Wot, no transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smores

Of course it's essential. He has some good players at his disposal but he's not getting the best out of them. That's a key aspect of his job description. If he can't make these players work, how can we expect that just throwing money for more of his signings will make things better?
Two of his CB signings cost the club £60M and Mourinho is not getting the best out of them (when not injured), and one spends most of his time warming the bench.
Not because you have money, it doesn't mean you should be reckless with it. These things have consequences.
Then you sack him. You don't purposefully not fill key weaknesses as a punishment. Either you hope things improve (and they have so far even if not enough) in which case back him because it is needed or you get someone else in. The idea that a couple more signings is reckless is a bit much.

redmanc

£100m GBP for Harry Fecking Maguire, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... sorry just fell off my chair....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Edit: you did me there, i also missed the omission of the m after the £100. £100 probably seems about right. As you were :nervous:
Haha sorry, OP said 65 so i just went with it :D

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think the truth is pretty simple: there are very few quality players who are available.

If Real Madrid - flush with cash and needing new players - can't find anyone worth buying, it says it all.
They have a much better team than us though, so that obviously narrows down their options compared to us.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
We bought Sanchez in jan. have to think that counted against the summer budget.

———-de gea
——-Bailly—Smalling
Valencia—Matic——Young
———Fred——Pogba
Lukaku——————Rashford
————-Sanchez

That’s a title challenging side if we can get Pogba and Sanchez firing

nycender

The most frustrating thing in all this is we finished 2nd, our best finish since Fergie left and we seem to have shied away from making a big commitment to closing that gap. We are apparently the richest club in all the lands but hardly assert ourselves in the transfer market.

nycender

———-de gea
——-Bailly—Smalling
Valencia—Matic——Young
———Fred——Pogba
Lukaku——————Martial
————-Sanchez

That’s a title challenging side
I was under the assumption that Sanchez was effectively a swap with Mkhi so didn't really cost anything?

Reactions: Sultan

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

———-de gea
——-Bailly—Smalling
Valencia—Matic——Young
———Fred——Pogba
Lukaku——————Rashford
————-Sanchez

That’s a title challenging side
If everyone plays to their potential yes.
I can't believe we've seen Sanchez at more than about 50% yet, so a lot depends on him really performing well from the off.
If him, Pogba, Lukaku, and Fred, who has a lot of pressure on his shoulders as being the one who will tie it all together, we could be excellent.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Manager mad
Poor transfer window
Best player mad about manager and wants out

What part of this equation gives you a sense of optimism?
Expectations have been set ridiculously low, as people forget we came 2nd, even with a fair few dodgy results, and massive failure to integrate Sanchez effectively.

If he gets going, I think we can be a real force, whether or not we sign a centre back tomorrow.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Expectations have been set ridiculously low, as people forget we came 2nd, even with a fair few dodgy results, and massive failure to integrate Sanchez effectively.

If he gets going, I think we can be a real force, whether or not we sign a centre back tomorrow.
Unless Pogba performs well, we still don't have a player capable of linking midfield and attack. That much was painfully clear all of last season and even in the preseason. Sanchez and Lukaku will be chasing lost causes at the half way line while the midfield is standing outside our own box without a capable creative midfielder. The manager's shit tactics don't help either. Its like everyone is moving forward while we are stuck in neutral.

Shiva87

Then you sack him. You don't purposefully not fill key weaknesses as a punishment. Either you hope things improve (and they have so far even if not enough) in which case back him because it is needed or you get someone else in. The idea that a couple more signings is reckless is a bit much.
Just in case you forgot, the board already made a couple of signings for him early in the window. He is hankering for more now.

The most frustrating thing in all this is we finished 2nd, our best finish since Fergie left and we seem to have shied away from making a big commitment to closing that gap. We are apparently the richest club in all the lands but hardly assert ourselves in the transfer market.
Do you really think we need that much more? City were brilliant last season and the club will need a whole new approach if it wants to close that gap by scoring 20 more points. I can't see a Jose team (reactionary tactics) score 100+ points to win the premier league. (I know he did it at Real but that was different). The gap will likely be closed by City scoring 10 or so lesser points and United scoring that many more. Our current squad should be good enough to do that - even without more additions. The RW and LB are two glaring weaknesses, but doesn't look like Jose was addressing those either.

