Will Ole last beyond his next 3 games?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
No I wouldn't feel the same. But it is fair to say injuries are having a big say in results, and not replacing Herrera and Lukaku in the summer. If we had a top CF and Midfielder, we would have more points on the board. Woodward promised Ole, they would be replaced but because Lukaku deal was dragged until the very last day we were unable to find anybody. Plus some deals fell through, late.
I agree with all of it and ideally want Ole to be given another window and judged fully at the end of the season. Regardless of position, if there was some semblance of a style and improvement I would be happy to see him given the summer window.

My concern is if result don't pick up between now and December, and there's nothing to suggest they will, a) we'll be very low down the table and b) how much longer do you give him?

Bestietom

I agree with all of it and ideally want Ole to be given another window and judged fully at the end of the season. Regardless of position, if there was some semblance of a style and improvement I would be happy to see him given the summer window.

My concern is if result don't pick up between now and December, and there's nothing to suggest they will, a) we'll be very low down the table and b) how much longer do you give him?
He knows now exactly what we need and if he is backed and he can get these players, then I can see us improving greatly. If this don't happen, well then he should go.
The only fear I would have is would the next manager do any better with Woodward behind the transfers.

Volumiza

He knows now exactly what we need and if he is backed and he can get these players, then I can see us improving greatly. If this don't happen, well then he should go.
So, say we repeat the results we've had for the start of the season, no improvement in either performance or results, you would back him again in January regardless?

The only fear I would have is would the next manager do any better with Woodward behind the transfers.
Whatever manager came in would no doubt face the same difficulties in the transfer side of things but could they improve on field performance in the meantime? I think so.

Edit: I agree with you by the way.

Ludens the Red

I think your fear is misplaced, With Moyes, Lvg and Mourinho for all their faults, they never had us anywhere near the relegation zone. That is our current course under Ole, bar some Wigan 2009-2011 miraculous recovery in form, that is precisely where we’re headed.
I can’t really wrap my head round the posters in this thread genuinely implying Ole should see this through regardless. As in, in what world is it acceptable for Manchester United to be in a relegation battle?
It doesn’t matter about a plan or how bad Woodward is or this or that, if we’re in a relegation battle beyond this month there is absolutely no way in hell Ole should remain manager.

Bestietom

I think your fear is misplaced, With Moyes, Lvg and Mourinho for all their faults, they never had us anywhere near the relegation zone. That is our current course under Ole, bar some Wigan 2009-2011 miraculous recovery in form, that is precisely where we’re headed.
I can’t really wrap my head round the posters in this thread genuinely implying Ole should see this through regardless. As in, in what world is it acceptable for Manchester United to be in a relegation battle?
It doesn’t matter about a plan or how bad Woodward is or this or that, if we’re in a relegation battle beyond this month there is absolutely no way in hell Ole should remain manager.
Think you are getting carried away. We wont be anywhere near the relegation zone by end of season with Ole in charge. If anything we will be around 6th/7th. With adding 2 players in January ( Hopefully) we will climb up the table. IMO.

Volumiza

... That is our current course ...
If you take the results since the PSG match, we would definately be in trouble.

if we’re in a relegation battle beyond this month there is absolutely no way in hell Ole should remain manager.
This is my thought also. If current performances / results continue to December we should not allow it to carry on as although some people think relegation is out of the question, our current form is 100% relegation form.

Rubbish owners and board aside, if Brendan Rogers had been brought in instead of Ole, does anyone actually think we wouldn't be in a better position and playing better football? Honestly?

RedNed77

You don't get relegated in November. Even if all of the "TopTopReds" on this threads wildest dreams come true, we lose to Liverpool, Norwich, Bournemouth & Chelsea and we end up bottom, Ole won't be fired yet and rightly so. If we're still in the relegation places at the end of January then maybe a managerial change will be justified. Have some patience for fecks sake. You get the same trophy for 15th that you do for 5th.

AneRu

If you take the results since the PSG match, we would definately be in trouble.

This is my thought also. If current performances / results continue to December we should not allow it to carry on as although some people think relegation is out of the question, our current form is 100% relegation form.

Rubbish owners and board aside, if Brendan Rogers had been brought in instead of Ole, does anyone actually think we wouldn't be in a better position and playing better football? Honestly?
The worrying thing is that the slide has been sustained for over six months now and if we fall into the relegation dogfight I don't see Ole and this squad pulling out of it or Woodward acting in time to give us a proper chance of survival. Another thing we forget is that every poor season makes the rebuild job even harder for next season because without European football you can't attract top talent.

