash. Doubt Palace will sell that easily, think it will need a bit more than this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In the same way that Bernardo Silva was worth double what Benjamin Mendy was worth? Clubs don't do the calculations like that.

80m would put him in the top 10 most expensive players of all time. The only players who've went for that amount are world class players in their prime.

This year you have Frenkie de Jong and Pulisic going for c. £60m, and Jovic going for c. £55m. Has Zaha really done enough to be worth more than any of them, given they're all 5+ years younger? Hardly. They've got a good chance of being among the best in the world in their position. Zaha's proven that level's way beyond him.

On the other hand, AWB has a decent chance of being up there too, and similarly has another 5+ years of service to offer. There's nothing insulting about him being worth less than a player that's likely to surpass his career.
I’ve never been a fan of arguing the toss about transfer fees but surely you have to take into account the fact that Zaha only just signed a new long term contract. That puts the onus on Arsenal to make an offer that CP can’t refuse. Hence coming in with a 40m bid really is kind of laughable.

Plus you seem to have got the age thing back to front. Younger players are typically cheaper, as there’s still a chance they won’t deliver on their potential. A signing with fewer unknowns, at their peak as a footballer, will usually be more expensive.

RedorDead21

I’ve never been a fan of arguing the toss about transfer fees but surely you have to take into account the fact that Zaha only just signed a new long term contract. That puts the onus on Arsenal to make an offer that CP can’t refuse. Hence coming in with a 40m bid really is kind of laughable.

Plus you seem to have got the age thing back to front. Younger players are typically cheaper, as there’s still a chance they won’t deliver on their potential. A signing with fewer unknowns, at their peak as a footballer, will usually be more expensive.
How is 40m for Zaha laughable? He's worth prob around max 50. No one else has bid all summer and no big club since he's been at palace right? What was our first bid for AWB? I see no difference in our low balling over the years or this example? These sums prob trump what we'd get for Martial who I'd never swap for Zaha.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
How is 40m for Zaha laughable? He's worth prob around max 50. No one else has bid all summer and no big club since he's been at palace right? What was our first bid for AWB? I see no difference in our low balling over the years or this example? These sums prob trump what we'd get for Martial who I'd never swap for Zaha.
The offer is laughable based on the going rate for top players changing PL clubs in recent years.

No idea what our “lowballing over the years” has to do with any of this. I’m not even sure what you’re on about? The only PL players we signed in recent years (Shaw and AWB) cost us an absolute fortune, considering the positions they play.

Ekeke

I remember the last player who was hyped up because of winning lots of penalties. Coincidently he was also a Palace player

Everton was the highest level he managed. Maybe winning penalties isnt as good as creating chances in open play. Maybe you get a reputation as well

RedorDead21

The offer is laughable based on the going rate for top players changing PL clubs in recent years.

No idea what our “lowballing over the years” has to do with any of this. I’m not even sure what you’re on about? The only PL players we signed in recent years (Shaw and AWB) cost us an absolute fortune, considering the positions they play.
Doesn't mean initial offers are not regularly way off true value. I'm just unclear as to why Arsenal doing the same is in any way news? Arsenal don't have the United tax.....no reason they should use us as an example on how to conduct transfer business.

PS. Given the 2 clubs involved here describing Zaha as a "top player".....is overstating it.

izec

Just glad we bought in Wan Bissaka. Dont care what happens here, although a sale would give us some money. Their owners are massive twats

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Can someone explain how the hell Arsenal are so broke? I know they lost out money missing out on the CL but they seem to have a smaller budget than almost every club in the league.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

I remember the last player who was hyped up because of winning lots of penalties. Coincidently he was also a Palace player

Everton was the highest level he managed. Maybe winning penalties isnt as good as creating chances in open play. Maybe you get a reputation as well
Andy Johnson had one good season in the PL, Zaha has had a few now. Not sure it's a fair comparison... still thanks for the blast from the past. I thought Johnson was such a prick. I remember him making such an outrageously over the top dive once that he landed on his head and nearly seriously hurt himself :lol:

Castia

Could get ugly this because no club on the planet is paying anywhere near £100m for Zaha, he’s being priced out of a move.