Manager mad
Poor transfer window
Best player mad about manager and wants out

What part of this equation gives you a sense of optimism?
Strangely, the part that everyone is totally downbeat about the season. A surprise (however unlikely) will be brilliant. And obviously, watching United games again on a weekly basis.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
If him, Pogba, Lukaku, and Fred, who has a lot of pressure on his shoulders as being the one who will tie it all together, we could be excellent.
Agree. The defence is fairly commonly acknowledged to be the weakest part of the team, and other than RW the front six are quality; yet it's the forward play that is the most incoherent element of play.

I'm with Woodward this summer - Jose must start to prove why he's worth sticking with.

Twam

Pogba for Dembele and cash, Toby and Milinkovic Savic to be done tomorrow, busy, busy day. I'm sorry, I'm just such a bloody optimist.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
This I agree with. The board look like they've lost faith, so what's the point? They need to be decisive for sure.

buckooo1978

crazy that 90% of the speculation has been about CBs, and very very little on LB and especially RW which I feel is our weakest area

This I agree with. The board look like they've lost faith, so what's the point? They need to be decisive for sure.
There is no conspiracy. If Utd didn’t think Jose was the right man, he would have gone. The board are clearly behind the manager.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Listening to Steve Parish (owners perspective) regarding transfers is very interesting.

AngliaRed

———-de gea
——-Bailly—Smalling
Valencia—Matic——Young
———Fred——Pogba
Lukaku——————Rashford
————-Sanchez

That looks decent on paper, however any team with Valencia & Young will struggle! Literally no attacking threat whatsoever. I have rated Young last season and he’s a great squad player but not a season long LB.

There’s pages and pages on here as to why Valencia needs replacing ASAP.

I like the Matic, Fred and Pogba midfield 3.

I would put Lukaku CF and put Lingard on RF instead of rashford.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

———-de gea
——-Bailly—Smalling
Valencia—Matic——Young
———Fred——Pogba
Lukaku——————Rashford
————-Sanchez

Fullbacks are rubbish. Smalling is nowhere near what others have on the ball. Then you consider Jose is the manager so (based on his time here so far) most of those attackers will be underperforming massively at various points in the season. We’d be relying on shithouse wins again.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Its okay lads. Look at this. We're well covered in defence.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Its okay lads. Look at this. We're well covered in defence.
To his credit, Jonah has scored some absolutely outstanding own-goals in his time at United.

That half-volley toepoke that rocketed into the top corner was a goal of the season contender.

Last edited:

buchansleftleg

I think we are now so far down Jose's list that a member of redcafe will be the next person to be contacted by Ed and asked if they are a ball playing centre back.

Can we all agree that if Ed rings you that you should say "buy someone for the right wing first and we can talk"

After that it's down to you what contact you hold out for.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
I would rather we didn't buy anybody than 'panic' buy for the sake of buying.

The quality simply isn't available for one reason or another.

Crashoutcassius

Look, if we sign no one else, are we really that bad? We have a very solid core in Pogba, Sanchez, Bailly, Lukaku, De Gea, Fred, Matic, and some great players in Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Lindelof, etc. We severely under-performed last season and I for one, am willing to believe our players have a lot more to give and they will.

EDIT: In regards to our fullbacks, Valencia and Young barely put a foot wrong last season and ironically are two of the fittest players in the team. Arsenal signed Lichtensteiner, who is 34. Age is nothing but a number.
We several underperformed and got a points total that would win most premiership. Shows that we ca easy back a few points on and have had a great season

Zoo

We’re close to the 4th signing says Chris Wheeler in the Mail. Whether you choose to believe that is another matter.

James Peril

———-de gea
——-Bailly—Smalling
Valencia—Matic——Young
———Fred——Pogba
Lukaku——————Rashford
————-Sanchez

Sadly it is not, not even close. Valencia and Young aren’t top class, the wing-backs are so important these days - especially for a team struggling with attacking fluidity. Fred could be the answer to midfield control, but who knows? Chances are he’s something in between great and average for a Premier League-midfielder. Rashford is not top notch, not yet anyway - and he has no chemistry with Sanchez and Lukaku. And you’re running Lukaku down the flanks? Good luck with defensive contribution, the right side would let in 20 goals over a season.

So you have a striker that can’t hold the line in a Mourinho-team, a bulldozer on the right that’s slow on the turn and with a questionable touch as well as Rash on the left - a player known for shooting from all angles and not playing to his mates. Lukaku is rubbish at defensive work as well, just runs after the ball without having any plan to catch it.

Zoo

Cheers. I read the article and I don't see it saying that we're close to a 4th signing. I could be blind though.
‘United were on Wednesday night believed to be close to clinching their fourth transfer of the summer before the window closes at 5pm on Thursday.’

Status
Not open for further replies.