Volumiza

You don't get relegated in November. Even if all of the "TopTopReds" on this threads wildest dreams come true, we lose to Liverpool, Norwich, Bournemouth & Chelsea and we end up bottom,
Seriously, who on this entire forum (other clubs fans aside) is dreaming of that? Ridiculous statement.

If we're still in the relegation places at the end of January then maybe a managerial change will be justified.
  1. 'Still in the relegation places'? - We shouldn't be there in the first place. Even with our squad.
  2. And what seriously is the difference between end of December and of end of January?
Have some patience for fecks sake. You get the same trophy for 15th that you do for 5th.
I would agree with that statement if I didn't look back at our performances and results since PSG. THis is not a 'this season' thing, it has been going on since March. We have been dreadful or close to it since that night. This is not a blip, this is what we are. That is plenty of time for a manager to at least show he is 'capable' of steering us in the right direction. Has Ole shown us that since his initial run?

Volumiza

The worrying thing is that the slide has been sustained for over six months now and if we fall into the relegation dogfight I don't see Ole and this squad pulling out of it or Woodward acting in time to give us a proper chance of survival. Another thing we forget is that every poor season makes the rebuild job even harder for next season because without European football you can't attract top talent.
exactlytastic AneRu.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Did him a favour by trying to run this squad with less players and taking a lower wage bill.

We've obviously had to recoup some money back from the heavy spending of previous managers.

All along Woodward + Solskjaer have said they have a long term plan, this is just step 1. We've had to clear some players/space in the squad and will replace them, but it's gone worse than we first expected. I suspect Ole thought we'd be fine until January then get reinforcements.

I don't think Woodward will be as upset as the fanbase are right now. With context we have been a bit unlucky with the injuries and certain key moments in matches going against us - but he will need to improve.

I don't see anything happening quickly. At least not until nearer the summer anyway.
Every manager has a long term plan, until they got sacked

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Every manager has a long term plan, until they got sacked
Well yes, but this isn't just Ole's plan. It seems he and Woodward are in this together.

He's recently come out and given his full backing, so I don't see Solskjaer getting sacked any time soon. I think Woodward realises the players just aren't good enough after all.

I'm not sure he was fully behind Jose before as he was so hard to work with and the players disliked him.

Ole has given the players all the love and public backing they need and they're not pulling their weight.

Unless we seriously drop into the bottom half and show no signs of progress I can't see him going.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well yes, but this isn't just Ole's plan. It seems he and Woodward are in this together.

He's recently come out and given his full backing, so I don't see Solskjaer getting sacked any time soon. I think Woodward realises the players just aren't good enough after all.

I'm not sure he was fully behind Jose before as he was so hard to work with and the players disliked him.

Ole has given the players all the love and public backing they need and they're not pulling their weight.

Unless we seriously drop into the bottom half and show no signs of progress I can't see him going.
Woodward certainly looks a lot more patient with Ole, but results surely can't be ignored at the same time. He's a bigger problem than Ole is, that's the sad thing.

Bestietom

I agree, You don't get relegated in December and there CAN be a big change with a couple of new players in January

AneRu

Then you don't know Woodward or the Glazers, Woodward will back Ole to the hilt because contractually he has avoid seeming to undermine the manager but when the decision is made in Florida all Woodward will have to do is deliver the message. The Glazers will back Ole until the focus reins in on them and they will offer him up as a sacrificial lamb, right now they are receiving bad press and it will only get worse from here on in especially if Liverpool have their way with us meaning that they will pull the plug. If this form continues, Ole will be gone don't kid yourself.

Revaulx

The timing and circumstances of the sacking will be planned in such a way as to minimise Ed's embarrassment and loss of face.

It'll be something along the lines of "The Club's (i.e. my) plan is the right one; it's only the execution that's faulty. We will ensure continuity by appointing a manager better able to carry it forward."

Which is why I wouldn't rule out Southgate :nervous:

JoaquinJoaquin

He will stay until January at the very least unless we are in the relegation zones (which is a very real possibility)

Adam-Utd

Woodward certainly looks a lot more patient with Ole, but results surely can't be ignored at the same time. He's a bigger problem than Ole is, that's the sad thing.
I hope behind the scenes he realises he's made some mistakes. He's publically talked about the commercial over football agenda which can only be a good thing.

If this isn't backed up now he will end up looking very silly. Things did look better this summer in the recruitment sense, I can only hope we get extra reinforcements this winter.
I agree, You don't get relegated in December and there CAN be a big change with a couple of new players in January
A win against Liverpool this weekend and we might suddenly spring back into life - stranger things have happened. We as fans are always more pessimistic than others, but any team will miss 4 key players to their squad. Take TAA/Firmino/Robertson/Fabinho out of Liverpool and it would look completely differnet.

