Will you watch the Women's World Cup?

Pronewbie

Peep
I may watch a couple of competitive matches if it's hyped (rivals matches, bad blood etc.) and have nothing else on.

Understand that the ladies have put in a lot of effort (so do the men) but I barely watch football these days since there are a plethora of options I find more entertaining and rewarding.

If the mainstream programming and propaganda attacks my consumption behaviour as misognystic then so be it.

Media literacy is key.

gorgonzola_viola

Supports
Football
Nothing weird about it. It wasn't a 50 men brawl that stopped the match. It was typical female weakness where when they don't like something they throw their toys out of the pram and go home while crying about the unfairness of it all and how they need to be treated better. And get more money. I'm not supporting that.
I've seen Diego Maradonna being assulted every step of the way and he got on with it, many many examples like that. That I can get behind.
When those men's games get cancelled for agression the agression is real. This was nothing.
Typical female weakness? Are you on a wind up?

Enigma_87

You know who
I’ve watched worse..

but no, don’t have the time for it nor the desire for it. The quality just isn’t there

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'll have it on in the background and see if any games grabs my attention.

Devil You Know

The Championship, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc. are all played at a much much much higher level than the Women's World Cup and I don't watch any of those. So from a quality perspective, there's nothing to entice me.

Also, I don't have enough nationalist tendencies to give two hoots about how well England are doing.

Nothing against it, but I have zero interest.

pastyfool

Well I just broke my ankle / tibia on Saturday and in a boots with orders to completely rest it and not to stand on it until I have the op in two weeks time, after which I'll be in a cast or boot for 6-8 weeks.

I was going to watch some of the matches anyway but looks like i'll be in it watching most of them now
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

sirAlexsglasses

100% no, sorry it just doesn’t interest me at all, the quality is shocking in comparison to men’s football, and I can’t believe that their achievements were lauded as much as they were. Yes they did well but as I say, the standards are terrible, this was obvious when they put 2-3 lower league payers in against their top 5 for a kick about and they were literally run rings around. Fair play to the people behind it as they saw a massive marketing gap an an cash in.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
What? That's like saying I'll obviously watch the Premier League because I watched the World Snooker Championship.
The only women's sport I will check the schedule to know when it's on is Athletics (100m to 400m).
If it's the only thing on TV like some of the Ashes matches were, which surprisingly I found interesting then I will watch it. Given that I am bigger fan of football than cricket then like above I will probably watch it.

r1z3mu

No, I will not watch it. Never liked slow boring games.

Gordon S

I will try to catch Swedens games. Can be pretty fun and exciting games at times imo.

Gordon S

Honestly a bit surprised that so many people on here seem to be absolutely fuming about this topic!
If you don`t like it you don`t have watch it. No need to get worked up about it?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Nothing weird about it. It wasn't a 50 men brawl that stopped the match. It was typical female weakness where when they don't like something they throw their toys out of the pram and go home while crying about the unfairness of it all and how they need to be treated better. And get more money. I'm not supporting that.
I've seen Diego Maradonna being assulted every step of the way and he got on with it, many many examples like that. That I can get behind.
When those men's games get cancelled for agression the agression is real. This was nothing.
What the feck are you talking about?

We need an rvn

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Many thanks. I just ruined the summer holiday plans for my wife and kids (at the age where they are selfish and don’t think about anything else but themselves and the pictures and til tok posts they could make to post on line, the kids are annoyed too ;))

That’s shit. I had a terrible ankle/tibia break 5 weeks ago. First 2 weeks in hospital with external fixation and then had the operation 3 weeks ago. I still have 3 more weeks minimum before I can put any weight on the foot, and will have to use crutches for 3 more months minimum. Hope you were/are luckier than me, I had a really bad one, and will be lucky to heal close to 100%.
Very sorry to hear that mate. I can’t put any weight on it at all and in agony when I do by mistake, but didn’t have to go to hospital for anything other than an X-ray to confirm the break and then wait for the operation to put a screw in place to fix the lower tibia that’s broken off around the ankle. Yours sounds a lot worse than mine and given how I feel, I can only imagine your pain and recovery.
Truly wish you a full recovery as I think I’ll be fine - but dread having a screw in my bone for some reason

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Better not say this in the streets...

HookedOnAPhelan

Many thanks. I just ruined the summer holiday plans for my wife and kids (at the age where they are selfish and don’t think about anything else but themselves and the pictures and til tok posts they could make to post on line, the kids are annoyed too ;))

Very sorry to hear that mate. I can’t put any weight on it at all and in agony when I do by mistake, but didn’t have to go to hospital for anything other than an X-ray to confirm the break and then wait for the operation to put a screw in place to fix the lower tibia that’s broken off around the ankle. Yours sounds a lot worse than mine and given how I feel, I can only imagine your pain and recovery.
Truly wish you a full recovery as I think I’ll be fine - but dread having a screw in my bone for some reason
Thanks, same to you mate.

I know it probably doesn't help much but count yourself lucky you're getting away with the one screw, this is how the inside of my foot looks now:

gorgonzola_viola

Supports
Football
Incel language, I guess we're attracting those kinds now too.
Red flags all over that post. They were probably one step away from asking who will be making their husbands dinner while they are away.