That being said Arsenal’s £40m offer is a little insulting. £65m is surely a good price point for Zaha he’s not worth more than that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Can someone explain how the hell Arsenal are so broke? I know they lost out money missing out on the CL but they seem to have a smaller budget than almost every club in the league.

A long read but enjoyable (if you’re not an Arsenal fan)

TL;DR they’re not very well run as a business

Rafaeldagold

40 is pretty insulting from Arsenal to be honest- 65-70 would get a deal done. Isn’t it pretty arrogant to just offer that? If I was Palace I’d play hardball now after that offer

Bestietom

40million is half of what Palace are looking for him. Probably stay put unless there is a player or 2 added to this.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Not as well paid as the gobshite we’re lumbered with, mind you.

Your gobshite at least knows how to make you money. Our gobshite promised us we'd be competing with Bayern and then fecked off to Milan after failing at his job

Ekeke

Andy Johnson had one good season in the PL, Zaha has had a few now. Not sure it's a fair comparison... still thanks for the blast from the past. I thought Johnson was such a prick. I remember him making such an outrageously over the top dive once that he landed on his head and nearly seriously hurt himself :lol:
Its just last season's penalty stats that I'm seeing.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Your gobshite at least knows how to make you money. Our gobshite promised us we'd be competing with Bayern and then fecked off to Milan after failing at his job
And the one and only club in the PL whose owner has injected precisely 0£.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Given Arsenal's owner's track record for his investment in sport, there is zero chance Arsenal will be competitive in the near future. I don't understand why any established star would join the club. Arsenal can't pay top salary, can't pay market rate transfer fee, and can't compete for the league title or even top 4. The club is in serious decline.

R'hllor

Cant tell exact numbers but isnt there some huge gap in win % between with Zaha and without.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Maybe so. I look at someone like Everton selling Stones for 50m and buying Bolasie for 26m and think the situations here are pretty comparable. Bolasie was obviously a better player then, in his prime, and more important to the club, but as he'd proven himself over the years to be nowhere near the top tier, he was nowhere top tier prices. Stones showed himself to be potentially top tier but there's still a significant risk 3 years on that he'll never make it. Or a world class Aubameyang being sold in his prime for 58m while a potentially world class (but currently inferior) Dembele goes for nearly double that, and 6 months later a potentially world class (but currently much inferior) Pulisic was sold for 50m.

It depends on how you judge the players I suppose. I don't know anything about AWB but I understand he's expected to be top tier, while Zaha's firmly established himself as being a long way off. I'd expect them to go for similar values and would be amazed if any club considered him to be worth nearly double.

I like you have very little interest in transfer values, but this "transfer market's gone crazy" line that gets thrown out every year always ignores the many, many players who go for unexceptional fees, before and after exceptional fees. Yes Ndombele has just went for 55m, but at the same time Andre Gomes went for 25m or Dendoncker just went for 12m. Some players with huge potential go for huge money while some players with great potential go for considerably less. Fred for 50m was huge money, and people start pointing to it as "well that's just the going rate these days" - but then Torreira and Seri were signed for half that, or a (notably older, but better) Moutinho went for one tenth of that, and they weren't "rated" particularly differently.

Last edited:

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Partly due to overpaying wages to absolute dross like Mustafi, Xhaka, Mkhitaryan etc. Overpaying Özil who has massively underperformed (particularly since signing the deal).

But mainly because Kroenke's not interested in taking any risk. He has a nice, cushtie little investment here - guaranteed revenue for minimal input. It's a longer discussion but ultimately the fans are to blame as we/they continue to endorse the regime - much like Newcastle in my opinion.

Hughes35

I'm a little surprised we aren't in for him. He can play right wing I think?

Doesn't sound too over priced either. He's desperate to leave and an offer of around 50Mil from us should do it if you take into account they would get the full amount instead of Utd getting a percentage.

Think that would be quite a nice deal tbh