Then you don't know Woodward or the Glazers, Woodward will back Ole to the hilt because contractually he has avoid seeming to undermine the manager but when the decision is made in Florida all Woodward will have to do is deliver the message. The Glazers will back Ole until the focus reins in on them and they will offer him up as a sacrificial lamb, right now they are receiving bad press and it will only get worse from here on in especially if Liverpool have their way with us meaning that they will pull the plug. If this form continues, Ole will be gone don't kid yourself.
If the Glazers go above Woodward then fine - but I don't think they will. I think Woodward has more power than you realise, he's a big share holder at the club also.

He's made zero noise about being unhappy with Ole's work so far, all the noise has been from the fans which is fair enough. We're 8 games into the season so panic mode hasn't hit yet.

AneRu

I hope behind the scenes he realises he's made some mistakes. He's publically talked about the commercial over football agenda which can only be a good thing.

If this isn't backed up now he will end up looking very silly. Things did look better this summer in the recruitment sense, I can only hope we get extra reinforcements this winter.

A win against Liverpool this weekend and we might suddenly spring back into life - stranger things have happened. We as fans are always more pessimistic than others, but any team will miss 4 key players to their squad. Take TAA/Firmino/Robertson/Fabinho out of Liverpool and it would look completely differnet.

If the Glazers go above Woodward then fine - but I don't think they will. I think Woodward has more power than you realise, he's a big share holder at the club also.

He's made zero noise about being unhappy with Ole's work so far, all the noise has been from the fans which is fair enough. We're 8 games into the season so panic mode hasn't hit yet.
He also made zero noise about being unhappy with Moyes and Van Gaal to the extent that the former went on to scout Shaw, Herrera and Kroos for next season before he unceremoniously got the sack. Woodward will never be able to challenge the Glazers, they are the reason he is there and even then he is not an idiot. As long as a decision to sack hasn't been made they will have to defend him otherwise he could claim that he was undermined by the board and make compensation negotiations difficult but that is no license to throw away the season because you are on a rebuild, Moyes did that and paid with his career.

Revaulx

Spot on.

Woodward has his work cut out to sever the umbilical cord, so he'll hang on in there a bit longer in the hope that things improve. If they don't he'll start taking credit for the successful bits of the project (i.e. the signings) and saddling Ole with the blame for the results. If he waits too long and the new signings go off the boil he won't even be able to resort to that.

Adam-Utd

He also made zero noise about being unhappy with Moyes and Van Gaal to the extent that the former went on to scout Shaw, Herrera and Kroos for next season before he unceremoniously got the sack. Woodward will never be able to challenge the Glazers, they are the reason he is there and even then he is not an idiot. As long as a decision to sack hasn't been made they will have to defend him otherwise he could claim that he was undermined by the board and make compensation negotiations difficult but that is no license to throw away the season because you are on a rebuild, Moyes did that and paid with his career.
I'm not really sure what your point is.

Yes eventually if they feel Solskjaer isn't up to the job they'll sack him, but he's clearly a long way from that IMO. Some people think he might go if we lose to Liverpool :lol:

AneRu

I'm not really sure what your point is.

Yes eventually if they feel Solskjaer isn't up to the job they'll sack him, but he's clearly a long way from that IMO. Some people think he might go if we lose to Liverpool :lol:
No one knows the future so there is that. On current form sacking him after losing to Liverpool will be completely justified because that would be what, 4 wins in 22? My point is you can't infer from Woodward's words that Ole is safe for the time being when the same people have previously offered the same backing to previous and more qualified managers only to sack them when they least expected it, he is not clearly a long way from the sack. You are putting too much weight on what is just a routine supportive statement that executives roll out in times of crisis.

Adam-Utd

No one knows the future so there is that. On current form sacking him after losing to Liverpool will be completely justified because that would be what, 4 wins in 22? My point is you can't infer from Woodward's words that Ole is safe for the time being when the same people have previously offered the same backing to previous and more qualified managers only to sack them when they least expected it, he is not clearly a long way from the sack. You are putting too much weight on what is just a routine supportive statement that executives roll out in times of crisis.
If he was on the verge of being sacked he wouldn't come out publically and says he's happy. He would keep quiet.

Yes his run of form ISN'T GOOD and should rightly be questioned, but he's pretty much said he isn't bothered by that and expects it to be just a blip.
No doubt he realises the injuries and lack of talent in the 2nd string has been a major problem of this.

Once the players return if this continues then i'm sure he and the staff will come under more pressure. I don't expect this to continue either personally.

Adam-Utd

A blip is 6 - 7 matches not 6 - 7 months.
While that's true, the team wasn't performing much better under Jose either. It's clear that it wasn't JUST the manager, the squad needs improving.