Red_Aaron

I was always previously in the 'no, the quality is shit' camp but I'm reforming a little. It's definitely improving though the keeper quality continues to be an issue for me. I wonder if smaller goals might help (don't flame me for being sexist - I mean well!)

I imagine they'll be some absolute shockers in the early rounds but I thought the last euro final actually had a lot of good in it. England's first goal and the equaliser were very good goals.

I'll watch the final and possibly the semi if England are there

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
I'm more excited for this than I was for the Qatar World Cup, which felt like a chore to watch especially as it was in the middle of the season. And it feels quite open this year. Hopefully England can repeat their success from last year, although there's still the chance that USA blows everyone else away as usual.

Same with the men's team though, United is far more important to me than England and I'm far more interested in next season, and seeing United in the Women's Champions League for the first time.

HookedOnAPhelan

Scheisse!!!! I’m scared now.

is that stuff ever coming out or are you stuck with it?
The plan apparently is for it to stay in there for the rest of my life. Unless it causes me a lot of pain or discomfort, then it’s a possibility that it might have to be removed.

You’ll be fine :)

Wing Attack Plan R

Yes. Not as closely as I watched the men's World Cup. One of the most emotionally wrenching matches I've seen was a USA game where we were down but leveled in stoppage time. Then in extra time we were again down, and Rapinoe hared 80 yards up the wing (in the 125th minute or so), whipped in an insane cross, and Abby Wambach bashed it in with her head. It was amazing.

shit post

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Probably not. For as much as it's improving, it just doesn't give the same buzz as watching elite sport on the men's side.

I don't follow it but how many good sides are there?

Jules_T

I'm in Wellington, New Zealand. I've bought tickets to two group games and a quarter final.
I'm looking forward to see how it goes and what the subordinate in the stadium is like.
Our local professional team gets crowds of about 7,000 for the games. The stadium in Wellington has a capacity of 35,000.

It will be a novelty to see the stadium full.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm in Wellington, New Zealand. I've bought tickets to two group games and a quarter final.
I'm looking forward to see how it goes and what the subordinate in the stadium is like.
Our local professional team gets crowds of about 7,000 for the games. The stadium in Wellington has a capacity of 35,000.

It will be a novelty to see the stadium full.
How much interest is there within New Zealand for this? Have ticket sales gone well?

I know the team are unlikely to get out the group which is always a shame for home nation interest

Bebe

I'll try to watch a match or two. I haven't watched more than ten minutes of any women's match since the Canada-USA olympic semi-final in 2012 (if you're interested, watch the highlights to see one of the most absurd and decisive officiating decisions ever). I remember thinking at the time that most of the players would be outclassed by any male university level footballer in Canada, which is not a very high standard. The only players that impressed were Sinclair, Wambach, Morgan and Rapinoe.

I've seen a few clips over the years since that seem to indicate the standard of play has shot up in women's football since, so I'll check this out and update my opinion. Not expecting much, but open to being pleasantly surprised.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nah. There's already to much football and of people are honest with themselves, watching one professional nation humiliate what is basically a group of amateurs by ridiculous scorelines just isn't entertaining.

Having looked at the first round of fixtures and then seeing some of the sides previous results, there will be quite a few blood baths.

The overall level is low but I understand it is trying to improve and I hope it does. But the gap between the top few and everyone else is enormous, far bigger than in the men's game.

Because of this I do think there is a real possibility that rather than the level of the game rise overall, it could actually damage the women's game in the long term as more and more nations get left behind. Allowing the game to grow more naturally might have been a better, though far longer road to follow.
You do have a point on the group matches and there is likely to be some big mismatches, but the level in the knockouts will be much higher

Part of me thinks they have grown the WWC too quickly (first time 32 teams) and the quality will suffer in the group stage. But I'm sure if you ask debut countries like Zambia/Haiti/Phillipines etc they would rather be there and get smashed 10nil then not be there at all

Jules_T

How much interest is there within New Zealand for this? Have ticket sales gone well?

I know the team are unlikely to get out the group which is always a shame for home nation interest
Ticket sales haven't been as high as they want. I think it's been better in Australia. But NZers are notorious with last minute ticket sales and turning up on the day.
So let's see.
The marketing for the event has been quite low-key.

Jules_T

And yes, NZW are useless they will be lucky to score a goal.

I have tickets to see them play the Philippines next week.

I was born in England so I will also support them. But England aren't playing in Wellington.

I'm looking forward to seeing the quarter final.

Scriblerus

Yes. They don't have the pace or power of the men's game, but in the last couple of years the women's teams have become more tactically aware, and the matches much more entertaining. And Russo (now of Arsenal, boo) scored a back heel goal in the Euros that was brilliant in its cheek.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Won't watch for the same reason I don't watch Conference League games.

But good that it seemingly get's a lot of attention. Maybe that money pouring in will raise the level of play in a few year's time.

mitChley

Yeah I'll watch it, the womens Euros were great, can't see any reason this won't be similar.