Enigma_87

You know who
While that's true, the team wasn't performing much better under Jose either. It's clear that it wasn't JUST the manager, the squad needs improving.
As soon as the team started to underperform under Jose, he lost his job.

Volumiza

I don't think anyone is suggesting it is only the manager that is at fault. Anyone who has been a Utd fan for >20 years or so can see that this is by far the worst squad we've had in a very long time.

I still can't help likening to Brendan Rogers - if he'd have come instead of Ole does anyone actually think we'd be as badly off in terms of player performance as we are now?

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't think anyone is suggesting it is only the manager that is at fault. Anyone who has been a Utd fan for >20 years or so can see that this is by far the worst squad we've had in a very long time.

I still can't help likening to Brendan Rogers - if he'd have come instead of Ole does anyone actually think we'd be as badly off in terms of player performance as we are now?
He has a huge part of it overseeing the last transfer window and that being 'part of the plan'.

Adam-Utd

As soon as the team started to underperform under Jose, he lost his job.
I think the main reason was Jose's attitude personally. He fell out with several players, butted heads with the upper management, publically slagged off the club.

He made his own bed, the club were actually very patient performance wise IMO.

Ole isn't rocking the boat and trying to progess which is why he's getting more leniancy.

He has a huge part of it overseeing the last transfer window and that being 'part of the plan'.
Ole's signings were good.

Jose and Woodward completely disagreed on players which was exactly why we ended up with a muddled up squad.

Eric's Seagull

Think he will stay until at least January. At the moment the injuries and hot replacing Herrera and Lukaku is affecting us badly. Once the players return from injury I think we do better. Really hoping for some decent additions in January.

martinhl

Liverpool (H)
Norwich (A)
Bournemouth (A)

Currently 2 points above relegation and 5 points from top 4. The other contenders have fixtures where 7-9 points is conceivable for them, Where's 1-4 points is more conceivable for us.

Is the line drawn then? Or do you think he will be given more time?

I don't enjoy entertaining the idea that a legend will be sacked but at this stage, it seems a matter of when rather than if. Would love him to go on a run but I don't see how, even if I try.
Am interested to know, how do you as fans cope with the situation at the club.

Nikelesh Reddy

Liverpool (H)
Norwich (A)
Bournemouth (A)

Currently 2 points above relegation and 5 points from top 4. The other contenders have fixtures where 7-9 points is conceivable for them, Where's 1-4 points is more conceivable for us.

Is the line drawn then? Or do you think he will be given more time?

I don't enjoy entertaining the idea that a legend will be sacked but at this stage, it seems a matter of when rather than if. Would love him to go on a run but I don't see how, even if I try.
He will eventually get the sack at some point this season,the timing is irrelevant.We just have to anoint the right man to succeed him...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He will eventually get the sack at some point this season,the timing is irrelevant.We just have to anoint the right man to succeed him...
The right man being available will be dependent on the timing of his sacking, so I'd disagree there.

crossy1686

career ending
We will fall into the relegation zone and Ole won't get sacked. Instead we'll panic buy and spend silly money on players we don't need instead because that was all thats available. We'll finish the season somewhere around 10th.

Kemizee

Think you are getting carried away. We wont be anywhere near the relegation zone by end of season with Ole in charge. If anything we will be around 6th/7th. With adding 2 players in January ( Hopefully) we will climb up the table. IMO.
You are quite optimistic. What I see weekly with my eyes tell me a different story.

koop

Would be idiotic to fire him regardless.

Unless these Allegri rumours are true, then Ole could be on a timer depending on how the match against Liverpool goes.

Either way, the team is shite and it feels woeful to sacrifice Ole for that. I would give Ole January and maybe summer transfer window (Depending on how the January one goes).
Hopefully we can bring in 3-4 players in January..:houllier::wenger:

AneRu

I only agree to a point. I still trace the start of the decline of our squad back to 2009.
I personally don't think the first eleven is that bad, its 3 players short but when you actually look at it we have the back four covered, two starting midfielders (Pogba and Mctominay) and two positions out of three in attack covered. If we had a top DM, RW and striker (back up or starting depending on how you view Martial) we would be fine for this season's requirements, which is basically a top 4 finish.

So basically the signings we overlooked or postponed are the ones hurting the team right now. The failure to see that Matic was done and that we needed to replace Herrera at the very least was shambolic.

Another poor decision was keeping around utterly useless players like Mata, Matic, Pereira, Rojo and Fred. The problem with keeping these players around is that you inevitably have to use them for extended periods when key players get injured and this drags the quality of the team down. My issue with Ole is that he knows that these players are useless yet keeps on using them and tactics which makes them prominent in the side and expose their weaknesses. Do we lose anything in terms of quality if we use Garner instead of Fred?

Last edited: